• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Switch 2 screen be 720p or 1080p

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I can see slightly lower than 1080p, no way it would be 720p. Even Apple has moved passed lower resolution screens. New silicon is efficient enough to handle that with good battery life.

720P screen with a 1080p mode where the top and bottom edges have black bars similar to The Order: 1886.

Spider Man Lol GIF

Xellos

1080p, I think Nintendo will want to differentiate it from current Switch. I would still expect most graphically complex games to render 540p-720p and upscale to 1080p.

StormCell

1080p. Why is this even a question? The question is at what refresh rate.
It's a question because screens of that size don't really benefit from higher pixel density. Switch 2 will likely have a 720p screen. It will be better on the battery life. Plus, think of how many games already struggled to run at 720p on OG Switch. It will just make a lot more sense to beef up the hardware while maintaining that 720p portable profile. I expect 1080p and 4K output though.

Astral Dog

I think its 1080p, no problem with 720(as long as all games are full res) but Nintendo does upgrade their screens each generation , heck they went from 240p on 3DS to 480p on Wii U to 720 on Switch

It would be an outlier if Switch 2 screen isn't upgraded, another choice is a random number like 900p but i think it will be 1080p ,from what i heard with the upscaling tech

Mahavastu

yeah this is the rumor i dont believe in. The current consoles are struggling to hit 120fps consistently so I have to imagine why people believe the company that struggles to hit 30-60fps would even bother with specs that lign up around what the steam deck is
think about what kind of advantages VRR for the switch would bring, especially if it works also works if the game is struggling with stable 30fps...
120fps don't have to be reached that often with VRR mode. It is also makes your games butter smooth if you don't... On PS5/XSX it also helps if you "only" reach 70-90fps...

simpatico

Hopefully 1920x1200 (or 1680x1050). 16x9 is a shitty aspect ratio for anything but TV shows.

Last edited:

Codes 208

think about what kind of advantages VRR for the switch would bring, especially if it works also works if the game is struggling with stable 30fps...
120fps don't have to be reached that often with VRR mode. It is also makes your games butter smooth if you don't... On PS5/XSX it also helps if you "only" reach 70-90fps...
Ninteneo doesnt work with advantageous tech though. Again (because i cant emphasize this enough) if this thing ends up being a Nintendo-centric steam deck, even that would be a win.

The only handheld that currently has vrr is the rog ally and even the cheaper iteration of that is still around $600

Not to mention even vrr seems pointless since i imagine only the priority first party games would utilize it (like smash or mario kart) since games like zelda and pokemon can barely hit locked 30fps

Though i find it hilarious people expect 4k out of this, the series s has twice the theoretical power and even that machine struggles to hit 1440p

Mahavastu

Ninteneo doesnt work with advantageous tech though.
it is not that really advanced. Xbox introduced that feature arround 2018 (according to fast google search), similar technologies from AMD and nVidia were available before.

The only handheld that currently has vrr is the rog ally and even the cheaper iteration of that is still around $600
Switch2 is a proprietary hardware, which means Nintendo can add it without caring to much what others do. VRR should be pretty cheap to implement and should make a huge difference on a rather slow platform like switch.
I do not say Nintendo will do it, but if a platform would profit from VRR, then the mobile Switch2 will be it.

Not to mention even vrr seems pointless since i imagine only the priority first party games would utilize it (like smash or mario kart) since games like zelda and pokemon can barely hit locked 30fps
It probably would be system wide and easy to implement for game devs.
And Nintendo should better make sure it also helps with sub 30fps. I know other platforms can not do it for lower fps, but why should it not work a proprietary solution?

Though i find it hilarious people expect 4k out of this, the series s has twice the theoretical power and even that machine struggles to hit 1440p
The box comes with DLSS and I assume for 4k/1440p you need heavy upscaling...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I’m not sure how big of a difference visually 1080p would be on a screen that small. If having 720p and a significant boost in battery is the other option I hope they go for 720p.

If I’m playing something where I want improved visuals I’d never play in handheld mode anyway.
This is where I stand too if it comes to that. I'm not picky with resolution to start and 720p is not that bad. As mentioned, if one wants anything above...just dock it.

Top Bottom