• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•08-10•16 - #1 (& Oscar? >_>) elude Leo as TFA 4peats & breaks China

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMgdwvg.gif

I love how long that gif actually goes on.

gamz

2 billions is really an achievement. It'll be interesting to see how the sequels will be able to reach those numbers too.

I don't think they will. TFA is the perfect storm and it'll be hard to replicate.

They only thing that brings down Avatar WW is a new IP that lights the world on fire. TFA is a perfect example how damn hard it is.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I guess people realised they already owned New Hope so there was no point in going to the theater.

lol, well if that report about repeat viewers taking up a big chunk of the sales are true then it was only a matter of time before things dropped off.

So say I wanted to watch a couple Best Picture nominations on Monday. Which ones should I pick? I'm leaning towards Brooklyn & Room

gamz

So say I wanted to watch a couple Best Picture nominations on Monday. Which ones should I pick? I'm leaning towards Brooklyn & Room

I haven't seen Room, but read the book 5-6 years ago and it was amazing. The movie seems like It's a winner. So there's my input. LOL!

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

Revenant? The other two can be watched later on the small screen and you will still get the same experience but Revenant is worth experiencing in the theater if you have not watched it yet.

I haven't seen Room, but read the book 5-6 years ago and it was amazing. The movie seems like It's a winner. So there's my input. LOL!

It definitely looks like an interesting movie, with some dark ass subject matter

Revenant? The other two can be watched later on the small screen and you will still get the same experience but Revenant is worth experiencing in the theater if you have not watched it yet.

I don't think I can handle 3 hours of Inarritu

kswiston

So The Revenant would have taken the number 1 spot this weekend even if Ride Along 2 didnt exit. Star Wars fans can pretend that was the movie that took over for The Force Awakens if they want. It was true for the weekly total last week.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
It definitely looks like an interesting movie, with some dark ass subject matter

I don't think I can handle 3 hours of Inarritu

It is gorgeous! The visuals alone are worth the price! Nowhere close to 21 grams or Babel Inarritu.

Penguin

Looking at RT doesn't seem like critics are diggin on Ride Along 2... guess will wait until it's on HBO or something

It is gorgeous! The visuals alone are worth the price! Nowhere close to 21 grams or Babel Inarritu.

I'll have to mull it over. I'm all about Luzbeki and Leo doing their thing, but it feels a lot like Inarritu went up his own asshole for 3 hours and I'm not down for that. Hateful Eight was Tarantino for that, and at least that had some hooks!

It's a very good movie, though. Pair the tender/sweet romance film with the loud & fast dark comedy about the financial crisis.

*strokes imaginary beard*
Hrmmmmm

kswiston

The Force Awakens got beat by a local movie called Boonie Bears 3 in China today:

Boonie-Bears-III_poster_goldposter_com_18-400x559.jpg

It's second Saturday was $8.5M, down 73% from last Saturday.

Total to date is currently around $90M. TFA is looking at about a $110-115M finish in China.

generic_username

The Force Awakens got beat by a local movie called Boonie Bears 3 in China today:

Boonie-Bears-III_poster_goldposter_com_18-400x559.jpg

It's second Saturday was $8.5M, down 73% from last Saturday.

Total to date is currently around $90M. TFA is looking at about a $110-115M finish in China.

Damn that finish will be much lower than I expected.

Penguin

The first film got 18%

If you liked that, I don't think the reviews on this will matter much to you.

That's good to hear!

Also I didn't expect Star Wars would come in under Mission Impossible.

Wonder what Disney will do different with Rogue One

Abounder

Banned
$110m, China don't care about no space movies...unless it's Avatar.

Gravity - $70m
The Martian - $90m
Guardians of the Galaxy - $96m
Star Wars

kswiston

$110m, China don't care about no space movies...unless it's Avatar.

Gravity - $70m
The Martian - $90m
Star Wars

Gravity is already too old to be all that relevant. $70M in early 2014 is equivalent to what Star Wars is doing currently. Interstellar made $122M back in 2014, which would be well over $160M in today's Chinese market.

People in the Chinese BO forums were debating what Avatar's $200M in 2010 would be equivalent to today for a hollywood film. I think most estimated it at roughly the same as something making $800M in China today.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's good to hear!

Also I didn't expect Star Wars would come in under Mission Impossible.

Wonder what Disney will do different with Rogue One
China only segment where popular stars in China explain how the Chinese were the first to make midichlorians. Cut back to space battle.

jett

D-Member
With its Chinese prospects dwindling, is two bill still a lock for TFA?

Gravity is already too old to be all that relevant. $70M in early 2014 is equivalent to what Star Wars is doing currently. Interstellar made $122M back in 2014, which would be well over $160M in today's Chinese market.

People in the Chinese BO forums were debating what Avatar's $200M in 2010 would be equivalent to today for a hollywood film. I think most estimated it at roughly the same as something making $800M in China today.

Dat Abadar. To this day it's still the only movie where the Chinese government had to renege on their plan to remove it from theaters due to fan outcry, right?

kswiston

With its Chinese prospects dwindling, is two bill still a lock for TFA?

Yes.

However, Overseas minus China will have to hold well for The Force Awakens to beat Furious 7's $1.162B overseas. It's looking like it will need roughly $1.05B outside of China overseas to hit that mark.

Abounder

Banned

Forgot all about Interstellar, sorry Murph. These 'space movies' seem to make ho-hum box office numbers in China compared to the summer super hits. Unless it's Avatar. Then again, none of them really featured Chinese talent....c'mon Donnie Yen vs Darth Vader.

And for the hell of it here's After Earth and Jupiter Ascending, non-adjusted list of space movies @ China:

After Earth - $34m
Jupiter Ascending - $44m
Gravity - $70m
The Martian - $90m
Star Wars - $110m
Interstellar - $122m

gamz

Forgot all about Interstellar, sorry Murph. These 'space movies' seem to make ho-hum box office numbers in China compared to the summer super hits. Unless it's Avatar. Then again, none of them really featured Chinese talent....c'mon Donnie Yen vs Darth Vader.

And for the hell of it, Jupiter Ascending made $44m

Reason 119291201 why Avatar 2 will do 2B overseas. It's going to be freaking huge.

kswiston

Really? You don't think they can squeeze out another 300M

It depends what it does internationally this weekend.

It will be approximately another $300m after ths weekend. Titanic is at $2.181b.

In other news, Deadpool failed to pass the Chinese censor board. Given that a cut up version of Kingsmen passed, it must really take advantage of that R rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom