• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0825-2717 - Guys & doll cut dancer off at knees, Hawkeye & Wanda team up meh

GhaleonEB

Box office GAF never sleeps. We wait.

My daughter wants to see IT with me opening weekend. Gonna get Friday tickets since she's in school. I never get advance tickets (small town theater), but I'm going to for this. Horror films are one of the few genres that get big turnouts.

kswiston

Dunkirk is looking good for around $50M in China based on presales. That will probably be enough for $500M worldwide.

This summer will be the lowest grossing summer since 2006.

Toa TAK

Banned
These at least have some personality to them unlike the others

But why are they playing things so... straight I guess. Where's the fun/satirical nature of it.

Where's something like this?
No Soifa Boutella this time.

That's the missing piece.

kswiston

So my 3 year old daughter pretends to be hosting a Youtube toy unboxing show when she plays with her toys. She is holding a pretend milestone celebration giveaway right now...

I suddenly feel very old.

Zackat

How low is this weekend's box office going to be? I know I am waiting for my MoviePass to go see some of these rather than pay full price.

I remember thinking Kingsman marketing was going to ramp up closer to release but it seems like they're kinda botching it?

Someone in one of the earlier threads was suggesting Kingsman might have a bigger OW than IT did by the time the month wrapped up, and it seemed plausible at the time but damn near impossible now

This is going to end up being the lowest grossing August since 1997.

That's the summer of CHAIN REACTION, right?

And Joe's Apartment

kswiston

I remember thinking Kingsman marketing was going to ramp up closer to release but it seems like they're kinda botching it?

Someone in one of the earlier threads was suggesting Kingsman might have a bigger OW than IT did by the time the month wrapped up, and it seemed plausible at the time but damn near impossible now

That's the summer of CHAIN REACTION, right?

And Joe's Apartment

Chain Reaction was 1996. It was the August of GI Jane and Conspiracy Theory.

Toa TAK

Banned
GI Jane?

The one where Ridley Scott attempts to nauseate audiences by zooming in the camera in and out as frantically as he could during the climax?

kswiston

GI Jane?

The one where Ridley Scott attempts to nauseate audiences by zooming in the camera in and out as frantically as he could during the climax?

I think that there was more buzz about Demi Moore shaving her head than there was for the film itself.

kmfdmpig

GI Jane?

GI Jane is one of those movies that, for me, has improved over time. When it came out I didn't care for it at all, but rewatching it a few years ago was a pleasant surprise.

J_Viper

While Apes didn't do as well as hoped commercially, it seems Fox has awards ambitions in mind for it.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/oscars-fox-best-picture-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-1202158378/amp/

Or will Warner Bros with an upcoming campaign for its summer smash Wonder Woman be able to tout the first comic book film to land a Best Picture nomination?

aha-ha

Apes will probably only be nominated for effects, and hopefully win, but the more attention drawn to this film, the better.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
While Apes didn't do as well as hoped commercially, it seems Fox has awards ambitions in mind for it.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/oscars-fox-best-picture-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-1202158378/amp/

Good luck to them. I don't see it though. The buzz already died down and the movie only came out a month ago. I remember people at least talking about Fury Road (and Furiosa) all summer. And Lord of the Rings was Lord of the Rings. Feels like Apes fell off everyone's radar, seems like a longshot for a genre film if people don't seem to care a month after release. Shoot your shot, Fox. I'm not mad at ya.

In Netflix news, What Happened to Monday is AMAZING and I'm pressed that nobody is talking about it in lieu of hate watching Death Note

They should make sharp dressed man the official theme song for kingsman. Put it over the credits too lol

It's such an on the nose choice but the use of it has made for some fun tv spots.

Also apes was a great blockbuster. It should warrant a win for best visual effects already. I don't see anything else this year touching that.

And I'd like to see baby driver get some nods for editing and sound.

Will be nice to see Nolan get that best director nomination in for dunkirk too. I think that's guaranteed at this point

snap

Banned
Best special effects of the trilogy, worst script.

I don't see best picture happening.

there was far more compelling character drama in that last one than rise, and arguably even dawn.

it's just a damn shame fox tried to sell it on the merits of it being an action movie when it really wasn't.

Dunkirk is looking good for around $50M in China based on presales. That will probably be enough for $500M worldwide.

This summer will be the lowest grossing summer since 2006.
I finally had time yesterday and went to see dunkirk. Glad i did. I also went to see birth of the Dragon.

In Netflix news, What Happened to Monday is AMAZING and I'm pressed that nobody is talking about it in lieu of hate watching Death Note

Yea, I really dug it. It kind of limps to the finish line but the first half is fan-fucking-tastic! But I'm a sucker for Noomi and the director of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

kswiston

Is that nominal dollars or tickets sold? Either is awful but nominal dollars would be unreal.

It's the worst August in unadjusted dollars since 1997. If you are going by ticket sales, it might be the worst August since films were popular. Definitely the worst in the 35 years that I can look up figures for on BOM.

Is... is this a new metric?

GAF has established that runtime = value. The Thor Ragnarok is now our standardized measurement of moviegoing value. You can rest assured that Villeneuve understands the plight of the moviegoing public, and is delivering a fantastic 1.7 Ragnaroks this October.

Top Bottom