• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witchfire Gameplay Overview Trailer

Here is a dive into the gameplay systems of Witchfire.

Armed with strange weapons and forbidden pagan magic, hunt a powerful witch holding the key to your salvation. Witchfire is a dark fantasy roguelike shooter from the creators of Painkiller, Bulletstorm, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Early access also starts today so if there's anyone planning on grabbing it please share your impressions here in this thread.

image.png

Luipadre

No console version. Launching into EA after many years, exclusively on epic store. As DOA as it can get. I like the style tho, but is it me or it looks nothing like the first announcements trailer

Last edited:
No console version. Launching into EA after many years, exclusively on epic store. As DOA as it can get. I like the style tho, but is it me or it looks nothing like the first announcements trailer
Nope, its not you. Game took too long to release and choose the worst time to do so and is now also way different. Unfortunate.

Luipadre

Watched some gameplay. Game looks decent, but i have a feeling they scrapped the whole game like 2 years ago and quickly made this into a roguelike with the assets they made during development. It looks nothing like the old trailers and the content is pretty shallow. Will keep an eye on this one tho. Might grab it when it comes to steam with 1.0 probably in 3 years lol

Anyone else playing Witchfire?

Really enjoying it!

We have a small community going too with some Halloween events coming up.

Great game for the season and a fun community to play with!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched some gameplay. Game looks decent, but i have a feeling they scrapped the whole game like 2 years ago and quickly made this into a roguelike with the assets they made during development. It looks nothing like the old trailers and the content is pretty shallow. Will keep an eye on this one tho. Might grab it when it comes to steam with 1.0 probably in 3 years lol
Been waiting for this for such a long time so seeing that it's an Epic exclusive was so disappointing. I guess it's delayed on PC, then...
When I first saw it I was hyped. But seeing the word “roguelike” kills all hype.
Nope, its not you. Game took too long to release and choose the worst time to do so and is now also way different. Unfortunate.
I have not really been looking forward to this game like the rest of you, but I've been seeing this game pop up every now and then over the years in conferences, so I decided to do some trailer searching to make sure I'm not mistaking this for another game and to make sure I'm seeing things correctly:

This is the first teaser 5 years ago:

This is snippet from 4 years ago:

There is a break of 3ish years before they re-reveal the game to Summer Games Fest 2022.

This is last year at SGF:

This is earlier this year:

...I hate to say it guys, but this gameplay all looks very, very similar since the first teaser 5 years ago and also snippet from 4 years ago. Groups of Melee enemies running directly at you and a few guys shooting crossbows or other objects at you, while the player does quick dodges and circle strafe shots. The only surprises I can see here are the obvious graphical downgrades, the platform it's releasing on, and the fact that they didn't initially reveal it to be a roguelike(They first called it a 'Dark Fantasy Shooter').

Now from witnessing this, are we all sure that there isn't some other game that we're thinking of, me included? Because I also remember seeing a different game with a similar concept in first person.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have not really been looking forward to this game like the rest of you, but I've been seeing this game pop up every now and then over the years in conferences, so I decided to do some trailer searching to make sure I'm not mistaking this for another game and to make sure I'm seeing things correctly:

This is the first teaser 5 years ago:

This is snippet from 4 years ago:

There is a break of 3ish years before they re-reveal the game to Summer Games Fest 2022.

This is last year at SGF:

This is earlier this year:

...I hate to say it guys, but this gameplay all looks very, very similar since the first teaser 5 years ago and also snippet from 4 years ago. Groups of Melee enemies running directly at you and a few guys shooting crossbows or other objects at you, while the player does quick dodges and circle strafe shots. The only surprises I can see here are the obvious graphical downgrades, the platform it's releasing on, and the fact that they didn't initially reveal it to be a roguelike(They first called it a 'Dark Fantasy Shooter').

Now from witnessing this, are we all sure that there isn't some other game that we're thinking of, me included? Because I also remember seeing a different game with a similar concept in first person.

Which doesn't sound too dissimilar from Painkiller tbh. I see no problem with that, though. Painkiller rules, and having a rogue like version of it might help in spicing up the formula so I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I'll keep an open mind until I can play the game, and as long as the action and gameplay are tight then I'll be pleased. That art style looks great.

I recently became aware of the fact that the scope of the game has changed significantly since the time of those early trailers but in 5 years of development that's to be expected, I guess. I'm not a fan of roguelikes but I did play some recently that I enjoyed so maybe this one will work for me as well. Again, so far the biggest detractor for me was the EGS exclusivity. That's like an instant turn-off which sucks because this would probably be really fun to play around Halloween.

Which doesn't sound too dissimilar from Painkiller tbh. I see no problem with that, though. Painkiller rules, and having a rogue like version of it might help in spicing up the formula so I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I'll keep an open mind until I can play the game, and as long as the action and gameplay are tight then I'll be pleased. That art style looks great.

I recently became aware of the fact that the scope of the game has changed significantly since the time of those early trailers but in 5 years of development that's to be expected, I guess. I'm not a fan of roguelikes but I did play some recently that I enjoyed so maybe this one will work for me as well. Again, so far the biggest detractor for me was the EGS exclusivity. That's like an instant turn-off which sucks because this would probably be really fun to play around Halloween.
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the game itself, I think it looks like a fun time. However, I feel like the comments above about this game seems like a case of mistaken identity? Unless there's something I'm missing I don't recall seeing any concrete news about this game being larger than it is in scope, just what I consider descriptive wording without good enough clarity.

Again, is everyone sure that this is that same game and not another one? I swear I thought I remembered another First Person Shooter with dark fantasy western-ish designs. If anyone wants to come in and clarify I'm all for it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the game itself, I think it looks like a fun time. However, I feel like the comments above about this game seems like a case of mistaken identity? Unless there's something I'm missing I don't recall seeing any concrete news about this game being larger than it is in scope, just what I consider descriptive wording without good enough clarity.

Again, is everyone sure that this is that same game and not another one? I swear I thought I remembered another First Person Shooter with dark fantasy western-ish designs. If anyone wants to come in and clarify I'm all for it.
Yeah, I meant that the game changed from a regular FPS to this roguelike hybrid. But I'm pretty sure that this is the right game on the account of the developers who consist of some former Painkiller and Bulletstorm devs, which obviously got some attention from me right from the start.

The only other game that I can think of which had a similar vibe and was announced years ago but then disappeared, was Hellraid. It was supposed to be this first person melee game set in dark fantasy dungeons but then it was put on hold by Techland until they finally retooled it as a DLC for Dying Light. Maybe that's the game you were thinking about?

I've been following the development since the beginning since I really enjoyed TVoEC, and I have no idea what people here are talking about when they say that it looks nothing like the old trailers etc. It looks pretty much the exact same as it did in the first teaser except for maybe some visual downgrades as you mention. So yeah, people might indeed be thinking of some different game.

That being said, I'm also a bit disappointed in the EGS exclusivity. I guess they needed the money to keep going. I also hoped it would be more like a linear story shooter à la Painkiller, but a roguelike could be interesting enough if done well. Will probably buy it in a steam sale in a couple of years.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good to be honest, not sure why the overall negative tone it feels like in this thread. That said, it's not really so unique in it's genre that I'd really consider it at this moment in time. I just plain have too many things to play that I'm way more interested in. But I will say, I like the premise, I think the art direction is very strong and consistent and it has such a great overall tone. Probably a good idea to try and get it going in "early access" in time for Halloween, but again, just too much for me to really step away from.

I hope it's great for those that give it a go. I look forward to seeing how it evolves over it's "early access".

Last edited:
Top Bottom