• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•30-11•01•15 - Bullock & Cooper's burnt brand(s) in crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$290k. Per theatre average was $120 over 3 days. That means, once you remove the distributor cut, the average theatre owner pocketed a cool $20 per day of showing Jem. If the film showed more than once, that's not even enough to pay the attendant.

Funny enough, 4 venues added the film this weekend.
Oogieloves had a better per-theater average in its second week than Jem.

Though to be fair, Oogieloves had a far worse opening weekend than Jem and then dropped from about 2,100 theaters to about 300. But still.

These last two weeks has made the theater I work at into a ghost town. Though that will end once Spectre comes out and probably won't stop until January.

Oogieloves had a better per-theater average in its second week than Jem.

Though to be fair, Oogieloves had a far worse opening weekend than Jem and then dropped from about 2,100 theaters to about 300. But still.

Oh god, I forgot about Oogieloves. Thanks for reminding me of that shit show. I think we had 10 people at most come watch it during the two weeks we had it. Does anyone know how well Freaks of Nature did? We had 2 or 3 in the theater per showing during my shifts and probably alot of no shows. Have any of you guys heard of the movie, To Hell and Back? We had it for one week, and it was a no show for every one of my shifts. I don't remember reading about it in past box office threads. We Are Your Friends did better at our theater than that movie.

Oh god, I forgot about Oogieloves. Thanks for reminding me of that shit show. I think we had 10 people at most come watch it during the two weeks we had it. Does anyone know how well Freaks of Nature did? We had 2 or 3 in the theater per showing during my shifts and probably alot of no shows.

Oogieloves was such a colossal disaster that it almost seems like it had to have been a Producers-style scam.

I mean, they spent $20M making that film and $40M marketing it. Where in the ever-loving fuck did all of that money go?

Oogieloves was such a colossal disaster that it almost seems like it had to have been a Producers-style scam.

I mean, they spent $20M making that film and $40M marketing it. Where in the ever-loving fuck did all of that money go?

Hookers and cocaine. This is movie execs we are talking about.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The better question may be, "How many box office threads will there be from Dec 18-20?"

TFA vs. Avengers AoU
TFA vs. Jurassic World
TFA vs. Avatar
TFA opening day
TFA midnight screenings
TFA opening weekend
TFA vs other SW movie opening weekends
Did TFA meet Disney's expectations?
Does TFA have legs to reach $1B domestic?
Will TFA reach $2B worldwide?
etc.
You are missing all the "BOMBA"* threads when it fails to reach 700M domestic/3B WW

sorry Bobby D:

kswiston

Good news Jem fans. The film's second weekend was massively underpredicted by close to 34%. Second weekend drop was only 72%, and that PTA has jumped all the way up to $160 per venue. In states with lower minimum wage, theatre owners probably brought in enough to cover the attendant's wages for 2 shows a day instead of my estimated 1.

Fun fact: Sony's top 3 grossing movies in the US are all Adam Sandler / Happy Madison films.

tumblr_les2zrXxiI1qa5oguo1_500.gif

G-Fex

The better question may be, "How many box office threads will there be from Dec 18-20?"

TFA vs. Avengers AoU
TFA vs. Jurassic World
TFA vs. Avatar
TFA opening day
TFA midnight screenings
TFA opening weekend
TFA vs other SW movie opening weekends
Did TFA meet Disney's expectations?
Does TFA have legs to reach $1B domestic?
Will TFA reach $2B worldwide?
etc.

Yeah... Nobody is gonna shut the fuck up about Star wars for a while.

inm8num2

Yeah... Nobody is gonna shut the fuck up about Star wars for a while.

Heh, I mean it's all in good fun. People are excited and they're going to want to talk about SW and all things related. I think I've just burned out on SW discussions, so I may sit on the sidelines in the wake of the movie's release. :p

Good news Jem fans. The film's second weekend was massively underpredicted by close to 34%. Second weekend drop was only 72%, and that PTA has jumped all the way up to $160 per venue. In states with lower minimum wage, theatre owners probably brought in enough to cover the attendant's wages for 2 shows a day instead of my estimated 1.

This is ice cold

G-Fex

Heh, I mean it's all in good fun. People are excited and they're going to want to talk about SW and all things related. I think I've just burned out on SW discussions, so I may sit on the sidelines in the wake of the movie's release. :p

Yeah..I won't be in any of them.

It'll be just like when those new dork souls games come out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Going from the trailer, the most dramatic moments in that story are stuff that happened decades ago.

My point is more that after Jobs died in 2011, they were getting Kutcher (and someone else) on board to do two Steve Jobs Biopics. The thing is, Jobs/Ashton Kutcher's piece came out in 2012? 2013? Within 1-2 years of Jobs' death: Still "relevant" for the masses.

This is coming out in 2015: 4 years after Jobs died. While the movie is probably great, for most people that's a "long time ago."

My point is more that after Jobs died in 2011, they were getting Kutcher (and someone else) on board to do two Steve Jobs Biopics. The thing is, Jobs/Ashton Kutcher's piece came out in 2012? 2013? Within 1-2 years of Jobs' death: Still "relevant" for the masses.

This is coming out in 2015: 4 years after Jobs died. While the movie is probably great, for most people that's a "long time ago."

I disagree. There are plenty of biopics of much less famous people. This film should have done a straight up Oscar release campaign with limited screens in Dec and slowly open up in Jan.

kswiston

What on earth is Oogieloves?

The shame of Cary Elwes, Jamie Pressly, Christopher Lloyd, and everyone else on that cast who was forced to accept the fact that they would take any role that would pay them.

oogieloves-big-balloon-adv06.jpg

oogieloves1.jpg

Funny enough, someone went through the effort to write a bot to boost the film's community rating on IMDB, Rottentomatoes, Metacritic, etc by flooding the film with 10/10 ratings.

The shame of Cary Elwes, Jamie Pressly, Christopher Lloyd, and everyone else on that cast who was forced to accept the fact that they would take any role that would pay them.

oogieloves-big-balloon-adv06.jpg

oogieloves1.jpg

Funny enough, someone went through the effort to write a bot to boost the film's community rating on IMDB, Rottentomatoes, Metacritic, etc by flooding the film with 10/10 ratings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1kVrIkDW6Q

Welcome to hell, enjoy your stay. Do note that there is not enough alcohol in the world to help you forget this abomination.

Which do you think is worse: Oogieloves or Delgo?

Toni Braxton getting lead billing, oh my god.

This got a wide release? The trailer seriously said "from the marketing genius behind Teletubbies." Wtf kind of advertisement is that?

Toni Braxton getting lead billing, oh my god.

This got a wide release? The trailer seriously said "from the marketing genius behind Teletubbies." Wtf kind of advertisement is that?

A shitty one. The movie was a gigantic bomb of epic proportions. The theater I work at had it for 2 weeks and that was only because we had nothing to replace it with.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Spectre - $28.0M
2) Peanuts Movie - $12.1M
3) The Martian - $2.6M - $190M total
4) Bridge of Spies - $1.8M - $51M total
5) Goosebumps - $1.7M - $61M total

- With Thursday Previews, Skyfall opened to $32.7M. Quantum of Solace made $27.0M on its first Friday. Spectre will end up somewhere around $70M for the weekend. I think all of us in the GAF winter game have overpredicted Spectre. It could easily miss $200M with this start if legs are closer to QoS.

- The Martian dropping a mere 26% in spite of Spectre launching is pretty impressive. It should break the $200M barrier within the next week

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Spectre - $28.0M

- With Thursday Previews, Skyfall opened to $32.7M. Quantum of Solace made $27.0M on its first Friday. Spectre will end up somewhere around $70M for the weekend. I think all of us in the GAF winter game have overpredicted Spectre. It could easily miss $200M with this start if legs are closer to QoS.

- The Martian dropping a mere 26% in spite of Spectre launching is pretty impressive. It should break the $200M barrier within the next week
Surprising if that's how it ends up over the weekend. I'm still hoping Warner Brothers can scoop up the rights to Bond and perhaps get Christopher Nolan to direct. Would be a perfect match.

FTF

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Spectre - $28.0M

No one cares
enough
about anything until Star Wars comes out it seems. I also expect MJ2 to underperform somewhat, ala MJ1.

kswiston

No one cares
enough
about anything until Star Wars comes out it seems. I also expect MJ2 to underperform somewhat, ala MJ1.

Spectre is reviewing poorly, and enough of its audience consists of older, more informed movie goers for that to matter.

Hazmat

Man, I saw the Oogieloves trailer before one of the Picar movies. It was so bad and bizarre that I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It actually made me feel weird, like I was having a fever dream.

Martian is decent but no where near 93% and deserving of this acclaim. It's a feel good movie with no real conflict knowing the hero cannot die. It's not like there is a crew that you know some will die, etc.

kswiston

Martian is decent but no where near 93% and deserving of this acclaim. It's a feel good movie with no real conflict knowing the hero cannot die. It's not like there is a crew that you know some will die, etc.

93% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't really mean anything beyond the majority of critics thinking the film was worth a watch. The average rating was 7.9/10

Also, by your logic, Apollo 13 was crap because we know ahead of time that none of the astronauts will die.

Cheebo

Banned
Surprising if that's how it ends up over the weekend. I'm still hoping Warner Brothers can scoop up the rights to Bond and perhaps get Christopher Nolan to direct. Would be a perfect match.
This is not the situation. The rights aren't up for sale. EON/MGM own them. They own and run the franchise. Pick the directors and so on.

They are just in the market for a new distributor of the films. The production is still done and wholly owned by MGM and EON. WB wouldn't be involved in the actual production. They would just distribute the film that MGM and EON produce.

martian is a mediocre ass space movie. it's pretty inoffensive though so I can see why it has such a high RT rating.

That's not really a quality aggregate, it's more of a 'watchable' meter.

Cheebo

Banned
Expected drop for Spectre. I know Spectre is going gangbusters in the UK, is that the case in the other foreign markets as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom