• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Yea, I subbed too, after not even buying the game when it launched and I was a vocal person in the community with a podcast and what not. Did not like the route it was going once I got into Beta and that I was burned out from Themepark MMO's. Now I'm taking it easy and having a good time.

I hear ya. Looking at the game right now and it's so clear to see why I loved it so much at launch.

I'm not even sure where to begin with revisiting the game especially with my AMPs being reset and my knowledge of most of the content being forgotten (don't remember any of the dungeons etc. at all).

Azzurri

I hear ya. Looking at the game right now and it's so clear to see why I loved it so much at launch.

I'm not even sure where to begin with revisiting the game especially with my AMPs being reset and my knowledge of most of the content being forgotten (don't remember any of the dungeons etc. at all).

Same, I'm lost in what amps and ability point go where.

There are a couple things I'd change with the game.

1. I'm not a huge fan of the telegraphs. In PvE it's ok, but PvP it's way too chaotic and just a huge mess, with greens, reds, and what ever other color. I feel it's just a zerg all the time.

2. Everything is SO small from characters, text, nameplates, etc. I don't know if it's how the camera, but everything feels so small, especially when you zoom out which you need to to see the telegraphs. I wish the size was more like WoW.

TheYanger

Try some of the colorblind options for the telegraphs, see if one of those suits you better. I found even in pvp they weren't TOO bad once I was used to them. Not great, but not bad. The main thing is green is rarely important to know and it can be hard to parse which red is what, but generally as you learn what you're fighting you know sort of what to look for. It's the flashing ones you can't really avoid (instant attacks that are already hitting you before you see the telegraph) that are annoying and should probably be reduced.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/15/report-wildstar-pulled-from-australian-stores

Game is being pulled of store shelf's in some countries.

I know it sounds like whatever, but this is the same thing that happened to ESO before going b2p starting with eb is Australia
They're also running a WildStar Mystery Box promotion starting today. Buy a retail box to get 30 days of game time plus 1 of 3 items.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-04-15-announcing-the-wildstar-box-mystery-box-promo/

Looks like they're going all out to make sure those retail box copies are off shelves. I would jump in if it turned F2P or B2P.

Azzurri

They're also running a WildStar Mystery Box promotion starting today. Buy a retail box to get 30 days of game time plus 1 of 3 items.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-04-15-announcing-the-wildstar-box-mystery-box-promo/

Looks like they're going all out to make sure those retail box copies are off shelves. I would jump in if it turned F2P or B2P.

Yup, only a matter of time before something changes.

Little rant, but it's amazing how much people hate on F2P/B2P, they are some f2p mmo's that suck, but there a lot that are just as good or better than they were when they were sub based. If you go on reddit or WS official forums it's amazing how they cry bloody murder and threatened to quit if it changes their model.

Little rant, but it's amazing how much people hate on F2P/B2P, they are some f2p mmo's that suck, but there a lot that are just as good or better than they were when they were sub based. If you go on reddit or WS official forums it's amazing how they cry bloody murder and threatened to quit if it changes their model.
People are scared of change because usually a change in business model means a change for the player. They're scared of any sort of restrictions being placed on them, the content cycle going forward, a shift to microtransactions, and a mass influx of population that always includes the worst people on earth. I can understand the fear of the first three depending on how Carbine chooses to do this. The last point doesn't make any sense because as MMO history has shown, a pay wall no longer keeps the bad apples out.

So while there are certainly things to fear about a change in payment models, it will ultimately be nothing but good for the game going forward. There is no room for growth sticking to a subscription model for WildStar. The community needs to start realizing this.

TheYanger

It's because the early F2P/B2P models were extremely unfair to the player, all those early asian F2P MMOs were money sinks of the highest order, and playing for free was basically just a waste of time. The model has evolved and most of the newer ones are super super fair, but peoples till hate the notion.

I guess I'm one of those people at this point. I just vastly prefer the sub model over the other options and a big reason for that is what the makers of it have to do in order for the game to survive as a sub based game. Constantly release more content. Sub mmorpgs make their money from player retention so you have to give longtime players more reasons to stay, and provide great CS support. Not from just hooking people in with a good premise or having some way to encourage people to pay for in game stuff with real money. I'm not saying that all modern examples of b2p/f2p are bad, just that I feel that there isn't a long term reason for them to remain good. Or something.

It's a dying method since I guess it just isn't worth the effort/time/money compared to b2p/f2p. Look at the FF14 rerelease though. Game is pretty shit in most regards compared to other mmorpgs except for one thing. They have had a constant flow of new content since it came out.

People's Number 1 fear is that the 'content' quality drops because the cash shop takes up all the time.

I have always hated cash shops, even for vanity related things, because it takes those items out of the "gameworld". You pay someone with real money and just get them in the game. You don't need to quest for them, find them, craft them, work towards them with your character.

Azzurri

I would prefer WS to be sub, but the game can't live being sub only, it just doesn't have that name reconigition like FF or WoW to keep players.

It's been bleeding subs since release and I don't see any other method to get new people at a high level.

I would prefer WS to be sub, but the game can't live being sub only, it just doesn't have that name reconigition like FF or WoW to keep players.

It's been bleeding subs since release and I don't see any other method to get new people at a high level.

Yeah, I can't really argue with that. Without going into a complete remake and re release of the game it blew it's chance, and even then like you said it doesn't have the name recognition to even get a second chance like FF14.

My comments were more based on sub vs b2p/f2p, and not specific to this exact game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Game is on clearance for $20 at best buy. Got it for $15 with GCU. Figured if it does go F2P or B2P, might as well get in now.

Game is really fun and gorgeous

F2P can be done like crap...it's kind of crazy just how gimped SW:TOR is if you dont sub. But a game like Tera, as far as I can see does not hold anything back just because you are playing free

Azzurri

Game is on clearance for $20 at best buy. Got it for $15 with GCU. Figured if it does go F2P or B2P, might as well get in now.

Game is really fun and gorgeous

F2P can be done like crap...it's kind of crazy just how gimped SW:TOR is if you dont sub. But a game like Tera, as far as I can see does not hold anything back just because you are playing free

Bought a couple my self for 15 too. Whatever model the choose I just hope they do it right. If they stay with P2P then I'm fine with that because I don't mind paying. But if they choose F2P or B2P let's just hope they do it right.

I did get that Fat Kitty mount!!!!

Sölf

As soon as this turns B2P or F2P I will take another look. I basically only stopped after 2 months because there was no content for solo players, except those 2 daily zones. And they got boring pretty fast. Sure, there are dungeons and we worked on our attunement, but eh, playing dungeons a few hours every other day is not what I would call "compelling gameplay". And that wasn't worth the money, imo.

Dead

well not really...yet
How are you liking it?
Got to level 15 and havent really picked it up since

Got to Thayd and got kind of really overwhelmed. Introduced way too much shit at the same time and the city was insanely dense.

Also it was disheartening to see 70+ Lv 50 people there, while during my time leveling in the starting zones, I saw maybe 4 or 5 people there at most (thats total people ran into while leveling 1 to 15). Just felt totally alienating.

But honestly what disappointed me the most was how the quest design was just the same ol' click a character, box of text, accept, WoW like design. In 2015, after playing stuff like Secret World, Old Republic, ESO or even Guild Wars 2, that really outdated quest design just takes me out of the world.

Other than that, the world and design is beautiful, characters are fun, combat is actually good. Ill probably get back to it at some point.

Azzurri

Got to level 15 and havent really picked it up since

Got to Thayd and got kind of really overwhelmed. Introduced way too much shit at the same time and the city was insanely dense.

Also it was disheartening to see 70+ Lv 50 people there, while during my time leveling in the starting zones, I saw maybe 4 or 5 people there at most (thats total people ran into while leveling 1 to 15). Just felt totally alienating.

But honestly what disappointed me the most was how the quest design was just the same ol' click a character, box of text, accept, WoW like design. In 2015, after playing stuff like Secret World, Old Republic, ESO or even Guild Wars 2, that really outdated quest design just takes me out of the world.

Other than that, the world and design is beautiful, characters are fun, combat is actually good. Ill probably get back to it at some point.

Yea, the questing is so bad and boring that it's hard for me to level a character to 50.

Sölf

So, this new dynamic max level zone. What exactly is that? I sounded interesting (well, compared to Crimson Badlands and Northern Wastes I guess anything sounds interesting... xD).

Azzurri

ZPDKW2t.png

Not good at ALL

Sölf

billingtype: Free on Demand (12)
licensetype: Single Purchase (1)

Does that mean F2P or B2P? Sounds like the latter to me.

Sölf;163852900 said:
billingtype: Free on Demand (12)
licensetype: Single Purchase (1)

Does that mean F2P or B2P? Sounds like the latter to me.
Warframe has the same tag on it. So likely F2P.

Of course it might also mean the 10-day free trial.

Primus

I'd certainly be back in, stopped playing 3 months after launch.

Wonder if there'll be any goodies for people who bought box copies prior to the F2P launch.

Dead

well not really...yet
Putting the game up as f2p on steam is the only way to save it. wonder when they will make an announcement.

Putting the game up as f2p on steam is the only way to save it. wonder when they will make an announcement.

Probably tonight. Their twitter account teased a surprise after long maintenance today. The official forums are still down I think, but should be up soon.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35weqk/wildstar_is_going_to_a_hybrid_free_to_play_model/

Looks like the model change will happen in August. So no B2P but a F2P with sub.

He seems to be a current employee
I found this quote interesting.

Hey there! Steam integration has been coming for a while, Valve was in our office here in Orange County back in January. We are trying to get Wildstar to be THE MMO for Steamboxes, IE, Wildstar will be preinstalled with every system. It should be happening before the China launch that's for sure.

Wonder if that means they're developing a Linux version too.

They were doing a big maintenance thing the other day.

My guild was raiding and I was bored of dungeons and PVP, so I pottered about Deradune. Jumping off waterfalls and climbing giant trees, achievements and lore. I like the nooks and crannies of this game.

On Sunday I have to beat Kuralak without getting hit by a telegraph. Fun times.

So I just bought WildStar and while waiting for it to arrive through the good 'ol mailbox I'm taking advantage of the 10-day trial. Only at level 13 on my Spellslinger after two days.

Sölf

I am also temped to resub. I only played the first 2 months and 2 or 3 days of my 10 day trial 3 months ago. So I still have to play through The Defile, Omnicore-1 as well as pretty much all veteran shiphands and other stuff. I am also temped to start a dominion for their story.

Nope. Unless you really like the world and story, best to burn through the main quests only. That way you get to harder content sooner, meaning more XP gains, rather than grinding rote quests for less XP.

If a task syncs nicely with a quest, may as well do it.

Top Bottom