• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update live. Nintendo loves us again.

MarkusRJR

I go upstairs to turn on my Wii U for the first time since February or January to download the update and my Game Pad is literally coated in dust. The stupid edges of the resistive touch screen make it impossible to clean without a compressed air bottle. Fuck that. I hated it on the DS/3DS and it's much more of a problem since it it's covered by anything when not in use.

Dicer

Banned
I go upstairs to turn on my Wii U for the first time since February or January to download the update and my Game Pad is literally coated in dust. The stupid edges of the resistive touch screen make it impossible to clean without a compressed air bottle. Fuck that. I hated it on the DS/3DS and it's much more of a problem since it it's covered by anything when not in use.

That would be any item.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Must be an exciting console if an update can cause this reaction :p
More like caused by the OS speed being horrendous.
is there a changelog?
Loading times will be improved when switching between software or when returning to the Wii U menu.
The ability to copy and move data between USB drives will be added.
The Wii U will automatically install new software that you have downloaded in the background while playing a game.
Software updates will automatically be downloaded (even without starting the software).
You can immediately access Wii Mode while the Wii U is starting up if you hold the B button.
The Wii U will continue downloading and installing software even if the system is turned off.

Looks like I've got a 53 minute wait here in Australia. It downloaded the first part pretty rapidly though. I wonder how exactly they handle these downloads anyway. Seems like the kind of thing where a Torrent swarm would be appropriate.

EDIT: Huh, and now it's saying 28 minutes. I can only assume I'm getting good speeds because all the other Aussies are at work. ^^;;

Tokieda

My ETA went from 15 mins to 1:45 within the last 10 minutes.

SHHHHHHH!!

Edit: Now down to 1:01. That wonderful 1:01.

Katsuragi

Changelog:

Version 3.0.0 U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

New Features:

A standby function to download and install software while the system is powered off
Software purchased from the Nintendo eShop will automatically install in the background once the download is complete
Holding down the B Button while the Wii U logo is displayed during startup will load the Wii Menu *¹
Changes to System Settings:

An option to transfer and/or copy between two USB storage devices in "Data Management"
To facilitate this feature, you will now be able to connect two USB storage devices to a single Wii U console*²
The ability to select multiple software titles when transferring, copying, or deleting data in "Data Management"
The option to adjust screen size is now available under "TV" *³
"Auto Power-Down" has been renamed "Power Settings"
Options for the standby function are located within this menu
Changes to Miiverse:

Added support for the Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and Classic Controller
Handwritten posts will now also display on the TV screen during creation
"Undo" and "Redo" buttons are now available when creating a handwritten post
Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings
Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation
Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings
Changes to the Internet Browser:

Added support for the Wii Remote and Wii U Pro Controller
Added the option to change search engines when performing a keyword search
Added the option to return to the start page from the bookmark menu
Changes to Download Management:

Added the option to change the priority of downloads
Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
System wide screen size setting.

Folks should be happy.

I STILL can't get past Checking for Updates...

Awesome, they've switched from a bunch of different screen size settings to a single unified setting. I hope future software takes advantage of that, too.

I was wondering what this was. I booted the console up to check out Nano Assault but it made me update. 3 fake Wii U minutes remaining.

Daingurse

Oooo, what chu you guys got?

tumblr_lrngyb5APL1qcfba3o1_500.gif

Not sarcasm. What's up?

MarkusRJR

Downloading so slowly...

That would be any item.
Any item with a resistive screen you mean. I live in 2013 so the only thing that has some resistive screen uncovered is the Wii U. Capacitive screens have no weird edges to pick up and trap dust like resistive ones.

Looks like I've got a 53 minute wait here in Australia. It downloaded the first part pretty rapidly though. I wonder how exactly they handle these downloads anyway. Seems like the kind of thing where a Torrent swarm would be appropriate.

EDIT: Huh, and now it's saying 28 minutes. I can only assume I'm getting good speeds because all the other Aussies are at work. ^^;;
Not likely, but Akamai would be appropriate. Anyone tcpdumping this? Wireshark even?

Top Bottom