• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: what a difference a single game can make

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Those websites often write everything and their opposite. i.e. “5 reasons why you should buy a Wii U” and then two weeks after “5 reasons why you should pick a PS4”. It doesn't show any kind of trend.

I bought all 3 did this somehow create a singularity by combining a three way opposite?

oSoLucky

Right now? Today? Yes, and by a pretty meaningful margin unless you need blu-ray playback.

If gaming is about the games, the WiiU is the best current nextGen system.

The PS4/XB1 are better systems for the games if you like sports titles, Dead Rising, Resogun or FPS games. It's all subjective. Also, the other 2 look like they have much more future potential at this point, so that's a huge selling point.

Kurtofan

Yep. People are sick of the Mario of Duty franchise, it's not going to move many units in any region this holiday.

What Nintendo's done to this series should be criminal. What was once a series synonymous with fun is now just derivative simplistic pap content with giving you sterile unchallenging gameplay.

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

Retailers seem to have written it off completely though. Wiifit meter is not stocked, mario and luigi pack doesnt get stocked. Mario 3d world isnt on sheleves on release date and clerks doesnt know it exists.....

Those websites often write everything and their opposite. i.e. “5 reasons why you should buy a Wii U” and then two weeks after “5 reasons why you should pick a PS4”. It doesn't show any kind of trend.
^This
There was a similar trio of articles like last week I think, there were gaf threads about them. I forget

The PS4/XB1 are better systems for the games if you like sports titles, Dead Rising, Resogun or FPS games. It's all subjective. Also, the other 2 look like they have much more future potential at this point, so that's a huge selling point.

So im getting those system when that potential materializes in a good game. By then the price will be cheap to. Thats what people in here are saying.

Sendou

The entire OS/App experience matters to more than just me. At least I think so. Nintendo's biggest problem with the Wii U is that third parties don't give a crap about it, and like you said Nintendo doesn't have enough stuff announced yet to instill confidence in a lot of gamers that the console will be worth it. Next year is what? Another DK game, another Mario Kart, and another Smash? Where's the new stuff? Mario 3D World was enough to rope me in (along with Pikmin and Zelda), but it wouldn't have been if PS4 had competent launch titles.

He does have a good point, however, one I've never put much thought into. I hate the UI of the Wii (not U, haven't tried it) and the 3DS simply for their lack of remarkability. The PS3 however has a very pleasing UI, one that is streamlined very well.

You simply cannot say that if the Wii U had a UI that was developed as well as Nintendo's first party games, or its competitors UIs, that it would not help Nintendo stay relevent.

Yeah there's lots to improve with the UI but I'd still argue two things.

a) It's not that bad. There's parts that work better than with the competition. Overall experience is not as good necessarily.

b) Even if they perfected the UI it wouldn't get Wii U out of the mess it's in. In other words they wouldn't go from zero to hero with nailing just that. They have more important stuff to worry about.

Relatively speaking? No. It's going to be far and away the worst selling Mario platformer ever.

Bold statement. One that 3DS software sales aren't necessarily supporting.

oSoLucky

There's still plenty of reasons to be critical of Nintendo, but you can't deny the Wii U has an amazing line-up now.

They have a few really good games, but I own 6 games(WWHD, W101, SM3DW, NSMBU, Deus Ex , NintendoLand).......which is every single one of the games that interests me from the system. Interestingly, I own 8 PS4 games already. There are a lot of consumers that don't care for MonHun/Pikmin/Lego City Undercover. If MK8 and Smash(and maybe SMTxFE based on my history w/ Atlus RPGs) were out this holiday, then I would agree, but I don't currently think the system's lineup is very good yet FOR MY TASTES.

So im getting those system when that potential materializes in a good game. By then the price will be cheap to. Thats what people in here are saying.

I feel you, and that's the smart thing to do for a lot of people. I was simply stating that the Wii U's games aren't that good to a lot of consumers, so they will pick up one of the other 2 before they go with Ninty. The gaming demographic that purchases a PS4/XB1 is different than the one that goes with Nintendo systems in a lot of cases, and a pretty sizable set of consumers only own one console per generation.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
I have a Wii U and love it, but isn't the biggest complaint from Gaf is that its overpriced?

That's because most of Gaf looks at it in terms of price:performance, which produces simple objective answers that don't tell us anything about how enjoyable the product is. I have a PS4 and a Wii U and they're both great purchases because I'm having a ton of fun with them. I'm not paying for gigaFLOPs and operating systems, I'm paying for games.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wasn't the Wii U featured on CNET as one of the worst gifts this holiday?

Anyhow, I've known for sometime now that I'm getting a Wii U for Christmas and I couldn't be more excited. Wii U SMBU Bundle, Zelda, Pikmin, Super Mario 3d and I already nabbed a copy of Monster Hunter from BB for 20 bucks! I'm hoping to pick up W101, Zombie U and Lego City at some point after the new year.

Anyhow, my PC will get me by and I've always been a huge fans of Nintendo IP (seriously so excited about the new pikmin). I'll be watching Sony and MS to see what exclusive they may offer, but until some must haves start coming out I'm fine without either new console.

rtcn63

So Mario and Zelda selling is gonna vastly improve third-party attach rates right?

*Looks at Wii next to bed* Fool me once, shame on you...

Stencil

Retailers seem to have written it off completely though. Wiifit meter is not stocked, mario and luigi pack doesnt get stocked. Mario 3d world isnt on sheleves on release date and clerks doesnt know it exists.....

He's right, folks, retailers (all of them) have written it off and none of Nintendo's products are available at any retailers.

AzaK

As a Nintendo diehard, I'm happy to see that it's gaining more coverage. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves, though...

Part of me almost wants Nintendo to continue receiving a wake-up call (read: poor sales) so it can shape the hell up with its internet infrastructure
Yup. They need to fail hard this generation to get some perspective. Otherwise well get the same Nintendo next gen and I'd prefer this to not be my last Nintendo console.

Yes 1 game makes a difference but it is not the whole story obviously.

I mean everyone noted W101 was sent out to die, but Nintendo was just riding their plan, that is add this types of games (like W101, LoZ WW HD, etc) to make the library and the system more enticing and varied. It is certainly paying off big time because I imagine a new buyer goes

"ok I want SM3DW but just one game, then looks at the library, game recommendations and there is W101, Pikmin 3, LoZ WW HD, some nice local MP party games, some 3rd party standouts". All of a sudden you got your killer app next to some other well crafted games it is a no brainer. I hope the Wii U turns it around!!

I am a kid again, playing with my 8yo SM3DW. Best highlight of the year IMO.

okayfrog

Banned
Those articles keep mentioning "value" with the Wii U. Yes, its the cheapest, but is it the best bang for your buck?

The Wii U is the only system that's backwards compatible. Lotta bang just in that, and one of the main reasons I would consider purchasing a Wii U.

Those articles keep mentioning "value" with the Wii U. Yes, its the cheapest, but is it the best bang for your buck?

Off TV play is great, and you don't have to drop an extra $150 for a Vita on top of the $400 for the PS4 to get it.

Wiimotes are also compatible with the Wii U, so if you were a Wii owner, the upgrade cost is reduced (whereas Microsoft and Sony force you to buy completely new controllers, even though there was nothing wrong with the old ones).

So Mario and Zelda selling is gonna vastly improve third-party attach rates right?

*Looks at Wii next to bed* Fool me once, shame on you...

Wii couldn't run current gen software.

Wii U can. Wii U can run Watch Dogs. It could run just about anything XBONE and PS4 could run, except at reduced specs. That is something the Wii could not do.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's because it's the counter opinion. They could have started saying this stuff this summer, but didn't. Now with the focus on the PS4 and Xbox One, they counter with these opinions (as fleshed out as they may be) for hits.

It's good business. Sports radio and politics being talked about on cable do the same thing every year.

As much as Mario looks amazing and is probably the best looking Mario game, to me, since SMW, I just can't justify spending $350 to play it...I want to, but when that price drop comes I'll be all over it.

Shinta

Banned
Yep, I had PS4 pre-ordered on day 1 the day of the reveal.

Canceled it and got a Wii U and

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Wonder 101
Sonic Lost World
Nintendo Land
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Art Academy
Trine 2
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Wii Sports Club

That's a pretty crushing line-up to have right now. It's not just a list of good games. Some of those are MAJOR GOTY candidates. And then early next year it goes right into:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
X
Fire Emblem x SMT

And more unannounced titles. The Wii U is no joke, and it's definitely worth the price of admission right now. The UI is fast, the gamepad is literally my favorite controller ever, and MiiVerse is a great addition. Off-TV play is the biggest addition to console gaming for me since motion control. No longer do you debate "is this game better on a handheld or on console?" It's both, and you can swap between the two instantly. That's fucking huge.

3DS and Wii U are dominating this year for me personally. PS4 will get there, but it might not even fully take off until early 2015 at this rate.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Wii U can. Wii U can run Watch Dogs. It could run just about anything XBONE and PS4 could run, except at reduced specs. That is something the Wii could not do.

This isn't true. For instance (and I don't know the answer), will the Wii U get The Witcher 3 next year?

turnbuckle

I'll be thrilled if the Wii U has a huge holiday and goes on to selling better than the Gamecube month to month next year. I'm not touching one until the price comes down and the library fills out more, but I know I'll eventually own it. A desperate but strong Nintendo is the best kind of Nintendo. But they need to get more desperate because that price doesn't look all too hot compared to the PS4.

JordanN

Banned
Games can most certainly sell hardware when your games are as top-notch as these are. Seriously, ALBW and SM3DW on the same day?

Nobody is cranking out software that is this much fun. Other games may be addictive, exciting, lengthier, or more macho, but Nintendo's software still has a magical formula that simply surpasses all the rest.

As someone's who's played it all, Nintendo's games are some of the only ones that still make me feel like I'm experiencing something truly fresh.
Really? I don't know what makes Smash Bros or Mario Kart more fresh than any other game on the market. It's still using the same formula as the first few games abide something extra thrown in (3D?).

I think any new IP has more worth than that.

Sendou

This isn't true. For instance (and I don't know the answer), will the Wii U get The Witcher 3 next year?

The Witcher 2 ran on Xbox 360 and that game looked insane on PC. Wii U isn't getting any (big) 3rd party games except Watch_dogs and what's going to be announced next year.

rpmurphy

Buying on potential is a waste, though. There's no benefit to being an early adopter unless there are some exclusive stuff available that will be discontinued later on.

PhantomR

Banned
I've been hearing reports that the Mario and Luigi bundles are starting to sell out and are getting difficult to find in a lot of retail stores.

That's definitely a good sign.

Damaniel

Banned
Super Mario 3D World seems to be selling quite well (I got the last copy at my local store), but the bigger question is whether these games are being sold to existing Wii U owners, or if the game is moving units. The pile of 20 (or so) Wii U bundles at the same store I bought Mario from tells me that it's probably a case of the former. However, Mario games usually have long legs, so the game might move a few systems once word gets out.

Still, one game isn't going to be enough to save the Wii U. Nintendo needs to be pumping out Mario 3D World-caliber releases on a monthly basis to get people interested, and even that may not be enough. The PS4 and Xbox One is going to make things a lot harder going forward, too...

WiiU won't get the witcher but I seriously doubt they couldn't bring a similar experience on wiiU without the bells and wistles if they thought it was worth it (which I doubt, barring serious money hatting).

Bkey

Banned

Who said that? And what does Zelda have to do with this topic?

My Wii U was worth it to me after 1 year but it might not be to other people who only can afford one console. I have all 3 but I will be playing Mario the most this weekend.

Derrick01

Banned

Wii could run anything 360/ps3 could too if you drastically neutered the game. It will be the same for Wii U. It's getting watch dogs, yes, but the last gen version of watch dogs. It will be compared to the 360/ps3 version and based on most last gen multiplats it has it wouldn't shock me if it performs worse than 360/ps3

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Right now a store here has a deal where I can get one for €300 with New SMB Wii U + Luigi, so 2 games... Are these worth it in singleplayer as well? I'm mighty tempted right now to just hold off on PS4 and get in on that Wii U deal.

He's right, folks, retailers (all of them) have written it off and none of Nintendo's products are available at any retailers.

I know its anecdotal evidence. But its not happening to one or two products and its not happening at one or two places. It seems to be happening to anything wiiu related in all over the US.
Right now a store here has a deal where I can get one for €300 with New SMB Wii U + Luigi, so 2 games... Are these worth it in singleplayer as well? I'm mighty tempted right now to just hold off on PS4 and get in on that Wii U deal.

The games (both) are definately good. And yes they are both good singleplayer games.

i know Ill get a lot of hate but if this thing came in a bundle with the pro controller instead of gamepad and was $250, I'd already have one by now.

Huh? Buy the Ebay Black Friday Wii U Bundle deal, it should be the NSMBU+NSLU bundle, for $250. Then buy the Nyko Wii U Pro Controller for $12 over at Amazon/Walmart. Now you've got all you wanted for $262, plus you own the Gamepad (which is awesome, by the way).

Shinta

Banned

It's a great deal. If you like Super Mario World on SNES, it's worth it. They're great in off-TV play too.

Sendou

I played them solo and liked them a lot.

I know its anecdotal evidence. But its not happening to one or two products and its not happening at one or two places. It seems to be happening to anything wiiu related in all over the US.

The games (both) are definately good. And yes they are both good singleplayer games.

Well don't worry everyone on this planet will know what Wii U is after it hits the 9 million forecast
:p

Top Bottom