• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U version of Batman: Arkham Origins was developed by Human Head Studios

Effect

I have Assassin's Creed 4 coming Tuesday but I'm close to caving on Batman as well. To the point where I might cave if I see it in the store tomorrow when I head there for other things after work. That the Wii U version is turning out to be the best out of the console versions is making this more appealing for some reason.

I'm a guy and I think his voice is sexy as fuck lol

Actually, all the voices you hear from the spanish version come from mexican professional voice actors D:
Color me interested now :O

Edit: Is the 360 or the Wii U version dubbed? D:

Its walking dead time. Ill check after but in the video it seems like its the wii u version.

fernoca

I'm a guy and I think his voice is sexy as fuck lol

Actually, all the voices you hear from the spanish version come from mexican professional voice actors D:
Color me interested now :O

Edit: Is the 360 or the Wii U version dubbed? D:
Wii U version is. (video)
And yeah..really like Batman's (spanish) voice in this one.

It also seems that it varies, since that spanish dub with mexican actors is for NTSC countries, while PAL used actors from Spain (Batman doesn't sound as cool/sexy :p).

Hypron

Other than the added GamePad functionality the main reason I say that is because the Wii U version seems to have the least amount of bugs, including the ability to actually get the Burnley Tower waypoint correctly and finish the Riddler side-quest. The other versions, including PC are more bug-laden. Obviously the PC version will graphically look better than the Wii U one...but I find less bugs to be > slightly better graphics.

The biggest difference to me is that the PC version can run at at least twice the framerate of (all) the console versions. For an action game this is more important than anything else for me.

Roo

Wii U version is. (video)
And yeah..really like Batman's (spanish) voice in this one.

It also seems that it varies, since that spanish dub with mexican actors is for NTSC countries, while PAL used actors from Spain (Batman doesn't sound as cool/sexy :p).

Oh Shit D:
Watched the whole video.
I know every single voice in it.
Actually, I know some of those actors D:
I'm speechless right now.
I was considering getting this game but this seals the deal. The voice acting is enough for me. Awwww yiss!

ohlawd

dammit this thread sold me on the Wii U version.

If I can see it tomorrow in a TRU I'll get it. Sonic + this until Mario 3D World? That ain't bad at all.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I did above. :)

Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgYiUUmc3I

How awesome that the outsourced team 1UPed the main team, and I'll be honest, I think Human Head is a league above WB Montreal, I mean all WB did prior was the Wii U version of AC, but HH had done really good stuff prior and has been around much longer.

And many thanks for the GREAT summary! :D

Added to OP. :)

On the other hand, based on that video, the Wii U version seems to have lower resolution shadowmaps.

Okay so the port is good...

Is the game good? How is it compared to AA/AC?
Where you place it in the end will come down to personal preference. It's worthy of the name and does several thing better in my opinion, like detective vision, fighting, and story. It feels very similar to AC though, which is good, but it isn't super-refreshing in that sense. As long as your OK with something that feels very same-y on the whole, you should like it quite a bit.

My ranking is:

1. AA
2. AO/AC tie

Where AO loses points for freshness it makes up for in the ways I mentioned before. AC was just... pretty damn awesome when it came out. It's hard to trump that and it's super-packed world. AO's is slightly emptier. If I had to put one in third it would be AO, but I think that would be demoting it too far.

HardRojo

Oh Shit D:
Watched the whole video.
I know every single voice in it.
Actually, I know some of those actors D:
I'm speechless right now.
I was considering getting this game but this seals the deal. The voice acting is enough for me. Awwww yiss!

I could only recognize Mario Castañeda (best known as the guy who dubbed Goku in LatAm), I play all my games with English voices and subs but I might try going with Spanish on my second playthrough.

Went to Gamestop yesterday and saw WiiU version of AC new for 20 bucks. Would it be a good idea to pick that up alongside this game or will I not be missing much if I just jumped straight to Origins? This is going to be my first Batman game btw.

Went to Gamestop yesterday and saw WiiU version of AC new for 20 bucks. Would it be a good idea to pick that up alongside this game or will I not be missing much if I just jumped straight to Origins? This is going to be my first Batman game btw.

if you play City first you wouldn't know wtf is going on with joker because you didn't play asylum.

Origins is a prequel.

iMerc

looks like the wiiU version of AO is delayed here in australia till 06Nov.
ACIV is also delayed until the end of november. wiiU version only.

who the hell are making these brilliant strategic decision? is it the 3rd party publisher or nintendo?

i think it's a fantastic move; that way by the time the wiiU version is released, anybody who has ever wanted to buy these titles would have already done so on other platforms.

good job nintendo/3rd party publisher.

sfried

Nah Nintendo sent in the Ninja to cripple the PS3 and 360 version. :p
looks like the wiiU version of AO is delayed here in australia till 06Nov.
ACIV is also delayed until the end of november. wiiU version only.

who the hell are making these brilliant strategic decision? is it the 3rd party publisher or nintendo?
First Deus Ex: HR DC and now Batman AO... Yamauchi's vengeful spirit seems to be making its rounds...

Penguin

Okay two things

1)I really wish there was some uniformed/universal system for Off-TV play. You can't (unless miss something) go into Off-TV play with this game.. without a TV since needs to be done in the menu and isn't replicated on the GamePad at first.

2)The mini-map on the GamePad has spoiled me in a few hours. I couldn't play long on off-screen because kept having to pause to look at the menu. I'm a sucker! :(

sfried

Okay two things

1)I really wish there was some uniformed/universal system for Off-TV play. You can't (unless miss something) go into Off-TV play with this game.. without a TV since needs to be done in the menu and isn't replicated on the GamePad at first.
Each game does Off-TV play differently, but in W101, toggling between screens and PIP was done through the Select Button. I thought RE:R used the same button to switch but it hasn't worked for me yet.

But I agree that at least all games should standardize by having the Off-Screen switch function be at the bottom screen.

Okay two things

2)The mini-map on the GamePad has spoiled me in a few hours. I couldn't play long on off-screen because kept having to pause to look at the menu. I'm a sucker! :(

Agreed, especially on point number 2!

Another pic:

iVL4D726rJAEE.jpg

AniHawk

no origins for wii u at best buy today. it's probably because it's selling really well and they even had to remove all the wii u branding from the arkham origins kiosk.

TDLink

Each game does Off-TV play differently, but in W101, toggling between screens and PIP was done through the Select Button. I thought RE:R used the same button to switch but it hasn't worked for me yet.

But I agree that at least all games should standardize by having the Off-Screen switch function be at the bottom screen.

Most games now use Select/Minus so that seems to be becoming the standard. Arkham Origins unfortunately does not do this. You need to actually switch it in the options menus.

no origins for wii u at best buy today. it's probably because it's selling really well and they even had to remove all the wii u branding from the arkham origins kiosk.

When I went to Best Buy I asked an employee about it since I didn't see it on the shelf and he told me to ask at the checkout. Turns out they had Wii U copies behind the register rather than out on the store floor. Why I'm not sure but I found it very odd. I don't know if your best buy may be doing the same thing, might want to check its store availability on bestbuy.com.

Okay two things

This is something else lost from the Wii U version of AC, you could totally start up your Wii U, launch the game, and set it to Gamepad only mode with out ever turning your TV on.

It's nice that it's such a quality port but it's a shame how much Gamepad functionality was lost. Specially considering WB Montreal were the folks who did the AC Wii U port and added in all that functionality!

Porcile

I'm, glad to hear the port is decent but it's a shame that some of the great Gamepad functionality has been lost since AC. I really liked the things that game did. Hopefully there will be a director's cut at some point,

disap.ed

Most games now use Select/Minus so that seems to be becoming the standard. Arkham Origins unfortunately does not do this. You need to actually switch it in the options menus.

Yeah, I hope they patch this in. Rayman Legends (at least the demo) doesn't let you chose Off-TV without the TV as well AFAIK. This really sucks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must admit, I'm surprised and impressed with the work Human Head put into the Wii U version. A huge turn around from the appalling Armored Edition of the last game.

Yeah, I hope they patch this in. Rayman Legends (at least the demo) doesn't let you chose Off-TV without the TV as well AFAIK. This really sucks.
The full game allows it (just press start at any point and the menu on the controller allows you to select off-TV mode).

AniHawk

I must admit, I'm surprised and impressed with the work Human Head put into the Wii U version. A huge turn around from the appalling Armored Edition of the last game.

well the armored edition was the team that made the buggier/technically inferior (from what's been said) ps3/360 versions. so... it makes sense.

Maxrunner

The full game allows it (just press start at any point and the menu on the controller allows you to select off-TV mode).

IS this game more like Arkaham Asylum and less like city?

keakster

I'm not very far, but I haven't encountered any bugs or glitches. I hope that continues.

Had my first lock up today, started out by dropping to 1-2 FPS before it froze, music continue for about another minute before it went silent, hard reboot fixed everything, no save corruption thank god

Happened when I was fighting a small group of thugs (5-6) around a Penguin crate, there was also a lot of radio chatter going on which I think is what caused the freeze. Many overlapping audio clips and pop up HUD info.

D-e-f-

Banned
What would be cool here is a filter added to Miiverse to go to someone's profile and view only posts that were tagged with "accomplishment", grouped by game title. There's your achievement system folks.

That would be the solution I dreamt up a few months ago. I so hope they do this. Gone would be the "no cheevos" whining and you could even comment on them!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well maybe Human Head had more of a focus on quality instead of adding more features. It could explain the better framerate and fewer bugs mentioned in the OP.

Seik

Banned
So Wii U version is the definitive version? Nice, because the Arkham City port was the worst version (I think?) and it got me wondering about this one, even if it's not even the same team, thing I just learned right now.

I can see the Pro Controller is compatible as well, Arkham City was Gamepad only (didn't tried, but there's only a Gamepad behind the box) so that's a more than welcomed addition as well, all games should be Pro Controller compatible.

Noted, this is the version I'll grab when it'll go down in price a bit.

Top Bottom