• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein TNO: 2014 GotY + one of the best shooters ever *GIF WARNING*

Just finished it and the game certainly impressed me more than I originally thought it would. Halfway through the first level I was getting a real 'been here, done that' kind of feeling, but the game obviously has a helluva lot more in store.

Loved the sound and visuals, despite it technically not being totally up to par at times. The art direction and design was superb enough to make up for those flaws. All in all, it's a very beautiful, detailed game with great atmosphere.

The gunplay was pretty good, it's not its strongest point, though. There's certainly better out there. It felt a touch dated at times, but maybe that's exactly what they were going for.

Story/narrative/characters were mostly great. It does, however, frequently try to be two things at once - serious/dramatic and crazy/over-the-top - and in those instances, it fails. As a result, not all the character moments or narrative elements worked for me. It also doesn't invest quite enough in the characters to really make most of them worthwhile.

Game also felt a bit rushed towards the end, but that's a common thing in games. Hurtling ever quicker towards a massive boss fight, more and more action, seems to always be how it goes, but I can't say that's necessarily how I want games - particularly ones with a strong narrative focus - to end.

Often with games like this I wonder if paying more attention to the adventure parts and a bit less to the action parts would pay more dividends - more times when you're not shooting stuff, more character moments, more dialogue, maybe even dialogue choices, more ways to interact with the game world that don't require collecting items/loot and shooting things.

All in all, a very solid effort and Machine Games is definitely a dev I'll be keeping an eye on from now on.

joecanada

hey OP can you blow up that stealth knife kill GIF? Does the enemy just go jelly legged and do the splits? It looks hilarious and meme worthy... but a bit small

antitrop

Holy shit...

I know that I am super late to the party, but I went into Wolf:TNO expecting a shooter that FELT great. What I did not expect was the INCREDIBLE narrative, characterization, pacing, etc...

The moment you "figure out" "J", or the payoff to the Ramona diaries... just.... wow.

I am genuinely awed by this game.
Yeah, it's really a game that gets better the deeper you look into it -- which is also, ironically, the reason it didn't review as well as perhaps it should have.

Still playing, very impressed, for the ones that say it is average, I mean, everything comes together very well, I was in need of a violent shooter.

PS4 version runs flawless. Some textures are bad but like most 60fps games, it is annoying if you look for it, not an issue when playing for me. This is what happens in cross platform games.

I am getting the concrete sample after getting the choppers, that mission is great, the moon dome

sniperpon

Just finished the game last night.

I'm with the earlier poster that wished the game had an "arcade mode"; the levels that spent less time on story and scripted events, and more on letting you lurk around and approach things as you saw sit, were my favorites. The
u-boat and London Nautica
levels for instance.

The levels that focused more on point-A-to-point-B--
that stupid bridge level for instance
-- were tedious, boring, frustrating, or all three.

All told I thought it was a really enjoyable game. I liked the overall aesthetic-- some of the levels looked amazing-- and for someone who doesn't generally like cut-scenes and dialog, I thought the whole game was thoughtfully written. For instance, I laughed out loud at BJ's reaction to having unleashed the
"spindly torque"

I was playing the Xbox One version by the way; looked great.

Pilgrimzero

Played it. Beat it. I don't get the hype. Is it because you can duel wield assault rifles? Because you had a stealth system that was pretty much required to succeed?

Found the game somewhat clichéd and frustrating in some areas. The last area felt really tacked on, like they felt the need to wrap it up.

IMO Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a better game, but then again that was a true FPS and not a stealth/shooter hybrid.

seph1roth

Hi guys

Is there any possibility to change the audio language but without changing the subtitles language?

I'm spanish, and spanish dub is SHIT compared to original voices.

Thank you guys!

Hey WolfGAF... I've got a question. I'm on PS4 and I have a weird color issue in specific places in menus. I was able to capture it in video so you can see my explanation here: http://youtu.be/rTZT7wntomk. Has anyone seen anything similar (especially the PS4 crew)? I don't know what's going on.

Hey WolfGAF... I've got a question. I'm on PS4 and I have a weird color issue in specific places in menus. I was able to capture it in video so you can see my explanation here: http://youtu.be/rTZT7wntomk. Has anyone seen anything similar (especially the PS4 crew)? I don't know what's going on.

I'm 99% sure those red gradients appear in the perks menu whenever you complete an entire column. That's why your last two aren't colored.

Not sure about that green box issue. I've never noticed it myself but my brightness isn't too high, so maybe I just haven't paid too much attention.

I'm 99% sure those red gradients appear in the perks menu whenever you complete an entire column. That's why your last two aren't colored.

Not sure about that green box issue. I've never noticed it myself but my brightness isn't too high, so maybe I just haven't paid too much attention.

Ok cool. That does make sense. I wanted to make sure I didn't have something wrong with my console or game or something.

Kill3r7

Great game only let down by a somewhat rushed ending. It nails that old school FPS feel, running around like Rambo killing everything in sight.

jett

D-Member
Been playing this game. Pretty awesome.

But a game that got a shitcakes PC port can't be GOTY of any year.

ekim

Lttp: played the first level
(until you wake up in the 1960s)
yesterday... holy shit. The shooting feels just sooooo good. And the fact, that the game is supposed to only get better from this moment makes me want to quit work today.

Feindflug

Lttp: played the first level
(until you wake up in the 1960s)
yesterday... holy shit. The shooting feels just sooooo good. And the fact, that the game is supposed to only get better from this moment makes me want to quit work today.

Prepare for awesomeness, I also liked the first hour though the game is definitely getting much better after this.

And yeah the shooting feels fuckin' amazing.

I'm on my second playthrough, going for all collectibles and perks. Great game. Wasn't feeling it at first but it got better each level. Once I was in the prison camp it hit it's stride. That's the perfect level, well paced and a good balance of story, action and stealth.

My only problem is I did not get the achievement for some of the completed perks. I looked it up and it seems to be a common bug. Sometimes an achievement either takes hours or days to pop or won't at all.

Antiochus

How can this be possible? The MetaCritic ratings for both consoles and PC barely hover above an 80%, which is a textbook definition of what a mediocre game often charts. Most critics even in their praise are at best lukewarm about this game. There is a great divergence from player opinions here and the critics. Something must be going wrong here.

The Goat

That prologue does this game no justice. Had it been any longer, I might not have cared to continue. Glad I did, though! Game is shaping up pretty awesome. Once I changed the fov to 100, my head stopped thumping and my stomach flopping, and I could lay waste to Nazi scum for however long I felt.

The hiccups in the cutscenes are a bit of a let down, but overall, the game is great.

leng jai

How can this be possible? The MetaCritic ratings for both consoles and PC barely hover above an 80%, which is a textbook definition of what a mediocre game often charts. Most critics even in their praise are at best lukewarm about this game. There is a great divergence from player opinions here and the critics. Something must be going wrong here.

The game is overrated on Neogaf.

saunderez

That prologue does this game no justice.

That's very true. Game takes a crazy long time to pick up, and I can see a lot of people writing it off well before they get to that point. Hell, I pretty much did that myself, I only revisited it due to my recent "push to complete a game for a change" and I'm glad that I did.

80% on Metacritic is mediocre? I think you need to learn how averages work, 80% on Metacritic means reviews were overwhelmingly positive. If it was 60% you might have a point, but 80%? 80% is solid to good.

SeanTSC

80% on Metacritic is mediocre? I think you need to learn how averages work, 80% on Metacritic means reviews were overwhelmingly positive. If it was 60% you might have a point, but 80%? 80% is solid to good.

Seriously. Since when is 80% anything less than Good? Jesus, people have fucked up standards if that's not a joke heh. Even 70s are still fairly good games, you really have to get into the 60s to start being mediocre.

SeanTSC

...or it is good?

It even might be some user's game of the year, you know, as individuals.

Yeah, it's definitely mine so far this year. There's still tons of games coming out and something else could very well knock it out for me, but it's definitely a contender and the best FPS I've played since Half Life 2.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Metacritic aggregates don't mean much. Take DK Tropical Freeze for example, another game that's (rightfully) praised to high heavens here, but 'only' has a Metacritic of 83. That's still really good, but you'd expect it to be higher. Wonderful 101 only has a Metacritic of 78, and is considered by many as an excellent action title... You will still find games that are very popular here at around 75 or less. I only use Metacritic to create an early wishlist if I just got a new system. For eveything else, I look gaf impressions/posts.

leng jai

...or it is good?

It even might be some user's game of the year, you know, as individuals.

Yeah it's good, I platinum-ed it myself. There's no question it's overrated as a collective on this board which tends to happen when old-school or "out of the box" type games actually end up being competent.

Just finished. Loved it, hard to say if its my Game of the Year, but it definitely got its hooks into me. I thought the pacing and character development were great. I feel kind of crazy but it reminded me of Half-Life 2 sometimes. The ending had a lot of self restraint as I thought they were going to play the
you've been a super soldier this whole time!
card.

Tomorrow i'll do my Uber play through and then it'll be my first game I've ever platinum'd. I just went back and blasted through the first chapter to get the trophy for saving Wyatt. I had no idea that there are rooms locked to his timeline and that explains this whole section in Chapter 3 that shows up on the map that I could not figure out how to get to and ended up thinking it was unused space.

Yeah it's good, I platinum-ed it myself. There's no question it's overrated as a collective on this board which tends to happen when old-school or "out of the box" type games actually end up being competent.
Question, how is it overrated as a collective on GAF? I see this thread with a lot of compelling reasons why someone would like this a game, made up of a small group of even just active users at any given time. There is probably a OT somewhere too, and that is about it. So somewhere near 2ish threads compared to, I don't know, 50ish threads of Last of Us. Those are some pretty broad strokes you are painting. Maybe i'm overreacting but i'd never throw any NeoGAF hive mind statements out there, I think this community is pretty diverse with opinions on all games.

ironcreed

Banned
I just started playing it the other day and love the gameplay. It has a nice old school meets new school vibe going on and I appreciate that, but the game itself is not blowing me away or anything. No way would I put it up there with the likes of Half-Life 2. I just don't get that kind of praise.

I just started playing it the other day and love the gameplay. It has a nice old school meets new school vibe going on and I appreciate that, but the game itself is not blowing me away or anything. No way would I put it up there with the likes of Half-Life 2. I just don't get that kind of praise.

It's more surprising to me that so many people still consider Half Life 2 the benchmark. Riddick holds up better than HL2 IMO. Better paced, no silent-protagonist-locked-in-rooms-being-talked-at storytelling, and more satisfying combat (though they're both showing lots of jank at this point)

ironcreed

Banned
It's more surprising to me that so many people still consider Half Life 2 the benchmark. Riddick holds up better than HL2 IMO. Better paced, no silent-protagonist-locked-in-rooms-being-talked-at storytelling, and more satisfying combat (though they're both showing lots of jank at this point)

It's strange. The game just has this quality about it (despite being dated) that makes it so replayable. It is just one of those timeless games for me. And yes, Escape from Butcher Bay is up there as well.

As for Wolfenstein: The New Order? It is great fun for sure, but no way in hell will I be returning to it years from now in order to relive the experience. I might play it twice and that will be about it. Probably just once.

If this is a reference to me, I don't think it's as good as Half-Life 2, but certain things gave me HL2 déjà vu. I can't put my finger on it though, maybe it was how the narrative played out sometimes.

ironcreed

Banned
If this is a reference to me, I don't think it's as good as Half-Life 2, but certain things gave me HL2 déjà vu. I can't put my finger on it though, maybe it was some of the narrative.

Oh, not referring to you at all. I have just been hearing so many comments stating that it is the greatest shooter since Half-Life 2, which of course made me go buy it. I was going to hold off, but felt I really needed to play it after hearing such praise. No regrets, it's a fun game. It is just not something that I am going to look back on and remember or return to like Half-Life 2.

Marjar

Banned
I finally got a chance to play this today, and I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed after playing a few hours of it.

Gunplay is good but doesn't even come close to the likes of amazing shooter games like Half-Life 2, Halo, or F.E.A.R. to me. Dual wielding especially is much less satisfying than I expected. Enemies also feel like massive bullet sponges at times which is one of my biggest pet peeves with FPS games.

Best part of it so far is probably the story and writing, which is definitely better than I was expecting. Still after hearing all this hype for it, I'm a bit disappointed. Getting a pretty big "game I'll beat once and be done with" vibe from it.

jonabbey

I've been enjoying it a lot on PS4. It really does scratch that old timey FPS itch quite well. I was a huge fan of Starbreeze's The Darkness, nice to see they can still rock it.

*SPOILERS* Defeat, exhaustion in Wolfenstein: The New Order (Ed Smith)

Great post on the tired nature of the characters and how they're a bit deluded, hiding from reality (J and Tekla).

wno1.jpg

Juraash

Just finished this game on PS4 on Sunday and I was pretty floored overall. They gave way more depth to the story and way more humanity to the characters than I ever though possible. BJ could easily be as one note as they come, but they transformed into a character that I liked and felt for over the course of the story.

Also a few parts genuinely disturbed me. As silly as some of the stuff is in that game, the villain being named Deathshead ffs, robot dogs, cyborgs and Jewish super weapons, they crafted the story in a way where it didn't feel silly or overblown and made you feel repulsed by some of the things you saw. I know I had family impacted by the holocaust...so maybe some of these fictional atrocities bothered me more? But I'm giving the credit to the creators that they just told a powerful story.

This game was fantastic and I'm super glad I gave into the buzz around the it.

Anung

Un Rama
I don't intend this to be a plug. More that I really loved this game and wanted to share that. Seriously I can't get this game off my mind. Spoilerific mind.

Is this the Game of the Year?

I can't think of the last time a game has been on my mind this much.

antitrop

Damn, that guy gets it. Good, short read.

I like how he connects the main theme in with the rest of the game.

I don't intend this to be a plug. More that I really loved this game and wanted to share that. Seriously I can't get this game off my mind. Spoilerific mind.

Is this the Game of the Year?
I beat the game 3 months ago and I still think about it. Often.

I think about the soundtrack, I think about the characters, I think about some of the newspaper clippings, I think of the cutscenes, the dialogue, the locations you visit...

The actual gameplay being so good to play through at the time now almost just seems like a bonus.

Erevador

I am finally playing this game and... wow. This is exceeding my expectations in every way. I expected a good visceral shooter, but I didn't expect such a thoughtfully constructed story, such memorable characters, and such an interesting take on an alternate history. It's also done such a good job of genuinely motivating me to want to really deal some death. The constant barrage of Nazi atrocities really fuels your desire to deal some revenge.

What a brilliant game. I haven't had this much pure fun with a shooter in years.

nilbog21

Banned
Beat this game last night.. Been a long time since I've completed a game's campaign.. Absolutely stellar game. I'm a PC elitist but this game might be the best FPS since Half-Life 2. Gameplay feels very tight and the level design is very good. Everything about the game is high quality, but I still skipped all the cut scenes. Because video game cut scenes. GOTY for me.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I just beat it as well. I thought it was good but not great, probably a 7.5/10 in my books, I agree with the poster above that said that it's overrated on GAF. The graphics on the PS4 were pretty disappointing, it looked like a 1080p last gen game, probably the worst of all the cross gen games I've played yet.

I did love the fact that it was a totally old school style shooter, though that old schoolness did lead to some frustrating moments. Machine games also built a very convincing Nazi hell on earth, but the story itself was kinda average. The main character was extremely cliché and I didn't feel any sort of attachment to him.

In the end though, shooting Nazis was very satisfying :D

No old school FPS fan should miss out on this, though fans of newer FPSes, like CoD or Halo, probably won't enjoy it as much.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I really wish this game had MP. I beat it once and havent really picked it up since. Had a blast playing it though.

I really wish this game had MP. I beat it once and havent really picked it up since. Had a blast playing it though.

While a fully fleshed out MP could be good, some type of horde mode seems like something they really could've done or add in later and then you would get to really experience the gunplay

Top Bottom