• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein TNO: 2014 GotY + one of the best shooters ever *GIF WARNING*

Thanks for the topic: I bought and loved the game. Great story, great characters, nice writing.
Best part was
J's death. Absolutely fantastic character my God
I think they could've pushed in the end with all the characters dying heroically by bringing some fucking nazis down, one after the other like flies.
It's especially a great game because in the last few years nazis in media became laughable. Wolfenstein brought back scary nazis as it should be. Totenkompf was a great villain (Ihoped he would reference Hitler at some point in a weird way, like making a comment saying that he's much better than him or something like that).
The gameplay was good even though it didn't blow me away honestly, the stealth part didn't work for me. The usual problem: sometimes you are crouched in front of an enemy and he's like "Uh? Who's there?" and sometimes you are a hundred meters away and an enemy which gives you his back still manages to spot you. I suck at stealth sure but a couple of times it wasn't my fault I got caught, whatever anyway.
A solid 8.5/10 for me.

MauroNL

Bought the game using the Gamestop credit when it was on sale last week on Xbox One. Gotta say I'm surprised to see how much fun this game is! Started the game on Hard and it's a damn bitch haha. Died so many times already, guess I gotta figure out the right time to start running and gunning.

Wiseblood

I just did a 999 run (which did give me the Uber hero achievement for those wondering if you can get it that way) and man, dual laser marksman rifles with infinite ammo is fucking ridiculous. Non stop dumping.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just completed it, thought it was fantastic. Most fun I've had playing a shooter since Bulletstorm. I take it the choice you make in the beginning isn't that impactful on the story? I may just restart the game either way, I feel like replaying the earlier levels.

I like that there's a slide kick, but I played on kb/m and I never really used it.

Loved using the pistol in this game. I liked the combo of stealth/guns blazing that the commander rooms provided. Sneak around taking care of commanders, then just go all out on what's left.

jem0208

Just completed it, thought it was fantastic. Most fun I've had playing a shooter since Bulletstorm. I take it the choice you make in the beginning isn't that impactful on the story? I may just restart the game either way, I feel like replaying the earlier levels.

I like that there's a slide kick, but I played on kb/m and I never really used it.

Loved using the pistol in this game. I liked the combo of stealth/guns blazing that the commander rooms provided. Sneak around taking care of commanders, then just go all out on what's left.

If you're going to restart don't just click new game. Select chapters then the first one. That way you get to keep all your perks "new game+" style.

There only major differences are the soldier's dialogue, armor/health upgrades and one of the other resistance members being a different character (and they have extra conversations/cutscenes throughout). The game is worth replaying anyway, so it's worth going back to see it.

Also, remap crouch close to WSAD and it'll make sliding easier.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Also, remap crouch close to WSAD and it'll make sliding easier.

Yeah did that, mapped it to C, still a bit of a pain to get consistently. But I'll train more at it.

Ooh so if I pick the other guy, I get other upgrades? So that explains why I thought I missed every single health upgrade in the game, and only got armor ones

And I'll load chapters, thanks for the advice. I think there's enough incentive to play through this again.

Noticed a lot of people have "platinumed" this game? How hard exactly is it?

Loving it so far and want to get the most out of it but not sure how hard it is. And don't want to look at trophies in case of any spoilers.

SeanTSC

Noticed a lot of people have "platinumed" this game? How hard exactly is it?

Loving it so far and want to get the most out of it but not sure how hard it is. And don't want to look at trophies in case of any spoilers.

Platinum is pretty easy. Basically just 1 full playthrough + chapter select to get all the collectibles and replaying the first level to start the other timeline. You also need to unlock all the "skills" which is fairly easy. Not sure if you need to play full the through game on the Hardest difficulty since the latest patches, but previously you could just do chapter-select on the last chapter and get the difficulty trophy that way. I played through the game on the hardest setting my first go through and it none of it was frustrating anyways though.

Platinum is pretty easy. Basically just 1 full playthrough + chapter select to get all the collectibles and replaying the first level to start the other timeline. You also need to unlock all the "skills" which is fairly easy. Not sure if you need to play full the through game on the Hardest difficulty since the latest patches, but previously you could just do chapter-select on the last chapter and get the difficulty trophy that way. I played through the game on the hardest setting my first go through and it none of it was frustrating anyways though.

That's good to hear. I weirdly enjoy mopping up collectibles. I guess that's why Ubisoft always drag me into their games. it's borderline OCD!

I just started playing, up to the beginning of the second mission (1960s), and I don't think I ever felt more motivation to kill the enemy in any game ever.

It's the most satisfying thing in the world.

antitrop

I'm close to finishing Chapter 9. In the beginning, I thought this was a really good game. Now, I'm convinced it's a landmark FPS game in the vein of Bioshock and the Half-Life series. The beginning of this chapter (on the Wyatt side) had a scene that really solidified that sentiment for me, personally. I transcribed my favorite part of it:

You're a patriot? Blue eyed jarhead motherfucking Nazi-killing patriot that you are... you're still a fucking puppet to the man. You're exactly the kind of guy they ordered in come lynching time. You don't get it, do you? Before all this. Before the Germans. Before the war. Back home, man, you WERE the Nazis

And the animations to go with it! The way BJ tilts his head up at the beginning of the scene as he points at J. The tension in the room is palpable the whole time.

Source
Oh my God, I've never seen this cutscene before.

That was incredible.

Well, this is the first game I got with my PS4 and I'm having a blast. I like how much of a throwback to the older FPSes it feels without feeling too derivative. It's really Doom meets Inglorious Basterds.

"You put a Nazi on the Moon? Fuck you, Moon" is one of my favorite lines ever.

QaaQer

Oh my God, I've never seen this cutscene before.

That was incredible.

did you see the one
where the woman is having an existential crisis in the middle of the night and ends her diatribe by calling BJ a laughing anus?
. That was some pretty smart writing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
did you see the one
where the woman is having an existential crisis in the middle of the night and ends her diatribe by calling BJ a laughing anus?
. That was some pretty smart writing.

Is that a Fergus exclusive scene? Because I didn't get that one. Got a link?

Dex815

Is there any way to avoid the stupid German version? Last Steam sales I bought the game here in Germany, and even if it is warned that the Nazi iconography is gone, I didn't notice that the language is only German (audio, menus and subtitles!). Apparently they have also censored the dialogs replacing words like Nazis, Order, Jews... I don't care for that, I would be happy playing even that censored version, but with English text at least....

I live in Germany, but I don't speak German, so I had to open a ticket for support to help me with the issue, and they refunded my money (even if that is not allowed by the EULA, it was a "customer service gesture", I guess that I deserved it after almost 450 purchases in the store...).

Prior to open that ticket I looked for some way to replace at least the text, and not only I couldn't find a way to do it, but also I learned that apparently is not possible to activate a non "German edition" in this territory, not digitally and neither physical. Even worst, apparently they fucked it up and for X days/months this censored only German edition territory was applied not only to Germany but also to nearby countries where German is not the main language...

Does anyone knows about a workaround to the issue?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

oh so it is, never seen that character before.

btw I was replaying a chapter and somehow I skipped over this in my first run

wolfwcrlqcn.gif

Finally finished Killzone Shadow Fall yesterday after owning it since launch and having since played Wolfenstein....Was not a good decision. KZ can't stack up.

I have a feeling I'll be saying that for the majority of upcoming campaign focused shooters. Wolfenstein has that special something. If only they had the tech Guerrilla has.

Rich!

Fucking amazing game, but I really missed the cheesy pulp feel of RTCW. Felt like TNO took itself a bit too seriously.

Nodnol

I am simply posting to acknowledge how awesome this game was.

I 1000/1000'd it in a weekend, only the second game I've ever done that with.

I need a sequel.

AEREC

Surprised to see all the glowing comments here....to me the game is about as generic as they come. Love the Wolfenstein series but Im not really liking the feel and tone of this game.

Finally finished Killzone Shadow Fall yesterday after owning it since launch and having since played Wolfenstein....Was not a good decision. KZ can't stack up.

I have a feeling I'll be saying that for the majority of upcoming campaign focused shooters. Wolfenstein has that special something. If only they had the tech Guerrilla has.

I feel like Shadowfall will get that feeling the worst, since other than Wolfenstein, its the biggest FPS in recent years to have aspirations towards HalflLife 2's level design and pacing. Similarities make the difference in quality all the more apparent.

LOVE this game and then I came to the sewer tunnel bit, which is one of the worst chunks of any game I've played in a while. I'm stuck on it now and just can't be bothered getting past it. Grumble.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LOVE this game and then I came to the sewer tunnel bit, which is one of the worst chunks of any game I've played in a while. I'm stuck on it now and just can't be bothered getting past it. Grumble.

Oh that's a boring part for sure. Bite the bullet, it picks up again after that. It's the only bad section in the game

QaaQer

Not only campaign shooters, but others as well. I finished TNO then started Destiny and was underwhelmed.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Just sent this back to GF, pretty much hated it. I like the alternate history aspect, but it wasn't fun to play. I don't understand all the love for his game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
do you like single player FPS campaigns in general?

Of course, I've been playing them since the original Wolfenstein. Nothing about this game stood out. Crappy stealth, strange weapon switching, poor auto saving, insta-deaths from dumb robo shit, etc. it was more frustrating than anything. Next I'm playing COD sp, I'll see how it stacks up.

QaaQer

Of course, I've been playing them since the original Wolfenstein. Nothing about this game stood out. Crappy stealth, strange weapon switching, poor auto saving, insta-deaths from dumb robo shit, etc. it was more frustrating than anything. Next I'm playing COD sp, I'll see how it stacks up.

I don't think any one thing in this game stands out except for level design; but for some like me, the sum of the parts just clicked. I hope I'm not over-selling it.

I also think people should go in knowing that it was made by a team of just 50. There is jank.

StuBurns

Banned
Just played the opening couple of parts, the story seems cool, but the design is really bland and very disappointing for all the 'GOTY' chatter surrounding the game. Hope it picks up.

gdt

I finished this a couple of days ago and I'm replaying the alternate timeline now. I loved the shit out of it. I wish the ending was longer, but thats for the sequel I guess. What a great cast of characters.

Top Bottom