• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WiiU will need to get almost all the third party multiplatforms and these titles must perform well for me to consider the WiiU a success.

Jumpman23

I really hope we get a true Mario successor unveiled at the conference that is confirmed for launch. Something akin to Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy.

Any of these classics would be amazing
Wave Race
Star Fox
3D Mario
F-Zero
Smash Bros
Luigis Mansion (wish we were getting a home system one)

This would be nice too
New IP!!

Effect

I am looking forward to what they say about Nintendo Land. I'm not spending any money on that (I have no use for a local multiplayer mini-game) but it will be interesting to see how they address the game given that people still see it as a mini-game collection that needs to be a pack-in. They've said before there is more to it but they've yet to show that. They have to show and explain why it's worthy of being a full price retail game and should not be looked at as a cheap mini-game collection. A tech demo that needs to be packed in with the system. Until they prove that it isn't, that's all it really is to me (based on their own actions regarding the game) regardless to how much fun it might be.

Oersted

God, the hype rises....

So, I've decided on my launch buying plans:

Wii U
Pro Controller
New Super Mario Bros. U
Zombii U
Batman: AC: AE

I'll pick up ACIII and BLOPs 2 at some point in 2012, also. Pikmin 3 when it eventually launches.

... That being said, I think I think it's a somewhat safe bet that the Wii U version of BLOPs 2 will be unveiled on September 13. Is there any chance Nintendo moneyhat'd any special features, maps, etc?

A little one. But maybe Activision will do it without any moneyhatting happened. You never know before you know....

Oersted

I am looking forward to what they say about Nintendo Land. I'm not spending any money on that (I have no use for a local multiplayer mini-game) but it will be interesting to see how they address the game given that people still see it as a mini-game collection that needs to be a pack-in. They 've said before there is more to it but they've yet to show that. They have to show and explain why it's worthy of being a full price retail game and should not be looked at as a cheap mini-game collection. A tech demo that needs to be packed in with the system. Until they prove that it isn't, that's all it really is to me regardless to how much fun it might be.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/364505/previews/nintendo-land-a-wii-u-classic-in-the-making/

D-e-f-

Banned
I really hope we get a true Mario successor unveiled at the conference that is confirmed for launch. Something akin to Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. You really believe they'd launch with TWO Mario games and with another Mario game that came out a few months for their portable platform?

Mario is their safe-bet seller. They need a 3D Mario for later.

100% guaranteed this will not happen. Most definitely not for launch.

Jumpman23

I am looking forward to what they say about Nintendo Land. I'm not spending any money on that (I have no use for a local multiplayer mini-game) but it will be interesting to see how they address the game given that people still see it as a mini-game collection that needs to be a pack-in. They've said before there is more to it but they've yet to show that. They have to show and explain why it's worthy of being a full price retail game and should not be looked at as a cheap mini-game collection. A tech demo that needs to be packed in with the system. Until they prove that it isn't, that's all it really is to me (based on their own actions regarding the game) regardless to how much fun it might be.

I think online play with leaderboards would seal the deal for me on this if it were a stand alone title.

Also, since it contains mini games I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to put a Wii Motion plus controller into a box and bundle it up with this game for cheap.

AntMurda

I am looking forward to what they say about Nintendo Land. I'm not spending any money on that (I have no use for a local multiplayer mini-game) but it will be interesting to see how they address the game given that people still see it as a mini-game collection that needs to be a pack-in. They 've said before there is more to it but they've yet to show that. They have to show and explain why it's worthy of being a full price retail game and should not be looked at as a cheap mini-game collection. A tech demo that needs to be packed in with the system. Until they prove that it isn't, that's all it really is to me regardless to how much fun it might be.

This is just ridiculous mass suggestion on nintendo threads. Were Fusion Frenzy, Mario Party 9, Wii Sports Resort, and other variety games released in retail? Nintendo Land is touting a higher sales potential than all those properties. You have a choice to buy the game or not once you see it finished.

If you wanted to a bit more logical about intelligently bundling the game, it would
be bundling the game with a wii motion plus controller. Same way Nintendo sold billions of wii fits and wii plays.

Roo

didn't see this posted anywhere:

Umbra Software now an official Wii U partner

S7LQ4.jpg

What's Umbra Software?

The purpose of Umbra 3 is to increase frame rate and help you get better performance out of your game.

Umbra 3 does this by optimizing critical parts of a game such as rendering and by providing tools to help with content streaming and game logic. We offer solutions that either work 100% on the CPU or use both the CPU and the GPU.

Umbra 3 builds an internal representation of a game scene and uses this data at runtime to perform efficient queries that can be used to e.g. determine the set of visible objects for the player or determine the set of objects that are within a given distance from a point.

Umbra 3 is available for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, pc, iOS, handheld platforms and others on request.

Source 1
Source 2

Jumpman23

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. You really believe they'd launch with TWO Mario games and with another Mario game that came out a few months for their portable platform?

Mario is their safe-bet seller. They need a 3D Mario for later.

100% guaranteed this will not happen. Most definitely not for launch.

I recall a while back seeing an article that stated that Nintendo wished they had gotten Galaxy out at launch. I think for the casual gamer, seeing a game as robust as something like that with a familiar face will drive non-believers back to Nintendo hardware. Mario sells hardware.

Anth0ny

This is just ridiculous mass suggestion on nintendo threads. Were Fusion Frenzy, Mario Party 9, Wii Sports Resort, and other variety games released in retail? Nintendo Land is touting a higher sales potential than all those properties. You have a choice to buy the game or not once you see it finished.

If you wanted to a bit more logical about intelligently bundling the game, it would
be bundling the game with a wii motion plus controller. Same way Nintendo sold billions of wii fits and wii plays.

The same exact thing could be said of Wii Sports. Reggie has even called it "The Wii Sports for the Wii U hardware".

I have a hard time believing it'll be sold separately.

Roo

We knew about this a week or so ago man. I'm wondering if it Nintendo is licensing for all WiiU dev, like the Havok stuff, or if devs have to pay for it individually.

Really? hmmm.. didn't see it
well, it doesn't hurt to post it again. After all, we have a lot of new posters now and probably didn't know.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I want Battalion Wars 3. Godamnit, what I'd give to have that game. Who I'd kill to have that game... *narrows eyes at Ideaman*

Wait. They made a Battalion Wars 2??

tkscz

This reminded me that the WiiU has a I/O processor, GPGPU and a DSP. But this does bring up a question. Now we keep hearing that the WiiU's CPU is weak, but is it possible that it is just being programmed for incorrectly? By this I mean, the games being ported to the WiiU are made for consoles that have in-order CPUs, older GPU's that are not GPGPU's and no DSP. Couldn't that, theoretically, be holding down the WiiU's CPU with unnecessary processes and making it slower than it should be?

Daschysta

I recall a while back seeing an article that stated that Nintendo wished they had gotten Galaxy out at launch. I think for the casual gamer, seeing a game as robust as something like that with a familiar face will drive non-believers back to Nintendo hardware. Mario sells hardware.

In case you didn't realize NSMB sells way, way, way, way, way more than any 3D mario game. It is by far the bigger system seller, why in the world would they want to release a 3D mario at launch when NSMBU is already there?

Hiltz

Iwata wants to have evergreen titles around Wii U's launch and as New SMB has proved, it is one of the best to have. Plus, people wanted Mario at launch so know you have it.

AntMurda

The same exact thing could be said of Wii Sports. Reggie has even called it "The Wii Sports for the Wii U hardware".

I have a hard time believing it'll be sold separately.

It's absolutely not the same thing. Wii Sports was sold separately in Japan, but bundled (at the hike of MSRP) elsewhere because of the lack of marketable characters in the game. But Nintendo Land has Smash Brothers branding all over it. A cast of loveable Nintendo characters. It's asinine to think Nintendo can't sell that stand alone when they sold millions of Wii Fits, Wii Party, Wii Play, and Wii Sports Resort.

Steel Diver as Pilotwings were shallow games and they sure as heck were not free.

nikatapi

This reminded me that the WiiU has a I/O processor, GPGPU and a DSP. But this does bring up a question. Now we keep hearing that the WiiU's CPU is weak, but is it possible that it is just being programmed for incorrectly? By this I mean, the games being ported to the WiiU are made for consoles that have in-order CPUs, older GPU's that are not GPGPU's and no DSP. Couldn't that, theoretically, be holding down the WiiU's CPU with unnecessary processes and making it slower than it should be?

It could be. But there is something that is making me sceptical. What if WiiU is indeed a very capable machine, but because of the architectural differences a difficult one to be utilized?
Will any third parties give the time and money to port their games if it requires a lot of effort?

Just think how underutilized the Wii (and GameCube) was by the third parties, even though it was capable of better graphics than the average effort. I think the fact that Star Wars which was a launch GC title is so much better looking than most of the Wii games shows that capabilities will remain underutilized if it requires a lot of time and money in order to use any special hardware (like the TEV of the Wii/GC).

So maybe WiiU's CPU is powerful but requires a different approach in order to get better results than Cell or 360's CPU. If WiiU is architecturally different than PS4 and Nextbox in such fashion that it would require a strong effort to port games, once again many third parties will not include the Nintendo console in their multiplatform plans.

As for now, i hope that it is just that the tools for WiiU are not so optimized and that is the reason why some developers have expressed their concerns about the console's CPU power.

Has it ever actually been officially confirmed that NintendoLand won't have online multiplayer?

I still don't see the appeal for online play in that game. It'd be like online play in Wii Sports. No social appeal for me. Playing a multiplayer game like that rewards real life interaction in my opinion.

CrispyXUK

Banned
So I just read VC games on Wii were upscaled from 240p to 480p through an emulator to match Wii's output so I was wondering... If gamecube games are confirmed to be on the virtual console is it possible for them to upscale the games or maybe render those games at 720p?

I think it is possible but since Wii U can output 420p and Nintendo loves easy money just puting them available for download would be enough and call it a day

Gamecube games will more than likely be upscaled, that's almost certain. Doubt they'll be re-rendered at higher resolutions, which is what you're asking.

D-e-f-

Banned

Yes and that is exactly why the Wii U is launching with New Super Mario Bros. U.

Sales wise, New Super Mario series > 3D Mario games.

3 major Mario games within 4 months? That's just utter insanity. How can one even entertain the idea that they might pull a 3D Mario out of their hat and have it ready for launch alongside a 2D Mario. Lay off those pills!

or yea, this basically:
In case you didn't realize NSMB sells way, way, way, way, way more than any 3D mario game. It is by far the bigger system seller, why in the world would they want to release a 3D mario at launch when NSMBU is already there?

Did GameStop do a midnight launch for the Wii? I'd prefer to do Best Buy but there's no way I'm braving any of their insane late night November waiting lines.

Hoodbury

I still don't see the appeal for online play in that game.

The appeal is simple. I won't have 5 people in my house wanting to play video games more than 1 or 2 times a year. But many of the articles written about the playtime with this game say it is easily it's most fun when you play the 5 player games (IE Luigi ghost and the Animal crossing candy one).

I'm 30 years old; I don't have friends come over to play video games with me anymore. I might get family to come over during the holiday's but they aren't gamers.

Nintendo has said they want this game to be played and experienced by everyone, but how do they expect some of us to play it when it's only local play? The single player DK game they demo'd is not really up my ally and not something I would play more than once or twice. There are 7 other games to still being shown, but how many of them will be single player ones?

I don't really understand why online would make it less appealing? You can voice chat, video chat, etc to minimize the 'distance'. You can turn off voice chat for the person using the gamepad in games like Luigi's ghost so only the other players can talk to each other.

Pociask

I'd question if it has higher sales potential than Mario Party. Mario Party is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It was criminally stupid for them to abandon it for so long during the life of the Wii. Nintendo Land is a brand new franchise. It's not like Smash Bros., where you play as and fight other beloved Nintendo characters. Instead, it's just themes drawn from Nintendo games.

Edit:

Also what he says:

The appeal is simple. I won't have 5 people in my house wanting to play video games more than 1 or 2 times a year. But many of the articles written about the playtime with this game say it is easily it's most fun when you play the 5 player games (IE Luigi ghost and the Animal crossing candy one).

I'm 30 years old; I don't have friends come over to play video games with me anymore. I might get family to come over during the holiday's but they aren't gamers.

Nintendo has said they want this game to be played and experienced by everyone, but how do they expect some of us to play it when it's only local play? The single player DK game they demo'd is not really up my ally and not something I would play more than once or twice. There are 7 other games to still being shown, but how many of them will be single player ones?

I don't really understand why online would make it less appealing? You can voice chat, video chat, etc to minimize the 'distance'. You can turn off voice chat for the person using the gamepad in games like Luigi's ghost so only the other players can talk to each other.

Wii Sports was a great multi-player experience - the two Christmases I dragged the Wii down to family gatherings. Or when I was able to get a group of people together to play it, a few times. The rest of the time, it was just me. And it was much more boring.

klier

Guys, what is the chance that Pikmin 3 looks much more polished compared to the E3 built?

Doesn't ZombiU look quite a bit better now compared to the E3 demo (I am not going to buy it because I don't like FPS games)?

6 are multiplayer and 6 games are Single player but i understand where you are coming from

God, the hype rises....

So, I've decided on my launch buying plans:

Wii U
Pro Controller
New Super Mario Bros. U
Zombii U
Batman: AC: AE

I'll pick up ACIII and BLOPs 2 at some point in 2012, also. Pikmin 3 when it eventually launches.

... That being said, I think I think it's a somewhat safe bet that the Wii U version of BLOPs 2 will be unveiled on September 13. Is there any chance Nintendo moneyhat'd any special features, maps, etc?

Great plans, very close to mine. I doubt that Nintendo will have been able to snag exclusive CoD stuff, since Microsoft continues to pay for CoD DLC to be timed exclusive... I hope you're right tho, and they do show off some BLOPs 2 during the conf.

Banned
Assuming we take an average of 3 years to develop an HD game from scratch I would say we can expect these first party studios' games before 2014.

EAD Tokyo#1's last major release was Super Mario Galaxy 1 in 2007. They helped co-develop OoT 3D. I'm waiting to see what they're up to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_Analysis_and_Development

Retro Studios has not released anything since 2010 (Donkey Kong) but did help on Mario Kart 7. They are almost tithing the 2 year mark. Xmas 2013.

Monolith Software finished Xenoblade in 2010 so they should be ready soon. They're hitting the 2 year mark. Their game should be ready by Xmas 2013.

SDG 1 releases a Nintendo's and Mario kart the same year (2005, 2011). MKWii was released in 2008 and we could see a rushed MK8 for Xmas 2013 or spring 2014. I don't see a Zelda or smash till 2015. But the Wii U's first 3 years should be interesting.

A 3D Mario should be done by 2014 if done by Tokyo #2. I think they are the new 3D Mario team since they did Galaxy 2 and 3D land. I guess Tokyo #1 is working on a new ip.

ohlawd

Retro Studios has not released anything since 2010 (Donkey Kong) but did help on Mario Kart 7. They are almost tithing the 2 year mark. Xmas 2013.

Monolith Software finished Xenoblade in 2010 so they should be ready soon. They're hitting the 2 year mark. Their game should be ready by Xmas 2013.

The bodies of Nintendo fans are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom