• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

I really think it is a horrible title. First time I heard it I swore it was a comedy for kids.

My parents consistently say "Baby Boss" instead and think Alec Baldwin is in it.
Maybe not a bad title in and of itself, but competing for mindshare with another recent film literally aimed at toddlers probably could have been avoided.

Wonder Woman is going to end up annoyingly close to $400m unless WB finds pulls a Spectre and finds a couple million under the couch cushions.

There's a packed lineup starting next week, but there's a good chance it'll pass Deadpool as a top 10 superhero movie domestic. Which is very impressive as Deadpool is the biggest origin movie since Spider-Man 1.

He'd miss Mayo and Kermode's channel.
It's a radio show with a video version on Youtube. They're not looking into the camera or playing up to the Youtube audience. They didn't have video until a few years ago. Plus, Kermode is an actual critic. Aside from Stuckmann, none of the Youtube people are, and that shows.

What The Flick is a better choice with having legit critics on along with Kermode.

It's a radio show with a video version on Youtube. They're not looking into the camera or playing up to the Youtube audience. They didn't have video until a few years ago. Plus, Kermode is an actual critic. Aside from Stuckmann, none of the Youtube people are, and that shows.

What The Flick is a better choice with having legit critics on along with Kermode.

I love What The Flick, so I'll check out Kermode since everyone is speaking so highly of him.

I feel like best case scenario for people weaned on Joe and RLM is Mikey Neumann's "Movies with Mikey" series which uses/samples the tone found on those two channels, but also uses/samples the Nerdwriter style, and fuses it into a much less self serious but nowhere near as simplistic/cynical as RLM/Collider Crew/Angry Joe.

The Big Sick is doing well at limited release. It's a genuine comedy, so it deserves it. None of this "we call ourselves a comedy but you're lucky if you laugh twice" bullshit.

I hope it takes the box office by storm in full release and then we'll get unfunny copycats of that for the next decade like what happened with The 40 Year Old Virgin and The Hangover.

I feel like best case scenario for people weaned on Joe and RLM is Mikey Neumann's "Movies with Mikey" series which uses/samples the tone found on those two channels, but also uses/samples the Nerdwriter style, and fuses it into a much less self serious but nowhere near as simplistic/cynical as RLM/Collider Crew/Angry Joe.

Movies with Mikey has actually made me cry a couple of times.

GhaleonEB

Delighted at WW's hold. Still an excellent PSA, ensuring that it will still have quite a few when Spiderman swings in to nab them. Guessing TF loses more than WW next week, given the tracking.

47 Meters Down wanted to be the Shallows of this summer, and rather improbably, it's pulling it off.

I dunno, I feel like more than a few readers here know of/appreciate Kermode.

I watch some of his reviews every week.

The Big Sick is doing well at limited release. It's a genuine comedy, so it deserves it. None of this "we call ourselves a comedy but you're lucky if you laugh twice" bullshit.

I hope it takes the box office by storm in full release and then we'll get unfunny copycats of that for the next decade like what happened with The 40 Year Old Virgin and The Hangover.

Yup, hope The Big Sick wins big at the box office. It deserves to over all the other middling romcoms and comedies in the past few years.

Movies with Mikey has actually made me cry a couple of times.

It really helps that he puts almost all of his focus on the film, and the content of the film, and not a whole bunch of time/energy focusing on and feeding into really dumb & uninformed narratives about how movies get made for the sake of promoting and reinforcing cynical horseshit that only exists to pat the audience on the back for being "too cool & smart" to get chewed up by the "obvious" machinations of the powers that be, all of which doesn't actually do anything so far as educating the audience, or enlightening them, but instead seems to do not much more than build insular cliques of self-congratulatory meme-traders that will buy overpriced shitty T-shirts as a means to express their collective individuality

Ashhong

I mean, lets be perfectly clear

The underlying truth of all my criticisms of YouTube personalities is that they stem from a burning white-hot (un)professional envy of their success, and outreach, and their bountiful harvesting of an easily entertained, easily fed audience of rubes who can't wait to be parted from $5-10 bucks a month in patreon money to support my "work."

That I dress this shameful haterism up in respectable clothes and present it as impartial analysis does nothing to hide the roiling ocean of jealousy that is always less than a centimeter away from backing up my entire digestive system from the gall-bladder to my tonsils.

I think you should give YouTube a shot. I can't wait to see the various graphics and fonts you use in place of bolds and italics. It'd be like a comic panel

I think you should give YouTube a shot. I can't wait to see the various graphics and fonts you use in place of bolds and italics. It'd be like a comic panel

I look funny and when I talk my mouth moves weird.

Plus I suck at video editing for the most part and I'm too old to learn at this point

I'm good at producing other people's podcasts, though.

(good-ish, at least)

There's a packed lineup starting next week, but there's a good chance it'll pass Deadpool as a top 10 superhero movie domestic. Which is very impressive as Deadpool is the biggest origin movie since Spider-Man 1.
Passing Deadpool is a lock at this point. The big question until at least next weekend will be whether it can hold on well enough to top Guardians 2.

I ran some showing where WW would end if it performed like them post 4th of July weekend:

Finding Dory: $390.5M
Spy: $388.2M
Maleficent: $418.4M
World War Z: $384.5M
Brave: $398.6M
Toy Story 3: $413.5M
Get Smart: $393.3M

Some of the films comps may seem wonky, but I've selected them because they made good money over the July 4th weekend and did not lose massive amounts of screens immediately afterwards. $380M is pretty much a done deal for Wonder Woman. The thing that will probably prevent it from reaching $400M is that its summer weekdays so far have not been as strong relative to its weekends as TS3, and it hasn't held as well as Maleficent either.

Finding Dory actually strikes me as the best comparison, since it faced Secret Life of Pets in the weekend after 4th of July, just as WW faces Spider-Man. So $390M is the ticket, IMO. Whether that's enough to beat Guardians 2 will depend on if Disney can squeeze a couple more million out of people with a Labor Day re-expansion.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Like a few people have said, I definitely saw some ads for The House and also walked away with no idea what the hell it's about. I also think it has a secretly worse title than Baby Driver, which while bad and probably somewhat off putting, is at least a title you can remember. The House is just nothing. Generic title + unclear premise + bad marketing = a real tough sell.

The point earlier about these comedies misreading the room was also very true, I think.

kswiston

I think that Baby Driver will clear $75M, and has a shot at something closer to $100M depending on next weekend. Adults who aren't into superheroes or talking apes don't have much aimed at them until Dunkirk.

Ridley327

It really helps that he puts almost all of his focus on the film, and the content of the film, and not a whole bunch of time/energy focusing on and feeding into really dumb & uninformed narratives about how movies get made for the sake of promoting and reinforcing cynical horseshit that only exists to pat the audience on the back for being "too cool & smart" to get chewed up by the "obvious" machinations of the powers that be, all of which doesn't actually do anything so far as educating the audience, or enlightening them, but instead seems to do not much more than build insular cliques of self-congratulatory meme-traders that will buy overpriced shitty T-shirts as a means to express their collective individuality

Bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu "12 years to make" is totally valid criticism!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Anyway, I feel like it's hard to advocate for the notion that people are eschewing reading reviews (although they probably are) for shitty superficial typically trash-ass YouTube critics—the whole reason we're discussing the phenomenon is that Rotten Tomatoes' influence as a consumer tool is somehow still growing even more than it already had, and Rotten Tomatoes only aggregates written work, not video.

Basically, RT as a legitimate influence on filmgoing choices is, ultimately, a reinforcement that writing about film matters more than "HEY YOUTUBE" open-mouthers doing panel shows to talk about their misconceptions of the film industry.
It's neither. It's the aggregate numbering beside it. Without it visitors wouldn't care half as much as text beside it. It's the same phenomenon as metacritic difference is there's far less people reading online film reviews in the first place so the foot traffic effect isn't as noticeable.

If video reviews were as easily aggregated you'd see the same result.

I look funny and when I talk my mouth moves weird.

Plus I suck at video editing for the most part and I'm too old to learn at this point

I'm good at producing other people's podcasts, though.

(good-ish, at least)

I will do the YouTubes where I use my smooth jazz voice to talk about the films in a manner which will still hit that ASMR demo.

Let me speak to the world about movies, comics, and anime.

(Does not have the time to do that.)

tenor.gif

Did the RLM guys have anything to say in regards to WW? I remember that being included in the endlesstrash.gif that got spammed for a few months in every BO thread.

The only video review guys I follow is Double Toasted. I dig the fact that they aren't monolithic in their reviews and will often disagree vehemently even amongst each other.

Schlorgan

Did the RLM guys have anything to say in regards to WW? I remember that being included in the endlesstrash.gif that got spammed for a few months in every BO thread.

The only video review guys I follow is Double Toasted. I dig the fact that they aren't monolithic in their reviews and will often disagree vehemently even amongst each other.
Their review was pretty positive.

Slayven

I will do the YouTubes where I use my smooth jazz voice to talk about the films in a manner which will still hit that ASMR demo.

Let me speak to the world about movies, comics, and anime.

(Does not have the time to do that.)

You are well spoken.

It's neither. It's the aggregate numbering beside it..

Not gonna argue that the basic thumbs up/thumbs down of the number alone is a huge part of it, because you're absolutely right.

But the fact that thumbs up hasn't, despite the presence of YouTube personalities being a big deal for like 5-6 years now, incorporated the likes of Collider Video or RLM into that aggregate yet, and the fact that people still do use the score as a means to click on the written reviews that contribute to it tells me that there's definitely a level of importance being placed on media writing that is worth appreciation as opposed to dismissal.

I'm wondering if this is kind of an example of the democratization of criticism coming back around, really. As everyone becomes a critic, and the sophistication of fan criticism grows significantly, the valuation of good criticism making up that word of mouth we're all engaging in via our social media of choice (including this site, for example) takes on more prominence, and while a numerical value isn't criticism in and of itself, it's often a good jumping off point for people to read and discuss with one another why that number got arrived at, and what other replacement number they might offer up instead.

And I think a lot of that is happening through the written word instead of the spoken (or greenscreened with an openmouth thumbnail silently gawping/screeching at something)

I think they liked it but also went on a weird tangent about why young girls need fictional role models like Wonder Woman.

Lima

I think that Baby Driver will clear $75M, and has a shot at something closer to $100M depending on next weekend. Adults who aren't into superheroes or talking apes don't have much aimed at them until Dunkirk.

But I thought we need THE YOUTH. At least Bobby said so.

J_Viper

I'd watch Baby Driver, but my AMC is only showing it in the Dolby Atmos theater at 7 and 10 PM, and I'm not trying to watch a movie at night by myself

if it's on Youtube I will count it as a video. Kermode having a radio show that I watch as a video doesn't mean it's anything other than another video on that platform.

Also, when talking about the influence of reviews (which is how we got here), we're obviously only talking about the big box office monsters, not like, Prevenge, or some small indy production like that. We're also not talking about movies of the past (like Network) or anything outside of current marketing-dominated mainstream (Embrace of the Serpent).

So when talking about youtubers and movie reviews, with the presumption that traffic is moving away in terms of percentages over time from written reviews to video reviews, we're talking about a very small selection of movies specifically aimed at being in the top 50 of the boxoffice of that year.
And you don't require an actual critic for those movies. Hell, half of these threads is just schadenfreude of over seeing another 'surefire hit' being torpedoed in the box office. And it's glorious, but that's what that is.

This is not "every movie that came out this year"- the thread. It's the big BO, not the arthouse.

And on that end I do speculate that the extra influence of RT is related to the newer arrival of youtube commentators. Otherwise, what causes it?
Also, a very quick way to check if this holds up is to check the BO of the small releases and seeing whether they have the same effect size from RT's influence on the big ones. As far as I recall, kwinston did not do this in his RT thread (which drew a surprisingly small crowd, if it's all just RT that is), unless I missed it.

Because seriously, if posters here believe it's just RT, what changed?

kswiston

A drunk driver took out a cable box near my house eliminating the internet connections of hundreds of houses in my area. This happened 13 hours ago and things are still out. I am stuck with my 2.5BG/month cellular data plan, which doesnt even get reliable LTE service since I am 15 minutes outside of the city.

Don't drink and drive!

Ruthless but I love it XD

A drunk driver took out a cable box near my house eliminating the internet connections of hundreds of houses in my area. This happened 13 hours ago and things are still out. I am stuck with my 2.5BG/month cellular data plan, which doesnt even get reliable LTE service since I am 15 minutes outside of the city.

Don't drink and drive!
So this is when the revolution starts?

Top Bottom