• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein TNO: 2014 GotY + one of the best shooters ever *GIF WARNING*

Gator86

Wow, my game just crashed in the middle of the final boss fight then my file corrupted and I lost progress. This is heading back to gamefly the minute I finish this slog.

Ok, so I just recently finished the game on UBER difficulty thus giving me the platinum trophy. But boooy was it hard!

It was hard because
I played on Wyatt's timeline
no health upgrades, only armour upgrades which did nothing to help me. Unlike
Fergus' timeline
which gives you the opportunity to upgrade your health.

All im saying is that I if you plan to play the game on UBER difficulty, play on Fergus' Timeline.

Bought this a couple days based on the recommendation of this thread.

So far it's pretty good. The first level is not that great but it picks up pretty much straight after. The cutscenes, story and characters are very well done and had me emotionally invested quite quickly.

One thing though...this game looks like ASS! I've seen some nice shots of this game using tweaks etc but we get these textures from the game at it's highest settings? Holy shit. How is a game from 2014 shipping with textures like this!!??

wolfneworder_x642014-jqkgg.jpg

Cudder

Ok, so I just recently finished the game on UBER difficulty thus giving me the platinum trophy. But boooy was it hard!

It was hard because
I played on Wyatt's timeline
no health upgrades, only armour upgrades which did nothing to help me. Unlike
Fergus' timeline
which gives you the opportunity to upgrade your health.

All im saying is that I if you plan to play the game on UBER difficulty, play on Fergus' Timeline.

You shouldn't have started a new game. Go back to chapter 1 via chapter select and you get all the perks you've acquired as well as the timeline specific bonus.

Daemul

Just finished the game, and I gotta say it was awesome. The final boss was a pain in the ass, so I
just spammed rockets into his face and took him down quickly.

The characters are really good. Fergus is the man, plus a fellow Scot. Telka made me smile on numerous occasions, she is one eccentric genius. The romance with Anya was far better than I was expecting,
though I figured out that she was Ramona about half way through her diary reading, she is one crazy woman it seems. She has issues to sort out though, she was displaying psychopathic behaviour in her journal, way too much unnecessary killing from her, regardless of whether or not the people she was killing were Nazi soldiers. You can take this crusader shit too far, leading you to become just as bad as the people you are killing.

I'm planning on replaying the game and going Wyatt's path, but I've been told it's a waste of time, I might just stick with Fergus's path if that's the case.

Just finished the game, and I gotta say it was awesome. The final boss was a pain in the ass, so I
just spammed rockets into his face and took him down quickly.

The characters are really good. Fergus is the man, plus a fellow Scot. Telka made me smile on numerous occasions, she is one eccentric genius. The romance with Anya was far better than I was expecting,
though I figured out that she was Ramona about half way through her diary reading, she is one crazy woman it seems. She has issues to sort out though, too much unnecessary killing from her, regardless of whether or not the people she was killing were Nazi soldiers.

I'm planning on replaying the game and going Wyatt's path, but I've been told it's a waste of time, I might just stick with Fergus's path if that's the case.

Wyatt's timeline is great, J is a great character. There's more of an underdog path for Wyatt that I like the journey of more. It's worth it simply because he doesn't swear AT ALL until one single moment with a helicopter and a Supersoldaten.

mcflyOS

Banned
I really enjoyed this game, felt compelled to beat it in the first two days I had it. Felt best with keyboard and mouse though, especially the dual-wielding.

Daemul

Wyatt's timeline is great, J is a great character. There's more of an underdog path for Wyatt that I like the journey of more. It's worth it simply because he doesn't swear AT ALL until one single moment with a helicopter and a Supersoldaten.

Is there any difference between the two paths, such as different missions?

Is there any difference between the two paths, such as different missions?

Mostly small stuff. One of the resistance members (not Fergus/Wyatt) is different too. You also get health upgrades in one timeline, armor in the other.

The game is worth replaying anyway, even without the differences. You've probably missed some small cutscenes and dialogues by not sleeping, or not listening to characters' idle chatter.

malfcn

I thought J was a cool character. He went out pretty bad ass, but I thought it may have played out differently. A room full of amplifiers...

Watevaman

For those of you on the fence like I was, Greenman Gaming has Wolfenstein:TNO for $30, but it drops to $24 with the code:

P36EYA-K5JYKT-ABO7X9

So, if you're like me and want to buy it, now may be your best bet until fall/winter sales.

qazqaNii

Frau Engel.. damnit she's invincible. The game has been awesome so far, returned from
THE MOON, and killed that big machine just to see max hass getting shot at, in the cutscene but is still living?, wierd stuff but haven't finished that part yet just quit after seeing max hass getting shot at

Could someone tell me how much % of the game i still have left?.

Cudder

Frau Engel.. damnit she's invincible. The game has been awesome so far, returned from
THE MOON, and killed that big machine just to see max hass getting shot at, in the cutscene but is still living?, wierd stuff but haven't finished that part yet just quit after seeing max hass getting shot at

Could someone tell me how much % of the game i still have left?.

Not long, few chapters left.

lionpants

I was skeptical at first because I don't usually get into shooters. I picked it up on sale. Started playing it as my wife sat on the couch and watched, during the intro level. She said, "Why would you get this game? You don't even like games like this." I told her that it's highly praised and the story is supposed to be great. Secretly I was starting to doubt the claims I just made while I was finishing the intro level. My wife became bored and started doing something else.

Once I completed the intro level, the story started to evolve and the game hooked me. The combat feels great, the perk system is great, the weapons are great, enemies are smart, characters have personality (even BJ!), maps are dense with different rooms and collectibles.

My wife came back to the couch during a later level. She stopped questioning why I purchased the game and sat there and watched.

dcx4610

I really enjoyed the game but man do people overhype it. It's a pretty run of the mills shooter with a better than average story and typical FPS gameplay.

There were a few really cool moments but other than that, it was just a average. It only stands out because of how multi-player centric other FPS games have become. It was nice to see a single player driven game again.

8/10

Spux666

Banned
That's a pre-rendered cutscene. You can splatter heads during gameplay, though.

No it's not, that's one of the few that isn't pre-rendered since it transitions to gameplay. It uses the in game models, lighting, everything. Which is why it's also the worst looking cutscene in the game by far. Also the exploding head effect is the exact same one used in game. So yes, to answer the previous question, you can splatter heads and it will look exactly like that moment.

Dammit... Missed the GMG sale by just an hour or two... Crap. :-( $25 I could've afforded... $50-ish... nope.

Edit: Thanks Steam! 50% off for the next 24hrs!

Edit #2: Yikes! 44gb download? I forgot how bat-shit crazy ID-tech-5 file-sizes were.

I told myself I'd get it for PS4 once it had a sale, and the $40 Amazon price point we the dagger, so excited.

I hear that it pretty much feels like an oldschool shooter with nice graphics and gore?

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
I keep on meaning to replay this but I never do.
I really wish there was an arcade mode or something, just to enjoy the gameplay without going through the story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah so just finished the game today...

that ending..... Wtf
Does that means Blazko won't be in any sequels? . Because if so that kind of sucks, I figured they can always go back to America and help the people oppressed by the Nazi's over there, that was a super depressing ending

if you watch to the end of the credits, you hear the sound of the helicopter coming closer. So I think we can expect to see more of him..

Was great fun and the story was engaging but all over the place.

they talk about the weakness of the super concrete but never take that anywhere

they steal a u-boat that can reach the bottom of the ocean and then just get out and walk so it can't have been that deep - a normal boat would have been enough

they look for the secret weapons archive storage thing, but the most dangerous thing they have is a spiky ball thing?

if you watch to the end of the credits, you hear the sound of the helicopter coming closer. So I think we can expect to see more of him..

Yeah I noticed that too... seemed indicative of rescuers coming for BJ.

Still... soul-crushing ending, especially considering a sequel has yet to be confirmed.

Just got it.

wolfenstein27yjei.jpg

119581-Spiderman-3-James-Franco-So-Go-gB1l.gif

Nice!

I was planning to do a trophy mop-up today, but got sidetracked by the Destiny Beta. Once that Beta expires, i'm going back - although i expect to be thrown off by Blasco's rubbish jumping skills after getting used to the double jump.

lionpants

they talk about the weakness of the super concrete but never take that anywhere

They use that revelation to find the crazy religious dude that was sabotaging the concrete. Which then lead them to the ancient ruin where they found the spinny sphere thing. They knew the sphere would be effective against the bridge and Deathhead's castle due to the weak concrete.

they steal a u-boat that can reach the bottom of the ocean and then just get out and walk so it can't have been that deep - a normal boat would have been enough

A normal boat couldn't house the helicopters, etc. They also used the u-boat to launch the spinny sphere at Deathhead's compound IIRC. I remember Blazko in the turret of the u-boat at the end.

they look for the secret weapons archive storage thing, but the most dangerous thing they have is a spiky ball thing?

And the mech suit that allowed Caroline to walk again, which allowed her to actually save Blazko's life at one point. Plus, the spinny sphere was effective as hell, wouldn't you agree? They already had an atom-bomb, what more would they want?

AEREC

Played this over the weekend...not too far in it(attacking the London nautica museum) but so far it seems like pretty standard shooter fare. The transitions between scenes are rough and abrupt and the character movement feels a little floaty and weightless.

Also I little disappointed with the graphics...is this like RAGE where it has really crappy baked in lighting and no realtime shadows? Don't feel like Ive seen any.

lionpants

Played this over the weekend...not too far in it(attacking the London nautica museum) but so far it seems like pretty standard shooter fare. The transitions between scenes are rough and abrupt and the character movement feels a little floaty and weightless.

Also I little disappointed with the graphics...is this like RAGE where it has really crappy baked in lighting and no realtime shadows? Don't feel like Ive seen any.
I did notice that some of the scene transitions could have been tuned a bit. Regardless though, I found the cutscenes - voice acting, camera movement, and most of the transitions done very well.

I personally felt the character movement had weight and the head bob helped simulate actually movement.

And yes, I played on the XB1 and found the graphics in this game kinda hit or miss. Some areas/models/textures look pretty bad, yet other areas look very nice and have a great artstyle.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just finished it and watching the credits roll right now. What a fucking ride. Absolutely loved it, although the final battle was a little annoying. Overall probably one of the best single player shooters I've played in a long ass time. Never got bored or tired of it, which is impressive for how long the campaign is.

Can't wait to see what Machinegames does next, either with this franchise or something new.

qazqaNii

Finished the game aswell, was a blast to play through, played the timeline where I saved the old guy, and lol at
Instering Wyatt's brain into a machine :D, btw what happened to Frau Engel my love?

LiamR

I just just finished the campaign today for the first time today. I really liked the game overall, but the last boss sucked. Just hide behind a bunch of pipes and shoot at it until it dies? Yawn. Very light on strategy and pretty unimaginative. The ending was also quite the anti-climax. Very little was resolved and it just kind of seemed to abruptly finish after the fight.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finished the game aswell, was a blast to play through, played the timeline where I saved the old guy, and lol at
Instering Wyatt's brain into a machine :D, btw what happened to Frau Engel my love?

Based on when you kill Bubi, she was back in Berlin. I'm assuming the inevitable sequel you'll take care of her since it would probably make sense to pick up where this left off. Or at least I hope.

Platinumed this yesterday, only my second plat after Walking Dead (which you get for just finishing the game). Absolutely love this game, easily my GOTY so far and one of my favorite shooters of all time. This one came out of nowhere for me, such a great surprise.

I just just finished the campaign today for the first time today. I really liked the game overall, but the last boss sucked. Just hide behind a bunch of pipes and shoot at it until it dies? Yawn. Very light on strategy and pretty unimaginative. The ending was also quite the anti-climax. Very little was resolved and it just kind of seemed to abruptly finish after the fight.

That was kind of the point.
As hinted by BJ himself throughout the game, it was looking less and less like he was going to get what he (and Anya) wanted when everything was said and done. And within the context of the story, a small bittersweet victory was about as climactic as it was going to get because the entire world is being ruled by nazis with an iron cybernetic fist.

As for the last boss, not sure why you're only describing phase 3 of the final battle and ignoring everything that preceded it...

Started it this weekend and put a good few hours in it. What a fantastic game, this is the type of shooter I've been yearning for, just enough of everything.

Real contender for my fav game of the year.

I'm close to finishing Chapter 9. In the beginning, I thought this was a really good game. Now, I'm convinced it's a landmark FPS game in the vein of Bioshock and the Half-Life series. The beginning of this chapter (on the Wyatt side) had a scene that really solidified that sentiment for me, personally. I transcribed my favorite part of it:

You're a patriot? Blue eyed jarhead motherfucking Nazi-killing patriot that you are... you're still a fucking puppet to the man. You're exactly the kind of guy they ordered in come lynching time. You don't get it, do you? Before all this. Before the Germans. Before the war. Back home, man, you WERE the Nazis

And the animations to go with it! The way BJ tilts his head up at the beginning of the scene as he points at J. The tension in the room is palpable the whole time.

Source

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished for the first time last night on Uber. Wasn't really in love with it as so many others seemed to be. It's an enjoyable romp, but filled with far too many bullet-sponge enemies and on Uber you die so quickly that most major encounters were too risky to negotiate fights beyond stop-and-pop cover clearing.

Revisiting on normal difficulty with the other timeline is proving more enjoyable finally being able to recklessly unload with dual weapons and tear up the enemies and environments with a satisfying measure of bloodlust. Though it also highlights how easy the game is and how unstoppable you feel. In this case there is far too much downtime between large encounters with many levels not providing much carnage opportunity for the sake of narrative, especially the first 1/3rd of the game. When it's "on" though, it is a real rush!

Solid game, but one I wouldn't place in a GotY list. Definitely a competent and enjoyable B-grade experience while it lasted.

Finished for the first time last night on Uber. Wasn't really in love with it as so many others seemed to be. It's an enjoyable romp, but filled with far too many bullet-sponge enemies and on Uber you die so quickly that most major encounters were too risky to negotiate fights beyond stop-and-pop cover clearing.

Revisiting on normal difficulty with the other timeline is proving more enjoyable finally being able to recklessly unload with dual weapons and tear up the enemies and environments with a satisfying measure of bloodlust. Though it also highlights how easy the game is and how unstoppable you feel. In this case there is far too much downtime between large encounters with many levels not providing much carnage opportunity for the sake of narrative, especially the first 1/3rd of the game. When it's "on" though, it is a real rush!

Solid game, but one I wouldn't place in a GotY list. Definitely a competent and enjoyable B-grade experience while it lasted.
I wouldn't say any of the enemies were bullet spongey, more that you need different weapons that can take them down in a few hits. Many of the stronger enemies have weak points on the back, and because of their slow turn radius, can be flanked to be taken care of e.g. shotgun shrapnel dudes. Glad you enjoyed it.

Enco

I think it might be my play style but the enemies were the least bullet spongy I've seen.

1 shot to the head = dead (for 90% of enemies)

When I first played though this game, I played (early game spoilers, maybe Chapter 2 or 3)
the Wyatt timeline. I haven't played the Fergus timeline yet, but I was surprised at how well the story fit together. Wyatt mentions all the things that someone in his position would probably say ("should've saved someone else," "I'm not ready for this,") and it was really nice to see how his character changed after all that time.

Also, it was more emotional hearing Fergus speak near the end of the game. If I had honestly saved Fergus, I don't think I would have even remembered who Wyatt was.

I did find it funny, however, how BJ is still ripped after being in a coma for all that time.

ryuken-d

such a great game A++++++++++++ also played flawlessly on my PS4. I'm going through again on hard and second story line.

Top Bottom