• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

berzeli

Banned
Paramount is saved! (boxoffice.com long term prediction)
11/10/2017 Daddy's Home 2 $30,000,000 NEW $95,000,000 NEW Paramount
nP9tlUl.gif

(I don't actually believe it will make $95m)

I might go see mother!... I dunno. Haven't been to the cinema much this year, so I ought to watch something but it also doesn't seem like the kinda movie I'd make the journey and pay the ticket price for.

Maybe I'll go see Logan Lucky or something.

GhaleonEB

Wait what about the ending of It Comes would be anger inducing?

Sorry, I was posting about Mother! I was tired and misread your post. I saw It Comes at Night and enjoyed it for what it was, though the last act is highly problematic.

The title, trailer and related marketing are deeply misleading, though. It pitched a horror film about a family besieged by monsters/zombies/something. In reality it's a
atmospheric, tense story about trust and paranoia.

There were multiple walk-outs when I saw it, around the midpoint.

kswiston

IT is up to $371M worldwide after another $60M overseas this weekend. It is now the second highest grossing horror film of all time after the Exorcist. It will be #1 in 3 more days.

gamz

Sorry, I was posting about Mother! I was tired and misread your post. I saw It Comes at Night and enjoyed it for what it was, though the last act is highly problematic.

The title, trailer and related marketing are deeply misleading, though. It pitched a horror film about a family besieged by monsters/zombies/something. In reality it's a
atmospheric, tense story about trust and paranoia.

There were multiple walk-outs when I saw it, around the midpoint.

People walked out? Jesus

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) IT - $60.0M (-51%) - $219M total
2) American Assassin - $14.8M
3) mother! - $7.5M
4) Home Again - $5.3M (-38%) - $17M total
5) The Hitman's Bodyguard - $3.6M (-26%) - $70M total
6) Annabelle Creation - $2.6M (-35%) - $99.9M total
7) Wind River - $2.6M (-19%) - $29M total
8) Leap! - $2.1M (-13%) - $19M total
9) Spider-Man Homecoming - $1.8M (-7%) - $330M total
10) Dunkirk - $1.3M (-30%) - $185M total

Toa TAK

Banned
And TOA. I really don't know how others will react to it. It is love or hate, but it is definitely something to experience one way or another. And as I said before, in a loud theater. The sound design is so awesome.
Woah, hey, don't drag me into this mess.

I'm innocent

GhaleonEB

People walked out? Jesus

I saw walk outs during The Witch, as well. In both cases I really think it was a function of expectations - everyone went in expecting one thing and got something totally different. And more specifically, they didn't like that other thing. In the case of The Witch, it drew in a broad horror audience when it appealed to a subset, but despite that (IIRC it got a bad Cinemascore), it found its audience and went on to be a considerable success for the budget.

In the case of It Comes at Night, it drew in a horror audience, and delivered something in a totally different genre. I think the audience that would have liked it had the marketing been on point stayed away because they thought it was horror. And the film cratered as a result.

I can't really blame folks for leaving films when the marketing drew them in with false promises.

gamz

I saw walk outs during The Witch, as well. In both cases I really think it was a function of expectations - everyone went in expecting one thing and got something totally different. And more specifically, they didn't like that other thing. In the case of The Witch, it drew in a broad horror audience when it appealed to a subset, but despite that (IIRC it got a bad Cinemascore), it found its audience and went on to be a considerable success for the budget.

In the case of It Comes at Night, it drew in a horror audience, and delivered something in a totally different genre. I think the audience that would have liked it had the marketing been on point stayed away because they thought it was horror. And the film cratered as a result.

I can't really blame folks for leaving films when the marketing drew them in with false promises.

I always find it weird people pay 8-10 bucks for 90 minute movie only to walk out of it.

Perhaps if they stayed they would've like it. They'll never know...

Boke1879

I always find it weird people pay 8-10 bucks for 90 minute movie only to walk out of it.

Yea. I can see if you're there for like 45 minutes you might as well just tough it out. You've already paid the money.

I only spend money on movies I want to see. Regardless of if it is good or bad.

RedStep

On the other hand, if you really don't like a movie, you can generally walk out, get your money back, and just be out the time you spent.

You stay and you're out the money and even more time.

GhaleonEB

My perspective is, I tend to do things that I enjoy and stop doing things I don't pretty quickly. If a game sucks or I don't like it, I tend to spend very little time with it. Same with shows and other activities.

I've only walked out of two movies (well, three but the other one was due to the audience, not the film), in part because it's a lower commitment and as you said, it's a decent investment for the time. I left both because I didn't want to see the rest of the film. One was just so awful I decided to go play a game instead, and the other was good but a mistake because it was compounding rather than distracting from my depression.

I'm open minded enough that if a film is good, but unexpected, I can roll with it. But I understand leaving films you just don't enjoy at all. (And a lot of folks are definitely not that open minded. I wish they were, but I see it constantly.)

Bronx-Man

Banned
This is why I never give a shit about spoilers ever. If I go into a movie, I wanna know exactly what I'm getting so I'm not wasting my moolah.

gamz

Yea. I can see if you're there for like 45 minutes you might as well just tough it out. You've already paid the money.

And it's critically acclaimed movie. It's not a shit boring movie. It's lean, well made, with interesting characters. Dunno?

gamz

My perspective is, I tend to do things that I enjoy and stop doing things I don't pretty quickly. If a game sucks or I don't like it, I tend to spend very little time with it. Same with shows and other activities.

I've only walked out of two movies (well, three but the other one was due to the audience, not the film), in part because it's a lower commitment and as you said, it's a decent investment for the time. I left both because I didn't want to see the rest of the film. One was just so awful I decided to go play a game instead, and the other was good but a mistake because it was compounding rather than distracting from my depression.

I'm open minded enough that if a film is good, but unexpected, I can roll with it. But I understand leaving films you just don't enjoy at all. (And a lot of folks are definitely not that open minded. I wish they were, but I see it constantly.)

Makes sense. Just a shame because I thought the movie was wonderful if you gave it a chance.

GhaleonEB

This is why I never give a shit about spoilers ever. If I go into a movie, I wanna know exactly what I'm getting so I'm not wasting my moolah.

Used to be my mentality, bth. But lately, I see most films without ever watching a trailer. I've come to trust a handful of critics who align very closely with my tastes, and if they recommend a film I'll go blind. That's proven to be a more reliable method than trailers, since I've gotten burned on a lot of them. I've had recent experiences with trailers that really did subtract from the enjoyment of the film (Atomic Blonde comes to mind), and was enamored with some I went into blind (The Big Sick, Wind River).

Basically, if people I trust recommend a film, I don't need a trailer.

Makes sense. Just a shame because I thought the movie was wonderful if you gave it a chance.

I've lost track of which film we were talking about. :lol

But if you mean It Comes at Night, then yeah. I went in expecting horror, got something totally different, and enjoyed it on its merits. I wish it did better.

gamz

For the most part I avoid trailers on movies I want to see. I saw ICAN trailer and found that interesting and led me to the directors earlier film (Krisha) in which I adore. So glad I watched that trailer after the movie because it showed the entire movie.

kswiston

Spider-Man Homecoming is at $861M worldwide.

Scott Mendelson two days ago: "The picture has earned $847 million worldwide, and it’ll be over/under $855m by the end of the weekend. It may not get past Walt Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($864m)"

Perhaps he was referring to it maybe not getting GotG2 by Wednesday :p

Read a synopsis for It Comes At Night.

I don't get it. What's the thing people are upset about?
1) Misleading marketing advertised it as a horror film.
2) It's ultimately an entertaining but underwhelming psychological thriller that raises questions that never get answered.

I somehow knew it wouldn't be a horror film so my expectations were fair in that department yet I still wound up disappointed since there was so little in the way of plot resolution and Krisha is one of my favorites of recent years and this fell far below that quality bar.

kswiston

The it in it comes at night is paranoia.

But the marketing would have you believe it's zombies or something.

The film itself tries to hint at it being something tangible in a few spots. Like that stuff with the dog in the woods. I don't think that the marketing was the only issue. A lot of people go to films like that without watching trailers.

It was like "The Road: Stay at Home edition" crossed with a bit of "Outbreak", and given a less optimistic ending.

Do theatres not normally give refunds/passes? Mine do. Only walked out once though, for Grown Ups. No risk of winding up enjoying that one.

Top Bottom