• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman loses 800k disability case after photos emerge of her winning tree throwing contest

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

A woman in Ireland lost a more than $800,000 in an injury lawsuit stemming from a car crash after photos showed her launching a Christmas tree during a post-holiday competition – and winning the event.

Kamila Grabska, 36, sued an insurance agency in the country, RSA Insurance, after a 2017 car crash she claimed caused her debilitating neck and back pain that prevented her from holding down a job for five years, the Irish Independent reported.

Grabska is a mom of two from the town of Ennis in County Clare, Irish media reports.

The car accident was the result of someone hitting Grabska’s car from the rear, and allegedly left her unable to carry her young children or complete household chores.

She quit her job shortly after, received disability payments and argued that her previous and future lost income totaled more than $500,000, according to the Telegraph.

2017-sued-insurer-rsa-damages-77160202-e1709047245699.jpg

Get fucked, lady. These disability scammers are the worst people.

DrFigs

People w/ severe, chronic back pain problem don't always literally have debilitating pain 24/7. this seems like an unreasonably high bar.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good for catching this parasite. The whole insurance injury business is atrocious but this lady was given an exorbitant sum based on her being physically unable to conduct ANY work or physical activity. Clearly that was not true.

Just look at your auto insurance rate, people like this are why it is so high. The lady got hit, probably had a minor injury, but got a much larger award because she played it up rather than being honest with her limitations.

ahtlas7

Seems she suffered brain damage. What person in their right mind goes through litigation for disability then gets photographed throwing trees? What was the winning payout 900k?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
They would if they were on pain killers.
Then she can clearly work on pain killers as well, the award is not justified.

If she is doping herself up to win a tree throwing contest then she could probably engage in some reasonable pain management and still work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
From what I've seen from people claiming short term or long term leave (not disability cheque claims), most people are full of shit. It should be fully investigated and not just be a dopey doctors note.

I know people who are supposedly super weak and ill going on leave for month......... check their facebook pics and they with family doing those giant once in a lifetime trips around the world thing where they are travelling for like two months straight across 10 countries. No shame too. Full facebook album pics and all.

Then another person was on the firing line.... and what do you know. What a coincidence. Suddenly got major neck pain and cant come to the office anymore. Another doctors note paid leave stint.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
She's probably faking but as someone that has had a debilitating neck back injury, if she was on opiate pain killers at the time I could fully see her being able to toss a tree. Those things are fucking amazing. (don't do drugs kids)
I was on morphine once and it was one of the best moments of my life. This warmth washed over me and every ounce pain, even little micro pains you never notice, just vanished. It scared the hell out of me, because I knew I liked it WAY too much.

nkarafo

This is like a parody. Not only she isn't disabled, she is more able than most of able people.

Who's next? Strongman contest winners maybe?

Last edited:

Dancer_BV

The fact that this is the first time I've ever heard about "tree throwing" makes this entire situation feel so much more surreal.

badblue

You do realise people with severe back injuries actually have severely injured backs, don’t you? It’s not just about the pain…

Yes I do know that. Been there done that, have the surgery scar.

I also know that it's very very easy to not care about an injury you can't feel because of opiates.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was on morphine once and it was one of the best moments of my life. This warmth washed over me and every ounce pain, even little micro pains you never notice, just vanished. It scared the hell out of me, because I knew I liked it WAY too much.

I had the opposite feeling...

I was laid up in the hospital with acute pancreatitis and a boatload of pain... The morphine barely helped! When they injected it into my IV, it felt like I had pins flowing in my veins (but I did have the warm sensation over me)... And while it helped full the pain a bit, it didn't eliminate it. It took months after leaving the hospital for the pain to finally be gone.

Top Bottom