• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•31-11•02•14 - Gyllenhaal, under cover of night, crawls ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

A5m2NMG.jpg
bIRFjms.jpg
lO0OBCo.jpg
x4n00EG.jpg
gxeSDBy.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
94% Nightcrawler
eptv7.gif
08% Ouija
kavuF.gif
79% Fury (2014)
8vteV.gif
88% Gone Girl
0hJB1.gif
81% The Book of Life (2014)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
38% Before I Go To Sleep
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
48% Saw 10th Anniversary

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

‘Nightcrawler,’ ‘Ouija’ Tied for First in Deadly Halloween Weekend

“Ouija” and “Nightcrawler” are effectively tied for first place at the box office, providing a little excitement in an otherwise deadly Halloween weekend at the multiplexes.

Both films picked up roughly $10.9 million, but a clear leader will only be determined once final numbers come in on Monday. Whether the victor is “Ouija” or “Nightcrawler” it will still be the lowest grossing number one ranked film since the first weekend in September when “Guardians of the Galaxy” topped the box office with $10.4 million.

“Nightcrawler,” a twisty thriller about an ethically warped crime reporter (Jake Gyllenhaal) debuted across 2,766 locations. Open Road, which picked up “Nightcrawler” in Cannes, saw that there was a dearth of new Halloween fare and pushed the film back from its original Oct. 17 release date when it would have faced stiffer competition from Brad Pitt’s “Fury.” The film cost $8.5 million to produce and has been a critical favorite, with an skeletal looking Gyllenhaal picking up some of the best notices of his career.

“We saw an opportunity,” said Jason Cassiday, Open Road Films’ chief marketing officer, adding that even though “Nightcrawler” isn’t a horror film, it complemented the holiday because “it had dark complex themes that we really played around with in the marketing.”

Gyllenhaal also banged the drum for the picture, popping up on talk shows and doing surprise appearances at three screenings last weekend in three different cities.

“Jake Gyllenhaal was a marketing machine,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Rentrak. “His losing all that weight was a great peg for stories.”

After two weeks in theaters, Universal Pictures’ “Ouija” has earned $35 million domestically, a healthy return on a production budget of less than $5 million. It also held surprisingly well for a horror film, dropping just 45% from its opening — a rare show of endurance for a genre that typically fades fast at the box office.

Indeed, Universal Pictures distribution chief Nikki Rocco said she had expected the film to fall between 60% to 70% in its follow-up frame.

“This is an amazing hold,” said Rocco. “It was a nice choice for people that didn’t want to go tick or treating and didn’t want to stay home.”

Overall ticket sales were down more than 20% from the previous year’s numbers. Major studios steered clear of the weekend, because Halloween fell on a Friday, cutting into one of the biggest movie-going nights of the week. It’s another accident of the calendar with the holidays not lining up the way Hollywood likes given that 4th of July also fell on a Friday.

The other films hoping to take advantage of the lack of major releases were less fortunate than “Nightcrawler.” Clarius Entertainment’s “Before I Go to Sleep” bombed with a $2 million bow from 1,935 locations, below projections of $5 million. It’s the latest dud from the newly minted distributor behind “And So It Goes” ($15.2 million) and “Return to Oz” ($11.1 million). The psychological thriller starred Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth, the pair behind this spring’s box office nonentity, “The Railway Man.” Threepeat?

Though more seasonally appropriate, the tenth anniversary re-release of “Saw” met with even greater audience indifference. Jigsaw’s return mustered an anemic $650,000 in ticket sales. Like last summer’s re-release of “Ghostbusters,” “Saw’s” theatrical resurrection showed the limitations of revivals in an age where cinematic chestnuts are instantly available via streaming services.

Holdovers “Fury” and “Gone Girl” split up the bulk of adult audiences between them, earning $9.1 million and $8.8 million, respectively. With a domestic total of $136.6 million, “Gone Girl” is now David Fincher’s highest-grossing stateside release, supplanting “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” Rounding out the top five was “The Book of Life,” as the animated Day of the Dead film picked up $8.3 million, pushing its total to $40.5 million.

Coming in at number six, Lionsgate’s “John Wick” fell 44% to $8 million in its second weekend, pushing its total to $27.6 million. Seventh place finisher “St. Vincent” held strong, essentially flat with the previous weekend with $7.7 million, which brings its cumulative results to just shy of $20 million.

In limited release, Fox Searchlight’s “Birdman” is shaping up to be an art house breakout despite its oddball premise. The show business satire which features Michael Keaton as a former comic book film star picked up $2.5 million from 231 theaters, bringing its domestic total to $5 million.

“There’s a sense of demand for the film,” said Dergarabedian. “‘Birdman’ is the critical darling of the fall season and it’s getting universally great reviews coupled with incredible social marketing buzz.”

Sony Pictures Classics continued to roll out “Whiplash,” moving the drama about an aspiring musician from 46 to 61 screens and picking up $275,346, for a per screen average of $4,514, in the process. The film has earned $1.1 million since debuting a month ago.

“Citizenfour” benefited from controversy surrounding Edward Snowden. The NSA whistleblower documentary scored $210,049 for a per screen average of $5,677, after expanding from five to 37 screens. The Radius-TWC film has earned $210,049 after two weeks in theaters. The company’s Daniel Radcliffe horror film “Horns” was less successful, picking up $104,357 from 103 screens. It has been available on demand for a month, where it fared better, picking up north of $1 million.

Opera lovers keep turning out for “The Met: Live in HD’s” season at the multiplexes, as the live transmission of Bizet’s “Carmen” earned $2.3 million in North America.

The meagre box office returns were a throat clearing of sorts before the arrival next week of Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” and Disney’s “Big Hero 6,” both of which are on pace to generate north of $50 million when they debut. That’s the best treat of all for Hollywood.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Ended up seeing John Wick a second time a couple days ago, really wish it made more though. Gonna see Nightcrawler in a few hours!!! Glad to see it took the top spot.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
How have I not even heard about Ouija? I must be living under a rock.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Gone Girl will hit about $155 mil when alls done. That's great for an almost 3hr long R rated film.

What's Fincher doing next?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not particularly surprising, Nightcrawler was the big movie to come out this weekend, and Ouija is going off of Halloween for money. Also it's pretty much guaranteed that people didn't go to the movies because of the holiday. Can't wait for next week though.

Slayven

I thought Ouija's budget was 5 dollars and I was like "I can see that, maybe they made it on their own dime. And them GoPros can get some great footage".

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm impressed that Saw was in over 2000 theaters and didn't even get to a million.
I know it made the money back then, but when you consider the Ghostbusters 30th anniversary showing was in less theaters and still made more money.... yeaaah.

Cheebo

Banned
Nope.

Gonna be Steve Carell.

You think so? I think he is probably getting nominated at best. He really doesn't seem to be a huge factor in the discussion so far. It seems to be a pretty tough battle between Keaton, Redmayne, & Cumberbatch.

I hope it goes to Keaton but my gut feeling is Redmayne is the guy to beat.

I'm impressed that Saw was in over 2000 theaters and didn't even get to a million.
I know it made the money back then, but when you consider the Ghostbusters 30th anniversary showing was in less theaters and still made more money.... yeaaah.
That happens when you release so many mediocre sequels. The franchise has finally run out of gas.

I did not expect Nightcrawler to open at #1, that's great. I loved it. Gylenhaal needs to be nominated, and maybe win. Still haven't seen Birdman or Foxcatcher.

Another Guardians Update: Now that is truly Amazing
_______
Man!!!

Domestic / WorldWide Comparison
[#. Movie: (Domestic Gross / WW Gross)]
GotG: ($329,368,000 / $765,068,000)
ASM: ($262,030,663 / $757,930,663)
DoFP: ($233,855,197 / $745,979,363)
Cap 2: ($259,746,958 / $714,063,958)
ASM2: ($202,853,933 / $708,689,160)
MoS: ($291,045,518 / $668,045,518)
Thor 2: ($206,362,140 / $644,783,140)
Ironman 1: ($318,412,101 / $585,174,222)
Ironman 2: ($312,433,331 / $623,933,331)

The next title on the list is out of reach for now. But maybe with the sequel...
Spider-man 2: $373,585,825 / $783,766,341

But there might be some other titles on the list to beat before then.

and just for comparisons sake:
Spider-man 3: $336,530,303 / $890,871,626
Spider-man 1: $403,706,375 / $821,708,551

It's strange how there was no classic horror flick for Halloween weekend. Every year you see one open to like 20-30+ million and they're cheap to make. Missed opportunity.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Maze Runner also got off to a solid start in China this weekend. The movie opened to $13.7 million, which is roughly on par with The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Overall, The Maze Runner added $23.8 million for a new total of $208.5 million; including its domestic revenue, the movie has now banked over $300 million worldwide.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3951&p=.htm

Woot :D

Ridley327

It's strange how there was no classic horror flick for Halloween weekend. Every year you see one open to like 20-30+ million and they're cheap to make. Missed opportunity.

It seemed like there were far fewer people interested in seeing Saw again than Lionsgate hoped for. I wonder if this will put the brakes on the recent talk about revisiting the franchise.

That being said, Nightcrawler is pretty goddamned scary on its own, so that might count.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd never even heard the title Before I Go To Sleep, not even in passing, until I went to buy my Interstellar ticket yesterday.

Gone Girl will hit about $155 mil when alls done. That's great for an almost 3hr long R rated film.

What's Fincher doing next?

He's directing the full first season of Utopia (remake of the British series) for HBO. He says 2015 is dedicated to that show.

Jb

Wow Nightcrawler has a 94% on RT? Trailer looked cool, I'm glad it seemed to have turned out alright.

NIGHTCRAWLER OPENED ON 2800 SCREENS?!?!?!?!?

that thing looks like the weirdest indie suspense film ever
like that bug movie that's in a hotel room the whole movie
i can't honestly believe that's a big studio release

One of the best movies of the year, a LA neo noir centered around a sociopath that is creepier than most other horror movies and doesn't seem to have much mainstream appeal, is at no 1 at the box office?

Wow, so glad.
Fury or Nightcrawler? Which one should I go see guys?

Nightcrawler, easy.

Higgy

Nightcrawler was so much better then John Wick. Glad I washed that averaged overrated taste out of my mouth.

Gone Girl holding on nicely. Oujia had a nice hold as well. I would be surprised but remembered that it was a Halloween weekend.

GOTG officially 2nd overall this year. Should finish up in 4th behind Transformers, The Hobbit and Mockingjay.

Ridley327

NIGHTCRAWLER OPENED ON 2800 SCREENS?!?!?!?!?

that thing looks like the weirdest indie suspense film ever
like that bug movie that's in a hotel room the whole movie
i can't honestly believe that's a big studio release

It's got to be one of the most audacious wide openings in recent memory, especially for how dark and terrifying the film is. I don't know what Open Road was thinking with the move, but I'm glad they did it all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom