• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•24-26•17 - Beasteality reigns, wee Life for "Teenagers" with attitude @ BO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Didn't see the movie, but if the trailer I saw on Friday is anything to go by, I can see why he's not the lead.

I'm almost willing to bet that
he didn't make it to the end of the movie and probably had less than 20 minutes screen time.

Life Spoilers. Don't click if you don't want to see spoilers:
From what I was told, the black guy doesn't die first this time

kswiston

Power Rangers will open in China. They don't announce their release dates very far in advance. Especially for films that are just sold to local distributors for a flat rate like Power Rangers will be.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
And then Pirates right after that. Last one did a billion.

Then you have Cars 3
You may laugh at me for saying this

They don't care what it makes in the long run at the box office, it's just a 90 minute advertisement to sell Cars merchandise

Good grief, if they can't get you one way, they get you another
I say by 2020, the universal currency will be Disney dollars

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
And then Cars 3 after that.

Then they take a break until November where they swing their Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars dicks all in the span of a month and a half with Thor, Coco, and Episode VIII.

Even Disney is like, let's give the other guys a chance

Do we really need 75%+ Box Office gross share...

BumRush

Reminder that the cars franchise has made $10 BILLION in merchandising alone, the second most of any franchise EVER. (Star Wars is number 1)

SheHateMe

Life Spoilers. Don't click if you don't want to see spoilers:
From what I was told, the black guy doesn't die first this time

giphy.gif

The wife wants to see Power Rangers, as that was her kick when she was a kid (I had juuuuuuuust aged out right before the White Ranger showed up) so I guess we're going to see that today.

FTF

And then Pirates right after that. Last one did a billion.

I keep forgetting how huge that series is OS. I could see another low to mid 200s domestically but close to a bil ww again, which is crazy.

More Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $566M (third highest in the franchise behind Deadpool and DOFP)
Fifty Shades Darker - $378M
The Great Wall - $331M
The LEGO Movie - $293M
A Dog's Purpose - $178M
Moana - $617M
Sing - $600M
Hidden Figures - $220M

Lego not even being at $300m ww yet is surprisingly low.

kswiston

More Worldwide Updates:

Logan - $566M (third highest in the franchise behind Deadpool and DOFP)
Fifty Shades Darker - $378M
The Great Wall - $331M
The LEGO Movie - $293M
A Dog's Purpose - $178M
Moana - $617M
Sing - $600M
Hidden Figures - $220M

Reminder that the cars franchise has made $10 BILLION in merchandising alone, the second most of any franchise EVER. (Star Wars is number 1)

Indeed they don't even really give a fuck what Cars will do at the Box Office. It's there to keep momentum up for that sweet sweet merch $$$

GunBR

Power Rangers as a franchise lost his draw power since In Space no? (or maybe before that)

I still think that was a good idea to make a movie based on the original series, the problem is the 100mi budget

kswiston

Lego not even being at $300m ww yet is surprisingly low.

LEGO Batman apparently hasn't opened in Australia yet. It also has Japan, New Zealand, and Israel left.

It will pass $300M, but I don't think we should expect anything higher than $325M. Huge drop from The LEGO Movie. Trolls made more.

A few months ago I thought Power Rangers would bomb. But considering its budget, this is a decent start. Probably going to end up with around 300 / 400 million dollars worldwide so I assume we'll get a sequel.

gimmmick

Has a company ever held the top 3 movies in one year? It's damn scary how much money Disney is going to make this year.

A few months ago I thought Power Rangers would bomb. But considering its budget, this is a decent start. Probably going to end up with around 300 / 400 million dollars worldwide so I assume we'll get a sequel.

400 ain't happening.

300 is also kinda optimistic. It's bombing overseas.

Life cost less than $60 mil, huh? That's pretty impressive.

Also, people are like "What's the point, ALIEN already exists."

And I'm like "at least someone's trying to make a good one of those for the first time since 1986, tho. Because it's for damn sure the ACTUAL series hasn't been..."

Bobby's fault

Owning it.

$200-250 million is more reasonable. $300 million is possible, but very unlikely.

It'll get a sequel though. At least one.

BumRush

Life cost less than $60 mil, huh? That's pretty impressive.

Also, people are like "What's the point, ALIEN already exists."

And I'm like "at least someone's trying to make a good one of those for the first time since 1986, tho. Because it's for damn sure the ACTUAL series hasn't been..."

I also think the marketing was a disaster for this film. The trailer didn't sell it as anything you'd need to see in the theatre.

Ah, shit, I didn't look at the overseas numbers for PR, I assumed it was doing okay based on the chinese numbers but I must have been thinking of something else since apparently it hasn't opened there yet. Well, still hope it makes a profit.

Boke1879

Power Rangers as a franchise lost his draw power since In Space no? (or maybe before that)

I still think that was a good idea to make a movie based on the original series, the problem is the 100mi budget

I think it'll make it's budget and then some. I also fee a 2nd movie is going to happen.

The thing is. I think they just want a bit of a surge in the brand. Not just this movie, but the marathon on twitch as well. I've had people in my normal day start talking about Power Rangers. If it sees an increase in merch then its done it's job. I'm already looking to buy a few things. Not from this movie in particular, but some Zords I had as a kid.

Now they need to take the tv series a bit more serious.

I think it'll make it's budget and then some. I also fee a 2nd movie is going to happen.

The thing is. I think they just want a bit of a surge in the brand. Not just this movie, but the marathon on twitch as well. I've had people in my normal day start talking about Power Rangers. If it sees an increase in merch then its done it's job. I'm already looking to buy a few things. Not from this movie in particular, but some Zords I had as a kid.

As long as Nickelodeon has that TV license, it'll remain what it is now for a while.

I bought the dang Pterodactyl zord for my desk the next morning,
And I haven't cared about Power Rangers since MMPR ended when I was 5 or 6.

Mission accomplished Saban.

Ghost in the Shell is fucked next week isn't it? That's a lot of competition. Who thought it was a good idea to release it at the end of such a stacked month?

I think it's fucked because Power Rangers has much of the same audience and that's doing better than expected. ScarJo has pull but I just don't see that overcoming the other movies chipping at its opening weekend.

Boke1879

That number for PR is okay I guess, I don't will get a sequel though. It's not doing so well overseas.

I think there's a great chance it gets a sequel honestly. At least one more. It'll make back it's budget and they'll most likely give it one more go.

Word of Mouth i've seen so far has been pretty positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom