• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy is the better Final Fantasy 2016 release

AgeEighty

Ehhh.

WoFF is very good, but FFXV edges it out for me. WoFF is more consistent, but it also plays things a lot safer. And as big a fan as I am of non-realistic art styles, the Lilikin are basically Funko POP Vinyls, and I don't really like the style of those either.

Jennipeg

They both have issues, but I will say I was dissapointed with XV, and pleasantly surprised by WoFF. I don't want to compare their quality, they are both good games. I just had more fun with WoFF, it's totally praying on my nostalgia but I feel pure joy playing it.

HeeHo

I had gotten a little more than halfway through WoFF (before the 'pro' patch made it blurry) and while I agree I enjoy the traditional gameplay probably a little more, I wouldn't objectively say it's better than XV.

XV grabbed me with its nice looking open world and I actually thought the sidequests were more fun to do than the main game. Overall, I am still more impressed with XV even considering its current state of jank,

WoFF you can definitely tell is a Vita game. There is hardly anything ever on screen besides your characters and the empty dungeons and the encounter rate is high even with a relatively small dungeon, which I personally don't mind because there is nothing else to do in the game but battle.

I would say WoFF is a more cohesive game at the moment but I can't help but feel there is quite a bit of padding with the enemy encounters. I also wouldn't judge WoFF based off its demo because I didn't like the demo either but I like the actual game. RPG demos seem to suffer because you aren't tracking your levels and there is not a sense of progression you would normally get with the full game.

But yeah overall, I felt like I would play XV for way longer stretches of time than WoFF just because I was intrigued by how nice the open world looked and wanted to see what other crazy things were in store. If it wasn't for Chapter 13, and a bit of Chapter 12, I would've praised the game a lot more.

Also, XV should've given us more outfits to wear. Or just changed to a more traditional non static armor set up where Noctis and co. would have an equipment slot for a helmet, armor, legs that would keep changing as you got new equipment.

Also, a variety of chocobos like a blue one that can run over water or a green one that run up over mountains would've been icing on the cake. I also don't like the level 10 cap for chocobos. If you like to do sidequests, you will hit that way before you come close to finishing the game.

Mesoian

Not to take anything away from XV, which I would consider a valiant success after the lenghty development it faced and releasing upon insane levels of hype and expectations, but now that the dust has cleared, and having played the both of them - I have to say, World of Final Fantasy is simply the better game.

A lot of people wrote it off for its chibi artstyle but the consistency and overall look of the game is simply beautiful. The story is much more competently told, the back to basics turned based battle system is an absolute blast, the Pokemon-like mirage aspect is an engaging addition to the formula and the script is packed with humour that hits a lot more then it misses. It plays on nostalgia a lot, but it doesn't feel like it relies on it, instead it adds on it wonderfully. Playing the game gives me the same joyous feeling I've felt when I've played mainline entries from yesteryear, something XV simply never did.

For anyone who's slept on World of Final Fantasy, you are missing out on a gem of a game.

Agreed, even though I did like FF15 quite a bit.

As anime as it is, WOFF might have the best RPG story in the past 5 years.

Zakalwe

Banned
There's no reason to explore combat because the enemy design is terrible for the most part. They don't have interesting AI behaviors, they aren't complex in their attack patterns, they don't have good tells (which creates the incentive to hold the button to dodge as it's not a significant cost anyway) and player expression is nowhere close to the level of a character action game like DMC4 (which also has the issue of somewhat poor enemy design for the kind of game it is).

The combat really doesn't have a good niche to fall into. Type-Zero's Killsight system, overpowered as even that was had more satisfaction put into it.

The challenge with combat is to complete encounters not only efficiently but looking good while you do it. Like any game, to do this you need to explore and understand the battle mechanics.

This isn't a character action game, the battle system is a kind of hybrid of turn based and real time and there's a lot of automation that you need to embrace for it to click.

I can understand why it doesn't seem interesting with the expectations you have.

Oh, and enemies do have tells and you can read them and avoid damage entirely by paying attention to them (using the manual dodge too, not the automated defense mode) but that's another conversation.

zMiiChy-

Banned
How's the Vita version? It's only $20 on Amazon and seems like a great game for my long train commute.

Tempted to pick it up for $20 on Vita right now, but I rarely use that little dude anymore. It seems more like a handheld game, right? But I'm trying to hold off for the PS4 version

I would also like to know this...
Unfortunately, it has the worst performance of a Vita game I gave ever experienced.

The loading times are abysmal, sometimes they can be as long as half a minute.

The field menu is soooooo lagggy - it honestly feels broken at times.
Delayed inputs galore, and the game straight crashed twice for me while in the menu.

The resolution is similar to that a Wii game.
It's far uglier than what I've seen of the PS4 version.

I'd personally recommend avoiding it all costs.
While it's not broken, It's bad enough to the pint where I would rather play it on the PS4 with a broken controller.

Jennipeg

The challenge with combat is to complete encounters not only efficiently but looking good while you do it. Like any game, to do this you need to explore and understand the battle mechanics.

This isn't a character action game, the battle system is a kind of hybrid of turn based and real time and there's a lot of automation that you need to embrace for it to click.

I can understand why it doesn't seem interesting with the expectations you have.

Oh, and enemies do have tells and you can read them and avoid damage entirely by paying attention to them (using the manual dodge too, not the automated defense mode) but that's another conversation.

I thought XV's battle system was fine, but unfortunately the main villain of the game was the camera. It was difficult to keep track of where Noctis was, this led to frustration in even small encounters and totally ruined
the last boss

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but when lots of enemies were on screen and I used Promto's ability, the whole screen became covered with little squares, so I couldn't even see when to press square for Noctis to strike the last blow. More often than not it was a total mess, and that undermined what is technically a good battle system. They just need to polish it for the next game and expand on it.

That said, I can't say it's bad but I can't praise it either. It certainly wasn't a satisfying experience for me beyond Noctis' amazing combat animation. Warp strikes are the best.

Arkeband

Banned
FFXV Defense Force

I said it's the more competently made game - it does what it set out to do and it does it well.

FFXV's shitty combat and its barely coherent story show that it didn't accomplish what it set out to do. Entire parts of the game are seemingly shelved because they couldn't complete it in time.

WoFF doesn't struggle with this. It's a simpler game, sure, but that just shows that Square-Enix is better at what we know they're good at, and their attempt at their first "open-world ARPG" FF will be regarded as highly troubled, incomplete, and more of a prototype for what is certainly to come in FF16.

There's no reason to explore combat because the enemy design is terrible for the most part. They don't have interesting AI behaviors, they aren't complex in their attack patterns, they don't have good tells (which creates the incentive to hold the button to dodge as it's not a significant cost anyway) and player expression is nowhere close to the level of a character action game like DMC4 (which also has the issue of somewhat poor enemy design for the kind of game it is).

The combat really doesn't have a good niche to fall into. Type-Zero's Killsight system, overpowered as even that was had more satisfaction put into it.

Everything this man said, including Type-Zero. Enemies actually had attack patterns and behaviors, FFXV's monsters basically just do random shit that knocks you down with no tells (other than inconsistent PRESS SQUARE QTE prompts), so you're better off just holding O, it does more damage than wasting time warping around most of the time anyway.

FFXV cares so little about encounters that they let you pause and change your gear in-combat. Boss has poison? Just equip that star pendant, don't worry about antidotes or preparing beforehand!

Memory

I couldn't get over the horrible art style. I didn't like FFXV either. FF7 is my last shot at liking a modern FF game before I write them off all together.

Mashing

+1 to this. on WoFF, Reynn and FFXV.

Id also like to add that the special attack animations for the champions, and the enemy attacks you encounter are top notch.

Some of them go into just Gurren Lagan levels of over the top.

Wvdurig.gif

No spoilers, just a free DLC enemy fight.

I just did this fight last night. I was unprepared and it took me like 35 minutes to beat. Thankfully I was in my mid-60's (I was able heal through a lot of damage), but I didn't have my best stack setup.

Zakalwe

Banned
I thought XV's battle system was fine, but unfortunately the main villain of the game was the camera. It was difficult to keep track of where Noctis was, this led to frustration in even small encounters and totally ruined
the last boss

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but when lots of enemies were on screen and I used Promto's ability, the whole screen became covered with little squares, so I couldn't even see when to press square for Noctis to strike the last blow. More often than not it was a total mess, and that undermined what is technically a good battle system. They just need to polish it for the next game and expand on it.

That said, I can't say it's bad but I can't praise it either. It certainly wasn't a satisfying experience for me beyond Noctis' amazing combat animation. Warp strikes are the best.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "covered with little squares". Do you mean an actual glitch where they're appear dotted around the screen, or do you simply mean the button prompts that appear during your team mate's tech abilities that indicate when you should press Square to deal further damage?

If the latter then I don't know why you find it confusing. I know there's a lot happening on screen sometimes, but the trick with this system is to learn the timing and relax into it. Play it slower than it seems you should and it becomes very easy to manage. Prompts for tech abilities always appear at the same time, once you see that you won't find it confusing.

If you mean the former then report the bug because that sounds annoying.

I said it's the more competently made game.

And I think you're wrong. I also think editing my comment the way you did is a pretty stupid way to present yourself.

pablito

I can definitely accept that WOFF executes what it aims to far better. But I just couldn't drum up any interest in it whatsoever.

ghibli99

Now that it's properly patched for the Pro, I'm looking forward to finally starting it. FF15 was one of my favorite games last year despite the many issues I have with it, so if this ends up being better, that will be a really pleasant surprise. The demo, unfortunately, did absolutely nothing for me, so I hope in the context of the full game, everything will read and play much better. I haaaaated the Platinum FF15 demo, so maybe S-E just puts out the worst demos. LOL

Jennipeg

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "covered with little squares". Do you mean an actual glitch where they're appear dotted around the screen, or do you simply mean the button prompts that appear during your team mate's tech abilities that indicate when you should press Square to deal further damage?

If the latter then I don't know why you find it confusing. I know there's a lot happening on screen sometimes, but the trick with this system is to learn the timing and relax into it. Play it slower than it seems you should and it becomes very easy to manage. Prompts for tech abilities always appear at the same time, once you see that you won't find it confusing.

If you mean the former then report the bug because that sounds annoying.

And I think you're wrong. I also think editing my comment the way you did is a pretty stupid way to present yourself.

Yeah it's a glitch, it's a difficult one to describe because I have never seen anything like it before. The first time it happened I thought my TV had broken. But it always happens when I use Promto's ability so I can't see the actual button prompt underneath. It's like screen tearing but squares? It's super weird.

Ennosuke

I love turn based combat, I even like the chibi look, the OST is great and they know how to work with nostalgia. But no way WoFF is better than FFXV. I am 14 hours in the game (Chapter 17) and the story is boring and not really exciting.

Top Bottom