• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of our Nintendo threads will end this way as long as certain Nintendo fans continue to act like they're being victimized. Nintendo isn't being treated unfairly. Nor will it be unfair in the future to compare its capabilities to that of the new Sony/Microsoft consoles. Owners of PS3 and 360 deal with it too. Darksiders 2, Saints Row the Third, Sleeping Dogs are all "good for a console", but great on the PC. It's normal. It's not a conspiracy.
Thread moves fast - still catching up on the last few pages. But this post deserves reposting for it's levelheadedness.

The thread has gone from people who want the WiiU ---> people who want to argue about the WiiU.
This post that it was in response to also needs response...

Do you think discussion amounts purely to praise and affirmation?

Terrell

the machine could only push out 10, maybe 12 million polygons per second max!

whatever happened to polygons per second as a measurement?

and how come we went from bits to pps to ram?

I know you're being your usual self, but the answer is the same: it was used as a false measurement for people who don't understand tech as well as they think they do.

Bits: Not a proper CPU/GPU measurement after the Atari Jaguar, people stopped trusting that

PPS: Not a proper measurement after the GameCube era, as some companies used theoretical numbers that don't equate to any real-world output, people stopped trusting that

And now we're on to RAM and die processes being the false prophet.

All this squabbling over RAM reminds me about the Gamecube and how "weak" its specs were for the same reason, even when compared to the PS2.

Numbers and specs mean nothing without information about how it all comes together, and there's so many holes in our information that we aren't going to know that until after launch, the way it ALWAYS is.

And with this post, the debate ends.

...or will it go on for another 100 pages?

goomba

Banned
the machine could only push out 10, maybe 12 million polygons per second max!

whatever happened to polygons per second as a measurement?

and how come we went from bits to pps to ram?

Exactly, Nintendo always get a hard time about specs.

Gamecube was thought by many to be weak compared to ps2 and xbox pre release as 6-12 Million polygons was actually a real world in game figure, where sony and ms posted 40 million plus which were theoretical limits that would never happen in game.

Thread moves fast - still catching up on the last few pages. But this post deserves reposting for it's levelheadedness.

This post that it was in response to also needs response...

Do you think discussion amounts purely to praise and affirmation?

Well, this thread is for enthusiasts of the Wii U. If its for trolling and shit starting, then what kind of forum is this? So ultimately it should be for people to discuss etc their hype or whatever for the console. If you are here because you are a spec enthusiast then i would have to ask why the hell and in what world were you living in that you thought Nintendo would be starting an arms race with its next consoles specs? If all you care about are specs then you are in the wrong place. Specs dont matter to 90 percent of people who play Nintendo consoles and for those who need bleeding edge tech there are tons of products out there to satisfy you. Coming to a nintendo console thread to remind everyone how the console lacks power is like going to a thread about oranges and whining that they dont taste enough like grapes.

Its a free world, but i am sometimes astonished at how it never gets old to you guys. Youre never happy just to go comment on something worthwhile.

Exactly, Nintendo always get a hard time about specs.

Gamecube was thought by many to be weak compared to ps2 and xbox pre release as 6-12 Million polygons was actually a real world in game figure, where sony and ms posted 40 million plus which were theoretical limits that would never happen in game.
Actually Sony claimed 66 million unlit, unshaded polygons. MS claimed 100 something million of the same. There was a method to the madness.

Nintendo was the only that made claims ingame. After the costs of lighting and texturing the things.

Wow !, troll much ?.

If the Wii U is a 'mess' then why even post in the official topic about the system ?.

Because I'm a Nintendo fan and I want their consoles to be good.

[...]
It will turn out to be a very smart move imo, when E3 2013 comes and Sony and MS show off either the first reveal of PS4 / 720 or the launch games if they have been revealed before E3, Nintendo will have a showreel of first party games built from the ground up to take full advantage of their new hardware that will blow every one away.

It's pretty much Pikmin for the next 6 months ?, lol what planet are you on ?.

ZombiU, P-100, Lego City, Rabbids Land, NSMB U, Wii Fit U, Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends along with versions of massive winter 2012 games like Blops 2, Madden 13, Fifa 13 and Assassin's Creed 3 ect.

If anything there are too many launch / launch window games and some will have extremely poor sales.

Wii U will have the strongest ever selection of launch games in the history of gaming imo, casual games, fitness games, old HD ports, new multi platform games, big first party games, singing / dancing games, party games, third party exclusives, almost every genre is covered.

It's exactly the console they described at E3 2011, for both the casual and the core, most people knew they wouldn't be able to get most of the massive late 2012 / early 2013 games straight away, i don't know why it's such a surprise.

Obviously, I disagree. I don't think it's a smart strategy, nor do I believe in their masterplan that would have some crazy blowout next year to counter MS/Sony. I would have had hope for that if this year would have been the first unveiling of the console. Of course 2013 will be showing more than this year (which is close to nothing new), but I'm also just sick of waiting at this point.
The launch has a couple of good games, but nothing that screams ,,I need a new 300€ machine for this'' imo. It could have been that, if there would have been some ,,bigger'' stuff at the horizon beyond launch window at least, instead of hiding everything (if they even have anything in the near future, how are you supposed to judge that with this ridiculous strategy). Overall, one would have expected some big-scale Nintendo games, but Pikmin is the only one that comes close to this and the P-100 deal sure is a nice, but not enough for a new console in my eyes. The other things you've mentioned can be bought on many other systems by anyone who's truly interested in them. I personally don't care for most of these Western 3rd p. games, but didn't they have the goal to ,,win back'' the CoD crowd? With mere ports, many of them outdated, and no substantial (high budget) Nintendo support as of now, how did they not fail with this?

Oersted

Obviously, I disagree. I don't think it's a smart strategy, nor do I believe in their masterplan that would have some crazy blowout next year to counter MS/Sony. I would have had hope for that if this year would have been the first unveiling of the console. Of course 2013 will be showing more than this year (which is close to nothing new), but I'm also just sick of waiting at this point.
The launch has a couple of good games, but nothing that screams ,,I need a new 300€ machine for this'' imo. It could have been that, if there would have been some ,,bigger'' stuff at the horizon beyond launch window at least, instead of hiding everything (if they even have anything in the near future, how are you supposed to judge that with this ridiculous strategy). Overall, one would have expected some big-scale Nintendo games, but Pikmin is the only one that comes close to this and the P-100 deal sure is a nice, but not enough for a new console in my eyes. The other things you've mentioned can be bought on many other systems by anyone who's truly interested in them. I personally don't care for most of these Western 3rd p. games, but didn't they have the goal to ,,win back'' the CoD crowd? With mere ports, many of them outdated, and no substantial Nintendo support as of now, how did they not fail with this?

they said core... core =cod?

The launch has a couple of good games, but nothing that screams ,,I need a new 300€ machine for this'' imo. It could have been that, if there would have been some ,,bigger'' stuff at the horizon beyond launch window at least, instead of hiding everything (if they even have anything in the near future, how are you supposed to judge that with this ridiculous strategy). Overall, one would have expected some big-scale Nintendo games, but Pikmin is the only one that comes close to this and the P-100 deal sure is a nice, but not enough for a new console in my eyes. The other things you've mentioned can be bought on many other systems by anyone who's truly interested in them. I personally don't care for most of these Western 3rd p. games, but didn't they have the goal to ,,win back'' the CoD crowd? With mere ports, many of them outdated, and no substantial Nintendo support as of now, how did they not fail with this?

Ugh, ever think that nintendo is doing exactly what they said they were going to do, which is to take a step back from co-releasing its big software at the same time as 3rd parties so that they could maximize profits? I mean, they said it, it makes sense, and yet we still get people saying "WHEREZ MY MARIO GALAXY 3 AT LAUCH???"

I fail to see how your personal disappointment and your personal waiting fatigue makes the console a failure.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Third party games release dates don't mean a whole lot, plenty of games release a few weeks before systems do. Allows people to buy games early & grandma can buy launch shovelware for Christmas while walking through Target.

was a giant batch of new juniors let in from the playpen?

RagnarokX

Ugh, ever think that nintendo is doing exactly what they said they were going to do, which is to take a step back from co-releasing its big software at the same time as 3rd parties so that they could maximize profits? I mean, they said it, it makes sense, and yet we still get people saying "WHEREZ MY MARIO GALAXY 3 AT LAUCH???"

I fail to see how your personal disappointment and your personal waiting fatigue makes the console a failure.

It might be simpler than that. Nintendo doesn't want to show big games that won't be out for a year because it would overshadow the launch games and cause more people to wait on the hardware.

Who is actually anticipating new game announcements at this conference? I'm honestly just curious.

No one (or hardly anyone) denies that E3 was horrendous. I personally think the launch line-up is incredibly strong.

It's perfectly fine to disagree, but I think people are taking their personal disappointments with the launch games as an indication of the potential of the console's entire lifespan.

NateDrake

Who is actually anticipating new game announcements at this conference? I'm honestly just curious.

No one (or hardly anyone) denies that E3 was horrendous. I personally think the launch line-up is incredibly strong.

It's perfectly fine to disagree, but I think people are taking their personal disappointments with the launch games as an indication of the potential of the console's entire lifespan.

Nothing new as in console exclusive. CoD: Blops2 is all I'm expecting, actually.

Anth0ny

It might be simpler than that. Nintendo doesn't want to show big games that won't be out for a year because it would overshadow the launch games and cause more people to wait on the hardware.

Instead, all they have to show is a mediocre launch lineup that will cause more people to wait on the hardware.

aka you missed nothing.

For those that want all games on WiiU?

Ummm, the lack of RAM could be one of the biggest reasons you don't see WiiU iterations of big series going into next gen. Though Call of Duty could be squeezed down to 88MB and DX7 equivalent hardware, it's not going to happen every time.

So if it is really 1 gig for games... don't expect miracles.

The very best case scenario in my head involves the reveal of either Retro or EAD Tokyo's title. I would love to be completely wrong though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

As per my older rants, I welcome new game announcements but don't expect them. I feel from this point until launch Nintendo will be focused on marketing and driving sales for their platform and software that will be available day one, or shortly after. We'll see some announcements that are 'expected' but yet to be made public (eg: Black Ops II, Japanese support, etc), but the September conference will be mostly focused on really selling the unique qualities of the system and why people will want Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U and Pikmin 3 during the launch window.

If we knew all about these titles then I'd be more inclined to expect big new announcements. But as we still have so much to learn (we've seen the same levels and content recycled since E3 2012), including about the hardware itself, I feel this will be the focus of the next few months.

I'm expecting release date and price, and maybe the full list of games for launch. Nothing really beyond that.

Oersted

Not anticipating. We all know Nintendo can show more
atleast it looks most likely
, but when they are showing it is up to them.

..Can we please have a second IM? All this going crazy is fun, but this is the mother
fucking
WiiU-thread, people outside neogaf watching this thread to get some first hand news.
Not some whining how and why Nintendo failed at the WiiUlaunch.

ED Cantu

I would like a couple of new game announcements, I would like to know what Retro's been doing for example but I don't expect new announcements at the conference.

I'm one of those who think the launch line-up is weak, however I don't think that represents how things will turn out in the future for the Wii U, I still plan to buy a Wii U, the only thing that launch line-up does is making me wait to buy it until they announce a game I like.

Hiltz

Iwata confirmed that new third-party game announcements for September Conference back in July. It's been stated multiple times in this thread as well as others.

"I think some of these projects have already been announced at E3, but there are other games in the works that haven’t been announced yet and in the autumn, when we announce price point and timing of the launch, we will also be able to announce some more third-party titles."

As for 1st party games, it does not seem like we will hear about new ones. Nintendo must feel content with the lineup it has and there's almost always a software drought with new hardware. We expect there will be games released every month but that's not the case. By the time E3 2013 comes, we'll know what Nintendo has planned for the second half of the year, including the big games it is saving for the holiday season.

For those that want all games on WiiU?

Ummm, the lack of RAM could be one of the biggest reasons you don't see WiiU iterations of big series going into next gen. Though Call of Duty could be squeezed down to 88MB and DX7 equivalent hardware, it's not going to happen every time.

So if it is really 1 gig for games... don't expect miracles.
So are you saying if the RAM isnt enough thats the newest third party excuse? Not that it wouldnt be valid.

Iwata confirmed that new third-party game announcements for September Conference back in July. It's been stated multiple times in this thread as well as others.

And I expect that to be what fills out the launch list since we only got a partial one.

Mithos

Actually Sony claimed 66 million unlit, unshaded polygons. MS claimed 100 something million of the same. There was a method to the madness.

Nintendo was the only that made claims ingame. After the costs of lighting and texturing the things.

Yea and they were modest with their numbers too, Factor 5 eventually pushed close to 25 million polygons WITH effects/lighting etc etc in Starwars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii U version of DQX is going to be shown at TGS, which tells me 3rd parties will be disclosing their projects from now until TGS.

AzaK

So noone is expecting any sort of "Oh cool!" moment from the 13th, even if it's not a megaton? Not even something like "GTA V and Tomb Raider will be coming to Wii U" ? While I expect nothing any more, it would be nice to see those get a mention and I think would help bolster the third party potential enough to maybe push some over the edge to purchase.

We won't see a Metroid or Zelda. Nintendo will need a counter to the 720/PS4 hype.

Wii U version of DQX is going to be shown at TGS, which tells me 3rd parties will be disclosing their projects from now until TGS.
Did you see/hear that somewhere or just surmising?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So noone is expecting any sort of "Oh cool!" moment from the 13th, even if it's not a megaton? Not even something like "GTA V and Tomb Raider will be coming to Wii U" ? While I expect nothing any more, it would be nice to see those get a mention and I think would help bolster the third party potential enough to maybe push some over the edge to purchase.

Assurance of 2013 Western titles coming to the Wii U isn't out of the question. It can be quickly announced as a "in 2013 you will see X and Y on Wii U" kind of speech. But I guess I'm just setting my standard low as to not lead myself down the path of disappointment, and probably because I'm not interested in those games coming to the Wii U.

Personally, I'm expecting to hear a bit more about the OS/hardware features, and finally see some new NSMB U and Pikmin 3 footage/content. Blops 2 properly announced with various GamePad screen gimmicks showcased. Launch date/price for the US. Stuff like that. Anything else is a bonus.

Terrell

We already knew about this project though, so I'm still waiting...

We know OF this project, the details of what it does differently from the Wii version are entirely unavailable.

But more to the point... it's the first confirmation of a Japanese game demo that isn't P-100 or *snicker* Tank! Tank! Tank!

So I think we can take this as follows: if the NDAs truly existed, they'll be lifted by TGS at the absolute latest and game announcements will be incoming.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
We know OF this project, the details of what it does differently from the Wii version are entirely unavailable.

But more to the point... it's the first confirmation of a Japanese game demo that isn't P-100 or *snicker* Tank! Tank! Tank!

So I think we can take this as follows: if the NDAs truly existed, they'll be lifted by TGS at the absolute latest and game announcements will be incoming.

Right. Nintendo's bizarre secrecy somewhat understandably has made people doubt this, but there was no way Japanese 3rd parties had shown their hand yet.

AzaK

Assurance of 2013 Western titles coming to the Wii U isn't out of the question. It can be quickly announced as a "in 2013 you will see X and Y on Wii U" kind of speech. But I guess I'm just setting my standard low as to not lead myself down the path of disappointment, and probably because I'm not interested in those games coming to the Wii U.

Personally, I'm expecting to hear a bit more about the OS/hardware features, and finally see some new NSMB U and Pikmin 3 footage/content. Blops 2 properly announced with various GamePad screen gimmicks showcased. Launch date/price for the US. Stuff like that. Anything else is a bonus.

That's probably the most interesting thing that I'd want to see; a full reveal of all the OS, social and networking stuff they will have, especially any built-in apps like video chat and browser. How the browser shapes up (Please don't be like the 3ds one) is of great interest to me because if it's usable enough with good range on the GamePad then I can ditch my iPad which I only use for browser based stuff like email and forums.

Cant tell if thats the WiiU page or whatever but Ill take your word for it.
Well yes, the WiiU version'll be at TGS
Horrible Google translation
Special stage at the Square Enix booth, holding a large stage and events updates scheduled in October, the introduction of new information about the version Wii U, such as the type of user participation Battle Trial. In addition, we plan to make data delivery and the passing of the official character of the "useful tool for an adventure outing" Nintendo 3DS, as well in-game photo photo contest were recruited in advance from the player.

This is the exact approach needed in order to not feel burned. I love nintendo and id love a ton of exciting new things to be shown but thats just not how they operate usually so i go in slow to these types of things.

I'll tell you, if Nintendo somehow manages to surprise everyone with all these great games at launch and get the price at that rumored $200, the Wii U will be flying off shelves and that touch screen will start printing money.......eventually.

Anyone know how much money Nintendo would lose per console if they sold the Wii U at a launch price of $199.99? $100-150 per console sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom