• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•17-19•17 - King Kong dethroned as Disney continues to BEAST box office

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lion King talk?

Been saying it for months - at minimum Lion King will be Disney's biggest non-Star Wars Saga film ever, and definite top 5 all-time grosser. Easily Jurassic World territory, quite possibly more.

It was absolutely enormous when it released, and as others have said it has had a steady stream of successful follow-up including one of the most successful stage acts of all time and a brand new popular show. It's still widely considered to be a masterpiece and it's in that perfect nostalgia sweet spot. And it's got the team behind the hugely successful Jungle Book.

Lion King talk?

Been saying it for months - at minimum Lion King will be Disney's biggest non-Star Wars Saga film ever, and definite top 5 all-time grosser. Easily Jurassic World territory, quite possibly more.

It was absolutely enormous when it released, and as others have said it has had a steady stream of successful follow-up including one of the most successful stage acts of all time and a brand new popular show. It's still widely considered to be a masterpiece and it's in that perfect nostalgia sweet spot. And it's got the team behind the hugely successful Jungle Book.

I'd like to see them make a furry adaptation of Lion King. People just wear furry costumes in some urban environment playing the movie. Would be fun.

Why did Disney do a bunch of direct to video sequels of films like Lion King and Aladdin anyway? They would have made a ton in the box office.

At the time Disney didn't usually do sequels to their animated films aside from Rescuers Down Under, so maybe a straight to video animated sequel with a lower budget made sense, even if did to lead one of Disney's worse trends for a while.

Plus Return of Jafar was hugely successful as were the other animated films, so they kept making them until Lasseter put an end to things.

kswiston

Weekend estimates should be out in an hour or so. I am going to guess that Lionsgate puts Power Rangers at $40M, and Disney puts Beauty and the Beast at $88M.

Kong's opening weekend in China without service fees is $70M. Some places might report the total with fees, which will be about 5% higher.

gamz

Weekend estimates should be out in an hour or so. I am going to guess that Lionsgate puts Power Rangers at $40M, and Disney puts Beauty and the Beast at $88M.

Kong's opening weekend in China without service fees is $70M. Some places might report the total with fees, which will be about 5% higher.

Damn. That's a great opening for Kong.

BumRush

My wife loved BatB by the way, but stressed it's far too long for new kid audiences (if you were still considering taking your 3 year old). This one was definitely made with nostalgia as the #1 driver and it's not close.

Seeing Kong this week...looks amazing.

kswiston

Official weekend estimate for Power Rangers is $40.5M

My wife loved BatB by the way, but stressed it's far too long for new kid audiences (if you were still considering taking your 3 year old). This one was definitely made with nostalgia as the #1 driver and it's not close.

Seeing Kong this week...looks amazing.

Ya. I'm going to pass on taking my daughter to the film in theatres. If she was 4-5, I would have gone, but 3 is too young to sit still for 2.5 hours with the trailers. Thanks for the report.

kswiston

Overseas doesnt care about Power Rangers. $18.7M from 62 markets. There are still some major markets left, but China/Japan are going to need to love the film for it to have a shot at $300M.

Edit: $88.3M for Beauty and the Beast.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Beauty and the Beast - $88.3M (-49.4) - $317M total (4th highest 10 day total of all time)
2) Power Rangers - $40.5M
3) Kong: Skull Island - $14.4M (-48%) - $134M total
4) Life - $12.6M
5) Logan - $10.1M (-43%) - $201M total
6) Get Out - $8.7M (-35%) - $147M total
7) CHiPs - $7.6M
8) The Shack - $3.8M (-37%) - $49M
9) The LEGO Batman Movie - $2.0M (-57%) - $171M
10) The Belko Experiment - $1.8M (-56%) - $8M total
11) Slamma Jamma - $1.7M

gamz

Kong did 70M in China over the weekend and Godzilla 77M total in China.

Any Japan numbers yet? Kong is at 392M WW. 500M incoming and will end up surpassing Godzilla's WW gross.

Exhibitor Relations‏ @ERCboxoffice

It's a hit. KONG: SKULL ISLAND scored another $93M overseas this weekend, $258M total. China debuted with $72M, doubling up on GODZILLA.

kswiston

I'm not sure why Disney has fudged RO's #s the past 3 weeks...are they trying to beat TDK dom maybe??

They didn't fudge anything. It's just getting a second-run theatre expansion. The theatre count went up by 49% this weekend. Last week it went up by 8%

FTF

They didn't fudge anything. It's just getting a second-run theatre expansion. The theatre count went up by 49% this weekend. Last week it went up by 8%

Uh huh...I'm always skeptical of the double feature/dollar theater reasoning every studio uses when their other movies have these magical drops and gains the weekends other big movies they have are released/out.

Because the direct to video sequels made like 500 million dollars on a much lower budget
i feel like we discussed this in a thread last year. those direct to video sequels made BANK. but disney realized they were likely cheapening the brand in the long run. Frozen will be the first princess/renaissance film sequel and it's gonna be gargantuan.

kswiston

Uh huh...I'm always skeptical of the double feature/dollar theater reasoning every studio uses when their other movies have these magical drops and gains the weekends other big movies they have are released/out.

What would be the point of taking a few hundred k from Beauty and the Beast? Rogue One isn't close enough to The Dark Knight to pass it. It has made $1.5M since March 5th, and is still $3.5M behind TDK. This is just the typical "dump it in cheap theatres for a few weeks before the Bluray/DVD release" strategy.

GhaleonEB

It's a very common pattern, particularly for blockbusters and family films, and cheap/dollar theater second runs are actually a thing (there are a few near where I live). There's nothing to be skeptical about.

Just because people online like to create these challenge scenarios in their heads doesn't mean they actually exist.

Disney isn't playing BO games to beat TDK, man. Why do they even need or want that when TFA is king (domestically at least) for the foreseeable future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom