• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II and Far Cry 5 will support FP16 Rapid Packed Math

Will be interesting to see how the Pro (with FP16 at double rate) stacks up with the raw power advantage of the Xbox One X (FP32 only).

Have no idea what to expect in the real world gaming performance from FP16 at double rate, not sure how much it can be applied to in game engine.

I am not really expecting something huge but looking forward to the Digital Foundry and NX Gamer analysis.

No major console/PC/multi-platform developer is going to make a AAA game solely utilizing FP16, the areas FP16 is actually useful is relatively limited. There's a reason it was moved away from over a decade ago.

black070

With Playstation having a marketing deal for Far Cry 5, perhaps we could see it being leveraged for the Pro ? Doubtful though.

ethomaz

Banned
Everything old is new again. The first PC 3D graphics accelerators came about precisely because some enterprising people who worked in 3D graphics simulation in military and professional markets, realised that if you didn't need such precise maths, you could do some pretty fast 3D rendering for comparatively cheap cost on PC.

In the past we've had FP16 hardware support (NV30 I think, in 2003), more performance if you don't need the precision. I imagine it wasn't used extensively enough and was not included in subsequent designs. Now, here we are again. I imagine the rendering world has changed enough that we now maybe have more use for this.

Also, crucially, FP16 is useful in network training, which is a major market for the GPU designers today. This is likely the main reason for this feature appearing again in consumer GPUs.
It was heavy used in the past with a lot of performace beneficies but when the GPUs moved to Unified Shaders the specification was all defined with FP32 because at the time the FP32 units catch the FP16 at 1:1.

So while the performace is 1:1 there is no beneficie to use FP16 but if it is 2:1 then more and more devs will start to use it.

Even if it is a 10-20% gain in performace it is already great.

Syrus

Banned
All the haters are now looking at this in a different light now maybe. We finally have some big devs on board.

Not really. It will help gain some FPS for Pro but thats it.

Ita still minimal and wont make Pro that much better

FP16 has very real performance benefits. It's the reason Snake Pass (an UE4 game which uses a lot of modern shaders and effects) can run on Switch using it's baseline 157gflop GPU.

Great to see it being used in big name titles.

6 fps gain?

That can be the difference between hitting a consistent 30fps and not on console. Huge.

onQ123

There are no haters of the technology itself. What there are haters of, and I consider myself one of them, is the attempts by specific posters (onQ123, specifically) to present this technology (and any technology really) in a way that suits his console war agenda. The technology itself has some worthwhile benefits and I hope it is used extensively in the future.

Whatever I told y'all about this before we even knew the specs of PS4 Pro or Xbox One X all I told you was the facts & because y'all didn't understand you just attacked now people are looking like fools but instead of accepting that I was right you claim I was just being a console warrior.

Whatever I told y'all about this before we even knew the specs of PS4 Pro or Xbox One X all I told you was the facts & because y'all didn't understand you just attacked now people are looking like fools but instead of accepting that I was right you claim I was just being a console warrior.

No, you did no such thing. We've talked about it before so I won't go into this again, no reason to derail the thread.

Syrus

Banned
No, you did no such thing. We've talked about it before so I won't go into this again, no reason to derail the thread.

This guy is nuts. Hes insane in the FP16 threads.

He knows just as much as anyone that FP16 will NOT make the Pro match a certain other console.

It simply will help gain some fps period. Nothing more.

This is good news and noone is debating that but what hes always debated isnt about a good optimization tool its the destroyer of another system

jobrro

No major console/PC/multi-platform developer is going to make a AAA game solely utilizing FP16, the areas FP16 is actually useful is relatively limited. There's a reason it was moved away from over a decade ago.

Yes absolutely. If it could be applied to everything there would likely be something akin to double performance, if that was the case and everything was a simple conversion everything on PS4 Pro would be 4K native.

But it will still be interesting to contrast very similar consoles, the X with the 40% extra raw GPU power (and extra RAM capacity and bandwidth) and the console with FP16 at double rate. The FP16 at double rate could amount to nothing or very little, but I am interested to see either way.

onQ123

This guy is nuts. Hes insane in the FP16 threads.

He knows just as much as anyone that FP16 will NOT make the Pro match a certain other console.

It simply will help gain some fps period. Nothing more.

This is good news and noone is debating that but what hes always debated isnt about a good optimization tool its the destroyer of another system

Where have I ever said that fp16 was going to make PS4 Pro match Xbox One X? that's your insecurity that make you see those words when they are not there.

They're sacrificing precision for faster performance. This is basically a game of "how much can we compromise before people start noticing?" Which is, granted, what optimization is all about 90% of the time.

Reminds me of how N64 games tended to run at 16 bit colour for better performance, but this caused banding issues some games masked with noise. A select few allowed players to switch to 24 bit colour. The Gamecube was the same, but I don't think any games have players a choice between 16 and 24 bit.

Caayn

Where have I ever said that fp16 was going to make PS4 Pro match Xbox One X? that's your insecurity that make you see those words when they are not there.
Ahum. You should work in politics.
Until I see real Xbox Scorpio specs I'm forced to believe that they did exactly what I think they did..

Remember Microsoft never mentioned Xbox One's 1.3Tflops but now they announce Xbox Scorpio as a 6tflop console.

I'm guessing the APU will also need to have embedded ram for backwards compatibility with Xbox One so what are the chances of them fitting a bigger GPU than what is in the PS4 Neo in a APU with embedded ram?

The fact that Polaris can do half-precision computation gave them the chance to use the 6tflop line & the fact that Neo wasn't announced gave them the chance to say it's the most powerful console ever made.
I'm saying that Xbox Scorpio could be just like what the Neo is to the PS4 a APU with 2X the CUs with a higher clock speed & because Polaris is capable of half-precision computation Microsoft was able to say that it is 6tflops because

24 compute units clocked at 1Ghz would be 3tflops single-precision & 6tflops half-precision.

Polaris support native half-precision floating point calculations & because of that Sony could say that PS4 Neo is 8.4tflops because it would be true if they are using Polaris. .
I think the more likely scenario for Scorpio is 6TF FP16 but I would rather it be 6TF FP32.
PS4 Pro being 4.2tf fp32 / 8.4tf fp16 isn't something being said to make it look more powerful than Scorpio it's the actual specs. the fact that it upset you only says that you don't understand.
That's the real specs this isn't secret sauce
Why doesn't Sony advertise the pro as 8.4tf to counter the scorpios 6tf?
Because it is simply not 8.4 no matter what they do, its pure PR nonsense just like ESRAM and Cloud was nonsense

People are upset Scorpio is better then Pro because X1 was a disaster
It's 8.4tf fp16

Shin-Ra

Anyone get the impression Syrus is really trying to derail this topic?

It's just a performance improvement, nothing to see here!

edit: make that MilkyJoe, Sad Affleck (bringing the tired old OnQ argument back into this) and yourself.

BigEmil

Didn't The Surge do this?

DieH@rd

Banned
If devs are already doing the FP16 optimization for Pro games, hopefully they will bring that code to be used by AMD PC users.

idTech6 is a bit of anomaly since it is fully focused on Vulcan, which helps them to bring a lot of console code back to the PC land, but it is good to see that Ubi is also stepping up their PC game.

Gestault

I hope this plays out in a way that gives lower-end (but modern) chipsets a little extra "go." I know it's just a subset of rendering that can use the lower precision data, but especially if game engineers are "keeping an eye out" for scenarios that can take advantage of it, it's an interesting thing to show up in upcoming games.

I had mentally filed the capability under "neat but impractical," so this is something I'm hoping I was wrong about when benchmarks come out.

Syrus

Banned
Anyone get the impression Syrus is really trying to derail this topic?

It's just a performance improvement, nothing to see here!

...im doing the opposite. OnQ constantly derails any FP16 talk into 8.4tf blabla.

I think thisis great news and will benefit all gamers.

onQ123

...im doing the opposite. OnQ constantly derails any FP16 talk into 8.4tf blabla.

I think thisis great news and will benefit all gamers.

Really? because my name make it to most of these threads before I do so how is it me derailing the thread?

PS4 Pro being 8.4TF fp16 is a fact I'm not sure why people are still trying to deny that.

And what does that mean for gamers?
It's another thing you can throw at each other in system wars.

FP16 has been a thing for decades. We use them even without hardware acceleration, just to save space. It's nice the AMD has a special name for them.

martino

Really? because my name make it to most of these threads before I do so how is it me derailing the thread?

PS4 Pro being 8.4TF fp16 is a fact I'm not sure why people are still trying to deny that.

indeed useless facts are still facts.

martino

another useless fact is you will never see 100% benefit from using full fp16 in any game.

Shin-Ra

I guess it depends on how much effort the devs are willing to put into the Pro version.
Future GPU generations should benefit so it's not just a one-off gain and there's already an install base of Pro owners.

edit: from DF's Mark Cerny interview
"A few AMD roadmap features are appearing for the first time in PS4 Pro," Cerny continues, giving a broad overview of how the semi-custom relationship functions.

"How it works is that we sit down with AMD, who are terribly collaborative. It's a real pleasure to work with them. So basically, we go ahead and say how many CUs we want to have and we look at the roadmap features and we look at area and we make some decisions and we even - in this case - have the opportunity, from time to time, to have a feature in our chip before it's in a discrete GPU. We have two of these this time, which is very nice."

And that work feeds back into the Radeon discrete products too, useful in maintaining consistency between PC and console games development. Asynchronous compute, for example, has had a huge benefit for AMD on PC DX12 applications, specifically because of the additional hardware scheduling pipelines championed by Mark Cerny in the PS4 design.

"We can have custom features and they can eventually end up on the [AMD] roadmap," Cerny says proudly. "So the ACEs... I was very passionate about asynchronous compute, so we did a lot of work there for the original PlayStation 4 and that ended up getting incorporated into subsequent AMD GPUs, which is nice because the PC development community gets very familiar with those techniques. It can help us when the parts of GPUs that we are passionate about are used in the PC space."

In actual fact, two new AMD roadmap features debut in the Pro, ahead of their release in upcoming Radeon PC products - presumably the Vega GPUs due either late this year or early next year.

onQ123

another useless fact is you will never see 100% benefit from using full fp16 in any game.

did you even watch the video in the OP? for you to be in this thread saying that it is useless don't make any sense at all.

Gestault

Your info is totally legit for the topic here, but people have criticized the other circumstances you brought it up and your implications, rather than refuting the individual piece of info.

It's like repeatedly insisting on bringing up the fact that "some children who recieved vaccinations were later diagnosed with autism" in a thread about vaccine safety. That can be a factual statement, but it's being used to mislead.

ethomaz

Banned
Please stay on focus...

This thread is more about the gains/beneficies that FP16 RPM could give to games in hardware that supports it. A good future comparison can be Far Cry 5 with RPM enable vs disabled running in a Vega GPU.

It can beneficiares the Pro? Yes it can but it is not the main focus of the thread.

leeh

People are going a bit nuts here. Of course everything doesn't need FP32 and things will benefit from faster/less precision.

That PR sorta image looked good!

Agreed, I'll take more games with solid 30 or 60 on any platform.
This just takes more performance out of GPUs that support it. However, the insane pursuit of resolution and graphic fidelity that consoles have suffered since the PS360 era will mean that framerate will stay the same with a few more bells and whistles.
And the CPU limitations won't go away.

This just takes more performance out of GPUs that support it. However, the insane pursuit of resolution and graphic fidelity that consoles have suffered since the PS360 era will mean that framerate will stay the same with a few more bells and whistles.
And the CPU limitations won't go away.
I am all for developers having all the tools they need to make their game run as efficiently as possible. The pursuit of resolution was the wrong pursuit, we should have been pushing for framerate. Alas, that will wait another generation.

Whether they the feature is up to them.

Head.spawn

Do they use this for AO implementations? Since clarity isn't as much of an issue there, it seems like this would work perfectly there, no?

Top Bottom