• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

1 set of comparisons.
Wii U image is more crisp, but as you see on the ground, that rug has a lower resolution.
tcVUlCq.jpg

PS3 and Wii U versions seem to be most similar, but as you can see, the image is pretty blurry in comparison.
WWKXP7f.jpg

Not sure why the resolution of the 360 looks so odd.
OJR9JTm.jpg

Texture differences might just be lack of AF on Wii U. There are probably rendering resolution diffrences between the three too.

Argyle

Both dead within a week? The only way I can see that happening is if you used them as a frizzby or football in their downtime.

Nintendo hardware has the lowest failure rate.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study-6216691
http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2012

They also boast the most endurance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVRJtqPRZhQ

Nintendo does not use "cheap" parts. People confuse lower power with cheap. The parts they use are high quality. Making things low cost and "pinching penneis" are two different thing. They do not cut corners on product quality(NOA excluded in a few circumstances). That is more than likely where most of their costs come from. Like the ridiculously smooth/round discs of the Wii U.

If it wasn't user error, then you must have had the worst luck on the planet Earth to get a new Wii and 3DS that failed within a week of purchase.

That's unconventional; Nintendo things can bite the dust just like anything else, and they do; but it's unlikely to be plagued like that. Bad luck on your account.

Your bad experience is counter to the average though. Most people with their systems experience little to no problems and there is definitely an acknowledgement of their systems being built to last. Pinching pennies on a mutli-voltage PS is completely different than pinching pennies where it effects how long something will last. They pinch pennies on not having an ethernet port, or supporting DD or DTS, not in the quality of the product. They're completely separate issues on pinching pennies on one thing is not a guarantee or a logical measure to assume such actions on the other.

Since some of you are convinced that I clearly must have abused the hell out of my systems for them to die within a week, here is what happened to my Wii:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/11/20/wiiconnect-24-update-breaking-systems
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/20/wii-being-hit-by-fatal-error-110213-could-be-funky-firmware/

Since this didn't break every single console it must have been some kind of hardware defect combined with the software update that basically bricked the wifi card on the system. Fortunately it was launch day so all I lost was a little bit of progress as my save games could not be moved to the new system.

As for the 3DS, I charged it up, played it for 15 minutes, closed the lid, and when I opened it an hour later it didn't wake up...it was totally dead at that point. No idea what I could have done differently there.

The usage you describe is not common for the majority of their handheld customers. Most people don't really need an adapter like that. And if there's one thing I'll agree with you (and others) on, is that when it comes to Nintendo being frugal/cheap... it's almost always in situations where the majority of its customers wouldn't make use of a feature even though that feature, in itself, is useful (or Nintendo thinking that such a feature would only be applicable to a small group of the market).

That being said, it's really unlike Nintendo to actually make and provide a cheap power brick. Like their philosophy or not, they do put their money where their mouth is and I've never questioned them having the courage in their convictions. They do spend money, even though many people question their priorities. Their history as a hardware manufacturer/build quality + customer service is pretty solid.

Funny, all of the other handhelds provide a dual voltage power supply! Pretty much all the cellphones and tablets I have seen come with dual voltage power supplies, not to mention pretty much 100% of all laptops (because you know, travelling). I have bought some very cheap generic USB chargers and they have all been dual voltage. Seriously, Nintendo is the outlier here - people are genuinely surprised when they fry their AC adapter in another country.

I guess this is like folks saying "the eShop policies are fine, I'm ok with having to fill out a police report if I lose my 3DS. It doesn't affect me"

Wii never had any real problem with DL DVD's on a hardware level, the problem was the fact that the lens were coming out of the factory dirty. That didn't matter much for Single Layer DVD's which were the main diet, but proved to be a problem with the release of Super Smash Bros.

The solution? The official cleaning kit.

Wii's DVD drive was actually custom built for it, seeing no slot-in drive supports Gamecube mini-DVD's, so Nintendo went to some lengths, and the lens are not bad at all. Failure rate is nowhere near that of some PSone and PS2 models; Sega consoles could also get a mention, or early PS3's.Not really, no.

the JP version was Single Layer, they made it dual layer just so they could have the english dub alongside the japanese one.

If NOA wanted it on a single layer DVD they could; they just had to axe the JP build.

They were being wussies because they're wussies.

The DVD drive in the Wii is actually a really expensive one, as slot loading drives that support discs the size of a normal DVD and ones the size of a GC disc are more expensive than regular slot loaders. The issue with DL discs wasn't an across the board problem, and no they didn't stop releasing DL games. Plus considering the only market that Xenoblade was delayed in, or saw them reluctant to release it in was NA. It had nothing to do with DL discs and had all to do with sales potential.

All I know is that I heard on very good authority that a very big third-party release that used FMV extensively and was planning to ship on a dual layer disc around the time the Brawl fiasco was unfolding failed certification because Nintendo was refusing to release anything on a DL disc. They were forced to recompress the hell out of everything in order to fit on a single layer disc in order to ship - so my understanding was that DL discs were not allowed. Clearly they changed course on it, but it was kind of surprising - DVD was very much a mature technology at that point (it was nearly 10 years old when the Wii was released) so it seemed to me like they would have had to go out of their way to get drives that would have trouble reading DL discs.

If it turned out that it was just a bunch of dirty lenses - that's great! But you can understand why I thought what I did :) And again, maybe it's not something that inspires confidence about the quality of the components...

Mr_B_Fett

I doubt there was just a straight up Radeon card in the dev kits. Have you seen how small the case is? Not much larger than the Wii U itself. I'd imagine there was some type of prototype Wii U chipset in there. The GPU has a 2010 stamp on it, although I'm sure testing and optimization continued for quite some time. The idea of "cramming" a Radeon card into that small case was a rationalization made by us forum members who were holding out for more hardware beef.

Yes I have seen one in the wild :) I was told this (sadly not shown inside the black box) in 2011 by a friend still in the industry who I pestered for info. Or rather I was told something along the lines of its an underclocked 48xx. I have no reason to doubt them but it is of course completely unverifiable. Note that this does not mean that it was an off the shelf card. Just that it was a discrete entity and not part of an MCM.

Since some of you are convinced that I clearly must have abused the hell out of my systems for them to die within a week, here is what happened to my Wii:

I said nothing of the sort. I said your experience was not the norm. Does shit happen, ofcourse it does, to every system. That said how ever Nintendo has always had the lowest failure rating in the industry, and they put out hardware that is meant to last. Again no multi-voltage charger is different from a shit PS that could burn itself or the system out. It's also different than the specially ordered DVD drives coming out of the factory with a little dirty lens, which shouldn't have happened though it did.

Funny, all of the other handhelds provide a dual voltage power supply! Pretty much all the cellphones and tablets I have seen come with dual voltage power supplies, not to mention pretty much 100% of all laptops (because you know, travelling). I have bought some very cheap generic USB chargers and they have all been dual voltage. Seriously, Nintendo is the outlier here - people are genuinely surprised when they fry their AC adapter in another country.

I guess this is like folks saying "the eShop policies are fine, I'm ok with having to fill out a police report if I lose my 3DS. It doesn't affect me"

No it's not the same as saying that. Can you really not grasp the difference between something that effects the longevity of a system, and something that is done for convenience? They are two separate issues and one does not dictate the likely outcome of the other.

krizzx

If product A is used twice as much as product B, everything else being equal, product A will have a higher failure rate. Just filling in the picture a bit, that is all.

If they were mathematically correlateble that would be true, but the failure rate of the PS3 to the Wii was 5 to 1 overall and 10 to 1 for the 360 both do there constant revisions that stabilized around the release of the slim(but is yet still higher than the Wii). The slim releases lowered the numbers. Getting supposedly twice as much overall playtime yet failing over 5 times as much is still telling of poor product quality.

In this instance the only purpose those uncorrelated times serve is as an attempt to kick dirt at something that levied heavily favorable toward Nintendo, or to find something negative to place in the line of sight. It contributes nothing else. You don't even have links to official sources to back it up in which case it still wouldn't tell what you are trying to make tell. This is a misappropriation of statistics, that aren't backed once again, to mean something they don't show.

Phazon

I remember this picture. It completely blew my mind as a kid.

N/o, but that pic looks like shit. That's not the Mario-game I want to see, ever. (I know you're all just laughing with he picture)

Also, thanks BG, Fourth Storm etc. for a couple of your new takes and thoughts about the Wii U hw :)

prag16

Banned
This was a long time ago at this point, and maybe it was fully validated and explained beyond any possible doubt many times, but are we 100% cock sure on those reported clock speeds? Didn't Marcan glean those while the system was running in Wii mode (I remember he had to hack around a bit to even unlock the other two CPU cores in that mode or something?)?

Did anyone ever corroborate this independently, or was marcan the only one? Again, sorry if this was 100% irrefutably explained before, but I've been in and out on this thread from way back and haven't seen 100% of the content.

Hate to quote myself, but wanted to make sure some of the more tech savvy guys that had been here throughout (the most likely to have an answer) see it.

QaaQer

If they were mathematically correlateble that would be true, but the failure rate of the PS3 to the Wii was 5 to 1 overall and 10 to 1 for the 360 both do there constant revisions that stabilized around the release of the slim(but is yet still higher than the Wii). The slim releases lowered the numbers. Getting supposedly twice as much overall playtime yet failing over 5 times as much is still telling of poor product quality.

In this instance the only purpose those uncorrelated times serve is as an attempt to kick dirt at something that levied heavily favorable toward Nintendo, or to find something negative to place in the line of sight. It contributes nothing else. You don't even have links to official sources to back it up in which case it still wouldn't tell what you are trying to make tell. This is a misappropriation of statistics, that aren't backed once again, to mean something they don't show.

The persecution neurosis of Nintendo fans is bizzare sometimes.

Some of the other reasons for increased failure rates in addition to the fact that the wii, on average, was used less than half as much by users at the time of the study:

• MS' rush to market for this particular product meant lack of QC in first iteration which was fixed, something about lead free soldier + inappropriate heat-sink bracket or something.
  • PS3 + 360 were cutting edge and very powerful machines = more heat, more points of failure, bust also customers got a lot of hardware bang for their buck
  • the wii being very low power, low heat
  • users not providing adequate ventilation, which affects powerful heat generating consoles more than consoles that are not

Using wii/ps3/360 failure rates in the years 2007-2008 even with taking the above into account, and making broad generalizations about Ninteendo/MS/Sony quality in totality is (I'm gonna say it) dumb.

I'm sorry if that offends, but dems the facts.

As to the quote I included in the previous post, it was from the article you linked. I guess I just assumed you had read it and knew that.

Edit: and maybe Nintendo is a paragon of quality and Sony and MS shit pedlars, I have no clue. But linking some SquareTrade stats from 07-08 isn't proof of anything except cutting edge hardware has more problems than old tech.

MDX

Some of the other reasons for increased failure rates in addition to the fact that the wii, on average, was used less than half as much by users at the time of the study:

• MS' rush to market for this particular product meant lack of QC in first iteration which was fixed, something about lead free soldier + inappropriate heat-sink bracket or something.
  • PS3 + 360 were cutting edge and very powerful machines = more heat, more points of failure, bust also customers got a lot of hardware bang for their buck
  • users not providing adequate ventilation, which affects powerful heat generating consoles more than consoles that are not

Using wii/ps3/360 failure rates from three specific products in the years 2007-2008 even with taking the above into account and making broad generalizations about Ninteendo/MS/Sony quality in totality is (I'm gonna say it) dumb.

However there were hardware issues with the OG XBOX and PS2 as well.

Why are we talking about failure rates? Higher power requirements always increase failure rates. Were PS3 and 360 failures acceptable? No.

But hell. I've had friends need to replace their Wii's more than I had to for my 1 PS3 that went bad.

Shit happens. Especially for mass quantity products.

Let's just get back to the GPU discussion please.

QaaQer

Why are we talking about failure rates? Higher power requirements always increase failure rates. Were PS3 and 360 failures acceptable? No.

But hell. I've had friends need to replace their Wii's more than I had to for my 1 PS3 that went bad.

It is tangentially related, as K was arguing that Nintendo makes very high quality products because 07-08 squaretrade warranty survey proves that, which means high efficiency power supply in wii u, which means better latte gpu, or something like that.

krizzx

Using wii/ps3/360 failure rates in the years 2007-2008 even with taking the above into account, and making broad generalizations about Ninteendo/MS/Sony quality in totality is (I'm gonna say it) dumb.

I'm sorry if that offends, but dems the facts.

As to the quote I included in the previous post, it was from the article you linked. I guess I just assumed you had read it and knew that.

Edit: and maybe Nintendo is a paragon of quality and Sony and MS shit pedlars, I have no clue. But linking some SquareTrade stats from 07-08 isn't proof of anything except cutting edge hardware has more problems than old tech.

Its not as bad the way anyone who calls out a uncredible post regarding Nintendo gets accused of things like "persecution neurosis" and having a victim mentality. The thing is that a lot of people do what you did and they almost always do it in the same way, ie moving the goal post, trying to make an issue of a non-issue, or in this case redirecting the issue/misdirection to tweak the argument in a way the person finds more favorable.

I posted facts, backed with links to directly correlated to a post that said that Nintendo pinches pennies on quality which the links I post clearly show otherwise.

Your post, which had no links or anything directly correlating it with what was being discussed, was posted with no other discernible purpose than to kick dirt for reasons that most people can easily glean.

There is nothing else to it.

The failure rate I posted was covering 2006-2012 not just 2007-2008. Otherwise it wouldn't have included the slims...

It is tangentially related, as K was arguing that Nintendo makes very high quality products because 07-08 squaretrade warranty survey proves that, which means high efficiency power supply in wii u, which means better latte gpu, or something like that.

I missed that.

And that's a silly argument.

07-08 numbers?

What about all the Wii's that started to fail in 2009-11 because of their disc drives?

Also, like I said. Lower power means less problems. Nintendo has always made no a no frills console.

I mean.. hell... look at all their consoles and handhelds, then look at 3DS and Wii.

The failure rates and hardware repair rates are a lot higher than any other of their devices simply because these products are starting to do more and more. You start getting drive errors, errors within the OS/firmware, hinges on your handheld breaking, screens getting scratched... etc. No console manufacturer is prone to these things.

QaaQer

Its not as bad the way anyone who calls out a uncredible post regarding Nintendo gets accused of things like "persecution neurosis" and having a victim mentality. The thing is that a lot of people do what you did and they almost always do it in the same way, ie moving the goal post, trying to make an issue of a non-issue, or in this case redirecting the issue/misdirection to tweak the argument in a way the person finds more favorable.

I posted facts, backed with links to directly correlated to a post that said that Nintendo pinches pennies on quality which the links I post clearly show otherwise.

Your post, which had no links or anything directly correlating it with what was being discussed, was posted with no other discernible purpose than to kick dirt for reasons that most people can easily glean.

There is nothing else to it.

The failure rate I posted was covering 2006-2012 not just 2007-2008. Otherwise it wouldn't have included the slims...

i humbly apologize for 'kicking dirt' in the honorable Mr Nintendo's face then.

PS I only looked at the Squaretrade numbers because I don't know and don't care to know what "no fuss review scores" is or where they get their numbers.

QaaQer

I missed that.

And that's a silly argument.

07-08 numbers?

What about all the Wii's that started to fail in 2009-11 because of their disc drives?

Also, like I said. Lower power means less problems. Nintendo has always made no a no frills console.

I mean.. hell... look at all their consoles and handhelds, then look at 3DS and Wii.

The failure rates and hardware repair rates are a lot higher than any other of their devices simply because these products are starting to do more and more. You start getting drive errors, errors within the OS/firmware, hinges on your handheld breaking, screens getting scratched... etc. No console manufacturer is prone to these things.

Agree totally. I should also like to mention that none of these companies actually manufactures these things. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of the upcoming consoles come from the same Foxconn work camp.

Agree totally. I should also like to mention that none of these companies actually manufactures these things. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of the upcoming consoles come from the same Foxconn work camp.

I don't know if it's an EU thing, but the consoles have to use lead free soldering, which doesn't hold up as well during heating/cooling. It's a shame really.

QaaQer

I don't know if it's an EU thing, but the consoles have to use lead free soldering, which doesn't hold up as well during heating/cooling. It's a shame really.

I think the ban was really necessary because products weren't being treated properly by the recyclers. I remember seeing some horrific pictures of whole towns poisoned because the #1 industry was electronics recycling (mainland China). You had kids picking components off boards, everywhere were mountains of e-waste, and poisoned groundwater, really sad and depressing.

I will admit to having a stash of lead based soldier though for personal hobby use, cuz yeah, the lead free stuff is much harder to work with.

I think the ban was really necessary because products weren't being treated properly by the recyclers. I remember seeing some horrific pictures of whole towns poisoned because the #1 industry was electronics recycling (mainland China). You had kids picking components off boards, everywhere were mountains of e-waste, and poisoned groundwater, really sad and depressing.

I will admit to having a stash of lead based soldier though for personal hobby use, cuz yeah, the lead free stuff is much harder to work with.

That sucks. Maybe we can find an alternative that works better some day that isn't as harmful.

krizzx

i humbly apologize for 'kicking dirt' in the honorable Mr Nintendo's face then.

PS I only looked at the Squaretrade numbers because I don't know and don't care to know what "no fuss review scores" is or where they get their numbers.

That is Mr. Postslinks, Mr. Logic, or Mr. SEGA.

I have no particular love for Nintendo as I am a PC gamer. I do think Nintendo is a better game developer and hardware maker than Sony, but that's is in its on analytical context.

Sorry for calling out your attempt at making a non sequitur argument and use of false equivalence.

The hostility needs to stop from all people. It's annoying.
Yup.

Hostility is futile and doesn't help anyone when it comes to expressing opinions and hypothesis, which is what everyone that actually participates here aims to.

You guys doing that, are being counter-productive for yourselves. I'm sure I also was somewhat hostile in some situations before, because it's like water-rock erosion: water may be soft, but if it goes through rock too many times it'll leave a trail; and that gets to your nerves; with reason or not is not the issue, since you've gone ballistic. (not saying anyone is right in spite of the other, it's normal to be passionate about shit you lost hours making an hypothesis about)

But, unless you're answering it while drawing the line and never really make it personal you're better giving it a time-out.

Yup.

Hostility is futile and doesn't help anyone when it comes to expressing opinions and hypothesis, which is what everyone that actually participates here aims to.

You guys doing that, are being counter-productive for yourselves. I'm sure I also was somewhat hostile in some situations before, because it's like erosion, water may be soft, but if it goes through rock too many times it'll leave a trail; and like that you're all achieving your limits of bearability.

But it's better so go out of the thread and see a movie or play for a while than going at it hot headed.

Yes. I myself need that reminder. I get soooo hotheaded at times.

Anyway... if we want to discuss failure rates, let's do it in an objective and cordial manner.

krizzx

Untalkative bunny you mean sorry for "initiating" not contributing. Stop trying to play innocent after the fact.

One thing that all of the regular poster who come here to analyze absolutely despise is when people come here to make claims while providing not a single link, known quote or verifiable/credible reference to back it up, and then get mad when the credibility of what they say is called into question.

There is no hostility on my part. I asked you to support your claim and explain how it related to my post, and you instead responded with hostility and still no links. That is not how a discussion or analysis works. When you make an unfounded claim you provide substantial material to back it up.

Or is it hostile to ask someone to explain themselves when their point it not clear?

If you have nothing else to add then i will get back to what the topic was before it was skewed.

Is there an easy way to test the efficiency of the wii u power supply?

If we can max it out... put full load on it... it should draw more than 75w (which is what it's rated).

Then you take the PSU power rating divided by the power draw from the wall, then you should get your efficiency as a percentage.

For example.

If it pulled 100w from the wall. You'd go:
75/100 = 75% power efficiency

Or 93w from the wall:
75/93 = ~80% power efficient

The big problem is... how would we put that much load on the PSU in the first place? Lol.

Untalkative bunny you mean sorry for "initiating" not contributing. Stop trying to play innocent after the fact.

Chill out.

krizzx

If we can max it out... put full load on it... it should draw more than 75w (which is what it's rated).

Then you take the PSU power rating divided by the power draw from the wall, then you should get your efficiency as a percentage.

For example.

Or 93w from the wall:

The big problem is... how would we put that much load on the PSU in the first place? Lol.

Chill out.

Huh??? I am chill. I'm just calling out his actions.

All I did was ask him to verify what he said and pointed out the flaws in his argument just the same as when you called my statement about multiple Project Cars logs being posted , and I quote, "bullshit" only to later be proved wrong. How is that hostile?

This is a logical discussion. If you don't like what you say being called into question then you are going to have a difficult time here. I am not supposed to take any and everything you say at face value without questioning it.

fred

Agreed. And the 360 situation was even worse - I know several people that have gone through 3 or 4 consoles which is just plain ridiculous. The Wii was the first Nintendo console I ever bought and since then I've bought both a 3DS and Wii U and am not worried at all about them dying on me, even 10 years later, given Nintendo's reputation. I'm more worried about my PS4 when I get it next year, but then I'm letting millions of people being Beta Testers for me lol

Since some of you are convinced that I clearly must have abused the hell out of my systems for them to die within a week
I don't believe that.

Even if you did abuse them, they're supposed to last longer than a measly week. Shit happens and it happened to you twice.

It's just not the norm.
Funny, all of the other handhelds provide a dual voltage power supply! (...) Seriously, Nintendo is the outlier here - people are genuinely surprised when they fry their AC adapter in another country.
I agree they're petty, but for me that's part of their region lock mindset fiasco.

It has to change as a whole, no doubt, but they clearly think if it is a UK 3DS it shouldn't be functioning in US, it's no more about the pennies than it is about stupid policies.
All I know is that I heard on very good authority that a very big third-party release that used FMV extensively and was planning to ship on a dual layer disc around the time the Brawl fiasco was unfolding failed certification because Nintendo was refusing to release anything on a DL disc. They were forced to recompress the hell out of everything in order to fit on a single layer disc in order to ship - so my understanding was that DL discs were not allowed. Clearly they changed course on it, but it was kind of surprising - DVD was very much a mature technology at that point (it was nearly 10 years old when the Wii was released) so it seemed to me like they would have had to go out of their way to get drives that would have trouble reading DL discs.

If it turned out that it was just a bunch of dirty lenses - that's great! But you can understand why I thought what I did :) And again, maybe it's not something that inspires confidence about the quality of the components...
They were panicking at that point. Still you're right Nintendo must have discouraged Dual Layer discs throughout most of the Wii's lifespan.

Which game was that? If possible I like to put faces on names. :)

Regarding the issue, it's not so much about the quality of the components as it was something they overlooked and shouldn't have. Had the Wii read DVD video they would have discovered that day one; so yeah it's hard to understand, but they really took a while because they were avoiding DL's due to cost and the fact Nintendo is really space conscious, even on the Wii U, Pikmin 3 takes 3.9 GB, at this point they only went with something bigger to satisfy third parties.

krizzx

Agreed. And the 360 situation was even worse - I know several people that have gone through 3 or 4 consoles which is just plain ridiculous. The Wii was the first Nintendo console I ever bought and since then I've bought both a 3DS and Wii U and am not worried at all about them dying on me, even 10 years later, given Nintendo's reputation. I'm more worried about my PS4 when I get it next year, but then I'm letting millions of people being Beta Testers for me lol

I'm a witness to that. I have two 360's. Both Red Ringed. I'm not buying another one.

My PS3 freezes a lot, and has corrupt data on the hard drive that formats will not fix, but no major issues have happened aside from that to my knowledge.

The Wii I bought(preowned) had apparently been damaged and the DVD drive stopped spinning, but I replace it myself and haven't had a single problem since, and I was a person who played his Wii a LOT contrary to the statistics.

I did encounter a common problem with my DS. The L button stopped working and one day. Also while I was out around with my DS in my pocket the video on my top screen stopped working. That was after after few years of extensive use though.

My 3DS has had no problem whatsoever.

QaaQer

For example.

Or 93w from the wall:

Any suggestions? I'm willing to risk my wii u power supply for science (lol) & have some basic electronics gear + experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom