• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare now available in Japan.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
donkey show said:
I was never a huge Dr. Mario fan, but the Virus Buster version really got me hooked. It sucks you can't play that online, at least I don't think so.

You can, I think, only with friends though.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Stormbringer said:
-Bomberman (June) [up to 8 players Wifi]

-Tetris (July) [With online battles, etc]

-Alien Crush ( August) [yes, it's a sequel. There will be online learderboards]

lolicatgirls.gif

sprsk

So apparently the Karaoke thing will be a service you pay monthly for. I'd totally be down for that.

Tathanen said:
One might posit the following: the service has games people would like to play, regardless of non-game-playing details like "omg storage limitations." What's more productive? Bitching about it? Or accepting it, operating within the limitations, and enjoying the games?

Certain GAFfers seem to be under the impression that bitching somehow makes life more livable. Do they think that maybe the problems will go AWAY if they continue to mention them?

The Wii is what the Wii is. No amount of complaining will change it. At this point, it becomes less about Nintendo's failings and its fans' loyalty and moreso about how people choose to live their lives. Do they obsess about everything in their lives that does not live up to an immaculate gold standard? Or do they try to enjoy what they have? One might easily construe it as "spin" to speak of the SD-card solution in a favorable light, but it could also just be a simple case of a person caring more about enjoying their neat games, and not really having much interest in raging against an unassailable machine.

Sometimes I don't want to be a critic. Sometimes I just want to be a gamer, and play some cool games. Maybe Nintendo's storage solution is retarded! Maybe it's inconvenient! But I paid for the machine, it has games I want, and I think it's fair to actually treat the glass as half-full rather than half-empty for once!

But hey, that's just me.
People should complain. Otherwise how will anything change? If Nintendo isn't listening now then that is their mistake.

Starchasing said:
I think Nintendo will cater to hardcores, eventually...

They already released pay to play , which will include features not included in their free nintendo wifi connection, like voice chats...

Once they have the casual grabbed by the nuts they will move on for the hardcore
What? No!

As far as we know, the red Pay to Play label was created to denote DLC and for MMOs/quasi-MMOs like Monster Hunter 3. There is no reason to assume that it was created for better stock online play features.

They don't charge extra for voice chat with DS games, they just restrict it to friends.

wsippel

Banned
sp0rsk said:
So apparently the Karaoke thing will be a service you pay monthly for. I'd totally be down for that.
I guess they'll stream the titles then? Maybe they'll even allow access to the whole Joysound library?

HOLY SHIT ALIEN CRUSH SEQUEL!!!!!!!!! OMG WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES!!!!!!!!

Freaking awesome! I played it for the first time on VC when it came out and I love it, the screenshot of the new one looks great too :D

I'm glad to see these old TG16 franchises get resurrected after seeing new life on VC, it brings a smile to my face :D Now how about a sequel to Lords of Thunder! (Played it for the first time ever on VC and I shit you not, it's one of the best games ever!)

Let's hope that there are more than 2 tables this time though, there aren't enough fantasy pinball games these days and they never have more than 2 full size pinball tables :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
haven't been keeping up with this thread, and i pop in to see that wii ware is totally awesome without my knowing. can't wait for the n.a. release.

sprsk

wsippel said:
I guess they'll stream the titles then? Maybe they'll even allow access to the whole Joysound library?

They say over 2000 songs, so sounds like a yes.

Rectification about the Wiiware Bomberman -> it seems like Hudson's site is STILL listing two different upcoming Bomberman games for the Wii : "Bomberman" (Wii), slated for June AND "8 players Wifi Bomberman" (Wiiware), also slated for June. So it seems like they will release two differents Bomberman games the same month : one that has the complete Bomberman package (story mode, online battle mode, minigames) for retail, which is the one that's been revealed a while ago, and a special edition containing only the Battle Mode, up to 8 players online, for Wiiware - using the same engine as the retail one - which is the one that has just been revealed.

later

Stormbringer said:
Rectification about the Wiiware Bomberman -> it seems like Hudson's site is STILL listing two different upcoming Bomberman games for the Wii : "Bomberman" (Wii), slated for June AND "8 players Wifi Bomberman" (Wiiware), also slated for June. So it seems like they will release two differents Bomberman games the same month : one that has the complete Bomberman package (story mode, online battle mode, minigames) for retail, which is the one that's been revealed a while ago, and a special edition containing only the Battle Mode, up to 8 players online, for Wiiware - using the same engine as the retail one - which is the one that has just been revealed.

Works for me :)

later said:
Works for me :)

Yeah I just thought about that, due to both looking exactly the same if those screens above are from the WiiWare version.

So I guess the multiplayer mode in the retail one is "ported" so to speak instead of the other way (this is so confusing it hurts).

Or since they're virtually the same game, both were developed literally side-by-side.

Both look nice graphically, which explains why the WiiWare one is multiplayer only, to conserve the memory so that the graphics remain as close to the same as possible?

And thus Hudson doesn't need to spend that much more money at all, and then in comes a shit ton more profit... if people buy both games that is.

Man, this is a double-edged sword, taking the risk that people may or may not by both versions, if they do, you get insane profit, if they by one version, then the other is a waste!

Or they did it for the simply reason of having a choice I guess.

Hero of legend said:
Or they did it for the simply reason of having a choice I guess.
Yup, that would be the one. I think everyone wins by allowing the customer to choose the versions that suits him best, even Hudson. And some people will probably end up buying both versions for the same Wii, for convenience purpose, but I think that would be probably be just a bonus for Hudson, and that they aren't basing their entire plan on the possibility that most customers will do the same.

Stormbringer said:

Ahh, cool beans. I'll get the Wii Ware one since single player Bomberman sucks anyway. Would be cool if both the retail and the Wii Ware ones could play online together :D

Oh and I would love to see Geometry Wars Galaxies get ported onto Wii Ware (Have it exactly the same as the retail game, but just in download form, Nintendo obviously have no qualms about it if Hudson are doing it for Bomberman!)

sp0rsk said:
They say over 2000 songs, so sounds like a yes.

Any details on pricing? Also are there any other details about Tetris, Alien Crush and the other Hudson Wii Ware games?

Neomoto

Pretty nice WiiWare announcements from Hudson. :) WiiWare's line-up is starting to get really interesting. And that without any Nintendo developed title. Hopefully we'll see some more high profile (but shorter) games, like FF:CC My Life as a King from Nintendo and 3rd party's.

For all those interested in the Tetris game for WiiWare, I recommend instead you consider buying Tetris DS if you have a DS. It's much, much better.

Can we play

4 local

vs

4 online

on wiiware Bomberman???

I hope we see this more often. You want the whole game? Buy retail? interested in only one part? Buy it in wiiware

I only care for multiplayer bomberman so im happy

GamerSoul

jj984jj said:
:O

FF:CC sounds awesome, I'm definitely at least downloading the full game. I doubt I'll buy extra races and costumes and I hope it has a variety of dungeons/houses without DLC. :\
Extra races? any new ones?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
TheGrayGhost said:
For all those interested in the Tetris game for WiiWare, I recommend instead you consider buying Tetris DS if you have a DS. It's much, much better.

Tetris DS IS great, and this WiiWare version DOES look a little gimpy, but are you basing this on anything other than the screens released? As far as I know, no one's played this WiiWare one, or even seen it in motion. Is it a port of an already existing version or something? The double-wide co-op at least looks like it could be pretty neat.

TheGrayGhost said:

Already have it. But, if it's cheap enough, I could get into playing it on a bigger TV from my couch. Especially if there's multiplayer.

botticus

TheGrayGhost said:
But Tetris DS costs $50 (at least that's what I sold mine for). The WiiWare game will probably cost $10.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Any details on pricing? Also are there any other details about Tetris, Alien Crush and the other Hudson Wii Ware games?

-Bomberman : battle mode, new items, Miis, up to 8 players online.

-Alien Crush : playable up to 5 people online, online rankings.

-Tetris : new rules, new items, playable up to 6 people online

-Blue Oasis : Works like a virtual aquarium, links with the weather channel

-Joysound : The retail packaging (handled by Hudson) will include a USB microphone, while the music distribution side (handled by Xing) will be downloadable from Wiiware. The service will be charged monthly. After the start of the service, 1000 songs will be added each month. They also plan to introduce a social networking service called "Uta Suki", allowing online communication, ranking, and cooperation. Seems like there is no pricing yet.

By the way, Hudson apparently plan to introduce 1 game per month on Wiiware, starting now (until...?). That's some pretty impressive support...

alex1893

Stormbringer said:
-Bomberman (June) [up to 8 players Wifi]

-Tetris (July) [With online battles, etc]

-Alien Crush ( August) [yes, it's a sequel. There will be online learderboards]

holy shit :eek:

damn Nintendo, please release a fridge extension!

u6436.jpg

:p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
sp0rsk said:
And the thing is, no one wants all that story mode mini game bullshit.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this very line. A tenner (or less) for the one part of Bomberman that anyone actually likes? Hell yes.

I wonder what else people have lined up for WiiWare? Hudson have already done a decent round of games for the next few months on the service. Hopefully Konami and Capcom follow suit.

I'd so kill for an Axelay sequel on WiiWare.

Stitch

Gold Member
TheGrayGhost said:
For all those interested in the Tetris game for WiiWare, I recommend instead you consider buying Tetris DS if you have a DS.

yeah, playing against cheaters over wi-fi is awesome...

Vinci

Danish
Stormbringer said:
-Bomberman : battle mode, new items, Miis, up to 8 players online.

-Alien Crush : playable up to 5 people online, online rankings.

-Tetris : new rules, new items, playable up to 6 people online

-Blue Oasis : Works like a virtual aquarium, links with the weather channel

-Joysound : The retail packaging (handled by Hudson) will include a USB microphone, while the music distribution side (handled by Xing) will be downloadable from Wiiware. The service will be charged monthly. After the start of the service, 1000 songs will be added each month. They also plan to introduce a social networking service called "Uta Suki", allowing online communication, ranking, and cooperation.

By the way, Hudson apparently plan to introduce 1 game per month on Wiiware. That's some pretty impressive support...

Why is Hudson suddenly kicking so many stupid levels of ass?!
Jesus. Nintendo doesn't have to do a damn thing with WiiWare at this point.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
studio810 said:
It will probably be like Metroid Prime: Pinball and be score based. Still fun though.

Hm, a score attack mode where you could send ghost data to friend would be awesome. Kind of like that free Dreamcast game, Swirl (i think), that let you make moves and then email them to a person's computer or dreamcast.

Hudson so far is hitting all the right notes with their WiiWare stuff. At 1 game per month, I wonder how long it'd take to get a new Bonk or Air Zonk.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinci said:
Why is Hudson suddenly kicking so many stupid levels of ass?!
Jesus. Nintendo doesn't have to do a damn thing with WiiWare at this point.

Hudson has always kicked so many stupid levels of ass.

They're very much like a mini-Nintendo. They are totally awesome, but they simultaneously manage to make a sufficient number of stupid decisions that people end up forgetting they're awesome.

While you're enjoying Hudson, go back and pick up Kororinpa for the Wii. You won't regret it!

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
Hudson has always kicked so many stupid levels of ass.

They're very much like a mini-Nintendo. They are totally awesome, but they simultaneously manage to make a sufficient number of stupid decisions that people end up forgetting they're awesome.

While you're enjoying Hudson, go back and pick up Kororinpa for the Wii. You won't regret it!

I just might do that; and yeah, I think the major issue with me giving Hudson the credit they deserve is some of the things I hear regarding their decisions, so you're probably spot-on with that as well.

Whatever they're doing, it's badass. They've an awesome lineup for this thing.

dkeane

Question for Japan players - to play people online in these small games do you need to exchange separate friend codes?

So far the codes haven't pissed me off because there's only 4 games I have that can go online, but a lot of the WiiWare seems online multiplayer based. I really don't want to swap codes for every little game.

Top Bottom