• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: The Most Depressing Scenes From Tokyo Game Show

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
It got even worse than that actually

j5vQ9C6.jpg

http://lonelyvirgil.net

I actually feel sorry for him. ;(

Ra1den

The good thing is that there are enough good Japanese games already released to keep us occupied the rest of our lives.

Derrick01

Banned
Being fair with this year TGS, is that there were a lot of more announcements than I expected (at least localization wise)

Offtopic: Hey Derrick, I bought GTAV because of you... Just hope you didn't end hating it as Dishonored (Oh my buyer remorse)

I don't think I will. I've already put a good 25 hours in and have so much more of the game to do. It may slow down a bit but there's no doubt it's a great game. Dishonored's problems were apparent to me by the 4th real mission and then the quality of the 2nd of the half dropped significantly once they all started becoming more linear levels.

Jeels

It wierds me out how people keep talking about KH3 like it will have any effect in the near future. The game is still waaaaaaaay off with nothing to show for it, and Nomura is still working on FFXV (which isn't close to release). FF13 Versus was announced with more information than KH3, and we saw how that went.

I understand KH3 is BIG, but the game has to actually get made before it will do anything for Square.

What is this obsession with Nomura, as if he hand develops all his games.

KH3 has its own team, separate from XV. The KH team is now the Osaka team (BBS).

yami4ct

This is the kind of story all the 8-4 guys were calling out on twitter. Apparently, a lot of people were taking some incredibly misleading photos in order to make their "TGS is dying" stories. Most of these are from the second, never well attended, business day. The first business day and public days were pretty packed from all accounts.

So, yeah, don't take those photos at face value.

thefro

Virgil is a former WWF wrestler who makes his rounds doing conventions. This was taken at San Diego Comic Con, most likely during a lull period because the Sails Pavilion (where this was exactly taken) usually has a lot of people. He was there last year and had a small gathering but considering this is what he does for a living now, its pretty sad that he couldn't move on from wrestling.

He was a math teacher for a while (still is?), or at least was telling people that.

alan666

Banned
where is the nintendo stand there ?

i did read on hear a week or so ago a article that someone had posted & it was on about the Japanese publishers & developers are terrified by the costs of making games for the next-gen consoles, i wonder if this has anything to do with it, also what are the figures for gaming on phones in Japan i did see on the Gadget Show (a tech show we have here in the UK) & they went to Japan & the people there were crazy for the latest phone & they have very fast internet connections there on their phones, i wonder if mobile gaming is taking over, with all the travelling etc they do they play on the go instead of sitting at home playing.

Toxi

Banned
What is this obsession with Nomura, as if he hand develops all his games.

KH3 has its own team, separate from XV. The KH team is now the Osaka team (BBS).
Nobody said Nomura hand develops his games, but he's the director of Kingdom Hearts 3. Him being occupied by another game which isn't close to release is another sign we're not getting KH3 any time soon.

Even if his role is minimal, the fact that KH3 is nothing more than a name right now is reason enough to not consider it a factor in Square's profits in the near future.

This is such a joke.

Sony, Capcom, Sega, Microsoft, Namco Bandai all had HUGE booths with tons of demo stations, which were mostly slammed the entire time even on the business days (which each had a record 30000+ people. The public days each had well over 100000 people). Sony alone literally had well into the hundreds, and it wouldn't surprise me if the others did as well. This isn't even getting to Gung Ho, Arc System Works, Square Enix etcetc.

The game has changed, but TGS is generating more hype than ever among the media and public Iin Japan. Funny how something dying is managing to set attendance records every year.

Damn TGS fell off, its pretty much the GREE show now. Even the Japanese big dogs see the writing on the wall; globalization has kicked their ass this past gen and it may be even worse this gen.

alan666

Banned
Nintendo doesn't go to TGS.

I didn't know that, it seems Nintendo don't go anywhere now, the only people that they are interested in are people with 3DS's that receive the directs, talk about looking inward.

I think it looking bad, i know everyone seems to be gunning for the PS4 this coming gen & i myself am seriously considering one, i have not had as much fun with my PS3 than i have with my X360, but i dunno actually because MS are really throwing money about & buying up content, they have the CoD stuff tied up early for example & with Sony charging for PSN the playing field is more level than before, Japan is a big market for games no doubting that, but the the USA, Europe, South America, Russia are bigger if not in their own individual right, what Nintendo is doing is not helping either, a game that you would say was made for Japanese gamers W101 has sold tiny numbers & the WiiU is not selling either, how many times does Resi have to be re-invented & re-released, the same for MGS, you could even say the same for Mario & Zelda, it is just the same 'stuff' over & over again in a different box, you can say the same about CoD but at least the games do evolve & ok you are still running about shooting but the scenery is different, NSMBU was just the same as Mario on the NES.

I truly think the only thing that will get Japan back into traditional/console game would be something like the Oculus Rift or Sony's VR head set.

Some selective bs going on here. TGS looked packed everywhere. Obviously no one will attend a booth with no games or a hall with no booths.

TGS-2013-Sony_6-1024x768.jpg

Its amazing how far they are going to try and spin it though. Truly remarkable and pathetic.

Momentary

Banned
FFXV and MGSV... Both games are running on PC hardware, but there's no announcement for them yet. I wonder if it's because they don't want to take any steam away from consoles just yet.

Some selective bs going on here. TGS looked packed everywhere. Obviously no one will attend a booth with no games or a hall with no booths.

Its amazing how far they are going to try and spin it though. Truly remarkable and pathetic.

Nevermind the fact that the majority of people who attended considered this TGS below mediocre. You're also being selective with your picture. If you read the article you'll notice they said the only other booth bigger than GREE's was Sony's

Alebrije

Yep , gamers were there , just the market is different , Koei , Konami , Capcom are being surpased by new technologies , the userbase has moved to games in companies like Green.

tgs-2012-sea-of-humanity-720.0_cinema_640.0.jpeg

Tokyo-Game-Show-2013--016.jpg

FFXV and MGSV... Both games are running on PC hardware, but there's no announcement for them yet. I wonder if it's because they don't want to take any steam away from consoles just yet.

Nevermind the fact that the majority of people who attended considered this TGS below mediocre. You're also being selective with your picture. If you read the article you'll notice they said the only other booth bigger than GREE's was Sony's

No, thats the only pic I could find of the floor. Ask someone who went to how busy it was.

Glad someone spoke about this FUD.

Toxi

Banned
Deep Down and Titanfall... 2 western focused games. Good job trying to make a point though.
They're still games that visitors were excited about. I don't see people downplaying the hugely positive reception Squeenix got at E3.

Lumyst

Hey, so long as there are still timeless classics that are born on mobile devices, I might not mind iOS/Android gaming should it come to that, so long as the Japanese game developers respect their medium alongside their quest for amazing profits.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not at and have never been to TGS, but wasn't the point that there was less actual show floor to be packed this year? Yeah, maybe a few areas are packed, but there are whole areas with no booths...

Replicant

- Even as a pale shadow of its former self, TGS blew Gamescom away in my mind. Yakuza, Lily Bergamo, Phantasy Star Nova, Reborn and the trailers/info we got on previously announced games--it wasn't bad, it just wasn't what people wanted, which was frankly E3 part 2. (IE: All the stuff we got PLUS New trailers for FFXV and KH3, Persona 5, a new Tales game, DMC5, and something new from every notable Japanese publisher. It would've been nice, but frankly the bar was set waaaaaaay too high.)

Uhm, most of those games were announced at that separate Sony conference not at TGS.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I skipped it this year, but I went the last 2. Nothing but mobile games, handhelds and a few big name console games. I don't plan on going again next year either.

Mariolee

A company selling a ten year old game for full retail price and a company with a next gen flagship game that's free to play - yeah, I'm out.

OH FUCK, I had not realized Nintendo was just releasing the Wind Waker's original Gamecube version with no modifications whatsoever, and a game that only got worse with time as well. Nintendo's really going down the crapper, huh?

I have no defense for Capcom, though Deep Down still looks promising. I don't think the fact that it is F2P should have any effect on how fun it is or not, but to each his own.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Man, the gaming industry is drying up faster in Japan than even their fertility rates.

This one got me. But, what's the problem with a declining population growth? We NEED less humans.

Does anyone have attendance numbers?

This is such a joke.

Sony, Capcom, Sega, Microsoft, Namco Bandai all had HUGE booths with tons of demo stations, which were mostly slammed the entire time even on the business days (which each had a record 30000+ people. The public days each had well over 100000 people). Sony alone literally had well into the hundreds, and it wouldn't surprise me if the others did as well. This isn't even getting to Gung Ho, Arc System Works, Square Enix etcetc.

The game has changed, but TGS is generating more hype than ever among the media and public Iin Japan. Funny how something dying is managing to set attendance records every year.

this

i went on saturday, everywhere you went 2 hours waiting lines, even on Microsoft stand

I was surprised about KT stand, but most of their games were playable on Sony and Ms stands

S-E and NBGI also were crowded, GTAV had a 2 hours waiting lines or more

of course GREE is popular, 5 years ago people was playing with DS or PSP on trains, now everybody uses a smartphone, but GREE stand being the only one crowded is not true

Nobody said Nomura hand develops his games, but he's the director of Kingdom Hearts 3. Him being occupied by another game which isn't close to release is another sign we're not getting KH3 any time soon.

Even if his role is minimal, the fact that KH3 is nothing more than a name right now is reason enough to not consider it a factor in Square's profits in the near future.

This again? Christ. Nomura is ALWAYS credited as a director of Kingdom Heart's games. That means nothing. The directing credits for KH3 are exactly the same as BBS and 3D, with Nomura and Yasue co-directing.

Top Bottom