• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think the press shots of Smash are just downsampled from 1080p.

What is the chance Smash was originally a Wii game? What seems to be the complete lack of modern shading on the environments and grass like this is suspect:

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2013/06/11/wiiusmashbrosscrnc0104-copyjpg-30b8c0.jpg

Well, it IS an early build, so I wouldn't place judgement until the final code is for sale. Also, yes the image DOES have signs of down-sampling. Look at the steepest side of Mario's hat. you'll notice almost no jaggies; anti-aliasing done by down-sampling (in other words, SSAA).

What is the chance Smash was originally a Wii game? What seems to be the complete lack of modern shading on the environments and grass like this is suspect:

If you mean that this Smash game was possibly in development as the 2nd Smash game for the Wii console? Then there is zero chance.

Back in January, they did not even make mention of showing Smash footage of E3, just screenshots. I doubt the game will release before holiday 2014.

wsippel

Banned
The geometry of the background city is really very simple. Simple flat surfaces etc:

wiiubayonetta2scrn03e3jpg-50e914.jpg
And why shouldn't it be simple? You're flying through it at several hundred kph while fighting hordes of angels - you'd never notice any details. Not to mention it would be completely stupid to waste money on making it more detailed when you barely see it for three minutes in the game.

And why shouldn't it be simple? You're flying through it at several hundred kph while fighting hordes of angels - you'd never notice any details. Not to mention it would be completely stupid to waste money on making it more detailed when you barely see it for three minutes in the game.
Plus, it run in 60fps + V-sync (i have seen no tearing at all in the 60fps videos) + streaming on the gamepad again in 60fps, all of it in 720p I guess. It's really impressive if you compare to the first one.

Pjsprojects

I guess all the people who said the WiiU was only on par with PS360 feel pretty stupid right now.
Still wondering how they got all this from such a low watts machine??

I guess all the people who said the WiiU was only on par with PS360 feel pretty stupid right now.
I feel the same for me... After E3, i guess this is clearly a gamecube in HD era. low spec on paper but it's totally different on screen.

AzaK

I have yet to see anything that's significantly better than the HD twins at E3. I know Wii U is more capable but just barely.

Pjsprojects

I have yet to see anything that's significantly better than the HD twins at E3. I know Wii U is more capable but just barely.

Oh come on, how long can people keep harping on about the PS360, look how the first year games looked for the HD twins, we have already seen far better stuff on WiiU than was ever possible on those two.

Just to add that what is on paper is only part fact as so much is custom.

Do you have a video link (and maybe position in the video where you see this)? I've watched a couple but I can't really see much to write home about.

I just need to play Nintendoland to see this. Especially on the Plaza and the Zelda game. I can see similar sophisticated lighting in Pikmin, Kart and SMW.

Secret Sauce. Sometimes it's absolutely delicious, but even then, you probably don't want to know what's in it.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with what the Wii U looks to bring to the table graphically. Though I must admit, more info on the secret sauce would be hard to ignore.

30fps

Oh come on, how long can people keep harping on about the PS360, look how the first year games looked for the HD twins, we have already seen far better stuff on WiiU than was ever possible on those two.

Just to add that what is on paper is only part fact as so much is custom.

Not exactly. As many would bring up, it still hasn't topped the God of War: Acensions of the world.

ozfunghi

Zero chance of it being a wii game originally, if only due to the fact that Nintendo doesn't release 2 Smash games in 1 generation. But chances are they valued resolution and framerate due to the fast paced chaotic nature of the game, over other features and started with assets they knew would not hamper 1080p/60fps, and build their way up from there.

assuming that Bayonetta's model is using a scaled-down 60,000 poly version (I think that the 100K model may be for promotional purposes, but in the event that the game IS using the absolutely ridiculous model in game, I'll do an estimation for that as well) and the enemies on screen are maybe 20,000 polys considering how detailed they are, with an average of 3 enemies on screen, the plane is maybe 20,000 polygons (it doesn't need to be that detailed, but with enough polys to look smooth), and the city is probably streamed to avoid having to load that ENTIRE BLOODY CITY ALL AT ONCE, I'm assuming that the city at any moment in time is showing about 600,000 polys. And if her hair monsters are in frame, I'm assuming that, at the most basic level, they have about 10,000 polygons. All together (for the low-poly Bayonetta theory, that would bring my estimate to approx. 750,000 polys per frame (about 45 million polys/second). With the 100K Bayonetta model theory, I estimate about 790,000 polys per frame (47.4 million polys/second). I could be (and probably am) way off with this, but that seems like a fairly safe estimate, since you want to maintain a smoother framerate and the city and plane don't need to be that detailed, but the enemies, Bayonetta and her hair monsters need to be fairly detailed.

Six hundred thousand? I'm sorry but that seems WAY off. I doubt the entire city got that kind of poly budget, let alone the parts that are shown at any given time.

It's never "Oh, it's a work in progress" it's always "This looks like it was originally a Wii/3DS/N64 game..."
Not to mention in the same set of screenshots we see Bowser who very much is using modern shading techniques

So God of War is open world, has a draw distance similar to MK8 and frame rate or how about Bayo 2.

MK8 is a racing game and should be compared to other racing games (screens don't make it look as great as everyone wants it to be) and Bayonetta 2... well, look at the screen above for that.

Wii U ain't doing anything too impressive. *shrug*

ozfunghi

MK8 is a racing game and should be compared to other racing games (screens don't make it look as great as everyone wants it to be) and Bayonetta 2... well, look at the screen above for that.

Wii U ain't doing anything too impressive. *shrug*

lol

God of War runs at 60fps as well?

Is it 60 fps?

You are right that 60fps makes a world of difference for shooter/hack 'n slash fast action games like Bayonetta 2, graphically it looks amazing for running that smooth. Not to mention that boss at the end of the demo looks extremely impressive.......God of War 3 was in development for how long? Both are impressive for what they are trying to do.

I won't go into Bayonetta 1 on PS3 since it's not fair due to the development issues it had, but this sequel on the Wii U seems to be kicking ass so far and it's still in the middle of development.

lol

God of War runs at 60fps as well?

It looks better and runs what, 30-ish? I don't doubt that under the same circumstances that Bayonetta 2 could look as good. My point is that Wii U isn't doing much of anything significantly more impressive than current gen. That's fine, though.

I don't think that it's entirely fair to compare the game to GoW. The level of Bayonetta 2 that we saw wasn't really comparable to the levels in GoW. It's like trying to compare Killer7 to Splinter Cell; THe GoW levels are mostly large, open, mountainous landscapes and the Bayonetta 2 level was a low-poly, fast-moving city.

It looks better and runs what, 30-ish? I don't doubt that under the same circumstances that Bayonetta 2 could look as good. My point is that Wii U isn't doing much of anything significantly more impressive than current gen. That's fine, though.

I don't think that God of War 3 or Ascension look better than Bayonetta 2. In fact, Bayonetta 2 is one step shy of shitting on those games graphically. THEN we get to the frame rate. The only thing on the B2 demo that is weak is the plane, but then again, it takes damage during the battle, and yeah, it's an incomplete game due out a year from now or more.

I think this whole "looks like PS360" - discussion doesn't make any sense if you continue it like this.

What you're basically trying to compare are totally abstract parameters, which you can't specify just by looking at them.

- Polycount?
- Sharpness of textures?
- Lighting?
- Crazyness of effects?

Fact is, most Wii U games which are build from the ground run in 60fps, some of them in 1080p, no tearing and whatsoever.

I didn't see a single bad texture in those games, they look absolutely clean and we can agree that the lighting in most games stands-out quite nicely.

What we can say is that there's a lack of AA everywhere though.

And we're talking about the first batch of Wii U games. I can't say that PS360 give me similar results if you consider this.

God of War looks good of course, but it's 720p/30fps and everyone knows what tricks they need to use to get this kind of graphics and it's one of SCEs prestige projects (like The Last of Us).

Log4Girlz

I think this whole "looks like PS360" - discussion doesn't make any sense if you continue it like this.

What you're basically trying to compare are totally abstract parameters, which you can't specify just by looking at them.

- Polycount?
- Sharpness of textures?
- Lighting?
- Crazyness of effects?

Fact is, most Wii U games which are build from the ground run in 60fps, some of them in 1080p, no tearing and whatsoever.

I didn't see a single bad texture in those games, they look absolutely clean and we can agree that the lighting in most games stands-out quite nicely.

And we're talking about the first batch of Wii U games. I can't say that PS360 give me similar results if you consider this.

God of War looks good of course, but it's 720p/30fps and everyone knows what tricks they need to use to get this kind of graphics and it's one of SCEs prestige projects (like The Last of Us).

The comparisons between Wii U and the previous gen are going to be broad and ambiguous. Even game engines on the same system can yield incredibly different results and performances. When we look at the Wii U, especially now that we have a number of XB1/PS4 games to compare to, we want to see if games look in general closer to the 7th gen or the 8th. 8th gen games are already looking pretty great with substantial polygon count upgrades, fantastic improvements in lighting and 1080 p seems to be standard already in the first wave.

Has any XB1/PS4 game been confirmed any less than 1080 p?

ugoo18

The comparisons between Wii U and the previous gen are going to be broad and ambiguous. Even game engines on the same system can yield incredibly different results and performances. When we look at the Wii U, especially now that we have a number of XB1/PS4 games to compare to, we want to see if games look in general closer to the 7th gen or the 8th. 8th gen games are already looking pretty great with substantial polygon count upgrades, fantastic improvements in lighting and 1080 p seems to be standard already in the first wave.

Has any XB1/PS4 game been confirmed any less than 1080 p?

Can't think of any, maybe BF4?

I know it's framerate was mentioned but i don't remember EA mentioning if it was in 1080p.

TedNindo

I notice similar lighting in some Nintendo games. Mario Kart, the Zelda mini game in Nintendo Land and WInd Waker HD. Is that hardware related? Or just a stylistic choice?

Heyt

Banned
I notice similar lighting in some Nintendo games. Mario Kart, the Zelda mini game in Nintendo Land and WInd Waker HD. Is that hardware related? Or just a stylistic choice?

I would say it's because they are all using the same engine in the same way. If that's true I would say it's Unity.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

- Polycount?
- Sharpness of textures?
- Lighting?
- Crazyness of effects?

Look harder. Every single Wii-U shot on this page has some iffy textures. As for looking clean, that's one of the advantages of the artstyle Nintendo tends to favour (slabs of colour over detail in textures, solid and rounded geometry) and that some 3rd party titles are also implementing (W101). Even then though, it would have been nice if Nintendo went that little bit further in providing hardware that would better represent their chosen artstyle. MK looks pretty good, but it would be even better if it was 1080p with some AA and 16xAF; currently, I don't think its IQ can really be called "clean". Even if SSB doesn't do as much in terms of lighting and geometry as MK I think the benefits of higher IQ with that artstyle may pay dividends (assuming it improves between this showing and launch, which it probably will). It'd be good to see a non-jpg version of that 1080 shot, as it seems like artifacting is exacerbating the aliasing.

ugoo18

I would say it's because they are all using the same engine in the same way. If that's true I would say it's Unity.

I doubt that, Doesn't Nintendo have it's own internal engine (Engines?) that most if not all it's studios use or at least a variant of it?

Heyt

Banned
I doubt that, Doesn't Nintendo have it's own internal engine (Engines?) that most if not all it's studios use or at least a variant of it?

Yes they did, but I think they may have shifted to Unity since they have a deal with them and it could save resources, specially considering Nintendo is not having a smooth transition to HD game production.

I can prove nothing though, It's just my guts telling me after seeing how games that shouldn't look similar use tech that makes them so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom