• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Xbox One controller drivers.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tried out a few games tonight with an Xbox One controller via Bluetooth:

Slain!
Killing Floor
Assault Android Cactus
Blood Alloy: Reborn
Killer Instinct

All worked perfectly. I'll post back again if anything changes.

Does RB/LB work for you in steam big picture mode?

I have the Bluetooth one and it went on the fritz there on Wednesday. Uninstalled pretty much everything it used and plugged it in with USB. Downloaded the firmware update through the Xbox Accessories app and then paired the Bluetooth and it's working well.

Parsnip

Wired seems to work fine here, no double xinput devices.

On wireless with the official dongle, I'm getting double input in bpm and antimicro, no controllers at all in unity games.

When I get home I'm going to try starting the controller after launching the games to see if that makes a difference, maybe check if there are firmware updates.

My controller is the second revision with a headphone jack.

No firmware update, firmware version here is 2.3.2385.0.

Can confirm that the workaround for Unity games in which you start the controller after you launch the game seems to work in Gone Home, but not in Ittle Dew.

Mihos

Gold Member
I had to resynch my elite controller, but it seems to be working fine for me. Might just be the games I am playing though.

Dolobill

I have the Bluetooth one and it went on the fritz there on Wednesday. Uninstalled pretty much everything it used and plugged it in with USB. Downloaded the firmware update through the Xbox Accessories app and then paired the Bluetooth and it's working well.

I think I did all of this and I had it working properly at one point on Wednesday, but when I booted my pc again on Thursday I was having the same problems again.

Moz

I have the same problem. Two controllers detected in Steam, double inputs on the d-pad. Dragon's Dogma unplayable (LT swivels the camera right and reverts to keyboard controls while pressed for example).

I reinstalled the driver and that didn't work. I updated the firmware and that didn't work.

I get the same problem whether I'm wired via USB or wireless using the dongle.

Need fix so I can get my Dragon's Dogma fix :(

I think I did all of this and I had it working properly at one point on Wednesday, but when I booted my pc again on Thursday I was having the same problems again.
For real? Odd. I've had the controller since last Friday (I'm on insider so I've had the anniversary update since then too) and Wednesday it borked up. It seems to be properly installed for me now. In Bluetooth settings before Wednesday it was showing the name as "Xbox One Wireless Controller xxxxxx" where the X's were a long item key I guess. Since redoing it like I said the key is ko longer there, so I assume there was some driver issue.

Although I do still get a C++ visual runtime error everything I connect it.

Branson

Seems like I've heard a lot of issues with Win 10 anniversary update. I guess I'm glad I didn't have the space to update it on my SSD with it yet.

Breaks?

It was never damned fixed. I STILL have to unplug and replug the wireless adapter in for it to sync. Every. Single. Time.

I'm fed up with it.

This. Constantly having to reattach the adapter, plus random disconnects. MS doesn't give a fuck, or this shit would have been fixed an eternity ago.

JohngPR

Whatever it is, it's definitely tied to the new Windows Anniversary Update. Rolled back using recovery and my problems (shows controller twice, Steam BGM going haywire) went away.

It looks like there might be an issue with how Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) detects game controllers in general. I found this thread on Reddit covering an issue with Steam Controller in Big Picture and thought it might be relevant to those having issues with the Xbox One controller in Big Picture.

Can someone try this workaround and report back?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr...windows_10_anniversary_update_may_lead_to_sc/

If this workaround is effective, I'll be happy to forward this on as a bug.

knerl

For me the update finally fixed the previous issues with the Xbox One Controller + the wireless adapter. Previously certain games would register the triggers as other random buttons on the controller. Seems to be mostly Unity based games, but even some games using other engines were affected and this was down to a MS driver. TOOK AGES for them to fix it. Not to mention acknowledge the issue.

My XBOX One controller is working perfectly on this update, I was getting worried so I tried the games that some are having issues with like Dragons Dogma and its fine, Steam Big Picture Mode is only showing one controller.

It is weird that some are fine while others aren't, this update probably should of been tested a bit more.

My XBOX One controller is working perfectly on this update, I was getting worried so I tried the games that some are having issues with like Dragons Dogma and its fine, Steam Big Picture Mode is only showing one controller.

It is weird that some are fine while others aren't, this update probably should of been tested a bit more.

Can you walk and look up and down at the same time in DD?

Can you walk and look up and down at the same time in DD?

I just tested it out for you and yes I can walk/run and look up/down at the same time, just like before the Anniversary update.

I don't want to jinx myself but I think I got lucky this time, this update is a hit or miss for many people.

Dolobill

For real? Odd. I've had the controller since last Friday (I'm on insider so I've had the anniversary update since then too) and Wednesday it borked up. It seems to be properly installed for me now. In Bluetooth settings before Wednesday it was showing the name as "Xbox One Wireless Controller xxxxxx" where the X's were a long item key I guess. Since redoing it like I said the key is ko longer there, so I assume there was some driver issue.

Although I do still get a C++ visual runtime error everything I connect it.

I had that alpha-numeric key showing up too until I did the Anniversary update. The key is currently gone but my controls are still screwed.

R3TRODYCE

Same issues here; I'm rolling back to the previous W10 build.

Oh Microsoft...I wish I could avoid your products.

Dolobill

Did you try the workaround I posted above?

I'm honestly willing to file a bug report on this if people here are actually interested in fixing the problem.

That workaround only applies to Steam Controllers. You can't add Xbox controllers the same way this workaround describes adding a Steam Controller.

That workaround only applies to Steam Controllers. You can't add Xbox controllers the same way this workaround describes adding a Steam Controller.

Not true. Game controllers like Xbox One wired show up in Device Manager as a "HID-compliant game controller". The instructions in the Reddit article could potentially apply to any controller.

Head.spawn

Does RB/LB work for you in steam big picture mode?

Yep. Everything is working fine over here. The only thing I had to do with my controller after updating to Anniv... was to re-PAIR my Bluetooth connection with the controller.

Also, no double inputs either:

z4faikC.png

Dolobill

Not true. Game controllers like Xbox One wired show up in Device Manager as a "HID-compliant game controller". The instructions in the Reddit article could potentially apply to any controller.

You can disable from device manager, yes. Disabling and enabling in Device Manager does not solve the problem. The Reddit article says to disable the controller and then add it through Steam, which is not possible using an Xbox controller.

You can disable from device manager, yes. Disabling and enabling in Device Manager does not solve the problem. The Reddit article says to disable the controller and then add it through Steam, which is not possible using an Xbox controller.

Gotcha, that's what I was looking for. I'm trying to find out if this is a driver issue or a Steam API issue.

Dolobill

I haven't tested in many games, but people are reporting issues in certain games, particularly Dragon's Dogma. My assumption is that it is not a Steam issue if other applications (such as Dragon's Dogma) are now having control issues as well.

Here's my Steam input devices if anyone is interested. I'm connected over Bluetooth as I mentioned earlier. If I connect via USB instead of Bluetooth, I will have two identical "XInput Controller" devices listed.

Head.spawn

Just tried my Elite controller via Wireless Adapter with Steam Big Picture and I'm getting Doubled inputs and B-button and Lb/Rb are not functioning. B-button, instead of just going back as normal is acting more like the Home-button.

Tried Elite via USB connection and getting those same results.

Tried with a standard Xbox One controller w/USB and Wireless Dongle and got the same results.

Tried New Xbox One S controller via USB and it worked perfectly.

Tried New Xbox One S controller via Wireless Dongle Adapter and it is giving me the same results as the Elite and standard controllers.

Already pointed out that the S controller via Bluetooth is working perfectly as well.
----------
Fun stuff. Luckily I have the new controller or else I'd be pissed. Hopefully those affected with issues get this fixed asap.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just tried my Elite controller via Wireless Adapter with Steam Big Picture and I'm getting Doubled inputs and B-button and Lb/Rb are not functioning. B-button, instead of just going back as normal is acting more like the Home-button.

Tried Elite via USB connection and getting those same results.

Tried with a standard Xbox One controller w/USB and Wireless Dongle and got the same results.

Tried New Xbox One S controller via USB and it worked perfectly.

Tried New Xbox One S controller via Wireless Dongle Adapter and it is giving me the same results as the Elite and standard controllers.

Already pointed out that the S controller via Bluetooth is working perfectly as well.
----------
Fun stuff. Luckily I have the new controller or else I'd be pissed. Hopefully those affected with issues get this fixed asap.

I have the new controller, tried with dongle and bluetooth, both are broken. Also updated the controller firmware.

ugh

Grassy

Breaks?

It was never damned fixed. I STILL have to unplug and replug the wireless adapter in for it to sync. Every. Single. Time.

I'm fed up with it.

Fuck, I have this exact problem with my Elite wireless. I thought it was fixed with the anniversary update but nope, still getting this shit every time I restart my PC:

fuckuqpsue.jpg

After the Anniversary update I had to reinstall the driver and change the adapter from a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 port to get it working, but it's still fucking up...

It's kind of amazing how all over the place this is.

Faulty drivers can cause all sorts of weird issues. Some will experience them, others won't.

Thankfully though, since it appears to be a driver issue, it can be patched very easily by Microsoft over Windows Update.

mcrommert

Banned
I would I've to know how much of this comes down to garbage motherboards and use hubs...had a bad hub that would always crap out...switched to a good usb 3 hub...never any issues

Parsnip

Faulty drivers can cause all sorts of weird issues. Some will experience them, others won't.

Thankfully though, since it appears to be a driver issue, it can be patched very easily by Microsoft over Windows Update.

Considering it took them over a year to address the issues with the previous version of the driver (primarily the problem that was plaguing FF13/13-2 and wide range of Unity games), I guess we'll wait for the two year anniversary.

I just did a completely fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update from media, with nothing installed but graphics drivers, the Xbox One controller drivers, and Steam to test this out. I can confirm I am getting double input in Steam Big Picture and Dragon's Dogma with the controller whether wired or wirelessly (which is an original revision of the controller with latest firmware via Xbox Accessories app).

Edit: Hopefully Microsoft does something about this faulty driver situation...

Head.spawn

I have the new controller, tried with dongle and bluetooth, both are broken. Also updated the controller firmware.

ugh

Have you tried rolling the controller driver back to the previous? Someone suggested it above and if mine weren't working right now, I'd totally try it.

Just saw this on that Xbox Support Forum linked earlier.

Edit: Doesn't seem to work for me. Must be incompatible with the Bluetooth controllers.

YES! this fixed it for me

If you have an elite and are connecting wireless, there is no xinput device at first

you have to plug in the usb cable to your controller, then it will show up, then you can do this. after that, everything is working again for me

My wireless Xbox One controller can connect directly to my computer's bluetooth thingy without an adapter and it is working fine. Try using it without the adapter? If you're running Windows 10 the adapters aren't needed any more for Xbone controllers I think.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
My wireless Xbox One controller can connect directly to my computer's bluetooth thingy without an adapter and it is working fine. Try using it without the adapter? If you're running Windows 10 the adapters aren't needed any more for Xbone controllers I think.

the new xbox one controllers have bluetooth (the one that comes with the S and the custom colour ones). the older ones still need the dongle.

Top Bottom