• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Arms |OT| - Now available on PS4/PS5

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wild Arms for the PSX. Released in Japan December 1997, NA in April 1997, EU in October 1998.
Developer:
Media.Vision
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

aCECrSt.jpg

Now available on the PS4/PS5 via PS+ Premium Classics Collection. However, it's free to download if you bought it on PS3/PSP.

I actually don't know much about this game. I played it back in the day but didn't get far. The few hours I spent with it as a kid always stuck with me though because the game is simply awesome. It contains your classic turn-based battles but also incorporates 'tools' which allow you to solve puzzles while exploring dungeons. Many of these puzzles are similar to elements of 'A Link to the Past' and other Adventure games from the 16-bit era; activating switches, bombing walls, etc.

It's got an awesome Ennio Morricone/Sergio Leone inspired OST. (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

It also has a fantastic Anime intro.

Some gameplay footage. (probably captured on an emulator cause there's slowdown. It doesn't do that on PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5)

How Long To Beat? 29-43 hours.

So yea, just a barebones OT. Mostly just wanted to remind people that this game is playable on modern devices. It's a great game if you love old-school JRPGs and are looking for something to play.

I also want to add, lots of people dump on the battle graphics but I dunno, I always thought they looked cool. I love the chibi designs. This game always struck me as the ultimate 16-bit style RPG. It feels and plays so much like the classics we loved on the SNES but then it goes and shows what can be done with more powerful hardware. Not the most impressive looking game from that era but I think it's aged wonderfully.

I know there's gotta be some Wild Arms fanboys on here, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with the game.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
So the original developers still exist but they are mostly a support company now? (i.e. don't make their own games)

Yea, I actually linked to their Wikipedia but you can't really tell cause of the font color.

They've worked on some Valkyria Chronicles games. Had no idea.

Pallas

Gold Member
Not a bad game, but it was mostly overshadowed by FFVII, it was one of the first JRPG’s to use 3D polygons iirc. Well 3D during battles, otherwise 16 bit overworld.

There’s a pretty good remake called Wild Arms Alter Code F that got a release on the PS2.

8Hb0Hsi.jpg

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Didn't expect this OT xD they should add Wild Arms 5 though the battle system on that one is super fun.

agreed. Wild Arms 5 is a great game, especially the battle system. I believe XSeed published the game though in the West(2 years after release in Japan) and after the PS3/360 gen had already started, and obviously it didn't sell much.

agreed. Wild Arms 5 is a great game, especially the battle system. I believe XSeed published the game though in the West(2 years after release in Japan) and after the PS3/360 gen had already started, and obviously it didn't sell much.

I couldn't get into Wild Arms 5. The setting and cast were boring as hell. They did improve the battle system over 4 but also, 4 is way more entertaining in every other way

Wild Arms is win though. I have an import US copy of Alter Code F right here. It's a shame Media Vision basically doesn't exist anymore. They made some bad mobile JRPGs and then disappeared into the ether

Pallas

Gold Member
For anyone curious who likes the Wild Arms OST. A lot of the series music was done by Michiko Naruke.

Y6GEWU4.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I forgot to mention that Wild Arms has a lot of really cool options for customization.

You replace icons with a drawing of your choice, same thing for the menu background/border. It has a screensaver setting. Multiple camera options for battles. It has an auto-battle type system with different battle styles. You can also completely change the controls.

Neat features. I'll never use most of them but cool to have the option.

Shifty1897

Not a bad game, but it was mostly overshadowed by FFVII, it was one of the first JRPG’s to use 3D polygons iirc. Well 3D during battles, otherwise 16 bit overworld.

There’s a pretty good remake called Wild Arms Alter Code F that got a release on the PS2.

8Hb0Hsi.jpg
I have to disagree with you there, Alter Code F replaced all the charming 2D sprites and animation outside of battle with stiff, clunky 3D models. The game is much, much slower because of that change. But yes the battle graphics are better and they added 3 new party members.

Speaking of the PS1 Wild ARMs though, it's a classic. One of the best JRPG's of the pre-FF7 era, I fondly remember renting it on the weekends with my friend and us taking turns playing through the story and solving puzzles together.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

8Hb0Hsi.jpg

The fact PAL never got a version of this pissed me off no end at the time alongside Mana Khemia 2.

I am thankful that these days this sort of NSTC/PAL divide no longer happens... although it did pay off for us in the Wii era with Xenoblade, Last Story etc.

Would love to give the remaster a go some day.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like the game, but the combat animations are sooooooooooo slow. Really drags the game down.
Yea, it's not offensively slow but it's not exactly lightning quick either, lol.

It might just be in my head but I think the quarter-view camera option speeds it up. Makes it so the camera doesn't move during battles.

Concerning slow battles though, 'Albert Odyssey: The Legend of Eldean' is probably the worst. It's soooooooooo bad.

I got it cued up.

The Victor Ireland notes in the instruction booklet say that the Working Designs team actually improved the loading time compared to the Japanese release and also increased XP so you wouldn't have to grind as much. I can't even imagine how bad it is in the Japan version, lmao. Awesome game though, even with the loading issue.

Last edited:

saintjules

8Hb0Hsi.jpg

This was basically the RPG to play on the PlayStation before FFVII came out. I loved it. I actually lost a relationship due to this game as I ended up paying more attention to it than the girl. And I got to tell you after all these years, I still really miss this game.

I vividly remember the day I got the original game. It was back in August 1997 when I was looking for FFVII. I didn't have a computer at the time and wasn't up to date with my video game magazines. I went to a local store and they said FF wasn't going to be out until September.

I went to Toys R Us looking around and saw Wild Arms. At the time they had those yellow cards meaning they had the game in stock. Went to the employee in the game booth and gave the card and bought the game.

As you said, it was overshadowed quickly once FFVII hit the market, but it's one of my top 10 JRPGs ever. It's rare when a JRPG gets the music, battle system and story all done right.

Sadly, the franchise for me got worse as they progressed through the series. Same thing happened to Suikoden. Breath of Fire. Grandia.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Wild Arms games were awesome.

1 is a classic, 2 and 3 are great too. The overall plot or theme of 3 on PS2 is similar to 1. 4 is too linear and sucks for it. 5 is great, the battle system is good. The whole game is a traditional JRPG throwback.

This game, Wild Arms 1 is completely broken from near the beginning if you want to cheese your way through it when you have 3 characters.

You enter a battle, have your first characters use healing items on themselves, use the last character to move the healing item in the menu with an item you want to copy, If you only have 1 of the item, you back out to defend on the turn. It uses the healing items in the round but drops the total items on the second item in the slot that you are cloning from 1 to 0, then 0 to 255. Do it to the stat boosting items or bullet clips, rare duplicators, etc. Rare items that make you overpowered.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love Wild Arms. One of my all time favorites. There have been so many RPGs I’ve loved over the years, but to me nothing can ever resonate with my like the classics did. 2 is really good as well. I loved how they implemented some simple puzzle mechanics into it. I remember going into my local game store back in the day and seeing the guy playing it behind the counter and him telling me about it and I bought a copy on the spot, went home and loved it. I own all the others in the series, but I haven’t been able to finish one after 2. I might go back and try one day.

Shifty1897

Yea, it's not offensively slow but it's not exactly lightning quick either, lol.

It might just be in my head but I think the quarter-view camera option speeds it up. Makes it so the camera doesn't move during battles.

Concerning slow battles though, 'Albert Odyssey: The Legend of Eldean' is probably the worst. It's soooooooooo bad.

I got it cued up.

The Victor Ireland notes in the instruction booklet say that the Working Designs team actually improved the loading time compared to the Japanese release and also increased XP so you wouldn't have to grind as much. I can't even imagine how bad it is in the Japan version, lmao. Awesome game though, even with the loading issue.

This is the game that desperately made me want a Saturn as a kid. I can still hear the overworld theme.

PhaseJump

Banned
Albert Odyssey got all the attention from RPG fans looking at Saturn. It was a slog though.

Shining the Holy Ark got no attention, yet it was one of the best JRPGs on the platform, arguably up there with Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grandia. Better than a ton of the PS1 classics people bring up. It's like "Golden Sun" with a first person dungeon crawling point of view. The music was great too.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Wild Arms 1 and 2 were good. I didn't care for the rest, though. I wanted to like Alter Code F, but they fucked up the OST too much for me to play through it.
The first game is pretty special. Kept me busy while waiting on FFVII to release.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Albert Odyssey got all the attention from RPG fans looking at Saturn. It was a slog though.

Shining the Holy Ark got no attention, yet it was one of the best JRPGs on the platform, arguably up there with Panzer Dragoon Saga and Grandia. Better than a ton of the PS1 classics people bring up. It's like "Golden Sun" with a first person dungeon crawling point of view. The music was great too.

IMO, it's the best JRPG on the Saturn. PDS is awesome and more impressive but STHA is just as impressive in it's own right.

It's a shame so few have played it. I'm guilty of it too, had a Saturn as a kid but didn't know about it. First time I played it was a few years back, burned a copy for my modded Saturn. So damn good.

A bit of S-Video footage I captured while playing through it.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I believe XSeed published the game though in the West(2 years after release in Japan) and after the PS3/360 gen had already started, and obviously it didn't sell much.
It was just 8 months later, heck even in Japan it was released after the PS3 came out.

cireza

IMO, it's the best JRPG on the Saturn. PDS is awesome and more impressive but STHA is just as impressive in it's own right.

It's a shame so few have played it. I'm guilty of it too, had a Saturn as a kid but didn't know about it. First time I played it was a few years back, burned a copy for my modded Saturn. So damn good.

A bit of S-Video footage I captured while playing through it.

Holy Ark is my favorite Sakuraba OST. It is absolutely fantastic, full of personality. Then Baten Kaitos. Love this composer overall.

SeraphJan

One of decent PS1 JRPG, but this game also has a lots of problem people overlooked

Monotonous battle system and character progression, The puzzle is either extremely easy or is like hitting a jackpot that had almost no visual cue, Pretty mediocre story. It had amazing graphic for its time, and the soundtrack absolutely rocks, but there are far better PS1 JRPGs out there. Pure nostalgic value for me, a B tier game, especially consider PS1 had one of the most robust JRPG library such as Final Fantasy 9, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 2, Xenogear, Parasite Eve, Valkyrie Profile etc.

Last edited:

Zephir

Playing it as well between other games on PS5...I feel bad for remembering the item multiplier glitch after all these years (but not too bad)

Also, the Italian localization is godly awful, despite loving it at the time

Pallas

Gold Member
CTRL+F

Also, I used to print those GameFaqs guides. Looks good on paper.
That reminds me, back when I was in the sixth or seventh grade I was playing this game on my PlayStation. I remember having just discovered gamefaqs on my schools computer(didn’t own a computer then) and asked my mom if she could print it for me at her work. Was pretty amazing at the time.

I tried to do it at school but they still had those annoying dot matrix printers. Wasn’t happening on those lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

CosmicComet

The only Wild Arms I could finish was 2.

Ashley Winchester was a bad ass. One of my favorite JRPG protags ever.

I have the remake of the first one: Alter Code F, but its start was just way too slow for me to grasp on to it.

Rudy being a gun slinger and a silent protagonist also made him and the game way less interesting for me than the Chad Ashley who was confident, bad ass, had demonic powers, banged his hot girlfriend, used a bayonette rifle with buster sword sized blade attached to it, and ended up having twins with said hot girlfriend by the end of the game.

Tbh Ashley might be the only JRPG protag with tangible proof of not being a virgin. Dude is unique.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying this game. It's much more thoughtful than you'd think. Not that it's deep, but lots of nice touches that allow you to experiment. Spells are obtained via items. The items are easy to find in dungeons but can also be easily overlooked. Upgrades for other members too. With spells, you choose what you want to craft, I like that. Play how you want until you eventually have the bulk of the available spells. The story is actually pretty good considering it's 100% typical JRPG stuff. It doles out bits of story here and there and makes it much more engaging than I anticipated.

I also appreciate that you can donate money to Adelhyde. Small in scope but nice that it's there, just adds to the world building. Curious what the payoff will be. The adventure aspect while dungeon crawling was a stroke of genius. Such a no-brainer but I can't think of another turn-based JRPG from that era (or at all really) that incorporates such basic puzzles and variety of tools, it really adds to the overall gameplay. Graphics too, some of the enemy designs and summon animations are really cool. Super basic but they've aged well.

12 hours in, level 26. Just killed the green demon. The more I play, the more the game justifies why it stayed on my radar for 25+ years.

Imagine that the cup of coffee is Wild Arms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom