• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein TNO: 2014 GotY + one of the best shooters ever *GIF WARNING*

BashNasty

Alright, I've gotta ask this, because by the end it really put me off of Wolfenstein, enough that I'm still a bit confused about all the praise the game gets.

Wolfenstein: TNO is a pretty solid game, but did anyone else have serious problems with getting enough ammo? I felt like I was constantly out of ammo or almost out of ammo. It was weird, I was constantly having so many problems with getting enough ammo that I really started to wonder if I was doing something wrong. As far as I can tell, I wasn't. I was picking up all the guns that were dropped (and getting a piddly amount of ammo with each one) bit I still felt like I was running out of ammo constantly, particularly if I was dual wielding. It annoyed me enough that I look back on the game with a fairly negative view of it.

Did anyone else have this issue? I can't believe it was just me. Everyone seems to utterly love this game, and I feel it's pretty damn flawed just because of that.

Alright, I've gotta ask this, because by the end it really put me off of Wolfenstein, enough that I'm still a bit confused about all the praise the game gets.

Wolfenstein: TNO is a pretty solid game, but did anyone else have serious problems with getting enough ammo? I felt like I was constantly out of ammo or almost out of ammo. It was weird, I was constantly having so many problems with getting enough ammo that I really started to wonder if I was doing something wrong. As far as I can tell, I wasn't. I was picking up all the guns that were dropped (and getting a piddly amount of ammo with each one) bit I still felt like I was running out of ammo constantly, particularly if I was dual wielding. It annoyed me enough that I look back on the game with a fairly negative view of it.

Did anyone else have this issue? I can't believe it was just me. Everyone seems to utterly love this game, and I feel it's pretty damn flawed just because of that.

I got to the final boss carrying basically full ammo for full weapons and played through on the second toughest difficulty the whole game. [not sure if ammo is restricted by difficulty though]

Guessing you didn't use the laser rifles or laserkraftwerk very much? All laser weapons including the mounted laser turrets could be recharged at those yellow power supply pods on the walls. Bam infinite ammo on weapons that can kill anything. I always felt there was too much ammo because of that. Always had full rockets for most of the game when they were available

BashNasty

I got to the final boss carrying basically full ammo for full weapons and played through on the second toughest difficulty the whole game. [not sure if ammo is restricted by difficulty though]

Guessing you didn't use the laser rifles or laserkraftwerk very much? All laser weapons including the mounted laser turrets could be recharged at those yellow power supply pods on the walls. Bam infinite ammo on weapons that can kill anything. I always felt there was too much ammo because of that. Always had full rockets for most of the game when they were available

No, I totally did use those weapons, I just felt like I had to recharge them way, way too often. Ammo just DRAINED out of every weapon I used.

No, I totally did use those weapons, I just felt like I had to recharge them way, way too often. Ammo just DRAINED out of every weapon I used.

Hmm that's odd. What difficulty were you on? Perhaps the toughest one has a notable drop in ammo availability? Otherwise I always focused on headshots and rarely dual-wielded the assault rifles so always had plenty of ammo for that to fall back on

Hubble

Beat the game, got every achievement for it, and don't know how the hell people say its GOTY material. Not even close.

It's not a terrible game but found it incredibly textbook average. Nothing special, nothing great, I would say a little notch below good to good. I love the universe of an alternative WW2 technological German regime with robot dogs but they didn't execute it in-game. It was just a typical run and gun shooter with less scale/ambition than like Resistance for example.

BashNasty

Eventually I dropped the game down to easy due to the ammo issues I was having (I started on normal, I no longer have any desire to punish myself with hard difficulties in games, finally made peace with that about a year ago) and I still had issues. Basically, I would take out one enemy with the laser rifle and find that I'd just used a third of ammo (charge? whatever) for it. Before anyone asks, I'm not a terrible shot either, I don't get all head shots, but I generally hit my targets. But yea, using the energy rifles as an example, it felt like I could take down about 3 enemies before having to recharge, which just befuddled me, it felt so fucking mistuned. I dunno, people seem confused that I was having this issue, which in some ways just confuses me more about it. I'm not a terrible, incompetent gamer, and it was a big problem for me.

Eventually I dropped the game down to easy due to the ammo issues I was having (I started on normal, I no longer have any desire to punish myself with hard difficulties in games, finally made peace with that about a year ago) and I still had issues. Basically, I would take out one enemy with the laser rifle and find that I'd just used a third of ammo (charge? whatever) for it. Before anyone asks, I'm not a terrible shot either, I don't get all head shots, but I generally hit my targets. But yea, using the energy rifles as an example, it felt like I could take down about 3 enemies before having to recharge, which just befuddled me, it felt so fucking mistuned. I dunno, people seem confused that I was having this issue, which in some ways just confuses me more about it. I'm not a terrible, incompetent gamer, and it was a big problem for me.

The laser weapons purposefully have less ammo capacity to balance out with the ability to recharge it at multiple points every level. A third charge of the laser rifle to kill a guy sounds about right. Although I would usually dual-wield laser rifles and it would take about 1/6th a charge or so to kill one guy.

I still had no ammo shortages on shotgun [main ammo, shortages on scattershot for sure though], the assault rifles or the pistols.

Were you completing the challenges to unlock the further abilities? Some of those added higher ammo capacity to weapons if memory serves

I can't say I did, I never ran out of ammo like some survival horror game :p I made sure to smash or laser every crate though. If you want to make smashing crates faster, switch to dual knives and you'll be faster in breaking everything. Also, be looking at the ground and spamming the button if you're out during combat and are retreating to get more ammo, which I can see people having an issue with rather than just auto pick up in most games.
Did you upgrade your laserkraftwerk to the point where you could auto-regenerate ammo after some time? There are quite a few recharge stations, just have to be scouring the level.

This was a decent game but is honestly better suited for a rental.
It can be beaten in a weekend.
I have no desire to replay the campaign.
Enjoyed it on the hardest difficulty and I'm not interested in cheat codes or collectibles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm replaying this again on PS4, Uber difficulty. This is probably my GOTY. Like, I just... it puts other shooters to shame. I don't have much more to add right now.

Top Bottom