• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

The funny thing there, is that it kind of feels organic in how it fits into over-arching patterns.

Nintendo discovers a 'blue ocean' of people who haven't had gaming pitched at them with the Wii, but potentially loses much of that new audience to smartphones and tablets because mainstream people want devices that also happen to bring the blue ocean gaming as a bonus.

Sony and MS invest in making the dream of game console as ultimate set top box a reality, and find an audience that does want to be able to stream television, movies, and music from the living room. Only to get disrupted by the fact that everyone's television will soon do that anyway as a free bonus.

A huge potential caveat there though: this may indeed be an inevitable future, but it may not affect the next (8th) generation of game consoles. Everyone just finished upgrading to 1080p HD TVs over the last five years. The average consumer may not have a Smart TV until another five years have passes and they replace their current HD set as a matter of course.

So Sony and MS may catch a break there, and media convergence on their 8th generation boxes may remain a huge selling point. After that however, the future could be seriously contested if/when Smart TV becomes commonplace.

I suppose, while tossing stuff out there, Nintendo might still benefit if they manage to get Japan on their side for the 8th cycle and allow Japanese game development to have a stable home with stable budget ranges, etc. Making a stronger Japan by the time the 8th generation ends, and the industry is forced to go looking for where all the games went.

not everyone. and yes, this competition will be interesting. especially with apple and google pushing their multimedia-boxes.

TriBlade

Let's talk about 2013 games. Which announced big games coming next year would you like to see on WiiU? I'm really hoping we get these:

Watch Dogs
Grand Theft Auto V
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Tomb Raider
Remember Me

What about you guys?

MGR Revengeance
Vanquish, UMvC3(I know these are old but I still want it)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
not everyone. and yes, this competition will be interesting. especially with apple and google pushing their multimedia-boxes.

Generalization. Besides, evidently Nintendo thinks enough people have HDTVs now that Wii U only comes with an HDMI cable.

Full HD TV penetration is pretty widespread now though, even if not everyone is on board yet.

Sooo...

wii u is comming a week earlie to europe?

http://www.nintendo-nation.net/wii-u-november-23-date/

yes please?

If that is true, it means there's less than 2 months to go before we can lay our hands on Wii U, we're almost there!

Too bad the European launch line-up seems to me to be quite weak, or at the very least, aside from Mario and Rayman, to keep on the safe side I'm holding off from purchasing everything else such as Mass effect 3 until I read some reviews.

Snipes424

So is Amazon and Newegg gonna sell this thing or what? I'm personally waiting on Newegg.

I was about ready to ask this. I'm waiting for Amazon (I buy 90% of my stuff through them), but I don't know if Nintendo has units held back for Newegg or Amazon. Or if they decided to reallocate them to other retailers.

I was about ready to ask this. I'm waiting for Amazon (I buy 90% of my stuff through them), but I don't know if Nintendo has units held back for Newegg or Amazon. Or if they decided to reallocate them to other retailers.

I don't know but I'm about to order a basic set from walmart out of desperation... Fuck

NSMBU is looking good.

ibzS0VYIO3Dkz7.png

Instead of simply being named after food like SMW, the world map actually contains food!

I don't know but I'm about to order a basic set from walmart out of desperation... Fuck

I don't think it's worth the risk to wait. It's very possible you won't get one if you don't order soon.

AzaK

Sorry if this is common knowledge but I don't follow 2d Mario much. Does NSMBU have coop play where the players both do platforming, or does the second player only get to place platforms with the GamePad?

ohlawd

Watch Dogs GamePad is perfect for this game
Grand Theft Auto V I want this one. Take-Two should just do port it man. It's easy money, it's freakin' GTA.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Don't care
Tomb Raider Uncharted clone, pass
Remember Me What's this?

there.

Resident Evil 6 too but I know we're getting a Gold Edition somewhere down the line.

Meelow

Banned
I have a thought, this is not reassuring or anything but this is about the region locking, what if it's possible that Nintendo can be do a system like Sony with the PS3?, like the region locking is still there but it's up to developers to use it.

What do you think?

Kacho

I have a thought, this is not reassuring or anything but this is about the region locking, what if it's possible that Nintendo can be do a system like Sony with the PS3?, like the region locking is still there but it's up to developers to use it.

What do you think?

Not likely I'm afraid.

PhantomR

Banned
Woah woah woah. Hooold up. Tomb Raider is the uncharted clone now? What?

Yeah I caught that too. I think the thing is, if a franchise doesn't do a good job of maintaining its relevancy and legacy overtime, these kinds of statements happen. Would anyone now DARE to call Mario a LittleBigPlanet clone? Hellz no.

Sheroking

Yeah I caught that too. I think the thing is, if a franchise doesn't do a good job of maintaining its relevancy and legacy overtime, these kinds of statements happen. Would anyone now DARE to call Mario a LittleBigPlanet clone? Hellz no.

It's more like calling Quantum of Solace a Bourne clone. Obviously Bond came first, but the reinvention took a lot of elements from the hot, new property.

The new Tomb Raider has a lot of Uncharted in it. Just with WAY more QTE and much less intelligence.

Shurayuki

It's more like calling Quantum of Solace a Bourne clone. Obviously Bond came first, but the reinvention took a lot of elements from the hot, new property.

The new Tomb Raider has a lot of Uncharted in it. Just with WAY more QTE and much less intelligence.

Yeah was about to say the same, the latest Lara design seems to take heavy hints from the Uncharted style. Remember they even made a big deal about how they're rebooting Lara.

PhantomR

Banned

Hmm...good point. I can see how people can see that LittleBigPlanet influenced Kirby's Epic Yarn. The gameplay isn't even close to being comparable, but the art style is.

ReviewTechUSA thoughts on Black Ops 2 Wii U 1080p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxdcb12FyQ&feature=g-high-u

I find this so strange it's like a Nintendo platform is finally being accepted into the men gamer club
- weird that I would feel more comfortable with him trolling the Wii U not defending 1080p Black Ops on the thing.

has this been confirmed this 1080p talk?

Hmm...good point. I can see how people can see that LittleBigPlanet influenced Kirby's Epic Yarn. The gameplay isn't even close to being comparable, but the art style is.

With PlayStation All-Stars coming before the next Smash Bros I would be shocked if someone did not feel that Smash stole something from All Stars
that is just the way it works something fresh in people's mind make us forget which came first so sometimes these ideas slip in

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, I had the nerve to suggest that they had a choice not to buy it if they wer unhappy, and I got cussed out. LOL!

I find it kinda funny, people should of known the Wii U would be region locked, it was pretty obvious and I wonder what they will do if the PS4 is region locked, people keep thinking Nintendo is the only one that does this, also what happens if the rumor about Xbox 720 not accepting used games turns out true?, imagine that meltdown.

Oersted

I find it kinda funny, people should of known the Wii U would be region locked, it was pretty obvious and I wonder what they will do if the PS4 is region locked, people keep thinking Nintendo is the only one that does this, also what happens if the rumor about Xbox 720 not accepting used games turns out true?, imagine that meltdown.

yep. like i already stated its not a nintendo only thing. xbox, ps1/ps2 in many cases ps3/xbox360..... and yes, there are these no used games and backward compability rumors regarding ps4/x720...

maybe its only us being old or others having a bad short time memory.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Original Tomb Raider had little to do with Uncharted, and everything shown of modern Tomb Raider looks exactly like Uncharted (even if the developers argue it isn't). That's where the correlation is drawn.

majik13

I find this so strange it's like a Nintendo platform is finally being accepted into the men gamer club
- weird that I would feel more comfortable with him trolling the Wii U not defending 1080p Black Ops on the thing.

has this been confirmed this 1080p talk?

I dont think so. You would think Activision would say 1080p rather than Full HD. Makes it sound like PR talk, when they dont.

And as far as I know, no one has directly asked the devs for clarification nor has Activision provided any clarification their own. It has been in contention the moment they said it. that makes me a little skeptical.

And haven't they kinda been shady with resolution talk in the past? I thought I heard. Not that I wouldn't like it to be 1080p/60fps

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Original Tomb Raider had little to do with Uncharted, and everything shown of modern Tomb Raider looks exactly like Uncharted (even if the developers argue it isn't). That's where the correlation is drawn.

Original Tomb Raider was about dinosaur murder while Uncharted is a human murder simulator.

Meelow

Banned
yep. like i already stated its not a nintendo only thing. xbox, ps1/ps2 in many cases ps3/xbox360..... and yes, there are these no used games and backward compability rumors regarding ps4/x720...

maybe its only us being old or others having a bad short time memory.

I've learned that some of the problems of the Wii U is more first world problems and nothing serious that would make or break the console.

It's GAF though.

majik13

yeah serious, what would make people think it wouldn't be region locked?

ohlawd

Please...
Lara did it first and better
lmao at Uncharted clone

I was thinking more of the cinematics but from the little I played of the PS1 games, modern TR is more inline with Uncharted.

I made an honest mistake but even if covering my ass wasn't anybody's intention, I'd like to say thanks :p

Not sure if anyone saw this or if its the right place for it but here is a excerpt from an interview with Akihiro Suzuki from Tecmo-Koei about Warriors Orochi 3 on Wii U.

Akihiro Suzuki said:
the Wii U version of Musou Orochi 3 Hyper [Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper] will have slower frame rate and fewer on-screen opponents than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version, the reason is that the Wii U processor has a little less power than the other two. The Musou series tends to have a lot of enemies coming to you at once, the performance is affected due to the processor power. However, the Wii U version will have overall improved visual due to large amount of memory in the system.

I am looking for a full interview, but I originally found this on the-magicbox.com

I dont think so. You would think Activision would say 1080p rather than Full HD. Makes it sound like PR talk, when they dont.

And as far as I know, no one has directly asked the devs for clarification nor has Activision provided any clarification their own. It has been in contention the moment they said it. that makes me a little skeptical.

And haven't they kinda been shady with resolution talk in the past? I thought I heard. Not that I wouldn't like it to be 1080p/60fps

that guy who made that video is going to look very stupid if it turns out the game is a solid 720p
and Wii U will get some backlash for nothing but PR talk

Sheroking

With PlayStation All-Stars coming before the next Smash Bros I would be shocked if someone did not feel that Smash stole something from All Stars
that is just the way it works something fresh in people's mind make us forget which came first so sometimes these ideas slip in

They might say it about cross-system functionality, although if I'm not mistaken, Nintendo announced that before PS All Stars was ever announced.

I hope they don't "steal" anything from PS AllStars' gameplay though. The game looks so completely awful.

pramath

Banned
that guy who made that video is going to look very stupid if it turns out the game is a solid 720p
and Wii U will get some backlash for nothing but PR talk
I predict:

The game will be 720 p
It will get internet gaf backlash
None of it will matter and it will go on to sell nearly exactly the same as it would have otherwise.

They might say it about cross-system functionality, although if I'm not mistaken, Nintendo announced that before PS All Stars was ever announced.

I hope they don't "steal" anything from PS AllStars' gameplay though. The game looks so completely awful.

I have not not seen anything I can judge the game on but I think your first point is correct
my only concern is the new team behind the dev of Smash right now so I believe we will see some changes regardless

3DS/WiiU cross play may become even more of a thing once MiiVerse is on both and the account system of both merge into on single account

Not sure if anyone saw this or if its the right place for it but here is a excerpt from an interview with Akihiro Suzuki from Tecmo-Koei about Warriors Orochi 3 on Wii U.

I am looking for a full interview, but I originally found this on the-magicbox.com

I know I said this in the other thread but come on! This is not how you sell your game! Admitting that your 1 year old port is inferior to the version of the game running on consoles with worse hardware and then reiterating that the Wii U is much more capable than doing the half ass port you guys made?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Searched for this. Couldn't see it anywhere.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/24/the-difficulty-discussing-wii-u

Yet knowing that some gamers wanted more information, Fils-Aime noted that that more unannounced Wii U games are in development, including some that will release “during the launch window that we haven’t announced yet." Precisely when we’d learn more information about that software, and who is developing it, is unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom