• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Yeah, that Logan Lucky trailer was pretty damn amazing. Craig just looked weird as shit in the best possible way.

Spider-Man Homecoming
OW: 110
DOM: 350
WW: 900

Thor: Ragnarok
WW: 775
The Hulk thirst since Avengers 1 will boost this one big time.

Justice League
if RT < 50%: 750
if RT > 50% 1 billion+
It will depend on whether people perceive it as a direct sequel to BvS or simply as a Justice League movie starring Wonder Woman and Batman.

Pachimari

Where do I go to check out past movies performance on the Box Office? Do I just go to BoxOfficeMojo.com and check out (as an example) Rise of the Planet of the Apes and there it says it did $176,760,185 DOM and $481,801,049 WW. So if I want to check out the OW I go to the Weekend tab where it says $54,806,191 at August 5-7?

SArcher

Banned
Isn't Sony like hoping for a billion here? Amazing Spider-Man 2 made over 700 worldwide and they lost money on that film, didn't they?

Isn't Sony like hoping for a billion here? Amazing Spider-Man 2 made over 700 worldwide and they lost money on that film, didn't they?

They probably broke even or made a little bit of profit from that. What they'd be hoping for is basically better than that, especially since Marvel made this movie for about $50-80 million less than they spent on ASM2 (the budgets on the Amazing Spider-Man movies were pretty bad).

Didn't lose money. But one of the original goals for ASM was to make less expensive Spider-Man movies. That didn't happen. With ASM2 they bet big and wanted to have spin-offs and such. That also didn't happen. Continuing to spend crazy amounts for smaller returns, and losing out on Spidey merchandise, probably wasn't a sustainable strategy.

So at the very least Spider-Man Homecoming is the least expensive Spider-Man since Spider-Man 1.

BumRush

Where do I go to check out past movies performance on the Box Office? Do I just go to BoxOfficeMojo.com and check out (as an example) Rise of the Planet of the Apes and there it says it did $176,760,185 DOM and $481,801,049 WW. So if I want to check out the OW I go to the Weekend tab where it says $54,806,191 at August 5-7?

I usually just send up a KSwiston signal, but yeah, you can do that too.

firelogic

If you just want the opening weekend, it's listed under the Domestic Summary on the page you linked to. Right under the Total Lifetime Grosses.

Don't forget, Sony is always overspending on their films. Look at the budgets that the ASM films, Ghostbusters, and the last couple of Bond films had. They were insane.

Busty

Banned
Spider-Man Homecoming.

OW -$110m

US - $270m

WW - $750m

I think that, despite the great reviews, Spider-Man doesn't really expand beyond the core, albeit large, Marvel audience.

Yes, Spider-Man is still a big IP but even with his Civil War appearance there feels like there's a sense of 'been there done that' and in a summer of franchise fatigue I think this is going the same way.

To be clear I don't think this will bomb or even underperform but I feel like this is a reboot a little too soon but the sequel may do better in a few years.

kswiston

Everything dropped from the estimates. Sunday was weaker than expected. Deadline is saying $15.7M for Wonder Woman.

Spider-Man Homecoming.

OW -$110m

US - $270m

WW - $750m

I think that, despite the great reviews, Spider-Man doesn't really expand beyond the core, albeit large, Marvel audience.

Yes, Spider-Man is still a big IP but even with his Civil War appearance there feels like there's a sense of 'been there done that' and in a summer of franchise fatigue I think this is going the same way.

To be clear I don't think this will bomb or even underperform but I feel like this is a reboot a little too soon but the sequel may do better in a few years.

I agree with this post.

Then again, I was surprised at the positive early reviews, too.

Homecoming:

OW: $124M
Domestic: $310M
International: $530M
Worldwide: $840M

Edit: I guess $900M is definitely possible, however, I want Apes to do well. Apes could be doing around the same. Who knows.

$175m budget for Homecoming?

How'd they swing that?
giphy.gif

If Captain America Civil War can reach $1.1 billion, Spider-Man should hit more than 900 million and this is the minimum I expect for it.

Wonder Woman pre-release buzz started off strong thanks to the rave reviews. The same looks to be the case for Spider-Man which is being marketed as the best Spider-Man film in TV spots/Trailers. There is plenty of buzz surrounding it leading to the release of the film.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If Captain America Civil War can reach $1.1 billion, Spider-Man should hit more than 900 million and this is the minimum I expect for it.

Wonder Woman pre-release buzz started off strong thanks to the rave reviews. The same looks to be the case for Spider-Man which is being marketed as the best Spider-Man film in TV spots/Trailers. There is plenty of buzz surrounding it leading to the release of the film.

Eh.

Spider-Man as a character is coming off 3 straight movies with poor reception. The fact that most people still have it outgrossing Amazing Spider-Man 2 by $150-$200m WW is pretty damn generous if you ask me.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
OW $128M
Domestic $375
World Wide $970m

Spidey gonna slay

I fully expect Ragnarok to have the best Box Office result of any of the Thor films (mainly because I think its going to be the highest quality one) but even still $750 is the max ceiling I see for it.

kswiston

It looks like we will have to wait until Wednesday to get weekend/Monday actuals from some companies, thanks to July 4th falling on a Tuesday this year. No day off for the Disney and Universal offices though.

Disney underestimated everything.

In your eyes, still a shot at $400M?

Still possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Don't forget, Sony is always overspending on their films. Look at the budgets that the ASM films, Ghostbusters, and the last couple of Bond films had. They were insane.

Isn't Spectre one of the most expensive film ever made? Last I heard it was something like $450 million with marketing...

Top Bottom