• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
That would be perfect. I know some people will disagree, but I've had more than enough pixel art games recently. I just replayed a bit of Dracula X Chronicles yesterday and despite the severe HW limitations it looks great.

I liked the style of the game. Granted, it looked kinda muddy...but is a castle supposed to be vibrantly colored? No, it's a mostly grey fuckin' place.

Ecclesia spiced it up tremendously by having half of the game set in Wallachia, and not entirely in Castlevania itself.

I'll also be reposting the supposed leaker's information on this page. The last bit of information really makes me less doubtful on it being a trickster, now that there's full conformation Fangamer will be involved with the event..

"There may be plans for "social" elements and "freemium" content. Hopefully tomorrow shows otherwise."

"- 2.5D
- Story takes place during Industrial Revolution, church worried that demons will invade if science prevails
- NotShanoa, NotJonathan and NotAlucard are the characters I saw."

"Yamane is in. So is the main programmer from the GBA/DS games. I believe he directed Harmony of Despair."

"From what I've seen, it looks like OoE in 2.5D."

"They're listed as the dev in the document I saw. Don't know if they're just code monkeys or have a say in what goes on." (Referring to Inti Creates)

"From what I was told, drops are used for crafting skills and items. Seemed like Aria/Dawn with a middleman step."

"Miriam's hair is dark brown. Shoulder length. Don't recognize the artist, but reminded me of OoE. Miriam is the protagonist."

"Okay, I'm done for the night. Last bit of info is that Fangamer is doing the merch."

Foffy

Banned
Do we know when they'll be revealing it tomorrow?

Between 2PM and 10 PM EST. They have events planned.

- Speedrun by Romscout, and maybe Mecha Richer
- Kickstarter shown
- A 90 minute interview with Igarashi, done by Colin Moriarty

They have a lot of time to fill.

Foffy

Banned
Please be 2D, not 2.5D...

2.5D might mean 2D sprites with a 3D background, potentially. Which Castlevania did on the DS.

Keyword is might. I'm having a feeling if these rumors are true - and I now think of them as legit - it'll be 2.5D ala Dracula X Chronicles. But I loved that game, so I'm fine with this. That also explains the "You cannot contain me in two dimensions" quote from the teaser site.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Please be 2D, not 2.5D...

2D is the most unlikely thing out of this because of costs. You should adjust your expectations.
2.5D might mean 2D sprites with a 3D background, potentially. Which Castlevania did on the DS.

Keyword is might. I'm having a feeling if these rumors are true - and I now think of them as legit - it'll be 2.5D ala Dracula X Chronicles. But I loved that game, so I'm fine with this. That also explains the "You cannot contain me in two dimensions" quote from the teaser site.

Yeah and it's not like Dracula X Chronicles looked bad, but it could certainly use some cleaning up in a few areas.

- Kickstarter shown

Oh shit, that's awesome. Trying not to get hyped about this, since we have nothing solid to go on yet, but the thought of a true new Castlevania game in spirit...so much potential.

I'd be extremely happy with all of that leak, besides the social/freemium nonsense of course.

2.5D can look amazing if done with care, and yeah Dracula X Chronicles is a surprising looker, so I'm hype if true.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The last bit of information really makes me less doubtful on it being a trickster, now that there's full conformation Fangamer will be involved with the event..

We've known that for a while, haven't we? That stuff Comcept has been sending out all had Fangamer URLs.

bede-x

- Kickstarter shown

Where is this info from and where can we see it?

@MUWANdo

Banned
2D is the most unlikely thing out of this because of costs. You should adjust your expectations.

Sure, but at the same time, they must be acutely aware of how much shit is being flung at MN9 for looking the way it does, so they'd better be damn confident they can satisfy people with 2.5D if they're gonna go that route. (Showing something tangible from day one would help a lot, too.)

Durante

Don't particularly care as long as it looks nice and Dracula X Chronicles looking great is overstating it but the elements flow together well for the most part. If they can do it similarly and fix the shortcomings it should be fine.
I meant "great" considering the HW limitations of PSP. Which won't be a problem for this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I meant "great" considering the HW limitations of PSP. Which won't be a problem for this.

Well, if 3DS is one of the target platforms, that's pretty much the level of graphics we can expect across the board. (Mirror of Fate/HD is probably a better point of reference, I guess.)

Foffy

Banned
I'd be extremely happy with all of that leak, besides the social/freemium nonsense of course.

2.5D can look amazing if done with care, and yeah Dracula X Chronicles is a surprising looker, so I'm hype if true.

I imagine the freemium stuff absolutely confirms a clan/multiplayer system, as the site even hinted at multiplayer. There's literally no solid reason to add that into a game where there's very little reason to "pay to get on top" if it was an offline, single player adventure.

Igarashi has had a history with multiplayer in these kinds of games, too. I believe Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia both had online player shops and cooperative/competitive Boss Rush modes while Dracula X Chronicles had only the latter. Then there's the multiplayer focus in the likes of Judgment and Harmony of Despair.

Where is this info from and where can we see it?

I'll deliver. ;)

- Speedrun by Romscout, and maybe Mecha Richer (I am assuming Mecha Richter as the person linked in the second tweet also drew artwork for him as she did for Romscout and his potential run)
- Kickstarter shown

Granted, this is not an order of events, but things flying about on Twitter that confirm these happenings during the event.

We've known that for a while, haven't we? That stuff Comcept has been sending out all had Fangamer URLs.

Yes, but all we knew was Fangamer was sending out ads. They're also going to probably be on the stream, and their role was explained more clearly by the leaker.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Well sure! I hope they have 3D artists that know what they're doing so it doesn't look ugly like most 2.5D titles.

If they said it looks like OoE I'm guessing Hirooka Masaki might be the character designer.

I imagine the freemium stuff absolutely confirms a clan/multiplayer system, as the site even hinted at multiplayer. There's literally no solid reason to add that into a game where there's very little reason to "pay to get on top" if it was an offline, single player adventure.

Igarashi has had a history with multiplayer in these kinds of games, too. I believe Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia both had online player shops and cooperative/competitive Boss Rush modes while Dracula X Chronicles had only the latter. Then there's the multiplayer focus in the likes of Judgment and Harmony of Despair.

Now all that would be awesome, I'd love to play some multiplayer modes with my friend. Here's hoping it's all good, or at the very least completely optional.

Foffy

Banned
Now all that would be awesome, I'd love to play some multiplayer modes with my friend. Here's hoping it's all good, or at the very least completely optional.

If the main characters are defined - Miriam and Gabel are the only names we have - I doubt that promotes the ideas of clans, no? It would seem really fucking lazy to have everyone have the same character pool fighting each other.

I imagine - but mostly hope, as I have no idea - the multiplayer component allows the player to create a character. That would better explain the clans, expand on the concept of there really being a battle between factions and not Miriam A vs Miriam B, and offer a hell of a lot more depth. Especially if they're adding freemium content to that element. That idea matches the teaser site a hell of a lot more, does it not? Getting unique names, being branched into particular factions, and fighting other folk.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I imagine any competitive elements would be more of a metagame/faction thing, ie passive multiplayer rather than direct real-time competition with individuals.

EVH

Social elements could mean something like Dark Souls, which is ok for me.
The 2.5D thing is something I dont like, as I always loved Castlevania sprites, but I understand that because of costs this is the easiest way to go.

duckroll

"Yamane is in. So is the main programmer from the GBA/DS games. I believe he directed Harmony of Despair."

Shutaro Iida? After Iga left he remained in Konami and he's one of the programming leads on MGSV. He worked on Ground Zeroes and is still credited in Phantom Pain. I guess it's possible he finally decided to leave after Kojima-gate, but with MGSV still in the oven, would he be available to work on the Kickstarter immediately?

Mivey

Shutaro Iida? After Iga left he remained in Konami and he's one of the programming leads on MGSV. He worked on Ground Zeroes and is still credited in Phantom Pain. I guess it's possible he finally decided to leave after Kojima-gate, but with MGSV still in the oven, would he be available to work on the Kickstarter immediately?
Maybe the laws over there are weird, but wouldn't you always be able to just up and leave?
He might not get the same compensation as if they'd fire him, but I don't think can should be a question.

Unless Japan has horrible, horrible labour laws.

duckroll

Either the laws over there are weird, but wouldn't you always be able to just up and leave?
He might not get the same compensation as if they'd fire him, but I don't think can should be a question.

Again, unless Japan has horrible, horrible labour laws.

It's not a matter of "can", it's a matter of "would".

It's not a matter of "can", it's a matter of "would".

The writing's on the wall at konami though, so unless he wants to work on mobile games or budget-reduced mgs games without kojima it's not really that surprising. Only reason to continue at konami is financial stability, and after they ousted kojima even that's uncertain there

That would be perfect. I know some people will disagree, but I've had more than enough pixel art games recently. I just replayed a bit of Dracula X Chronicles yesterday and despite the severe HW limitations it looks great.

Yeah. I bought a UK PSN card (and I'm from US) for the sole purpose of buying Dracula X on the PSTV, and thought it looked good.

So hyped for today! Hopefully Iga doesn't let us down.

EVH

Maybe they are just finished with the programming. Fox Engine has been in development for a long time and knowing that MGSV is almost finished and Phantom Pain was a good way to debug the engine, his job in Kojima Productions is over.

Kozuka

- Kickstarter shown

SOTN Speedrun or what ?

Foffy

Banned
SOTN Speedrun or what ?

One of Igarashi's games. He runs a whole chunk of em. Probably SotN, for sure. That's usually a big game to run at charity events, so if the whole point of this is to market the new game, it makes sense to pick something people love to watch.

It's very likely SotN, since that is the game Romscout is famous for, although he also ran all 3 of the DSvanias as well. If Mecharichter truly is involved, then it's definitely SotN. That's the only CV Mecha plays iirc.
Or maybe it's CVHD haw haw haw.

Gaogaogao

im kind of scared. you would think shovel knight and axiom verge would convince people to make a 2d game instead of 3d, if thats what they can realistically make at a high quality.

@MUWANdo

Banned
im kind of scared. you would think shovel knight and axiom verge would convince people to make a 2d game instead of 3d, if thats what they can realistically make at a high quality.

There's a big difference between the way those games look and the way IGA's 2D games looked, though; it'd be a total regression for him and I don't think the fans would like it.

Foffy

Banned

Those are on budgets and design decisions that put their desire of 2D at a far lower cost than what Castlevania evolved into. You're largely comparing the desire to make an 8-bit 2D game to something far more modern, which this game would have aimed for anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom