• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman jumps from car after seeing spider, causes crash-leaves her kid in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

So she left the Spider in the car with her son....

9 y/o kid, some odds he put the spider on the mom as a joke

Kathian

Banned
This is an accident pure and simple. If they were slower the kid would not have panicked. Surprised the kid even tried what he did but he was likely scared too and at least showed initiative.

I won't be too hard on her. Probably all in all a traumatic enough day.

Toxi

Banned
This is why arachnophobia is not healthy. Spiders are everywhere, and an irrational fear of something found everywhere is going to impair one's behavior to a severe degree.

Agreed.

I can't really blame her for this one.

Fear gets the best of people.
What the fuck? She jumped out of a moving car with her son in it, endangering him. If she had a phobia so extreme it could actually explain that lapse of judgement, she should not have been driving in the first place.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck? She jumped out of a moving car with her son in it, endangering him. If she had a phobia so extreme it could actually explain that lapse of judgement, she should not have been driving in the first place.

So no one with a phobia should be doing anything, since you don't know when you're having bad luck that a spider showed up?

I've had a bee get into my car while driving highway speeds. Also my AC didn't work.

I don't get how this works, honestly. If you were going like 60 on the highway and a bee flies in, wouldn't it get splatted against the back window or something?

Uh, how do you figure? It's not like spiders are included in the driving exam.

Toxi

Banned
So no one with a phobia should be doing anything, since you don't know when you're having bad luck because a spider showed up?
If you have a phobia so severe that you would jump out of a moving car with your 9-year-old kid in it, you are a danger to the people around you and need to seek treatment.

LQX

We as humans have to stop running(or in this case, jumping out of cars) from little creatures. We are like 100x these fuckers sizes. Stop running from them and fight back. There was time I would put on boots, a winter jacket, gloves and goggles to kill some random huge bug that made its way into my place, but not anymore. I chase these fuckers down and murder them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If you have a phobia so severe that you would jump out of a moving car with your 9-year-old kid in it, you are a danger to the people around you and need to seek treatment.

Absolutely yes, but his post is kind of implying that they can't be doing anything because of the phobia. If she does have a phobia, there was no way to tell that there would be a spider there, and yes she should be receiving treatment.

You are unrealistic. It wasn't a problem until there was an incident. It's not like she has severe narcolepsy while driving. But now she's definitely not getting her license back.

I don't get how this works, honestly. If you were going like 60 on the highway and a bee flies in, wouldn't it get splatted against the back window or something?...

I'm not entirely sure how it worked either. I believe my words at the time amounted to "How is there a bee!!?" I don't recall it being particularly active after getting in. I pulled off at the next exit and got it out of my car in a Wendy's parking lot. That much I remember clearly.

totowhoa

Banned
Now I'm not saying I wouldn't wreck my car, but I'm pretty sure I'd stay in the vehicle while I did it. I guess I could understand the impulse if you were just backing out at 4 mph though

Ayumi

The boy was found lying outside the Dodge Avenger when police arrived.
Where did his mother go after jumping out of the car? She didn't think to follow the car and help her kid? Article says nothing about what happened after with the mom. I'm confused.

A friend of mine is deathly afraid of wasps and bees. Once a wasp flew into the car while my friend was sitting in back middle seat between two other people. We were going pretty fast down the highway at the time and he freaked out, opened the door and tried to climb over then shove the guy sitting by the door out.

He's done similar things on crowed balconies.

Hold up. He opened the door and tried to push another friend out of the car at highway speed. Aka attempted murder. Why the fuck is he still a friend of yours?

That kid will probably bond more with spiders now.

He'll grow up to be some super villain with lame non-spiderman like super powers.

Poor guy.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm not entirely sure how it worked either. I believe my words at the time amounted to "How is there a bee!!?" I don't recall it being particularly active after getting in. I pulled off at the next exit and got it out of my car in a Wendy's parking lot. That much I remember clearly.

It was most likely in the car from the beginning.

When I was a child, this is something I was honestly afraid my mother would do whenever I was in the car with her.

That kid will probably bond more with spiders now.

He'll grow up to be some super villain with lame non-spiderman like super powers.

Poor guy.

He'd be Antman but with spiders, and without the shrinking.

Controlling large amounts of spiders probably wouldn't be the worst power.

Vitten

Had it happen as well. Happily driving my car and all of a sudden I spot a big ass house spider walking on the dashboard a few inches away from my hands.
Luckily I'm only mildly arachnophobic and can somewhat control myself but it was a VERY uncomfortable feeling as you can't just walk away or get some distance between you and the creature as I would normally do.

I stumbled around the car trying to find a tissue with one hand while trying not to swerve too much and squished that fucker as best as I could.. I'm not sure what sort of toxic stuff is inside a spider's body but I never completely got the stains out of my dash.. Can still see the marks.

A few years ago my rental car was swarmed by ants during a rainstorm in the Okefenokee National Park near Waycross, GA. When I climbed in the next morning, they were literally everywhere... I'd never seen so many ants. I had to make a meeting near Fernadina Beach and had no time to trade the car in. I bought 5 cans of linseed oil spray, coated the entire interior and started my trek. The linseed oil did little and the ants tried their best to take me down Gullivers travels style. I was covered.. In my hair.. In my clothes.. Everywhere. The linseed oil was making me dizzy, so I opened the windows.. NEVER open your windows while driving through the Oke in the summer. All it did was add prehistoric flying insects to the mix. When I arrived at my customers building, I looked awful. Clothes were stained from the oil, dead ant carcasses on my face and body.. Linseed stink. I traded the car in directly after. It smelled like ass fish, but was bug free.

kingwingin

giphy.gif

Walpurgis

Banned
phobias aren't exactly logical, what she did was totally instinctive...you can have irrational fear of anything. not defending her but it's not like she was thinking about it, she panicked.

I have a phobia of insects and spiders but I have an even bigger phobia of losing my child.

Ferny

A few years ago my rental car was swarmed by ants during a rainstorm in the Okefenokee National Park near Waycross, GA. When I climbed in the next morning, they were literally everywhere... I'd never seen so many ants. I had to make a meeting near Fernadina Beach and had no time to trade the car in. I bought 5 cans of linseed oil spray, coated the entire interior and started my trek. The linseed oil did little and the ants tried their best to take me down Gullivers travels style. I was covered.. In my hair.. In my clothes.. Everywhere. The linseed oil was making me dizzy, so I opened the windows.. NEVER open your windows while driving through the Oke in the summer. All it did was add prehistoric flying insects to the mix. When I arrived at my customers building, I looked awful. Clothes were stained from the oil, dead ant carcasses on my face and body.. Linseed stink. I traded the car in directly after. It smelled like ass fish, but was bug free.

Fuck That Shit man

How you even got in the car is beyond me.

I've absolutely no idea what happened to her or the story behind that incident. Here's the video, though.

The driver of the Hyundai, identified as 22-year-old Jasmine Lacey of
San Bernardino, was taken to a hospital for “a non injury-related
reason” before CHP officers arrived on scene, the CHP said.“(Lacey)
was later contacted and identified at St. Jude Medical Center facility
and, after investigation of the traffic collision, was arrested for
DUI,” a CHP officer said.But Lacey was released from custody
early Saturday due to insufficient evidence to support a criminal
complaint, according to Los Angeles County booking records.
http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-n...ra-in-rowland-heights-driver-suspected-of-dui

TraBuch

Banned
Speaking of bees flying into cars, I was going about 45-50 with my arm resting on the door when a bee flew right into my sleeve. Immediately felt it buzzing around in my shirt. Started slapping at it and got stung. Probably should have pulled over but I wasn't really thinking straight. Still the only time I've ever been stung.

I've had a few times where I'm driving at night and a spider drops down from the visor or rear view mirror. It scars the shit out of me, you can turn on the light to see where it is and its just basically the most horrible situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom