• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 Tablet PC Gaming Results Thread

Thanks for this thread. I have a samsung ativ500t that has the same specs as that Asus and I never even botgered trying to run stuff cuz I just didnt think anything would work but seeing somethings do run fine I may give some things a shot.

Nice video.

Is the frame counter (I'm assuming that's what the green numbers on the left hand corner of the screen are) accurate?

Can the Miix really run FC2 at 130 FPS without minimal drops? Looks too good to be true lol.

Ehh, the one in front of the 30 is actually a watermark of some sort.

Can anyone tell me how WoW and Diablo 3 run on the T100? I've been looking for impressions but all I seem to find are splash top impressions. Thanks!

Calmine

Can anyone tell me how WoW and Diablo 3 run on the T100? I've been looking for impressions but all I seem to find are splash top impressions. Thanks!

I've seen a couple of vids of both games running. WoW plays on Low I think and is playable but will chug in crowded area's. Diablo 3 also plays-ish but with basically everything off including shadows to get about 20fps.

kmfdmpig

Diablo 3 (on lowest res + lowest settings) is playable. It's not the greatest experience, but it's very playable.

Tablet: Asus T100 (Atom Z3740 processor, 2GB RAM)

Games:

1. FTL Enhanced Edition installed on internal memory

Results: Full screen. 70-80 fps.

Verdict: Plays great.

2. Medal of Honor War Chest (GOG version) installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Results: 1024x768 resolution, all effects maxed, textures set to highest. 30-90 fps, mainly hovering in the 40-50 fps range.

3. Silent Storm Gold Edition (GOG version) installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Results: 1024x768 resolution, default settings. 30-40 fps zoomed out, 60 fps zoomed in.

4. Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Results: 1368x768 resolution, Low settings, standard textures. 35-50 fps, mostly in the 40-45 range. Drops to 30 on crash cinematics.

5. Eldritch installed on internal memory

Results: 1366x768 resolution, full settings. 30-40 fps in the dungeons, 50-60 fps in the library.

6. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 & Earned in Blood installed on external USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Results: Kinda disappointed with the performance here, especially after the results in other, newer games. They're really only playable at 800x600 and 640x480, but at those resolutions you can bump up the settings. 25-40 fps at either resolution. Any higher res dips into the teens quite often.

Verdict: Passable at lower resolutions.

xemumanic

I figured the T100 would be the better performer vs the DV8P (which I bought) but even if it wasn't per se (for example if they were even) the T100 is better because of the form factor, and because it has a full size USB port, both because of the keyboard dock.

I'll replace my DV8P as soon as this holiday, since they've removed the cost of Windows for 9" or lower display devices (thankfully without Bing lock-in as was rumored), and the fast progress of mobile technology. But most of all, because I want a 1080p screen, and I look at the Lenovo Thinkpad 8 with envy because of it.

Steam in-home streaming makes much of the performance debate moot in many scenarios too.

Here's something special: Batman Arkham City on my Miix 2 8", running about as good as it does on Wii U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-sBUnKyqg&feature=youtu.be

I'm playing it using the dualshock 4 controller.

Another nice video. The Miix 2 could probably handle most other UE3 games with the same settings, if not higher. I recall that Arkham City had FPS chugging issues when flying around the world map, especially in the pre-Steam, GFWL versions which had pervasive Securom that affected performance.

Another nice video. The Miix 2 could probably handle most other UE3 games with the same settings, if not higher. I recall that Arkham City had FPS chugging issues when flying around the world map, especially in the pre-Steam, GFWL versions which had pervasive Securom that affected performance.

After recording the video I reduced the shadows setting manually to 256 bits, down from 512, and that bought another ~2fps, with little visual impact.

The video recording is of the Steam demo version of the game, so no SecureRom nonsense here.

The key to actually being able to play games on this little marvel, and something most folks making videos of Atom Baytrail tablets playing games fail to realize, is that you need to play modern games at 640x480, because the video chip simply doesn't have the sort of pixel fill-rate to render any higher. I've noticed that even an increase to 800x600 results in a considerable cut to the frame-rate.

Orayn

Now that this thread has been bumped, I'd like to restate my desire for some tweaks to Hearthstone: I want "low" graphics settings without the 30 FPS cap. I'm sure I could run at or near 60 on my T100, but medium and high settings push the poor little GPU just enough that I have no way of knowing.

So I got a lenovo miix 2 8" 64gb and I'm having huge issues while trying to game in it. I installed borderlands 2 p, dead space 2 and batman arkham asylum and all failed to run. Is my tablet just broken? I just don't know what's wrong. Everyone of them crashes on boot. They are all steam games and I'm running off the original factory install of windows 8.1.

Should I just return it at this point and get another? I've tried everything.

Probably just doesn't have the grunt to run those games. These Atom processors can run some surprising stuff, but they're still pretty weak in comparison to a desktop CPU.

Probably just doesn't have the grunt to run those games. These Atom processors can run some surprising stuff, but they're still pretty weak in comparison to a desktop CPU.

Not running them well is one thing, crashing on boot is another. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

I just got my Dell V8P last Thursday ($199) mainly for work, but I've tried a few Steam games on it so far:

Puzzle Quest 2 - Works fine in touch, but you have to hold and release on abilities to get a description if you don't remember what they are. Not a deal-killer.

Puzzle Quest Galactrix - Works fine in touch, same ability description problem as PQ2.

Bookworm Adventures - Runs great in windowed mode, runs like ass full-screen, probably due to the scaling it has to do since that game is older.

I'm pretty impressed with the tablet's performance overall, though. Great battery life. It's going to be very handy for work as I'm tired of lugging my huge laptop around when I have to go onsite and I need Windows. Once I get my keyboard case I intend to just throw the whole thing in my tool bag.

Ponn

Banned
I'm considering very much getting an Asus T100 (The one on Amazon for $350). I'm not looking to do hardcore gaming but if anyone that has one could post results for X-com Enemy Unknown and the new version of Age of Mythology would be much appreciated.

a.wd

I have the t100, and it is a genuinely amazing machine. The battery is unreal, it will happily go a day streaming movies off the pc upstairs connected to a bluetooth keyboard and outputting 1080p to the big TV downstairs (we did all the Avengers films up to the Avengers before it needed a charge!) it plays games off steam, half life, left for dead etc at decent frame rate.

Also comes with office for free and once you get used to it windows 8 is not that bad. Also it is the only OS that will preview NEF files by default, Tbh it is a little beast of a system and now I am really interested in the PS2 emulation! Does anyone have any setup tips?

I got my replacement Miix 2 8 in and it's doing the same thing with crashing on loading Borderlands 2 from Steam. Its the "Fatal Error!" crash where it says it can't find all sorts of files. Looking around online and trying some fixes hasn't helped. Dead Space 2 is also crashing on load, no errors given.

I'd love to keep this tablet if people have some suggestions on how to solve these issues, but otherwise I'm just going to try the Dell Venue Pro 8, seems like people are having way more success with that 8" tablet.

I just ordered a usb adapter so I can use a M/KB on my venue 8 pro. The only game I've played a decent amount on there is Hearthstone and it works pretty good. I hope they start making touch-optimized controls for these pc games though. I assume the touch controls for HS are a lot better on the ipad than they are on Windows 8, it's a little wonky as someone said earlier in this thread.

I'm really hoping MS will release a $200 version of the surface pro to compete with these devices and have the nice magnetic keyboard and stuff. That's the next laptop I would buy if they made it.

louiedog

I just got the Asus t100 refresh with the z3775 processor and I'm really happy with this thing.

The Steam version of Pinball FX2 works great with touch and while holding it in portrait orientation which gives a great view of the table.

Deus Ex: The Fall runs beautifully and will often go into triple digits with vsync and AA turned off. I don't think I ever saw it go below 70 during my brief test. With AA on it'll hang out in the 40-50 fps range.

Spacebase DF-9 runs great and stayed pretty steadily at 30 fps when I played. Touch works great, but it's still in early access and there aren't enough controls to fully play it without the dock. Hopefully that happens in a future version because it would make a great mobile game.

Cosmic DJ is a music game based on sequencing and works great with touch. The framerate was very playable, though would sometimes dip below 30.

Unfortunately Transistor ran poorly. The turn based combat makes it doable, but I really wouldn't suggest it.

I'm really impressed with the hardware. I've got full windows running here on a machine with no fan and I can watch Giant Bomb videos snapped to one side while browsing the web and barely putting a dent in the battery or even making the thing warm.

I just got the Asus t100 refresh with the z3775 processor and I'm really happy with this thing.

Unfortunately Transistor ran poorly. The turn based combat makes it doable, but I really wouldn't suggest it.

That's not a surprise, the game chugs on full fleged laptops like mine (granted mine is a 5+ year old Core 2 system, but still twice as powerful as yours, according to Passmark). Have you tried running it at the absolute lowest resolution that your device supports?

There's also the matter of forced double buffered Vsync that the game employs which cuts FPS tremendously if your system can't sustain 60/30 FPS to 30/20/15 FPS.

Disable Vsync for better performance by using the following launch argument in Steam:-

Code:
 /SwapInterval=0

louiedog

That's not a surprise, the game chugs on full fleged laptops like mine (granted mine is a 5+ year old Core 2 system, but still twice as powerful as yours, according to Passmark). Have you tried running it at the absolute lowest resolution that your device supports?

There's also the matter of forced double buffered Vsync that the game employs which cuts FPS tremendously if your system can't sustain 60/30 FPS to 30/20/15 FPS.

Disable Vsync for better performance by using the following launch argument in Steam:-

Code:
 /SwapInterval=0

Thanks for the tips. I fortunately have a nice desktop and have completed the game, but I'd like to try playing some NG+ during an upcoming trip.

I got my replacement Miix 2 8 in and it's doing the same thing with crashing on loading Borderlands 2 from Steam. Its the "Fatal Error!" crash where it says it can't find all sorts of files. Looking around online and trying some fixes hasn't helped. Dead Space 2 is also crashing on load, no errors given.

I'd love to keep this tablet if people have some suggestions on how to solve these issues, but otherwise I'm just going to try the Dell Venue Pro 8, seems like people are having way more success with that 8" tablet.

I'm having the same issues with my Miix. I can't get SHIT to run. Guacamelee crashes on boot. Geometry Wars stutters like crazy. FTL works but god forbid you don't have a mouse on hand...

SighFight

Reviving this old but very interesting thread.

I am currently thinking about buying a Lenovo Yoga 2 10 tablet with windows 8.1. It runs on the Atom Z3745 which seems to be very similar to the 3740 discussed in this thread but the GPU is slightly higher clocked (Z3745).

From this thread it seems that the chip is ok for some light games (Torchlight etc). Has someone experienced any improvement with last years drivers? And by accident does someone already have the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with windows? With the Venue 8 pro or this how is the performance with GIMP and stuff?

Appreciate any comment!

Top Bottom