• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

William Shatner Says Star Trek Wouldn't Exist Without Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not wrong and this isn't a big revelation. Star Wars spawned and revived a lot of interest in scifi. Both franchises have influenced the genre and each other in major ways.

Star Wars didn't create Trek but it certainly gave it a jumpstart in a time when it wasnt doing so well. It very well could have faded away.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was very directly put into production as a response to the popularity of Star Wars in 1977. TMP made the brand relevant in the mainstream again, rather than just something for a (relatively) small group of fans. Shatner isn't wrong.

So as I said in my latter point, made the brand relevant. Star Trek did 'exist' before Star Wars.

I've enjoyed only a handful of the Star Trek movies, for me the franchise at its core is what is done on television. Any ways, I've also never understood the fandom rivalry between the two, they are very different franchises with different appeals, they only share a common theme of space and spaceships. It's sort of like if there was a Game of Thrones vs The Lord of the Rings fandom rivalry or something.

I feel like it's more like the TES vs. Souls rivalry: they share a medieval setting and basic fantasy tropes, but otherwise are largely dissimilar in terms of gameplay, story, tone, and themes.

Stargate > Star Trek/Wars anyway

I mean, I like Stargate but...
W4ZZp.gif

Jackpot

Banned
This has been well-known for decades. Like literally since they uncancelled it. Old execs have been very open in the countless documentaries that after Star Wars they went "what else has Star in it?" and gave Trek a reprieve. Then Phase 2 got turned into a film. Website fishing for clicks.

Boem

Well yeah but who resurrected it better, the way Star Wars resurrected Star Trek TOS movies, or the way Star Trek 2007 did Star Wars ep 7? Tell me that huh.

I'm fairly certain Star Wars would have come back anyway, even if the new Star Trek movies didn't happen. Star Wars was still making tons of money through it's tv stuff, games and merchandising. The Disney deal was rumored and negotiated for years before Star Trek '07 happened.

Might not have been JJ Abrams doing it though, if it wasn't for him doing Trek before it.

Generations was kinda 'meh', wasn't it?

First ST movie I saw in the theaters though after watching all of TNG.

William Shatner is awesome though :)

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I've enjoyed only a handful of the Star Trek movies, for me the franchise at its core is what is done on television. Any ways, I've also never understood the fandom rivalry between the two, they are very different franchises with different appeals, they only share a common theme of space and spaceships. It's sort of like if there was a Game of Thrones vs The Lord of the Rings fandom rivalry or something.

I agree, as for the comparison I don't think there would be that much comparison talks if one didn't have "Star" in it's Title. I love both.

Without Star Trek science fiction wouldn't have been originally popularised as mass entertainment that made Star Wars viable. Without Star Wars we wouldn't have seen a resurgence in science fiction that allowed Star Trek to come back.

Hell, without the Star Trek reboot I don't think Disney would have aggressively sought out the idea of rebooting Star Wars.

They need each other to survive.

Bluth54

Without Star Trek science fiction wouldn't have been originally popularised as mass entertainment that made Star Wars viable. Without Star Wars we wouldn't have seen a resurgence in science fiction that allowed Star Trek to come back.

Hell, without the Star Trek reboot I don't think Disney would have aggressively sought out the idea of rebooting Star Wars.

They need each other to survive.

I would agree with you about everything but Disney needing to see the success of the Star Trek reboot to do Star Wars, even if the Star Trek reboot series never existed I have no doubt they would of still bought the Star Wars franchise and made movies.

Maybe he meant that Star Trek would not have continued without the popularity of Star Wars?

I mean, Star Trek was having a hard time getting off the ground with Phase II. But the popularity of Star Wars put Paramount in a position to to take a shot at the Motion Picture. Which lead to many more sequels, spin off TV shows and a rebooted movie franchise. Though it is interesting to note that the 1979 Motion Picture was mostly inspired by Space Odyssey 2001. Though the second movie took more of a Star Wars approach with Wrath of Khan, and ILM even did the effects for it.

Star Trek's fandom after its cancellation and through the '70s was sort of the prototype for modern fandoms.

But no, you can't carry a franchise on fanboys alone. (Which is something everyone who screeches "But what about my CHILDHOOD?" needs to learn.)

Star Trek conventions were Comic-Con before Comic-Con was cool. Just about everything that you can think of that came out of Star Trek conventions got assimilated into modern fandom culture. Cos play, panels, cast and crew signings/ ask me anythings, and so on. The fan base did keep Star Trek alive in the 1970's, but Star Wars made it a viable option again.

FyreWulff

Why the hell wasn't Shatner in the 50th anniversary movie (Beyond) anyway? Good god that sounds like a marketing masterpiece

Anyway the man's mostly right. Plus we wouldn't have gotten Galaxy Quest.

Pretty sure the idea of Shatner coming back for the reboot was floated, he's just too difficult to work with and wouldn't do a relatively small number of scenes like Nimoy did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom