• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Release of the Nintendo 64 Classic Mini Include an Unreleased Ocarina of Time Expansion?

Bullet Club

YouTuber Zeltik recently uploaded a video to discuss whether fans can look forward to the release of a Nintendo 64 (N64) Classic Mini alongside an Ocarina of Time expansion this year.

Zeltik opens on the fact that Nintendo applied for a European Buyers Trademark in July 2017, which was finally approved in August 2018. The trademark in question is actually an image of the Nintendo 64 controller, which corresponds to the controller logos of both the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Classic Mini and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) Classic Mini. Therefore, it would make sense that the trademark is representative of a N64 Classic Mini in the making.

He supposes that the N64’s most popular games would appear on the system, including Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, and of course, Ocarina of Time. And then Zeltik shares his hope in the inclusion of an unreleased expansion for Ocarina of Time. He explains that during the development of Ocarina of Time, Nintendo were also developing the disc-based N64DD, which worked by attaching to the original N64 and combining both cartridge and disc capabilities. This would help to create larger and more ambitious games.

However, instead of releasing Ocarina of Time alongside the N64DD, Nintendo created two disc-based expansions of the cartridge-based game which were planned for the peripheral. Unfortunately, the peripheral was a commercial failure, and as such, didn’t release outside Japan. The first expansion, originally known as Zelda Gaiden, was then released as Majora’s Mask, and the second expansion, known as Zelda Ura, wasn’t released at all, despite being very close to production.

Zeltik imagines that Zelda Ura would have been a fleshed out second quest of Ocarina of Time, with new dungeons, better NPC’s (non-player characters), and a bigger overworld. He also believes that the Unicorn Fountain which was cut from Ocarina of Time may have featured in the game. The player would have the opportunity to see Zora’s Domain actually thaw, therefore in Zeltik’s opinion, drawing a proper conclusion to that part of the storyline.

When it comes down to it, Zeltik does think there is a possibility of the Ocarina of Time expansion being included on the roster if the N64 Classic Mini is released. This is because Nintendo has a history of including previously unreleased games on Classic Mini consoles. A prime example of this would be Star Fox 2 releasing on the SNES Classic mini, which had been a fully completed game that never made it to commercial release.

However Zeltik does recognize that elements of Zelda Ura may have been incorporated into the Master Quest, meaning that there may in fact be no second quest to speak of. Either way, Zeltik still hopes to have the opportunity to play Zelda Ura on the N64 Classic Mini.

What do you think of Zeltik’s theory? Would you jump at the opportunity to play the unreleased expansion of Ocarina of Time on the N64 Classic Mini?

Zelda Dungeon

Pallas

I would probably get this if it gets released on the N64 mini, I hope Majoras mask makes the cut too.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Interesting. That would be pretty awesome.

After Nintendo included Star Fox 2 with the SNES mini, I guess anything’s possible.

stranno

Star Fox 2 was in Gold stage when it was cancelled. Even the beta-3, leaked in 2004, was a pre-release version of the game.

No one knows what was the stage of this Ura Zelda thing, maybe it wasnt completed at all. I dont think Nintendo will put any effort if the game wasnt completed back in the day, its Nintendo..

Last edited:

Simply_Bry

Who thinks N64 Mini will be released in the first place? I highly doubt it since Nintendo thinks we only want to play NES and SNES games over and over and over again.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They should have something special to entice people. Nes classic and SNES did. Hopefully it's this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am pretty sure they said back in the day in some interview that Master Quest was indeed the lost Zelda, which was disappointing after the hype for it (mostly created in our own heads). I have no receipts though.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I don’t see what it would be other than the Master Quest, which we already got. Nintendo doesn’t really let work like that go unused (with the notable exception of Star Fox 2, which was finally released via SNES Classic anyway as we all know), so I really doubt there’s a mystery third version of OoT in their vaults somewhere.

They even said they didn’t bother reworking the two cut dungeons from Wind Waker into the HD version because they - or at least, most of the ideas from them - had already been incorporated into Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ura Zelda is exactly Master Quest, so no idea what he is on about. I would expect it to be included, because it would be easy to market as the first release of the proper N64 version (the GCN version had some visual edits to reflect the different button colours) of it.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Considering they released Master Quest and how quickly Majora's Mask came out after Ocarina I don't how there would much in the way of unreleased content. I would imagine anything in development in that time just ended up in Majora's Mask...

ExpandKong

Banned
Have we ever seen evidence that Earthbound 64 was an actual game, not just some sequences collected for a teaser trailer?

It was in development for, what, three years? It’s certainly more than concept art, at least. Still, I don’t think it would be in a complete enough state for them to consider adding to a system like this.

Top Bottom