• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0429-050116 - Winter (Soldier & Super Friends) is coming... does $200m+ WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

You guys are huge fans of making the same jokes 100 times.

Because GAF

In seriousness,

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $247,966,675
2 Jurassic World Uni. $208,806,270
3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $207,438,708
4 Avengers: Age of Ultron BV $191,271,109
5 Iron Man 3 BV $174,144,585

So Cap kicks Tony's ass out of BO Top 10 Openings?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Great estimated result for Civil War. I'm glad I ignored the frenzy of record breaking predictions over the past couple of weeks.

Didn't someone feverishly ask about TFA's record being at risk at one point? Yikes.

RayStorm

Come on Zootopia. Get that $44m.

Would I be right in assuming that it's all about Japan now? Where I guess it would need some kind of Frozen legs, if it continues doing about half as much on weekends as Frozen, as it has done on the two tracked so far.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Didn't top 200 million?

There was a time above... a time before... there were box office records... diamond absolutes. But films bomb... films in theatres. And what bombs... is fallen. In the shareholder report, it took Marvel to the light. A beautiful lie.

And now the next generation of MCU films will inherit an empty theatre... if there is a next generation.

inky

Lol I know, but I seem to remember the poster asking as though he wanted it to be true. An "is such a thing even possible? Please say yes" situation.

Some people were definitely in that range. TBF, most were like, come on man, it's not happening, just... no.

milanbaros

Member?
Incredible. The fact that an opening like this was expected is a testament to the amazing work Disney have put into building this universe. They are reaping the dividends whilst also guaranteeing future earnings based on quality.

GhaleonEB

The Jungle Book made $21.9M this weekend

Worldwide updates

Zootopia - $956M
The Jungle Book - $776M

Come on Zootopia. Get that $44m.

It should get there.

Two weeks ago (Japan opening weekend): $907.1m
Last week: $931.4m (earned $24.3m)
This week: $956m (earned 24.6m)

It didn't even really slow down. Guessing it gets there in the next 3-4 weeks comfortably, assuming it drops off faster.

Civil war weekend estimate is 181.8M
Fantastic. At the high end of plausibility given the opening Friday. A very good early sign or legs. (BvS opened bigger on Friday, but this is $17m higher for the weekend, for context.)

kswiston

73% drop for Batman v Superman down to $1.04M

70% drop for Ratchet and Clank down to $1.46M

67% drop for Keanu down to $3.1M

Those are this week's casualties.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Incredible. The fact that an opening like this was expected is a testament to the amazing work Disney have put into building this universe. They are reaping the dividends whilst also guaranteeing future earnings based on quality.

It's like a one studio reign of terror. This franchise has been consistently targeting the fans and the mainstream and the women, and as far as I can tell the critics are actually helping them.

Yeah, I saw some crazies talking about 2 billion.

People get carried away fast as hell.

The moment TFA crossed $2b people started expecting everything to. It was like "Well, a non-Cameron film did it, it's open season!". Without considering that the non-Cameron film was, ya know, Star Wars. A good Star Wars. That was the first OT sequel in 3 decades. And the first Star Wars period in over a decade.

Same for its $936m domestic run. It's like people, I don't think you quite realize how big of a number that is.

Sulik2

Being under 200 million is honestly surprising to me. I really thought word of mouth would have pushed this over 200. I wonder how much money Disney cost themselves not calling this Avengers: Civil War?

Still its a incredible open and the upward trend on the Captain America movie's box office is really something.

Being under 200 million is honestly surprising to me. I really thought word of mouth would have pushed this over 200. I wonder how much money Disney cost themselves not calling this Avengers: Civil War?

Still its a incredible open and the upward trend on the Captain America movie's box office is really something.

~$180m is about what I would have expected, but I let myself get caught up in the $200m+ hype at the last second.

The name might have dipped it slightly for the opening, but I really don't think it did that much. And I think any name-induced dip will be erased in the long-run anyway, with the potential hold-outs being won over by word-of-mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom