• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Wright says: recreate the Enterprise in Spore

Will Wright: We can't make the Enterprise, but we want to make sure that everybody else can make the Enterprise.

Jenna Chalmers: We had a contest to try and make the top ten sci-fi vehicles with the parts we had.

Ocean Quigley: It's pretty satisfying to fly around in an X-Wing and blow up the Enterprise.

WW: You can end up in an interstellar warfare between the Care Bears and the Klingons.

Taking down the best quotes as they happen.

There's spaceship-building, and they want to make sure that you have all the parts you need to have X-Wings, the Enterprise, and uh apparently the Care Bears.

Look, I don't know.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I want to make a Puddle Jumper plz, Make it happen Will

Haunted

miguel_c_hammer said:
Enterprise? Klingons? wtf is this shit
wtfisthisshitqi4.jpg

oh, the irony.

VALIS

Spore is probably the game I've been the most excited for despite barely knowing what it's all about.

That sentence sucks. You get the drift, though.

Chris Michael said:
wait... what? I thought this was something like an evolution game. Has it changed?

No they're just talking about the final portion of the game which is the space exploration/conquer aspect.

Any news on the DS version?

Careful Will.

City of Heroes was sued by Marvel for simply having the parts in the game to make Wolverine, Captain America, etc.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Kevin said:
Hmm... which one should I create first:

http://www.people.iup.edu/pnwm/comparison.gif

;)

I could swear I've seen an earlier version of that chart. I wonder if the creator has just been adding to it, or if it was somebody else's. Kinda disappointed at the lack of Stargate's Prometheus and Daedalus (maybe some Ha'taks and Wraith Hiveships) but I suppose they might be just dots in comparison. Much like B5's Earth Alliance ships, I'm quite fond of Earth ships being portrayed as ugly flying grey boxes.

MrNibbles

Banned
Not to shit on anyone's parade, but there's no way in hell this game can deliver with all the hype Will Wright is spewing.

I'd like to be disappointed though.

krypt0nian said:
Careful Will.

City of Heroes was sued by Marvel for simply having the parts in the game to make Wolverine, Captain America, etc.

Things ended ok for NCSoft though. Either a settlement or a victory, I can't recall.

Also: I have a total man crush on Will Wright.

Vashu

This game is gonna be great, and I think they want to emphasize the fact that you can create your very own design from all the buildingblocks they provide you, be it organic or huge ugly gray box space-ships. So perhaps they're only talking about it metaphorically, and not litterally. But hey, I can't read minds so I'm not sure.

Hell, what I'd give to read the mind of Will Wright, or Chris Taylor, or Hideo Kojima.... or Shinji Mikami, or Hideki Kamiya... Or Shigeru Miyamato... I wouldn't go into the mind of Hironobu Tagakuchi, I heard it was a cesspool full of insanely floppy and jubbly boobs and harassment. But hey, I can't read minds so what the hell am I babbling about.

But Wright's mind is insanely awesome though, so I'm looking forward to this awesome awesome game. :D

Dr.Hadji

MrNibbles said:
Not to shit on anyone's parade, but there's no way in hell this game can deliver with all the hype Will Wright is spewing.

The game will deliver or will be delayed until it is able to do so. Thats why many believe we won't be seeing the game til 08 (despite what EA may have you to believe).

MrNibbles said:

This is like the 3rd time it's ever been shown publically.

Whose hype again?

When I play Spore, it will be the mission of my peoples to exterminate anything from the universe that isn't a unique design. We will blow any Star Wars/Trek whatever crap out of the skies. Genocide every Wookie/Ewok/Klingon/etc we find too.

Chris Michael said:
wait... what? I thought this was something like an evolution game. Has it changed?

Intelligent Design, actually (since there is both a player who controls/guides the evolution and the game itself was designed by people, not just by random chance). But anyway it's divided up into portions or stages. The later stage has your race colonizing the galaxy, and visiting other stars and planets and such, and probably fighting them.

platypotamus said:
Things ended ok for NCSoft though. Either a settlement or a victory, I can't recall.

Also: I have a total man crush on Will Wright.

NCsoft has to pay Marvel. That's not ending ok in my book.

Vashu

platypotamus said:
When I play Spore, it will be the mission of my peoples to exterminate anything from the universe that isn't a unique design. We will blow any Star Wars/Trek whatever crap out of the skies. Genocide every Wookie/Ewok/Klingon/etc we find too.

I'll contact you when the game comes out, for I would like to join you in your holy crusade through the galaxy. Are Cylon's acceptable btw? :p

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Hey Cryptic got the Marvel MMO gig because of CoH. I'd call it a wash.

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
NCsoft has to pay Marvel. That's not ending ok in my book.

They do? Last I heard, the details of that settlement were under an NDA. Did someone leak something concrete, or are you speculating?

As far as Spore goes, it might be for the best if the ship-creation feature does lead to lawsuits. EA has the resources to fight an extended legal battle, and it'd be nice to see a precedent established for future cases like this.

Tellaerin said:
They do? Last I heard, the details of that settlement were under an NDA. Did someone leak something concrete, or are you speculating?

:lol Everyone is a hard fact literalist now. Of course they paid up. Do you think they asked for an apology?

White Man

MrNibbles said:

Will Wright is known for delivering on his hype, though.

PS Sign me up for a Tardis, please.

Tellaerin

krypt0nian said:
:lol Everyone is a hard fact literalist now. Of course they paid up. Do you think they asked for an apology?

Who knows? The way IP law's structured, Marvel was obligated to pursue the case to protect their marks. With the NDA, there's no telling if the settlement was just a token affair, if it was a one-time deal or if there's ongoing payment involved (that's what it sounded like you were suggesting, that NCsoft has to pay Marvel on an ongoing basis), or what else they may have demanded in addition to/in place of a monetary settlement. (I'm tempted to think that having Cryptic work on the Marvel MMO factors into the settlement somehow, personally, but odds are we'll never know.)

Top Bottom