• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Terrell

Even then. I want to lay my hands on that controller. And i kmow i'm going to love it. But crisper then even the i pad 2.... Hell..even the original ipad? I guess no.

The rumored PPI put it higher than an iPad 2, but outside the range of a Retina Display.

And the original iPad and the iPad 2 use the same screen resolution, BTW. Only change was who made the panel because the panel became thinner.

Expect some changes concerning the screen at E3 though. E3 2011 & 2012 padlet screens won't be the same. But it doesn't mean its overall quality witnessed last year won't be present or even better in two months heh :)

What do you mean ? Resolution ? Technology ? Quality ?

1. Why show it in that form at E3 2011, then?

An E3 2011 reveal would have made sense, had they stuck to what I'm guessing was their original plan to launch early in FY 2013 (no later than July). They didn't.

For what it's worth, it's completely unprecedented for new hardware to be shown in playable form two E3s in a row before launching in any territory.

Ah, okay. I'll make a change, then.

2.5GHz custom tri-core OoOE PPC @45nm
-3MB cache
240-400 R700 SPUs @ 500MHz @40nm
- 8 ROPs, 16 texture units, 16MiB eDRAM
1GiB GDDR3 RAM for games, 512MiB for OS
-128-bit bus, 600-700MHz

Wow ! That would be really lame ! I would be so disappointed.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I see a negative side to Nintendo improving the controller.

The more Nintendo improves that controller, the more costly that controller will become.

And the more costly it becomes, the less likely Nintendo will sell it seperately in stores for local multiplayer.

I don't know if it will improve, but the screen on the padlet is subject to slight changes. Not huge changes don't get me wrong :)

I blame Brussels

The Euro was introduced way too high from the very beginning. A lot of economies had massive troubles because of the ridiculously high market introduction of the Euro. You can see the effects of it (as well as the rampant curruption) in Greece, Spain and Italy (save us Monti).

I personally expect the WiiU to come in at 350 or 399 Euros. The 3DS was 250 at launch, and if I recall right, the Wii was 250 as well when it came out. With the Tablet Controller the price seems realistic.

Now I don't want to justify the price as being adequate, as I don't know the WiiUs specs or pack in contents, but anyone asuming a console that packs in a freaking tablet controller with a 6 inch screen with modest specs to come in at less than 300 Euros is simply delusional.

Now, going by historic price comparisons, this would mean the US price being 350 to 399 Dollars. Which even if we lowball the specs of the console (aside from the utterly stupidity of being worse than 360 and PS3) should seem reasonable for at least the first year on the market.

I don't know if it will improve, but the screen on the padlet is subject to slight changes. Not huge changes don't get me wrong :)

As long as they improve the light matrix on the screen, and add some analog triggers, they can keep everything the same for all I care.

The clouding in the photographs could be a problem of the photosensors though, as most images were shot in low light situations, which would cause the camera sensors to bleed out the light in a way the human eye would never see it.

Analog triggers should become standard, as it would make the UPad the perfect entry level steering wheel.

Sadist

Of course, something nen hollander would say.
*giggles*

Speaking of old ports... Batman AC will be a year old port when it finally hits Wii U, but what are the chances of the game being some sort of Game of the Year Edition? Arkham Asylum had a similar release about a year later.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The Euro was introduced way too high from the very beginning. A lot of economies had massive troubles because of the ridiculously high market introduction of the Euro. You can see the effects of it (as well as the rampant curruption) in Greece, Spain and Italy (save us Monti).

I personally expect the WiiU to come in at 350 or 399 Euros. The 3DS was 250 at launch, and if I recall right, the Wii was 250 as well when it came out. With the Tablet Controller the price seems realistic.

Now I don't want to justify the price as being adequate, as I don't know the WiiUs specs or pack in contents, but anyone asuming a console that packs in a freaking tablet controller with a 6 inch screen with modest specs to come in at less than 300 Euros is simply delusional.

Now, going by historic price comparisons, this would mean the US price being 350 to 399 Dollars. Which even if we lowball the specs of the console (aside from the utterly stupidity of being worse than 360 and PS3) should seem reasonable for at least the first year on the market.

Ouch !

Seriously, i need a US-Businessman-Buddy who will buy some nice high-tech goods for me in exchange of french delicacies when he'll come here :p

I'm fed up with the Euro-Dollar discrepancy

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Aha!

Holographic 3D Headmountdisplay with 4k res confirmed by IdeaMan!

Cool!

off to kotakuHQ

Not in terms of features, but in its characteristics. It was said by Nintendo to third-parties a moment ago, don't know if the latest DRC available to them include these modifications.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Not in terms of features, but in its characteristics. It was said to third-parties a moment ago, don't know if the latest DRC available to them include these modifications.

So in other words, it could be anything, resolution, size, materials. So when the change inevitably happens (perfectly normal since it's been a year since we saw prototypes) you can claim that you were right all along.

It's amazing. I've never seen such masterful use of Barnum Statements. You have an entire community eating out of your hands.

I would have indicated if it was guesswork :p

Multitouch perhaps? Somebody had once said that for resistive screens it's a matter of software rather than hardware. I could see Nintendo adding that in just to "check the box" since pinch to zoom is pretty established at this point, and Nintendo mean to advertise the Wii U as a lifestyle device as well as a gaming machine.

Ouch !

Seriously, i need a US-Businessman-Buddy who will buy some nice high-tech goods for me in exchange of french delicacies when he'll come here :p

I'm fed up with the Euro-Dollar discrepancy

It really is bizarre how US prices are translated numerical instead of real world worth of currency.

I allways laugh when US people complain about their prices. The PS2 was almost 500 Euros 900.000 Lira when it launched in Italy (back then local small retailers in South Tyrol would only sell you the PS2 with one launch game bundled). This was price gouging by local businesses that profited from a regional decree that prohibited large electronic chains to set up shop there (which was since scrapped for the most part) but it still doesn't change the fact that when Sony announced the 599 pricetag of the PS3 many Europeans, myself included thought about importing it from the US as even with shipping it would cost us less than our pricings.

You can always order stuff from the UK. From what I remember there's also sometimes American stores at US military bases (Ramstein comes to my mind), so if you know someone there I suppose you could save money without having to actually order from the US.

UK only really is cheaper with software though. With hardware there is literally no savings after shipping costs are applied (not counting discounts and special offerings of course)

Azure J

Alright, I'm about to go dark again until E3, but before I go I thought I'd make some predictions that can be mocked for their inaccuracy after E3:

More detailed specs will leak shortly before E3. They'll comprise of the following:

CPU: 3-core, 3MB eDRAM cache, 2-way SMT, OoO, running at 3.2Ghz (pretty much known already)
GPU: 640:32:16 core config, running at 600 to 800MHz, with some sort of fixed function lighting hardware that most 3rd parties will barely use. The GPU eDRAM will be increased to 40MB to support the second controller.
RAM: 1.5GB of GDDR3 on a 192-bit bus at 900MHz.

Nintendo fans expecting teraflop+ performance will try to mask their disappointment, and Sony and Microsoft fans will troll like they've never trolled before.

Nintendo will confirm that the console will work with two touch-screen controllers, and will detail the Nintendo Network, which will have almost all the features of XBox Live and the big advantage of being free, but will for years still be considered inferior by people who haven't used it. There'll also be some new, unannounced hardware feature (bigger than the Wiimote speaker, but not as big as a haptic feedback screen).

Nintendo will show the following 1st/2nd party games at E3 (* means playable):

Pikmin 3*
3D Mario
Wii U Sports*
Wii U Fit*
Wii U Play* (bundled with extra controller)
Retro FPS* (not Metroid)
Monolith RPG
Mario Kart
2D Yoshi game
Lego City Stories*
Surprise 3rd party exclusive*
New Nintendo IP*
New Nintendo IP

There will also be a handful of mini-games playable (like Chase Mii) which will be bundled with the system.

Once Nintendo actually shows off Mario, Pikmin 3 and Retro and Monolith's projects, anyone who actually cares about games will completely forget about the specs, as these games'll look god-damn beautiful. Some Sony and Microsoft fans will continue to troll, but will later end up crying themselves to sleep when they realise that the PS4 and XBox720 won't come anywhere near their feverish 16-core spec-dreams.

Plenty of 3rd party multi-plats will be shown off on Wii U, including AC3, Black Ops 2, GTAV, Medal of Honor, etc., and will all look almost identical to their PS360 counterparts, with cursory touchscreen use. (AC3 might be the exception there, both in graphical and controller terms) Resident Evil 6: Wii U Edition will be announced, released a couple of months after the others and with an inventory on the touchscreen but little else changed.

A handful of third-party games will actually try to make use of the hardware, including AC3, but also Aliens:Colonial Marines and Metro:Last Light (which will actually look surprisingly good on the system, if THQ's financial troubles haven't caused it to be cancelled by then). Killer Freaks will continue to be somewhat intriguing, but not a system seller. There'll be a couple of other below-the-radar third party exclusives revealed as well, mostly targeted at casual gamers.

See you guys closer to E3!

Specs wise, this is my optimal Wii U honestly and a nice step above the current gen, especially if the GPU has a godlike feature set.

The other stuff is super specific, but since I don't dabble in game announcement speculation (going in blank is so much more fun), I can only say good stuff there. Also, Retro's making an action adventure/StarTropics. :p [/wishful thinking]

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So in other words, it could be anything, resolution, size, materials. So when the change inevitably happens (perfectly normal since it's been a year since we saw prototypes) you can claim that you were right all along.

It's amazing. I've never seen such masterful use of Barnum Statements. You have an entire community eating out of your hands.

Basically, Nintendo warned third-parties (at least where my sources are working) that there will be slight changes on the DRC screen. Changes that you'll notice so it's not an invisible modification. I need to confirm this information first (i think i talked about that privately with someone from GAF a few weeks ago), i was just answering to snow, that the screen he saw at E3 2011 seems not to be the screen he'll see come E3 2012. It's rather right or wrong actually, they could have fixed the padlet screen with, let's say, Sharp, one year ago, and the thing could not change from then (just tiny refinements).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Multitouch perhaps? Somebody had once said that for resistive screens it's a matter of software rather than hardware. I could see Nintendo adding that in just to "check the box" since pinch to zoom is pretty established at this point, and Nintendo mean to advertise the Wii U as a lifestyle device as well as a gaming machine.

Still no multi-touch nor haptic nor 3D on the DRC at the end of march, for big third-parties.

Log4Girlz

If porting game X from the HD twins, Wii U just has to be able to double the resolution and frame rate for it to pique my interest. Otherwise it'll go from day 1 to well, I'll wait a few months. Nintendo games will look glorious no matter the hardware.

AzaK

Maybe the change is something along the lines of analog triggers, or clicky pads just to "tick the box"?

If porting game X from the HD twins, Wii U just has to be able to double the resolution and frame rate for it to pique my interest. Otherwise it'll go from day 1 to well, I'll wait a few months. Nintendo games will look glorious no matter the hardware.
I think you'll be shit out of luck then. That would require a pretty hefty jump to go from 720 to 1080 and double the framerate all the while having the controller have to display something.

Ideaman, do you have any info on Subscreen lag? Is there some/none/don't know? I realise that gyros seem to have inherent lag but I'm meaning the screen. If you have the same scene showing on main screen and Subscreen are they in perfect sync? This is one of my biggest concerns.

nickcv

damn, i didn't have time to read this thread over the last week and now i found out BP is back...

now we can even speculate about BP getting banned or not because of whatever happens during E3 :p

anyhow when was supposed to be the nintendo investors meeting?

Log4Girlz

Maybe the change is something along the lines of analog triggers, or clicky pads just to "tick the box"?

I think you'll be shit out of luck then. That would require a pretty hefty jump to go from 720 to 1080 and double the framerate all the while having the controller have to display something.

Ideaman, do you have any info on Subscreen lag? Is there some/none/don't know?

About 5x power jump from 360...pretty much what IGN was saying not too long ago. I don't believe it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ideaman, do you have any info on Subscreen lag? Is there some/none/don't know? I realise that gyros seem to have inherent lag but I'm meaning the screen. If you have the same scene showing on main screen and Subscreen are they in perfect sync? This is one of my biggest concerns.

I'm pretty certain that Nintendo and users at E3 all confirmed absolutely zero noticeable lag.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The other stuff is super specific, but since I don't dabble in game announcement speculation (going in blank is so much more fun), I can only say good stuff there. Also, Retro's making an action adventure/StarTropics. :p [/wishful thinking]

I know there are like 3 of us on the board that want this more than anything.

nickcv

I'm pretty certain that Nintendo and users at E3 all confirmed absolutely zero noticeable lag.

i do remember the same but are we sure that UPad was actually streaming wireless?
i mean, we do know there was actually a cable: was it there just for battery and security reasons?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

No apparent lag for this case for my sources projects, but it could be different for other titles. The video streaming tech seems to be rather efficient. It's more about the resources draw of the padlet when rendering a complex 3D scene (usually another view of the main screen) that there is an hindrance for these developers, in a v4 dev kit/all the other parameters that i explained context.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Again, please, do not quote.

iQ8N0ylHGQBgR.gif

Top Bottom