• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•16-18•13 - the butler did it! Paranoia does bad job kicking ass too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, that's Kickass 2's RT score??

I thought it was supposed to be good?

Where does Wolverine rank among the other X-Men films? $120M seems like a disappointing domestic run so far...
Well yeah everyone went and saw the first Wolverine film which sucked. Can't blame them for not wanting seconds. See that's the thing, they put out a shitty movie with an established property like X-Men and it does insane numbers, and then the studio thinks they can get away with making shitty movies based on the property, but then they try making something decent the next time around and when far fewer people go to see it the execs then say "well look at that, we should've just made it like the shitty one because it made more money!"

Decado

Wait, that's Kickass 2's RT score??

I thought it was supposed to be good?

Mixed opinions.

While it will certainly drop, the IMDB score is at 7.5. A disconnect between fans and critics isn't uncommon. Still, it almost certainly doesn't live up to the standards set by the 1st.

Well yeah everyone went and saw the first Wolverine film which sucked. Can't blame them for not wanting seconds. See that's the thing, they put out a shitty movie with an established property like X-Men and it does insane numbers, and then the studio thinks they can get away with making shitty movies based on the property, but then they try making something decent the next time around and when far fewer people go to see it the execs then say "well look at that, we should've just made it like the shitty one because it made more money!"

Dumb people with decision making and money are the worst.

Apparently Kick Ass 2 was absolutely awful. Still I guess it will do killer business on DVD/Rentals like the first one.

Fuck no it wasn't. It definitely deserves more success than what it made. I want my third one.

The Pacific Rim updated numbers make me want to cry tears of joy. I'm so happy that it did so well overseas. That is awesome.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
My dad & I took my 5-year-old son to see Planes today. He loved it. And the theater was PACKED. Not an empty seat. 2D, big auditorium, 1:30pm show.

mjc

Pacific Rim ended up right about where I expected it too...$400mil WW. Toss in DVD/Blu-ray sales and Legendary just might consider a sequel with the merchandising potential it could have.

johnsmith

remember me
So is it safe to assume that the awful reviews are what caused Kick Ass 2 to bomb? Opening below the original is really really terrible.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How did you like it though?

I thought it wasn't bad. It's pretty simple and focused on its target audience & doesn't try to be anything it's not. My dad & I both thought the reviews were overly harsh. I think that in some ways it's better than Cars 2. Mostly because Cars 2 had no idea what its target audience was and lost all the charm the first one had.

Slayven

The Butler commercials make that shit look the most eyerolling shit ever. Can't wait until it si on dvd and folks are live twitting it.

3N16MA

Banned
If PR gets a sequel they will have a larger China tie in. They will have Chinese characters more heavily featured and/or shoot some of the film in China.

kswiston

The Wolverine
Domestic: $120,458,000
Foreign: $214,800,000
Worldwide: $335,258,000

- The Wolverine is $10M away from becoming the largest film in the series overseas. It still has Japan and a few other smaller territories to open in, so it will get there easily. If it gets a Chinese release, it might end up close to $400M.

Percy Jackson
Domestic: $38,904,000
Foreign: $36,254,000
Worldwide: $75,158,000

- Percy Jackson is having a decent early start overseas. It might end up with a total similar to the first film.

Smurfs 2
Domestic: $56,912,000
Foreign: $150,000,000
Worldwide: $206,912,000

- Way down from the first film. It has enough future business to hit $300M, but I'm sure Sony was hoping for more.

The Conjuring
Domestic: $127,863,000
Foreign: $65,300,000
Worldwide: $193,163,000

- The Conjuring still has a bunch of markets to open in. It will probably end up being one of the most successful horror films of the past 20 years.

Now You See Me
Domestic: $115,996,000
Foreign: $158,000,000
Worldwide: $273,996,000

- Now You See Me has made close to $100M more than The Prestige and The Illusionist combined.

Rico

"Kick-Ass 2" was a lot of fun - just got back from seeing it. Enjoyed it a lot. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one too.

Heard it was marketing that screwed PR up...again.
It seems the only place where they succeeded in marketing is China...

Das...good, ja?

With blu-ray sales and merchandise money I think it should at least turn profit.

An actress that no one likes much in Japan.

Well I have always thought that it was just a internet thing. Just like GAF hates someone like Adam Sandler but he still rakes in cash when it comes to real world.

Toth

I enjoyed Percy 2 and hope a sequel is on the way to close the cliff hanger of 2. Not looking that likely though.

DarkFlow

Banned
I enjoyed Percy 2 and hope a sequel is on the way to close the cliff hanger of 2. Not looking that likely though.
I'm sure it will do well enough when you add in DVD. It's the kind of movie you don't want to be seen buying tickets too lol.

TylerD

"Kick-Ass 2" was a lot of fun - just got back from seeing it. Enjoyed it a lot. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one too.

Agreed. There was some pretty cheesy dialog but I really enjoyed it overall. No disappointment here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom