• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

I wouldn't be that surprised if Retro does a sequel to DKC Returns. The game did sell extremely well. Wouldn't you guys love to see Dixie Kong return and new environments like snow and ice ? Oh, penguin enemies!

I wouldn't be that surprised if Retro does a sequel to DKC Returns. The game did sell extremely well. Wouldn't you guys love to see Dixie Kong return and new environments like snow and ice ? Oh, penguin enemies!

They said that definitely isn't their next project

Yuripaw

Banned

I would take a version of that game WITHOUT motion controls =/ I couldn't keep playing it because of that crap.

I have to admit that playing any games that use the sensor bar or motion controls would be a horrible experience, but there's no technical reason that Nintendo couldn't turn this feature on.

For games that don't use motion controls, I think the GamePad actually has enough buttons to emulate a Wii Remote/Nunchuck. However, allowing that would be a change for Nintendo, which historically hasn't supported button remapping with their backwards compatibility. Maybe you'll just be able to play games that supported the Classic Controller directly on the GamePad, but off the top of my head there weren't very many games that supported the Classic Controller.

The best one did: Xenoblade! I doubt that it will happen though. Would be amazing to play it in bed.

EDIT: And Virtual Console, and GC games playable solely on the pad... I can dream.

Are we still under the assumption that Retro is not working on an existing IP?

I still am.

They did? :(

i thought we only know that they are not working on zelda... so.... source?

This was a little over a month before the Cafe leak.

http://www.gamerzines.com/wii/news-wii/dkcr-sequel-not-in-the-works.html

"I wouldn’t say we won’t do a sequel for Donkey Kong Country Returns, but we don’t have anything planned at this time."

Hiltz

I just looked this up. Interesting. Retro was the one who approached Nintendo about possibly working on a new DK Country title but was turned down over five years ago. However, years later, Nintendo eventually decided to ask Retro if they were still interested in doing it. This is according to Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe. In addition, Retro Studio's CEO stated that it was harder to make DKC platformer than originally though it would be.

Kensuke Tanabe has this to say about DKC sequel as of March 2011:

I wasn’t even thinking about doing a sequel for Metroid Prime until Retro showed me the last scene in the game, which was near the end of development. I wouldn’t say we won’t do a sequel [for Donkey Kong Country Returns], but we don’t have anything planned at this time.”

Goodbye chance of DKCR 2 happening anytime soon. Retro, if you hear our prayers, do something like Starfox, F-Zero or a new IP then.

I just looked this up. Interesting. Retro was the one who approached Nintendo about possibly working on a new DK Country title but was turned down over five years ago. However, years later, Nintendo eventually decided to ask Retro if they were still interested in doing it. This is according to Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe. In addition, Retro Studio's CEO stated that it was harder to make DKC platformer than originally though it would be.

Kensuke Tanabe has this to say about DKC sequel as of March 2011:

Goodbye chance of DKCR 2 happening anytime soon. Retro, if you hear our prayers, do something like Starfox, F-Zero or a new IP then.

Preferably new. I'm rather impressed with what Sony has been doing new IPs lately.

that doesnt sound so much like it won´t happen.... but i´m expecting like you tht they work on something different.

Oh yeah it doesn't negate that it won't happen, just that it's not what they would be working on now.

Cool. It doesn't really bother me if they're working on something new or not though. All I really care about is Retro making another great game. That's all I want :)

Same, though like I said earlier in this post I'd still prefer something new. :p

Yuripaw

Banned
I know we got these potential leaks about price and skus, but I'm honestly surprised more hasn't leaked yet about information being revealed next week. Like a list of games, or some picture taken of marketing that wasn't supposed to be shown or something.

Oersted

I know we got these potential leaks about price and skus, but I'm honestly surprised more hasn't leaked yet about information being revealed next week. Like a list of games, or some picture taken of marketing that wasn't supposed to be shown or something.

i have the feeling that many things have been already leaked, we just don´t see it yet. when we look back...

Yuripaw

Banned
i have the feeling that many things have been already leaked, we just don´t see it yet. when we look back...

Well maybe I haven't been following things closely, but I haven't heard any theories or leaks about what is thought to be day 1 titles still. No idea if the gamepad, or pro controller will work with certain Wii games (like ones that support classic controller) We still really have no idea what kind of SKUs will be released, and what will be included with the system. Everything I've seen on here is just speculation from one of us.

Uhhh.

It's speed (bandwidth here), not "efficiency".

The Wii U is almost certainly using DDR3. Which is comparable in speed to the GDDR3 in 360/PS3. Which makes sense, as everything else about the system is more and more appearing comparable to the PS360.

GDDR5 is the "good stuff" used in the highest end PC cards of today. Nintendo probably felt they didn't need it, because the Wii U isn't that powerful. Of course, GDDR5 is much more expensive than DDR3.

Nintendo is also rumored to use 32MB of EDRAM, which is kind of like a cache and can help with bandwidth a lot, so DDR3+EDRAM>just DDR3.

The last parts are most likely the biggest reasons. GDDR5. The U-CPU is also rumored to have 3MB of L2 Cache: triple the CPU in the 360's. Though it interestingly reserved 2MB of that for just one core.

TriGen

Had a look back at 2006's NYC Sep 14 Wii conference recently, and I'm hoping we get a lot of the same info at the Wii U's conference. For those who forget, that conference was the place where we not only heard about the price on the console and its accessories, but the channel interface, the photo viewer, Mii creation, that Wii Sports would be included with console, and first and third party launch lineup information for the very first time. Hoping we got a lot of that and more next week. I'm itching for some Nintendo Network walkthroughs!

Do you have a link to video of that presentation? I've been looking for it but have never found any. I found the Wii conference held in London on the 15th, but haven't seen any actual video from the NYC event.

ohlawd

I couldn't find video from the event either, but I found [URL=" live-blog form IGN.[/URL]

9:16 EST: NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime takes stage. "Yes, we will reveal all of the relevant information for Wii. Date, price, how many, titles -- all of that information," Reggie says. "But more importantly, today marks our next planned step in driving this industry forward."

10 minutes in and he just laid out the entire layout for the press. Hoping the same happens for the Wii U next Thursday.

NateDrake

That's because Nintendo is using as a reference in their specs.

Side note: Only Nintendo's API is linked with DX10.1, not the GPU in the final specs according to what I saw. It is plausible to believe that when Nintendo told devs what they planned for their GPU, that they said that's not going to be good enough. And from there took extra measures before taping out the GPU to make it "more 2012" as I was told last year. And have yet to (or won't, though doubtful if this scenario is true) update their API.

So DX 11 is still on the table?

The M.O.B

live-from-new-york-20060914064455713-000.jpg

Dem Wii graphics

Hiltz

Silly of them to put xbox360 graphics as the madden screen. Guess they didnt have Wii versions available.

Heh, Nintendo basically allowed third-parties to that for E3 2011 with 360/Ps3 footage of multiplatform games like Darksiders 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines. They may have even done it at this year's E3 (I don't remember).

Matt

Heh, Nintendo basically allowed third-parties to that for E3 2011 with 360/Ps3 footage of multiplatform games like Darksiders 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines. They may have even done it at this year's E3 (I don't remember).

Everyone does that, Nintendo was no different then Sony or MS.

Jawmuncher

So was the Amazon Distributor debunked about the pricing?
Because if the Wii U indeed comes out in that price range, i'll grab one for sure along with Zombi U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom