• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar: Reloaded |OT| Full Steam Ahead!

UPDATE: THE GAME IS NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM!

A link to the original OT, credits for images and text go to Einbroch, banned author of said OT.

logokfso1.png

Qt6l7d7.png

Cxjx8t7.png

Fu9cXjs.png

LjxfaTi.png

The combat is WildStar is free-form action and is based on a telegraph system. For example, if a Warrior swings a sword in an arc, it will hit all enemies in that arc. If a Spellslinger shoots a long range piercing bullet, it will hit whatever is in the telegraph's range, including enemies behind or in front of the target. Many abilities are press-and-hold or rapid tap as well, increasing in duration or power by either holding a key down or pressing the key repeatedly.

The telegraph system is complex and makes the game feel like an action game and less like a tab-targeting game. Red is hostile damage, move out of it. Blue is your own damage, keep the enemies in that. Green is friendly healing or buffs, stay in it. Orange is friendly damage, keep the enemies in that. Purple is hostile healing or buffs, get the enemies out of that. All abilities are telegraphed. There is no targeting or auto attacking, except for hostiles. Hostiles will auto-attack, but these attacks have minimal impact.

Another important aspect to the combat is the limited action set (LAS). LAS means that you can only have eight abilities on your bar at one time. These can be switched out at any time (as long as the user is not in combat).

WildStar, like Guild Wars 2 or TERA, has a dodge mechanic. This is a rechargeable resource. It is meant to get you out of danger. There are some AMPs that can give bonuses to dodging, such as increased damage on your next attack or free dodges if you're crowd controlled. Dodging will be key in getting out of the way of an enemy's telegraphs.

In the newest patch, Reloaded, WildStar has added an optional "mouselock" function that allows the mouse buttons to be used as action keys for combat, similar to TERA.

There is also a “breakout” system. Crowd control in this game can be removed by the player. Some examples:
  • Stun, which will prompt a button mash
  • Knockdown, which can be dodge rolled out of
  • Subdue, which will toss your weapon to the ground, but if you walk over to it, you will pick it up
Some unique crowd control include:
  • Disorient, which will cause your movement keys to be jumbled
  • Blind, which will black out your screen except for a very small area

TkAp3Wp.png

The housing in WildStar is one of the most customizable and in-depth housing system that's ever been in an MMO. Every user unlocks housing at level 14 and receives a new skill that allows them to teleport to their home at any time. Their home exists in an instance, floating on a small plot of land in the sky. Each Skyplot comes with seven nodes. One for the home, four small nodes, and two large nodes. There are two ways to customize: decor and FABkits. Decor items are simply items that have no gameplay impact, but can make your house look unique. These items can be resized, stretched, rotated, and placed wherever the user wants. People have turned a full sized wooden fence into the center net on a ping pong table, or have turned tables into ramps for a floating skate park! The possibilities are endless.

FABkits are customization options that have in-game ramifications. Each FABkit fits into one of the six plots (four small, two large). A couple examples are:

• Farm to gather fruit and vegetables for cooking.
  • Mine to gather ore for crafting.
  • Portals to end-game raids for easy access.
  • Special dungeons that only you or your friends can complete.
  • Low gravity jumping puzzles.
  • Crafting stations.
  • ...and more!
Decor and FABkits can be bought, found through questing, looted off mobs, obtained through PVP, or almost any other way. Oh, and you can change the sky box and weather of your Skyplot!

ijNOW6A.png

The Elder Game is what Carbine refers to as the end game of WildStar, but that does not mean that it can only be done at max level. What makes WildStar unique from most MMOs is that it launches with a full plate of content for those who do hit the max level. This includes adventures, veteran dungeons, twenty man raids, rated arena battles, battlegrounds, and warplots.

The raids in WildStar are hard. They're hard. Did I mention they're hard? 'Cause, yeah, they're hard. Carbine has stated on numerous occasions that they are not going to nerf the content to suit a large playerbase. This harkens back to vanilla World of Warcraft. They expect many people to clear veteran dungeons, but with some difficulty. They expect even less to clear twenty man raids. For example, top-end guilds that have had months to attack the twenty man raids are still not on farm status. The telegraph system makes it so they can clearly display what killed you, but enables them to make it hard. Yeah, it's hard.

Adventures are instanced areas where the gameplay completely changes from the rest of the game. Adventures can be done throughout the leveling experience. Adventures can be choose-your-own adventures, tower defense, capture points, Oregon Trail (yes, Oregon Trail), and so on. These adventures have branching paths upon branching paths, so no two runs are the same. Not only that, but they provide loot, titles, and other goodies that can only be obtained from Adventures. These can be repeated indefinitely. Each adventure has a veteran version for max level.

zMlIGN7.png

What do I get if I preorder or buy the game? Is there a deluxe edition?
Preordering any version unlocks a rocket house, a trophy for your house, a title, three day headstart, and an in-game storage bag. All versions of the game get thirty days of playtime and three guest passes with seven days of playtime for your friends. The digital deluxe version ($74.99) unlocks a hoverboard, a costume, a title, and a special dye in addition to all previous perks.

Do I have to pay a monthly fee to play this game?
No. The game, in it's entirety, is now F2P. You have no limit to the content you can do. There is no value deducted for free players, so you can test your mettle against the hardest encounters in the game, do all the quests, explore every nook and cranny of Nexus... For free!

Are classes limited to certain races?
Yes, similar to World of Warcraft. However, each class has at least two options per faction.

Is there controller support?
Officially, no. But there is a guide on the official forums.

Okay, what else?
We didn't even touch runecrafting, crafting professions, gathering, lore, UI customization...there's a lot. Click the links above sprinkled throughout the text for devspeaks (developer overviews) of the various aspects of the game.

lQ9OICi.png

In WildStar: Reloaded, we're getting a bunch of new shit! Awesome, right? For example:

So, this is the big one. Click the image for the official blog post.

The entire reason for this update. The game is finally going free to play. I'm here to answer your questions! No, it's not pay to win. No, you're not being handicapped by being a free player!

As a free player, you're limited by a few things - namely, how many characters you can have, your bank slots, etc. Nothing ground breaking or that will affect the gameplay in any way, shape, or form.

Subscribers will have full access to character slots, bank slots, etc - as WELL as anyone who pays in CREDD (this game's equivalent to WoW tokens)!

Also, you can buy things from the cash shop (strictly cosmetic in the first place) entirely with in game money. You don't have to spend a cent to get anything from the cash shop. It's just quicker.

I see the mention of "normal rates". Have these been nerfed for F2P players?
No. The normal rates are the rates that are in the game right now for subscribers. Nothing like that is nerfed!

That's it for right now - I'll think of more to add over the days leading up to launch.

And, remember: Just say no to Aurin!

How do I get into the open beta?!
It's over! The game is out! Go play!

GAF GUILDS!
NA:
"Neo Empire" on the PVE server, Dominion side. Contact Sejati Mojoki in game for an invite!
"Gather Against Fate" on PVE, Exile side. Contact Brutal Mojo, Kirael Einsfell, Galenos Einsfell, Croc McTavish, or anybody else you see with the guild tag, as they can all invite.
EU:
"Bladesong" on the PVE server, Exile side. Contact Seiniyta via PM!

Quote this for the Discord voice chat server. We use it for Neo Empire mainly, but it's welcome to all GAF members who wanna chat?

So, what add-ons are "must haves" if I've going to be playing?
ESSENTIAL:
Interruptor
Threat
Vortex Meter
VinceBuilds

QUESTING:
Perspective
InstantQuestAccept
BetterQuestLog

More can be found at the official subreddit's page.

I'm new or returning. Is the population really that rough?
I'm new, too. The population is lower than most big MMOs right now... That much is true. But that's why the game is going F2P!

Also, The Orange Hatter on YouTube is doing some interesting videos!
The Sad Story of Wildstar
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VIiGGcGfdg"]The Sad Story of Wildstar - Addendum
[/URL]Wildstar Free to PSA #1 - Don't Stand in the Red
Wildstar Free to PSA #2 - Movement and Inturrupts
Wildstar Free to PSA #3 - Stats, Amps, and Abilities.

ChaoticPotion

Neo Member
Oh, cool. Didn't know about it being Open Beta for a few days before release.
Just looked it up though and was lead to a 'Test Server Client'. Does this mean when F2P launches I'd lose all of my progress since it's on the test server?

Oh, cool. Didn't know about it being Open Beta for a few days before release.
Just looked it up though and was lead to a 'Test Server Client'. Does this mean when F2P launches I'd lose all of my progress since it's on the test server?

Yes, the beta will wipe. I'm working on updating the second post I reserved with beta information

Xiaoki

Hopefully a bunch of new people start playing so I can do some dungeons on my level 20 healer Spellslinger.

Effect

Levels 1 through 15 are completely redone thanks to player feedback!

Glad to read this. People always focused on some of the later parts of the game as examples of what was wrong with it but I always felt more focus had to be on the general introduction of the game. The problems it had couldn't be dismissed and it looks like they realized it was a problem too.

Glad to read this. People always focused on some of the later parts of the game as examples of what was wrong with it but I always felt more focus had to be on the general introduction of the game. The problems it had couldn't be dismissed and it looks like they realized it was a problem too.

Yeah - a lot of the problems, if not all of the problems from launch and the first few months have been kinked out. Carbine's been working hard on that much... In all honesty, this is the first time the game's felt to the playerbase as "ready to launch". It should have cooked another year, and it eventually did... I guess!

The game itself is just fantastic now. :)

Seiniyta

Looking forward to all the new people. Though there's some rather outdated info in the first post too. All the raids are now 20 man for example :)

Tenebrous

Hell yeah! Looking forward to getting back into WS... I had a level 20 something something or another... Can't remember - It was fun, though!

PepperedHam

Definitely looking forward to jumping back into this. Has there been any additional optimization since launch? I remember it running kinda meh on AMD CPUs.

TheYanger

So much this.

This game is FANTASTIC, blows every other shitty 'action' mmo out of the water, but the first 15-20 levels always felt exactly like any other wow-alike, and it was a real struggle to keep convincing folks to level past that shit to get to see what makes the game unique.

Wildstar has the best combat in any MMO. You just can't actually tell when you're level 3 with two buttons and enemies that don't do shit to you so you don't have to care.

Tak3n

Banned
I do wonder if we will ever see another successful sub based mmo like wow, I suspect we won't, the path now seems set...F2P

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ok, so...

I had a WS account back at release, can I use these chars in beta?

When beta wipes, do we lose our pre-established chars?

Are WS 2.0 and WS 1.0 different servers? Will 2.0 wipe everything?

These might be dumb questions but I'm pretty confused

Ok, so...

I had a WS account back at release, can I use these chars in beta?

When beta wipes, do we lose our pre-established chars?

Are WS 2.0 and WS 1.0 different servers? Will 2.0 wipe everything?

These might be dumb questions but I'm pretty confused

The beta servers are separate from the main servers. The characters you had will be safe and sound when F2P launches... You can copy characters to the beta, but only with an active sub. When beta ends, your character progress you made on the beta will stay strictly on the PTR servers.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The beta servers are separate from the main servers. The characters you had will be safe and sound when F2P launches... You can copy characters to the beta, but only with an active sub. When beta ends, your character progress you made on the beta will stay strictly on the PTR servers.
Ah, boo to that. Will wait for release in that case. Thanks for the info.

Aeana

I'm really excited about this. I played the beta before launch last year and I had some gripes that kept me from really wanting to buy the game, but it sounds like those have been addressed in one way or another (especially performance and UI stuff. really glad they embraced addons so heavily). It comes at just the right time, too, since my return to WoW has petered out by hitting a progression wall.

I hope lots of GAF folks start up this game so we can have an active guild going.

I'm really excited about this. I played the beta before launch last year and I had some gripes that kept me from really wanting to buy the game, but it sounds like those have been addressed in one way or another (especially performance and UI stuff. really glad they embraced addons so heavily). It comes at just the right time, too, since my return to WoW has petered out by hitting a progression wall.

I hope lots of GAF folks start up this game so we can have an active guild going.

Dominion, hopefully!

grimmiq

I liked this when I played, but the reliance on low ping really killed it for me as an Aussie, some AoEs seemed impossible to get out of with 200+ms.

Is the PVP in this any good?

From the subreddit:

PvP has undergone multiple significant changes since launch, and each time the quality multiplies. Currently, you can PvP from 1 to 50 if you see fit. You can purchase starter PvP gear for a handful of gold and with it start hoarding some precious prestige which can be used to buy higher-tier PvP gear, regardless of rating! That's right, the PvP-gear rating has been removed. If you kill enough dirty Exiles or stuck up Dominion, you can go ahead and buy yourself a full set of top-tier super-gear!

WildStar has a variety of rated and open battlegrounds, arenas, warplots, and world-PvP. If you want more PvP, you'll find it here.

Exiles for life

Eugh. Only good Aurin's a dead Aurin

Aeana

Dominion, hopefully!

Exiles are more appealing, but I'll consider going anywhere where the majority of people are.

I liked this when I played, but the reliance on low ping really killed it for me as an Aussie, some AoEs seemed impossible to get out of with 200+ms.

Did you try one of those programs like Battleping or WTFast or PingZapper? Those have helped people in other MMOs at least.

SolVanderlyn

We could take a poll seeing who prefers Exile or Dominion. Actually have a character on both sides but Exiles are far more appealing. Not a fan of space rats.

Also might as well start reinstalling this now... getting pretty psyched for this. The only reason to quit in the first place was the sub fee.

I can't get into any other MMO the way I did wow, same old story. Gonna give this a shot, the art style catches me, but I feel like its still going to be the same cycle for me no matter what.

TheYanger

Exiles are more appealing, but I'll consider going anywhere where the majority of people are.

Did you try one of those programs like Battleping or WTFast or PingZapper? Those have helped people in other MMOs at least.

It was pretty bad even with that stuff iirc, the game is just NOT friendly to higher pings, a playable ping in GW2 or wow or FF14 is an absolute killer in wildstar sometimes. I mean, might be worth trying regardless, but I never met a single aussie that managed to play well when I was playing the game.

I'm not sure what the servers and stuff are now, 1 pvp 1 pve? I should be on the pvp server, Dominion. But I'm tempted to check out the levelling game now and see how they've altered it.

Exiles suck though.

I can't get into any other MMO the way I did wow, same old story. Gonna give this a shot, the art style catches me, but I feel like its still going to be the same cycle for me no matter what.
The main thing with Wildstar is that although the setting and lore and all of that are fine (even interesting as you get farther in), it's still going to feel 'same old' in terms of questing and running around, you'll probably never recapture that sense of wonder tbh. The difference between Wildstar and stuff like FF14 and SWTOR is that the combat is compelling on its own once you start doing things like dungeons or higher end solo content and it actually has a lot of fun gameplay additions.

Basically, the levelling and systems will feel VERY wow-esque like every other game these days, but the act of running around fighting monsters feels really solidly different.

Between this,

Guild Wars 2 (still doing strong, getting an expansion in a month)
Warframe (one of the most played games consistently on Steam)
ArcheAge (still doing strong)
Blade and Soul (getting released soon)
Black Desert Online (beta at the end of the year)
TERA (still doing strong)
and SWTOR (new expansion in a few months)

, There is just so much free, great high quality gameplay. 5 years ago F2P was mostly a joke. Now we're at a point were the restrictions on free players mostly are fair, or at least manageable (Warframe) and only sometimes, slightly annoying (SWTOR).

I've heard so many great things about Wildstar and I've promised myself that I am going to give a try. Everyone I talk to said it was a shame of its population problem because it was better than a lot of games that had more players. Right now I'm really busy with GW2 and SWTOR, as they are prepping up new really cool expansions.

If you enjoy GW2 you owe it to yourself to try Wildstar for sure, I have always been of the opinion that GW2 promised action/positional oriented combat and under delivered in that respect horribly, Wildstar to me is what GW2 always tried to sell itself as in terms of combat mechanics. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Lack of trinity and overreliance on auto attacking mobs/invincible roll frames made dungeons in GW2 absolutely un-fun, whereas the dungeon experience in Wildstar is actually the best part. so if you enjoy grouping with other folk and having a good time challenging yourselves as a group it's definitely better.

Between this,

Guild Wars 2 (still doing strong, getting an expansion in a month)
Warframe (one of the most played games consistently on Steam)
ArcheAge (still doing strong)
Blade and Soul (getting released soon)
Black Desert Online (beta at the end of the year)
TERA (still doing strong)
and SWTOR (new expansion in a few months)

, There is just so much free, great high quality gameplay. 5 years ago F2P was mostly a joke. Now we're at a point were the restrictions on free players mostly are fair, or at least manageable (Warframe) and only sometimes, slightly annoying (SWTOR).

I've heard so many great things about Wildstar and I've promised myself that I am going to give a try. Everyone I talk to said it was a shame of its population problem because it was better than a lot of games that had more players. Right now I'm really busy with GW2 and SWTOR, as they are prepping up new really cool expansions.

Sölf

Will play with a few friends. No idea if we start from scratch or use older characters. And no idea which server. And no idea which side. xD

Won

Actually ended up resubbing a while ago and did a fresh start on the Dominion side this time....only to realize I probably should have waited for the F2P launch, to roll with all the new players. Pah!

Hope it shakes out for Carbine. There is too much good stuff in this game to not at least deserve some basic level of success.

grimmiq

Works well with FFXIV because those are a lot more lenient, PingZapper helped with everything except point blank AoE.

Teknoman

So now this, GW2, and FFXIV to jump back into once I finish cutting a chunk out of my backlog.

Although I haven't heard much from the soundtrack, I really hope they drive home more of the futuristic / spacey themed music, and that it doesn't sound like just another standard mmo fantasy soundtrack.

Gothos

I really like the game but subscription model is a no-no for me so I stopped playing after the first month. Definetely getting back to this :) Are the serwers split between EU/US? Maybe we could make EU guild?

I bought the game on launch and got to max level before getting bored to tears. Furnishing my living space was somewhat amusing, but the monotonous dungeons and hardcore grinding to get attuned for raids was way too exhausting for me in the end. It's nice that the game tried to recapture the feel of old-school vanilla WoW with crazy attunements and 40 man raids, but the fact of the matter is that was a very different time. Ain't got no time for that shit no more. Haven't really kept up with the changes after the initial launch, so will probably reinstall and check stuff out a bit.

Icarus

Attunement is much easier now than it was in the beginning. Plus there are tradeable keys that drop off Ohmna that allow you to skip the whole process. Just gotta know what guilds farm them to sell (or get yourself an invite to a guild that can kill Ohmna). With the combat system being what it is, end game in Wildstar is as good or better than pretty much any MMORPG around.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just got a key for this so I could jump in a few days before f2p, is there a EU guild? and if so is it good guys or bad guys? (I forget the actual names)

Logsi

If it doesn't run awful i may be inclined to try it.

I bought it originally and was put off by the performance issues...no matter what setting used...

Seiniyta

Attunement is much easier now than it was in the beginning. Plus there are tradeable keys that drop off Ohmna that allow you to skip the whole process. Just gotta know what guilds farm them to sell (or get yourself an invite to a guild that can kill Ohmna). With the combat system being what it is, end game in Wildstar is as good or better than pretty much any MMORPG around.

I've beat Ohma (only for the raiding guild to fall apart right after pretty much lmao) and I concurr. Raiding in wildstar is probably the best there is out there. They are really challenging, but very doable with a competent team of players.

Although gear does matter, it's definitly not the deciding factor. It's really more about execution.

Top Bottom