• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Switch 2 screen be 720p or 1080p

SNG32

Do you think Nintendo will continue with a 720p screen or bump the switch 2 to 1080 or hell maybe 1440p?

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
720p @ 120hz when portable.

1080p when docked.

I just pray it’s oled.

You all forget this is Nintendo. They could launch it with a 480p screen and half of the industry will be like …

you put it where adventure time GIF

Last edited:

Drell

Is more than 720p really necessary in portable mode? It's already HD enough for a portable screen and it will allow the (probably) weak hardware to perform not too badly and have a decent battery life.

What's important for me is that it is able to perform well in 1080p minimum in docked mode.

Zannegan

Is more than 720p really necessary in portable mode? It's already HD enough for a portable screen and it will allow the (probably) weak hardware to perform not too badly and have a decent battery life.

What's important for me is that it is able to perform well in 1080p minimum in docked mode.
I mean, Valve didn't think full 1080 was necessary for the Deck, so 720p is arguably fine in that size. I'd be disappointed though.

With that said, if the screen gets any bigger, I'd say 1080 is a necessary upgrade.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not sure how big of a difference visually 1080p would be on a screen that small. If having 720p and a significant boost in battery is the other option I hope they go for 720p.

If I’m playing something where I want improved visuals I’d never play in handheld mode anyway.

Xyphie

There's no reason to ship with less than than 1080p in the era of temporal reconstruction. It'll give cross-gen and existing Switch games a huge boost by just running them in the docked preset aswell.

1080p is too much for handhelds, no?

It can go either way.

Hopefully its a good screen, OLED or at least LCD with 100% srgb and bright.

720p@60Hz is way more likely than 1080p@120hz for a portable like the Switch, Nintendo should at least make sure VRR is supported tho

CuNi

1080p, but not for gaming.
Most likely for Home-Screen and maybe game UIs, Text etc. but games will still be rendered internally at 720p.
I'd assume 30fps handheld and 60fps docked.

But I'm just pulling stuff out of my ass. I'd assume it'll be something completely different that what I just said.

cireza

It is going to be 1080p to make sure that Switch games don't scale correctly through BC. This will make for an authentic Nintendo experience.

Chastten

Banned
I'm gonna guess 720p. For gaming on a small screen that's good enough for most people and it saves on costs and batterylife.

Codes 208

720p @ 120hz when portable.
yeah this is the rumor i dont believe in. The current consoles are struggling to hit 120fps consistently so I have to imagine why people believe the company that struggles to hit 30-60fps would even bother with specs that lign up around what the steam deck is

Mr Hyde

I hope the screen is at least of the quality of the ROG Ally, with VRR support at 120hz. Very good screen on that one, very crisp and clear. And they need to have OLED from the get go, but will probably cheap out so they can sell a revision further down the road.

magnumpy

I think OLED might not be used to keep costs down. of course there is then the possibility of an "upgraded" OLED model, of course this all just speculation... D:

StereoVsn

I think it will be 1080p. DLSS is to be the big feature and reconstructing from like 480p to 720p has to be pretty painful image quality wise.

Plus decent quality 1080p screens are fairly cheap now days. Of course this is Nintendo so I would t be surprised if it’s 720p again.

winjer

Gold Member
Probably 720p + DLSS. And 1080p + DLSS in docked mode.
Although with dynamic resolution, these values will vary a lot.

Three

I would not at all be surprised if it was still a 720p screen and they concentrated only on upping docked res in games.

Zannegan

I think it will be 1080p. DLSS is to be the big feature and reconstructing from like 480p to 720p has to be pretty painful image quality wise.

Plus decent quality 1080p screens are fairly cheap now days. Of course this is Nintendo so I would t be surprised if it’s 720p again.
If DLSS really is a key feature of the hardware like we assume, then it would make sense to go full HD for the screen. They'd then have the option to render internally at a lower resolution and upscale even with the restricted performance of portable mode.

If we're wrong though, and they're relying on raw performance to hit resolutions, then 720 might be their best bet.

StereoVsn

If DLSS really is a key feature of the hardware like we assume, then it would make sense to go full HD for the screen. They'd then have the option to render internally at a lower resolution and upscale even with the restricted performance of portable mode.

If we're wrong though, and they're relying on raw performance to hit resolutions, then 720 might be their best bet.
Yep, and hopefully DLSS is going to be a big part of the new Switxh.

squarealex

900p portable, 4k docked. Obviously most games won't render at 4k internally.
900p seems to be perfect for portable. Not too low, not too high for ressource.

4K output is easy to predict... But at best, this will be 1440p/30fps internally for simple games.

IDK if DLSS will be here, but at least 900p internally DLSS Quality seems to be "ok" once reconstruct at 4k

Top Bottom