• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Horizon Burning Shores Win best technical achievement/graphics of 2023?

Zathalus

If we count expansions then Phantom Liberty will.

If not then Spider-Man 2 most likely.

Edit: Forgot about Alan Wake 2, PC version of course.

Last edited:

SCB3

If we're talking pure Graphics then I gotta go with Spiderman 2

However the term "Technical Achievement" makes me think more of "How did they get this running on Limited hardware" as an example then surely Zelda TotK would sweep that award, how they got that running on Switch with barely any bugs is witchcraft

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Should, but I am not sure if DLCs qualify for that nomination.

Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake 2 might also be excellent candidates for that.

midnightAI

bad npcs shouldnt be a barometer to judge a video game's graphics.

there are bad NPCs in the best looking game of last gen.
z140XDb.jpg

there are ugly as sin children in AC valhalla
vf2pfyl1of161.png

there are bad looking NPCs in cyberpunk.
VV7KyU9.jpg

FF16 has some stunning looking character models and some straight up lifted from the ps3 era.

F0P6fdPX0AA7vN8

Find me an open world game, and i will find you ugly NPCs.

The quest givers and main character models are pretty decent and a massive upgrade over their last game. And thats what matters in a game where you are constantly talking to characters face to face.

F5tjDnEXMAAu1KI

F6RK0JrW4AAdOqm
The problem with Starfield is that it's harder to find a good looking NPC than it is to find an ugly one.

Either way, it's way too inconsistent with it's graphics, some things look great, some average, some downright awful. Heck, I'd say Destiny 2 is better looking and that's a previous gen game (Destiny can look amazing at times). The interiors look good though for the most part.

Edit: and as amazing as Horizon looks, and I think graphically it is the best this year, I don't think DLC's are usually allowed into game of the year awards so that counts out both Horizon and Cyberpunk

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
No when we got CP with full path tracing.

Also, as good as it looks, H:BS are mostly high-res textures one next to each other with vibrant colors, but the lighting and tech is sub-par.

GymWolf

After being underwhelmed by spidey 2 i think that only phantom libert dlc could steal the win because of the rtx factor.

Avatar could win something if ubilol doesn't downgraded it to oblivion.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

You captured such a beautiful clip that, in my opinion, captures the essence of this "next-gen" phenomenon.

During launch period, I thought Sony was overselling the "immersion" part and it was only USP marketing because Xbox doesn't have a controller with DualSense features. After playing HFW Burning Shores and seeing Starfield and Spider-Man 2, I totally understand what they meant by immersion.

Immersion really is the big next-gen thing. It's not just haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, but it's the sum of all the different parts, what you do with it, and how it makes you feel.

There are so many things you're doing in this clip seamlessly: fighting, flying, swimming, underwater exploration, environmental destruction. That's perfect immersion that wasn't really possible a few years ago. Then you do all this with 3D audio, no loading screens, and haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

When a game comes along that isn't as immersive and doesn't have these features, it immediately stands out as a huge negative.

Spider-Man 2 seems like it will carry on this new tradition now, and I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Disagree with all of the above.

FF16 looks good in cutscenes, but it's not as impressive in-game. Alan Wake 2 is highly confined linear title. Impressive in its own right, but SM2 is doing it on a much larger scale.

Cyberpunk on console is not more impressive than SM2. It's not really an impressive game at all. Avatar still is a question mark.

Technical achievement doesnt care if a game is linear or open world, if anything id say open world games actually have a harder time because of how detailed and deliberate linear games can be in their "confined" spaces.
And most certainly it doesn't exclude a game being on PC only.

Technical Achievement from DICE last year was Elden Ring but Plagues Tale Requiem was a front runner a highly confined linear title.
Flight Sim was also nominated while not having a console version at all.

Technical Achievement from BAFTA last year was Forbidden West, Stray and Immortality were nominated too.
Flight Simulator was nominated in 2020.....there was no console version of that game.

For GDC Control won both best Technology and best Visual Art in 2019.....the console version didnt even have RayTracing, but the PC version did, so its quite clear which version they were giving the award to.
In 2020 Flight Simulator won best Technology......no console version there.

Phantom Liberty with Overdrive and Portal RTX are totally valid choices and even if Overdrive and Portal RTX arent on console, they will still be in consideration.
Spider-Man 2 is probably the one im least likely to expect to actually get the nod especially versus Burning Shores

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Agree, people should just left this thing that doesn't even look as good as crossgen forbidden west out of this topic because it's not really in the competition with the big dogs :messenger_winking_tongue:
A lot of games don't look as good as Horizon, particularly some next gen (there's one that begins with an S, but I'll leave that out of this).

That said, I'm not worried about Spider-Man. Insomniac knows what they're doing and have received plenty of praise for the previews folks have played/seen. I know that's not something you fancy, though. :goog_cool:

GymWolf

A lot of games don't look as good as Horizon, particularly some next gen (there's one that begins with an S, but I'll leave that out of this).

That said, I'm not worried about Spider-Man. Insomniac knows what they're doing and have received plenty of praise for the previews folks have played/seen. I know that's not something you fancy, though. :goog_cool:
I have the game in preorder since forever because i know what to expect from insomniac, but like you said, praises from journalists invited to such an event have less than zero weight for me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i guess so, no other games come close the the visual quality as todate.

Tsaki

Horizon is easily the best looking game so far and it becomes better the more AAA games release with internal resolutions of 900p or whatever and broken and stuttery fps. Add to that the solid framerates the game runs at and it makes you think of what Horizon 3 will look like on PS5 Pro. It will put to shame most next-crossgen games in 2028. It probably won't win awards due to being DLC though.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I have the game in preorder since forever because i know what to expect from insomniac, but like you said, praises from journalists invited to such an event have less than zero weight for me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
End of the day, I'm not going to hate on a company known to put out highly pleasing visuals. If one truly knows Insomniac, they'd have the same viewpoint. 🧠

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If we are talking pure screenshot comparison MK1 puts up a good fight..

If we are talking all around technical level .. yeah I’d give it to burning shores.

Beechos

Not sure if it'll win but I wouldn't have a problem if it did. I can't think of many games this year that I stopped and used photo mode for.

bad npcs shouldnt be a barometer to judge a video game's graphics.

there are bad NPCs in the best looking game of last gen.
z140XDb.jpg

there are ugly as sin children in AC valhalla
vf2pfyl1of161.png

there are bad looking NPCs in cyberpunk.
VV7KyU9.jpg

FF16 has some stunning looking character models and some straight up lifted from the ps3 era.

F0P6fdPX0AA7vN8

Find me an open world game, and i will find you ugly NPCs.

The quest givers and main character models are pretty decent and a massive upgrade over their last game. And thats what matters in a game where you are constantly talking to characters face to face.

F5tjDnEXMAAu1KI

F6RK0JrW4AAdOqm
I hope you realize that the Final Fantasy model that you dismiss as " Ps3 level" show at least the same level of detail as these pictures of quest givers and companions in Starfield. There are some worse models on FF16, but they are always very far away from the worse of SF , and closer to their best.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You can't be serious.

Lol is he wrong here? Slimy chose a bad comparison the npc chosen looks good relatively speaking. But I will admit there are spots in ffxvi that are visually bad even for last gen standards, but I don't recall coming across an NPC that looked as bad as the worst of Starfield NPCs.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol is he wrong here? Slimy chose a bad comparison the npc chosen looks good relatively speaking. But I will admit there are spots in ffxvi that are visually bad even for last gen standards, but I don't recall coming across an NPC that looked as bad as the worst of Starfield NPCs.
Yes, completely wrong. The amount of visible pores, hair, and eyebrows aren't even close. The clothes on the FF XVI NPC seem to be painted textures. Then throw in the far superior lighting model in Starfield and I can't see how anyone can look at those screenshots and conclude that FF has the same level of detail. It's not even comparable.

No need to get disingenuous there.

ClosBSAS

Cyberpunk is the king of graphics now...of real true next gen tech. art wise yes, horizon wins, but in terms of raw pure technical aspects...nothing beats cyberpunk 2077 with path tracing on ultra.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
With this sort of conversation, there is no one game that does everything better than every other. Horizon has characters and textures above Cyberpunk, while the latter has lighting and effects ahead of every other game.

I do think Alan Wake 2 has a real shot at taking a crown or two, though.

ClosBSAS

also, horizon wont even look as good anymore when it hits PC...ps5 will be left in the dust as always in comparison.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
also, horizon wont even look as good anymore when it hits PC...ps5 will be left in the dust as always in comparison.
I don't know about that. Sony's 1st Party is rarely dusted by anything and I expect the to release something industry leading by the end of next year.

Even with a beefy PC, my rig doesn't just blow PS5 out of the water no matter the game.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
With this sort of conversation, there is no one game that does everything better than every other. Horizon has characters and textures above Cyberpunk, while the latter has lighting and effects ahead of every other game.

I do think Alan Wake 2 has a real shot at taking a crown or two, though.
This is true but Horizon characters and texture are not generationaly better than CP2077. The lighting, reflections and shadows in CP2077 are generations above what Horizon is doing. CP2077 has great looking characters and good textures while in Horizon the lighting and other effects are not even open for debate. CP2077 is doing technically more impressive things than Horizon, its technically the most advanced game ever made. That doesn't mean that Horizon isn't impressive because it is very impressive for the hardware its running on. What GG made with a cross gen game is impressive and a technicall achievement on its own.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
This is true but Horizon characters and texture are not generationaly better than CP2077. The lighting, reflections and shadows in CP2077 are generations above what Horizon is doing. CP2077 has great looking characters and good textures while in Horizon the lighting and other effects are not even open for debate. CP2077 is doing technically more impressive things than Horizon, its technically the most advanced game ever made. That doesn't mean that Horizon isn't impressive because it is very impressive for the hardware its running on. What GG made with a cross gen game is impressive and a technicall achievement on its own.
Nah. I could easily put those two games in the same gen. They each do something the other doesn't. Horizon's characters, foliage, and textures are leagues above Cyberpunk's, just as Cyberpunk's lighting/reflections/shadows are quite a bit above Horizon's. But, neither overshadows the other.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The Witcher III, as good as it looks with the updates, is not a chart-topping visual piece anymore. Stick to Cyberpunk. :p

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Disagree with all of the above.

FF16 looks good in cutscenes, but it's not as impressive in-game. Alan Wake 2 is highly confined linear title. Impressive in its own right, but SM2 is doing it on a much larger scale.

Cyberpunk on console is not more impressive than SM2. It's not really an impressive game at all. Avatar still is a question mark.
ff 16 not impressive in-game ?! It got some ps2 mmo spots but majority of the game is FIRE.
gameplay only:

gEewFEs.jpg

wPy0S3N.jpg

EDInSgm.jpg

Mtq3233.jpg

I've taken over 300 shots in this game.

Turk1993

Nah. I could easily put those two games in the same gen.
Halo Infinity is also in the same gen but that doesn't mean that the others are not much much better looking.
They each do something the other doesn't.
Yeah i said that also but CP2077 is doing more impressive things that are more advanced which makes it technically the most advanced game.
Horizon's characters
Outside Aloy most of them are very comparable, and there are material shaders in CP2077 on characters that are better.
, foliage
Yeah this is Horizons biggest strength, but its also because CP2077 doesn't play in a jungle. The overall foliage and trees are still better than the one's in CP2077 so thats true. Its one of the most impressive foliage system out there GG nailed it.
, and textures are leagues above Cyberpunk's
Nah, they both have good and average textures. There are tons of incredible detailed textures in both. The small objects and buildings in CP2077 have very high quality textures and the rocks and ground in HFW is also very high quality. But both of them have here and there some average texture so its pretty even.
, just as Cyberpunk's lighting
Now this is just literally 2 generations ahead of the lighting system in HFW. This is HFW weakest point and can't compete with CP2077, it has too many flaws.
/reflections/shadows are quite a bit above Horizon's. But, neither overshadows the other.
And those areas are a generation ahead of HFW. Again the weak spots of HFW.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Halo Infinity is also in the same gen but that doesn't mean that the others are not much much better looking.

Yeah i said that also but CP2077 is doing more impressive things that are more advanced which makes it technically the most advanced game.

Outside Aloy most of them are very comparable, and there are material shaders in CP2077 on characters that are better.

Yeah this is Horizons biggest strength, but its also because CP2077 doesn't play in a jungle. The overall foliage and trees are still better than the one's in CP2077 so thats true. Its one of the most impressive foliage system out there GG nailed it.

Nah, they both have good and average textures. There are tons of incredible detailed textures in both. The small objects and buildings in CP2077 have very high quality textures and the rocks and ground in HFW is also very high quality. But both of them have here and there some average texture so its pretty even.

Now this is just literally 2 generations ahead of the lighting system in HFW. This is HFW weakest point and can't compete with CP2077, it has too many flaws.

And those areas are a generation ahead of HFW. Again the weak spots of HFW.
This is mostly subjective. Sure, Cyberpunk has access to Pathtracing, and it does that well, but it does not make Horizon look a generation behind.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Alan Wake 2 PC will be a tough one to beat with path tracing

Alan-Wake-2-Diner_PT_ON-1-728x410.jpg

Non path traced screenshots already look amazing
alan-wake-ii_2023_08-i1deu.jpg

alan-wake-2-saga-anderson.gif

9UVsf8E.gif

Phantom Liberty with path tracing is an easy win also.

92989_02_cyberpunk-2077-phantom-liberty-update-2-0-looks-incredible-with-dlss-3-5-and-full-ray-tracing_full.jpg

Turk1993

At best, this is all subjective. Sure, Cyberpunk has access to Pathtracing, and that it does well, but it in no way shuts Horizon down and makes it look a generation behind.
Im not saying that it destroys it completely, its just technically the more advanced game. HFW also does things like the water rendering and the clouds that are better than CP2077 but its the overall package in CP2077 thats more impressive. Like i said HFW is in my top 3 and thats while its running on console which is crazy. But the lighting and effects in CP2077 are really generations ahead of whats in HFW and thats a fact, nothing to do with been subjective or not.

Top Bottom