• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU and Vita beta/dev browsers HTML5 scores

I can't do anything on that side in the PS3 browser, no test no nothing

maybe that's why they don't have data

It used to be up there. Was the second shittiest, only better than the vita browser. I'll try testing when I get home.

considering the missing features are just what Nintendo is looking out for security and legal reasons yeah pretty damn good start. I'll be all over that thing.

What do you mean the missing features are what Nintendo is looking out for security and legal reasons?

kitsuneyo

This is promising news. I don't have a tablet, I usually browse the web on my iPhone when I can't be arsed to switch on the laptop. WiiU is gonna be great for YouTube vids, iPlayer and all that stuff.

Koralsky

My PS3 slim:

599117_10151108844497499_2112610730_n.jpg

It used to be up there. Was the second shittiest, only better than the vita browser. I'll try testing when I get home.

What do you mean the missing features are what Nintendo is looking out for security and legal reasons?

The missing features from the lists on the test site where "NO" is listed seem to line up with Open Platform uses like a PC would benefit from. A closed platform like WiiU may not need them and would need to consider piracy as to what features are active in a browser. I don't see many "NOs" but that is the only thing limiting the score.

I know Miiverse will be browser/web based on other platforms, I wonder if this this the reason this is so close to being fully featured

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Knowing 70% of people use their tablet only at home, mostly to browse the web, the GamePad will quickly find a place beyond gaming. Moreso knowing it's also a TV remote, with TVii features, video chat features, etc.

The GamePad being very close to an iPad mini as far as browsing is concerned raises Wii U's value significantly.

AndTAR

Nice. While it's a bummer Wii U is missing MP3 support, I couldn't help but notice it supports a few features iOS Safari does not: Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Opus, and Web Notifications.

Mario007

Knowing 70% of people use their tablet only at home, mostly to browse the web, the GamePad will quickly find a place beyond gaming. Moreso knowing it's also a TV remote, with TVii features, video chat features, etc.

The GamePad being very close to an iPad mini as far as browsing is concerned raises Wii U's value significantly.

The lack of multitouch makes it a bit shitty for browsing though.

iceatcs

Pretty nice score for Vita beta and Wii U. It is must-have feature pretty much.

Hopefully Nintendo will update Wii U pad to be portable anywhere.

iceatcs

how many updates have this browser gone through so far?

There are 13 updates that did for browsers (out of ~60 updates). NOT all of them are for improvement/performance.
I count that 6 of them are design to improvement, and 7 are addition features like printer support/newest flash version etc...

Sound like they only did once a year major update their browser. That is really poor. I hope next time will be better.

Shahed

That reminds me. I've never tried to browse the net on any of my current consoles/handhelds. The only exception was a very brief attempt on PSP before I got a smartphone.

I doubt I'll ever feel the need to use them

AndTAR

That reminds me. I've never tried to browse the net on any of my current consoles/handhelds. The only exception was a very brief attempt on PSP before I got a smartphone.

I doubt I'll ever feel the need to use them

Me neither, however if the Wii U turns out speedy enough in minimizing a game and switching to the browser, I could sort of see myself using it a lot; especially if it really performs as well as the test implies.

Also, how could html5test.com have gotten hold of Wii U data? Someone in Nintendo HQ intentionally submitted a test result? I know unreleased Apple devices sometimes get caught on the web, but I thought Nintendo was more secretive.

Coxy

I'd advise people to click through and see what boxes are ticked and what ones arent, the raw score doesnt mean much unless you consider mp3 support or fullscreen support equally important as page visibility and object store functions

Agent X

Me neither, however if the Wii U turns out speedy enough in minimizing a game and switching to the browser, I could sort of see myself using it a lot; especially if it really performs as well as the test implies.

Also, how could html5test.com have gotten hold of Wii U data? Someone in Nintendo HQ intentionally submitted a test result? I know unreleased Apple devices sometimes get caught on the web, but I thought Nintendo was more secretive.

They probably noticed their browser was smacking down the other game consoles' browsers by a rather large margin, so they went ahead and submitted it.

I'm curious about this PS Vita "beta" browser. That's quite a jump from before. While it's not quite Wii U level, it's still a considerable improvement. Hopefully this is something that will be released to the public very soon.

Shikoro

After so many post with the same question, there is still no one who wants to answer. What the hell is that Vita beta and how did they get a hold of it?

androvsky

After so many post with the same question, there is still no one who wants to answer. What the hell is that Vita beta and how did they get a hold of it?

I'm sure it's a new version the developers are currently testing out. Don't get too excited though, have you checked to see what it actually supports? No html5 video, no audio, no web audio api; it gets a bunch of points for native binary support for WebGL, but doesn't actually support WebGL. Unless they fix the scrolling where it fills in the screen by chunks, I doubt most people would notice the difference between the beta browser and the old one.

The PS3 went from a browser meant for pre-iPhone mobile phones to a webkit-based one, but because it didn't support html5 video and the flash plugin remained the same many people felt it wasn't much of a difference. Oh well, at least Sony finally gives the option to turn off the "Do you want to run the plugin?" question, only took them six years.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Internal testers may have tested it on the site, so that's how it would have been added to their database.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Internal testers may have tested it on the site, so that's how it would have been added to their database.

To be clear, this implies obvious HTML5 support already in right? It's not some impossible dream or something but I'm eagerly awaiting such an update for Vita sine I use it a lot for browsing.

To be clear, this implies obvious HTML5 support already in right? It's not some impossible dream or something but I'm eagerly awaiting such an update for Vita sine I use it a lot for browsing.

Yes, HTML5 is already in and sites like YouTube already work on it:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31760

That's a great score, I can't wait to try the new browser. My launch day is going to be marathon sessions of NSMBU and MST3K episodes on YouTube.

galvatron

I wonder how viable this will be for web based games to be playable via WiiU's touchscreen controller. Is Nintendo going to have a dashboard full of ads, like xbox? If I were making an HTML 5 game that was suitable, I'd definitely want to advertise on that dashboard and link to my game.

wii u browser not supporting mp3, how bad things will be because of this?
Not many browsers support mp3s natively. That's done via extensions. If Nintendo included mp3 support, they'd have to pay a royalty with each system sold with the controller possibly being considered a separate system.

Hell of a jump for Vita with the beta.

Yes, but then I compared features, and the new one also seems to have zero support for Audio and Video playback, so much will depend on how they integrate features like opening links in Youtube and such ... So I'm not really getting my hopes up, except that Yoshida seems to be a man of his word, which is hopeful in itself!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not sure if posted elsewhere. Info on Wii U browser. Essentially NetFront Browser NX v2.1.

Quite a technical rundown actually.

I don't use a browser to play mp3's and I imagine most people don't either.

Web Standard

HTML4.01/HTML5/XHTML1.1/CSS1/CSS2.1/CSS3. (partial functionality)
DOM1-3/ECMAScript
XMLHttpRequest/canvas/Video/Web Storage (partial functionality)
Web Messaging/Server-Sent Events/Device Orientation/WOFF/SVG
Darn, I so wanted to see WebGL in there.. : )

wsippel

Banned
Well, even though they reserve insane amounts of RAM for the OS, they're obviously not wasting it on the browser.

Bloom

Banned
The record is currently held by Dolphin on Android (with the Jetpack add-on), which has a score of 480 out of 500.

Datschge

wii u browser not supporting mp3, how bad things will be because of this?

Not bad at all since every serious site supporting HTML5 audio tags also offer Ogg Vorbis which Wii U supports.

The record is currently held by Dolphin on Android (with the Jetpack add-on), which has a score of 480 out of 500.

Tizen 2 (Samsungs own mobile OS) is reported to reach 485...

TheD

The Detective
The missing features from the lists on the test site where "NO" is listed seem to line up with Open Platform uses like a PC would benefit from. A closed platform like WiiU may not need them and would need to consider piracy as to what features are active in a browser. I don't see many "NOs" but that is the only thing limiting the score.

I know Miiverse will be browser/web based on other platforms, I wonder if this this the reason this is so close to being fully featured

You have NFI.

It has NOTHING to do with piracy!

This is a test of what HTML 5 features a browser supports! What this means is that any webpage that use the unsupported features will be broken!

AndTAR

Hm, will the Wii U browser display in a 720p or 1080p resolution?

I can only imagine the OS layer being viewable in 1080p. From what I understand, the browser will be part of the OS layer (just like on 3DS), so Full HD browsing should pretty much be a given.

Top Bottom