• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•26-28•17 - Rock in bay can't stop Pirates or Guardians, Alien sinks tho

Oh right I was going to revise my WW prediction.

Hype intensifies at home. Still not expecting great European numbers outside of UK.

OW: $120m
Dom: $280m
WW: $650m

Edit: did a quick regional breakdown in my head, think this has decent potential in Asia and Latin America, upped WW figure from $600m to $650m.

kswiston

Pirates 5 is at $326M worldwide as of the end of Monday. China is at an estimated $110M through Tuesday.

Disney is already past $3B worldwide in 2017. Before their crazy 2016 (Which was around $7.5B), Disney's all time worldwide record for the entire year was $5.85B in 2015.

Disney has released all of 3 feature films in 2017 so far (plus a Panda documentary), and only has another 4 scheduled.

Cars 3 - 6/16/17
Thor: Ragnarok - 11/3/17
Coco - 11/22/17
Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 12/15/17

I think that the calendar gross of those 7 (plus the tail end of Rogue One) will be enough to top their 2015 total.

So what are we expecting from Transformers The last Knight? Coming right after Cars 3, plus franchise fatigue, I think it's going to suffer a huge domestic drop compared to Extinction.

Overseas is gonna be big like always but idk about some markets. Is there a China pandering part in this one?

So what are expecting from Transformers The last Knight? Coming right after Cars 3, plus franchise fatigue, I think it's going to suffer a huge domestic drop compared to Extinction.

Overseas is gonna be big like always but idk about some markets. Is there a China pandering part in this one?

I'm seeing like almost no hype at all domestic at least. Doesn't feel like it has any momentum. Global will still be huge but maybe I'm just missing something? Anyone else seeing strong domestic demand?

AndyVirus

So what are we expecting from Transformers The last Knight? Coming right after Cars 3, plus franchise fatigue, I think it's going to suffer a huge domestic drop compared to Extinction.

I think it'll perform similar to Pirates domestically. Better in the rest of the world, but 'only' ~100m better. I could be way off-base but I really can't see it hitting a billion again due to sinking popularity and weak money.

3N16MA

Banned
Just imagine the weekend Revenge of the Fallen would have had if it was released on a Friday. Would have set a new OW record.

Still a beast at the BO but no longer a DOM beast.

kswiston

Just imagine the weekend Revenge of the Fallen would have had if it was released on a Friday. Would have set a new OW record.

Still a beast at the BO but no longer a DOM beast.

A lot of films gave up the opening weekend record in favour of mid-week releases. The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith would have easily set the record as well.

Jawmuncher

What happened to mid-week releases anyway? Remember that was a big thing for awhile and now it seems they compromised with the earlier thursday showings. Unless i'm missing something.

kswiston

What happened to mid-week releases anyway? Remember that was a big thing for awhile and now it seems they compromised with the earlier thursday showings. Unless i'm missing something.

Ya, the 3.5 day opening weekend is sort of a compromise. mid-week openings are still standard for Thanksgiving and X-Mas weekends though.

kswiston

Cross-posting from the review thread:

LA Times also reports the budget is indeed $150M.

Definitely feel rather conflicted this weekend. My heart is telling me this can explode thanks to the reviews, but I'm not seeing evidence of that on Fandango or MT presales yet.

Reviews have only been up for 13 hours. I think we need to wait a day or two more to call it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Cross-posting from the review thread:

LA Times also reports the budget is indeed $150M.

Definitely feel rather conflicted this weekend. My heart is telling me this can explode thanks to the reviews, but I'm not seeing evidence of that on Fandango or MT presales yet.

i was bummed when i used t mobile tuesdays to book my ticket this am

got a stellar seat in an empty theatre for the 7pm show on Sunday... usually packed this close to an MCU movie

Reviews have only been up for 13 hours. I think we need to wait a day or two more to call it.
It's a fair point. But it just doesn't feel like a true event as of now. Here's hoping things change.

That said, I wouldn't be that surprised if the film has a fairly disappointing OW, but then legs it to a great total. In the same vein as Batman Begins, but more like a 75/250 total than 50/200 total.

Is WB lowballing intentionally? Is that a real practise in Hollywood?
I cannot think of a single time that a studio has put out equivalent expectations to tracking services the week of release. It's almost always 10-20% lower.

Only just saw the Australian box office numbers but pirates had a pretty damn poor opening week. For comparison it actually made less in its first week than 4 made in its second week. It's going to see a monstrous decline here.

For reference the BO of the pirates movies have looked like this in Australia:
18 million
28 million
29 million
29 million

This one looks like it'll struggle for 12-13 million. Could end up being less depending on how fast it loses screens to WW and Baywatch. It's per screen earnings are pretty terrible for a major release.

A 65 million opening would be really disappointing I'd have to think, even if WB themselves have put that out there as a lower end estimate.

It would be in the lower range for opening in comic films recently. That would put it in X-Men Apocalypse / Ant-Man territory. I can't think it goes that low.

Pirates 5 was a bit underestimated, it seems: https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/869571980579794944

$55.5M global MON for #Pirates5 putting total at $326M led by 4day grosses of $92.3M in China & $78.2M in NorthAmerica.

I was thinking about this yesterday: while Pirates 5 is certainly a disappointing performer in the US, if the trends of the last two summers hold, it could still conceivably be in the 5th highest grossing film of the summer if it grosses $165-175M.

Like, how are you going to find out in numbers?

Honestly, it's pretty hard to tell. Since you can't really pinpoint what caused a film to change its fortunes.

Take Pirates for example. Dead Man's Chest did a ton of money, despite being worse than the first film. Why? Audiences were primed off of the success of the first. Whereas At World's End went down, in opening weekend, domestic, and international takes. I find it's easier to speculate on this over domestic revenue, because the international market changed pretty quick over the last decade.

In terms of films that feel different enough to stand out from their respective franchises, Deadpool is a pretty strong case. The rest of the franchise could go either way. I think First Class was much lower than The Last Stand because that preceding film had destroyed the faith in the franchise, whereas after Days of Future Past rebounded. On the other hand, Apocalypse seemingly accelerated the burn of any goodwill they had built up.

kswiston

Pirates 5 was a bit underestimated, it seems: https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/869571980579794944

I was thinking about this yesterday: while Pirates 5 is certainly a disappointing performer in the US, if the trends of the last two summers hold, it could still conceivably be in the 5th highest grossing film of the summer if it grosses $165-175M.

I guess it is possible. GOTG2 already has a top 5 spot (maybe #1). Despicable Me 3 is pretty much a lock as well. Spider-Man Homecoming coming in under $175M would be very shocking. Ditto for Wonder Woman at this point.

That's four.

Cars 3, Transformers 5, War for the Planet of the Apes, and Dunkirk are probably the main competition for the fifth spot, assuming no breakouts.

I'm just trying to save face with my top 5 domestic prediction in that one thread. :p

If the rumored runtime of 182 minutes for TF5 is true, I'm going to give it no chance of grossing more than Pirates.

Kart94

Banned
So is this longer than Pearl Harbor? That movie also ran 40 minutes longer than it should have what with some random mission tacked on.

So is this longer than Pearl Harbor? That movie also ran 40 minutes longer than it should have what with some needless mission.
It would be 1 minute shorter than Pearl Harbor.

I should reiterate that this is a rumor. But as the list Kswiss posted shows, it'd fit with the way the franchise has gone so far.

kswiston

Cross-posting here where more people are likely to care, but B-G-E's LA Times article puts Wonder Woman's budget at $150M. That lays the $100M talk to rest.

The saga of Optimus Prime and Sir Anthony Hopkins in Space must be given the proper amount of time

Plus it gives them more time to demo sponsor products in the film. Can't wait for Amazon Echo or Taco Bell Naked Chicken Chips to be a plot point!

suaveric

i was bummed when i used t mobile tuesdays to book my ticket this am

got a stellar seat in an empty theatre for the 7pm show on Sunday... usually packed this close to an MCU movie

Yeah, still not seeing where the monster opening is coming from. I want my local theaters to start filling up because I need them to add extra shows. None of their current times are convenient for me. Everyone around me now reserved seating and every showtime I've looked at for Thursday/Friday/Saturday is wide open. Where are all the Wonder Woman fans?

kswiston

Return of the King was 200 minutes. It just depends on what you do with those 200 minutes I guess.

That said, the 251 minute extended cut of RotK is torture on repeated viewings.

My family used to try and marathon the extended trilogy during holidays, and we'd start drifting out half way through TTT.

Top Bottom