• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokyo Raven 15

Well I do like the new OP, which really hasn't happened lately.

Kinda weird that it feels they just skipped ahead into this arc. No idea how I feel about it either.

Kazzy

I've put in maybe 100 hours into Persona 4 Golden and I think the Persona 4 anime is garbage.

I think it's passable,but it doesn't really succeed at retelling that story, no. It's more of just a curiosity for fans, and there are some actually clever touches buried in there.

The animation is unequivocally horrible, I think everyone can agree.

They should make a GuP spinoff with planes. Girls und Luftfahrzeug

There you go
RMHqIBw.jpg

Nah kidding,but the author is Takeshi Nogami btw

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gundam Build Fighters 15

AOTY. What a fucking badass and awesome episode. That fight was just completely awesome. The most hot blooded kids anime that ever lived and the best Gundam TV series ever made. This show is unbelievably great.

Kazzy

[Yamato 2199]
LaitrvH.jpg

I can’t offer any parallels with other sci-fi luminaries, because quite frankly, it’s not a genre that particularly interests me all that much. Though on the occasions that it has, it tends to be something worthwhile. Yamato is one such exception.

Yes, the fervor surrounding the hyperbole of the show was more detrimental than helpful in pushing me towards it - but now, being on the other side of that, I can empathize with that perspective. It’s something that truly succeeds at what it sets out to do, and with there being scant few shows that manage that task, it’d be a shame to see it slip by the wayside.

Perception can be scary, and for all that aforementioned cheer-leading around Yamato, it’d be really easy to carry some baggage into watching this as a result. For those who still haven’t made the leap, I want to at least make an attempt to waylay those fears. It isn’t that Yamato exists as some obtuse, auteur piece of work, no – it works because it operates within a relatively simple framework. It’s a journey to save Earth, and the Yamato is the figurative and literal symbol of that. Its crew is the heart of the show, and how they all interact, whether it’s towards each other, or their objective is always propelled by their own individual personalities. Atmosphere is key, and the crew is the cohesiveness that binds all that together.

Ostensibly, yes, it’s about a handful of characters, but I wouldn’t have carried nearly as much emotional investment, were the ensemble cast not sufficiently fleshed out, too. It doesn’t really do this through an absurd amount of screen time for each player, nor does it have to, because enough is conveyed (through both the script and the direction) to carry that intent through. There’s no feeling that this group of people remain static, they all have their own particular machinations and reasons for being, some of which transpire entirely in the background. It goes to show that not everything necessarily has to be seeded and foreshadowed far in advance, because if it’s conveyed with a deft touch, it’s easy to accept changes in character. It’s a real example of characterization through economy - succinct and satisfying.

For the sake of offering a counterbalance to this gushing, if I had to highlight a fault, that’d be with the Gamilas themselves. There are a good enemy, though I would have liked to see more about their particular ideology, as they are a little too analogous to humans to really seem like an enigmatic threat . I’d also extend this to Desler himself. Though it’s quite clear why he’s doing what he’s doing, it’s still quite a peculiar dichotomy it raises, when he displays such relish in committing those various atrocities. His back-story suggests that he seems conflicted about his conquest, though much of his personality seems contrary to this fact. Perhaps it is a case of him losing himself amidst all the madness, but its one aspect that feels conspicuously abrupt in a show that otherwise isn’t. It would have been interesting to have seen more direct parallels drawn between them and Humanity. The “We’re not so different, you and I” rhetoric could have done with more depth. It’s already an aspect which has been discussed in a good deal of detail, though clearly is something that has been left open to confusion, rather than interpretation.

My only other real grievance is the ending, which I thought should have simply let the characters interact and, you know...breathe! It was such a frantic journey that preceded the finale, that I would have welcomed that calm. As it was, it veered into laying on the sentiment a little too thickly - coupled with the overall fatigue of everything being in absolutely dire straits, it softened the finale, just a tad. Yamato, you already had me! I probably couldn’t have cared more about that cast of characters by that point, so let me spend at least some moments of respite with them. That said, any quibbles I have are minor, and overall, it was an extremely satisfying journey.

Summary: Yamato 2199 is a sumptuous, Faberge egg of anime. It’s to be savored.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 92-93

Long Live The Queen

....And this totally wasn't creepy at all.

Gon... what.. have you been "doing" before becoming a hunter? Wooow.

Spoilers, Palm actually looks decent when she's going out for a date. Dat Yandere. Gon has her wrapped around his finger

cajunator

Banned
Yo we talkin' IM@S rankings? 'Cause I got a text file saved here...

Best tier
Ritsuko

Best if you don't count Ritsuko as an idol, in which case fuck you tier
Chihaya
Iori
Makoto

Best in spite of having the worst focus episode tier
Hibiki

Pretty good tier
Haruka
Azusa
Yayoi
Otonashi

Meh tier
Takane
Ami
Mami

Are you even IN this show tier
Yukiho

I wish you WEREN'T in this show tier
Miki

Makoto is ranked appropriately. Takane way too low.

Watamote 1-6

It's funny but I can't help but feel so much pity for the main character. You can't help but root for her.

That was the general consensus but depending on how much people could relate they ever loved or loathed it.

yami4ct

Space Battleship Yamato 17

I liked this episode. I liked this episode a lot. They were really able to flesh out some of the older characters here and I loved all the stuff with Kodai's brother. Seeing earth at the beginning of the war really helped flesh the world out in an interesting way. I have to say they fooled me with the
Sanada death flags. I was all prepared for him to die. Really glad he didn't, as this episode really made me like the character a lot
. Not sure about all the stuff they're revealing about Iscander yet. Some of its getting a bit weird. Still, the show is every bit living up to the hype for me. So good.

So guys, best of the new season so far?

I say Buddy Complex and Pilot's Love Song

Gotta give it to Tonari no Seki Kun for comedy, followed closely by Seitokai Yakuindomo.

As to the action and serious category it's hard to decide as these take longer to see their potential. Hamatora or Noragami could be in the lead at any second now, though the one with the loli taking over the world has a LOT of hidden potential depending how it goes.

As to the most beautifully animated, Space Dandy. It's also enjoyable enough so far and definitely in the good tier, it just hasn't been what I expected. I wasn't expecting Dandy to have almost no skills. Anime Johnny Bravo indeed.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 95

Yep, Gon's pissed.... and I still think that's an understatement here.

What can possibly go wrong here?
EVERYTHING

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 13

that op. Just KILL IT.
Koko is very forgiving. Koko is still absolutely adorable. I could watch her attempt to cook all day.
Lack of you know who is refreshing.

Golden Time 14

Chinami with that hair style is hnnnnnnnngh.
Koko is legit insane and adorable and I love her.
Also swimsuits. These two episodes have lacked the element I hate and as a result are very tolerable.

Tenchi GXP Dub 5

Well this was a fairly unfunny episode outside of maybe the last 90 seconds. Even the surprise
BETRAYALATHON
and out of nowhere swerve did nothing for me. Only at the end when Seina's bad luck caused
an unknown computer virus no one had ever seen before
and Kirkyo showed up did the show make me giggle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did he post something NSFW?
You could say that. lol

---

FFNAiUHl.jpg

Guys, if you enjoyed WataMote and want a more serious take on what life would be like if you tried to shun the outside world and lived in a society where you could have a relationship with your 2d waifu, then you should really watch Her. It's as awkward and cringeworthy as WataMote, but a bit more nuanced in its judgement of Ted, the main character, in that he's never quite condemned for his behavior or his desires.

In fact, imagine if the entire world was okay with you carrying around a copy of Love Plus and talking to it as if it was the love of your life. The film asks you to question the many possibilities of world that is beyond human relationships, but it never tells you how to feel when you see Ted go through his life affair. Are you supposed to empathize or sympathize with his situation? It's really all left to you to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom