• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Chronicles II looking good

WOWHISV2PreviewPages10.jpg

WOWHISV2PreviewPages13.jpg

WOWHISV2PreviewPages14.jpg

Can confirm 60-70 is the worst questing. When I make a new character, it's around there that I tend to throw my hands up and buy a boost lol

I like The Burning Crusade, warts and all. There's something to be said about not having RP jammed in your face, waiting for scripted events, cutscenes or dialogue to play out. The story is there in the text if you want it.

Savitar

I like The Burning Crusade, warts and all. There's something to be said about not having RP jammed in your face, waiting for scripted events, cutscenes or dialogue to play out. The story is there in the text if you want it.

They really need an "adventure" mode ala DIII that allows you to skip the text stuff in old dungeons and raids.

Yeah, I find the 40-60 PVE and dungeon leveling to be the real grind. It feels like an uphill push to hit 60 and then you just sort of steamroll through the expansions. You can basically play the first zone in an expansion and with a bit of dungeon queueing, skip past the rest of TBC, Wrath, Cata and MoP.

Yeah, I find the 40-60 PVE and dungeon leveling to be the real grind. It feels like an uphill push to hit 60 and then you just sort of steamroll through the expansions. You can basically play the first zone in an expansion and with a bit of dungeon queueing, skip past the rest of TBC, Wrath, Cata and MoP.

what's wrong you don't like doing blackrock mountain

>:)

Tarazet

Worst questing is easily 50-60 and really some of the high forties.

Felwood and Winterspring are OK, if not amazing.. it's just that getting there is such a pain in the ass. Only Druids can get to the area without going really far out of the way. After going through the easy breezy circuit of RFC, SFK, BFD, Gnomeregan, Maraudon etc. being faced with hoofing it to those remote zones makes you groan.

Someone gave me like 2k gold for signing up to his crappy guild. I thought he was scamming me. He also gave me money to buy a heirloom. I bought 2 giant axes and it's nice.

So, the starting area Trisfall was pretty boring and forgettable but, maaaan Silverpines is pretty awesome. I thought I was going to some random area but, nooooope Silverpines is totally awesome.

Honestly, you're wasting gold buying heirlooms as a new player. You should instead save your gold for bank slots, your reagent tab, bags, and mount licenses. Practical things that you'll need beyond leveling. For example, lvl 20 riding is 4 gold, lvl 40 is 40 gold, level 60 ground speed is 200, flying is 200, then it ramps up to 4000 gold for lvl 70 and another 4k for the final tier. That doesn't include Northrend and Pandaria flying. Hexweave bags (32 slot) go for 1500 gold on average. That's 6000 gold just to get the best bags for your toon.

All heirlooms will help you do is hit Draenor content faster but you'll be pretty resource poor. I'd be shocked if you could afford lvl 70 flying or have decent bags.

what's wrong you don't like doing blackrock mountain

>:)

I hate that people don't know how to play it properly. I mean on one hand I'm kind of glad you don't have to run the full dungeon with randoms, but on the other hand I can't count how many arguments and false starts I've had on the second half of BRD with people taking the "shortcut".

Tarazet

Looking to get into twinking again. Are level locked characters no longer relegated to their own BG queues?

Locked characters are not relegated to their own queues, because it doesn't really matter anymore. i've been writing about my level 98 Paladin twink in this thread. Even with all of the 800 pieces from the Legion zones and 675 dungeon pieces or 680 epic procs in the other slots, in PvP I only get 11% more stats than the other scaled folks.

In PvE, however, I go into a dungeon and because of the scaling, my 70-90k turns into 500-700k in their Recount. And I one-shot most normal mobs with a single Judgment. So if you are looking for the best way to get a toon for farming ores, herbs and skins, that's a pretty good way to do it.

lazygecko

Locked characters are not relegated to their own queues, because it doesn't really matter anymore. i've been writing about my level 98 Paladin twink in this thread. Even with all of the 800 pieces from the Legion zones and 675 dungeon pieces or 680 epic procs in the other slots, in PvP I only get 11% more stats than the other scaled folks.

In PvE, however, I go into a dungeon and because of the scaling, my 70-90k turns into 500-700k in their Recount. And I one-shot most normal mobs with a single Judgment. So if you are looking for the best way to get a toon for farming ores, herbs and skins, that's a pretty good way to do it.

Yeah, I know about the scaling, but not entirely sure how it works in detail though. The difference in HP between players in the 10-19 bracket can be as much as between 2K-4Kish.

I am probably aiming for settling in the 60 or 70 brackets though since the class balance is and will always be utterly messed up in the lowest brackets.

Tarazet

Yeah, I know about the scaling, but not entirely sure how it works in detail though. The difference in HP between players in the 10-19 bracket can be as much as between 2K-4Kish.

I am probably aiming for settling in the 60 or 70 brackets though since the class balance is and will always be utterly messed up in the lowest brackets.

At 98, average gear gives you 200k and my gear gave me 230k. It changes dynamically as more people join as well. I can watch it start at 260 and then settle at 230-240. I think it gets flattened out the more people join the BG. I'm not sure about the lower brackets, but that's how it was for me. The Legion PvE scaling is more generous. I was able to switch to Prot, buy the 740 sword and board, and solo Darkheart Thicket and Eye of Azshara with no difficulty.

v1perz53

The problem with TBC is more functional shittiness of the quests. So many "gather 15 items, oh btw they drop from 1 in 10 kills" or "kill 30 of these mobs that there are only 10 of so you have to wait for respawns 3 times" or "use this quest item 15 times, but it has a 30 sec CD" or "go here do 1 quest, come back to town, get another 1 quest back in that far away area, repeat 5 times". As someone who just did every TBC zone to completion for loremaster like 2 months ago, the questing FEELS dated and shitty and grindy, because of outdated mechanics designed to make things take longer.

Also, there are WAY more quests in TBC that are just one off "do a thing for XP" quests that don't interact with the zone's story in any way. They were just there to give you more quests to do. TBC was great at the time, but from todays standards the questing really shows its age, and was quite the slog to get through coming from revamped 1-60 zones when I did my loremaster playthrough.

This is just from a "do all quests" perspective though, from a "do whatever to get to 110" perspective I agree 40-60 is pretty bad, dungeons in TBC are a strong point for sure.

Lomax

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5uxa8b/the_design_of_the_new_two_trait_relics_is/

Apparently in 7.2, the second trait on relics is RNG from available minor traits.

Go home, Blizz. You're drunk.

I can't really blame them for doubling down on randomization. Remember in MC there were 3 drops per boss for a raid of 40. They finally gave in on drop quantity, but from Blizzard's point of view, people running bosses that can't possibly give them an upgrade is a bad thing. After all, if you hit the right combination on something like this, it's only going to be an extremely marginal increase. But it's an increase nonetheless, and it will feel good getting it, better than doing a boss with no chance of improvement whatsoever. We can all say we hate the RNG and it's true, but I'm sure they have the numbers to support that we are also driven by that RNG. You need only look at the success of mobile gacha-style games to see that it's a successful model, so at least they haven't gotten quite that bad.

And yes, I'm sure tons of people will want to reply to this with "oh but I know so many people who've quit because of the RNG" and you're probably right, at least anecdotally. But Blizzard has access to numbers and feedback none of us have. They see attrition rates, kill rates, play rates, and all those things. And I'd bet those numbers support the idea that drip feed RNG drives people to keep playing more so than it drives people away.

I can't really blame them for doubling down on randomization. Remember in MC there were 3 drops per boss for a raid of 40. They finally gave in on drop quantity, but from Blizzard's point of view, people running bosses that can't possibly give them an upgrade is a bad thing. After all, if you hit the right combination on something like this, it's only going to be an extremely marginal increase. But it's an increase nonetheless, and it will feel good getting it, better than doing a boss with no chance of improvement whatsoever. We can all say we hate the RNG and it's true, but I'm sure they have the numbers to support that we are also driven by that RNG. You need only look at the success of mobile gacha-style games to see that it's a successful model, so at least they haven't gotten quite that bad.

And yes, I'm sure tons of people will want to reply to this with "oh but I know so many people who've quit because of the RNG" and you're probably right, at least anecdotally. But Blizzard has access to numbers and feedback none of us have. They see attrition rates, kill rates, play rates, and all those things. And I'd bet those numbers support the idea that drip feed RNG drives people to keep playing more so than it drives people away.

I'm sure it's great for engagement. That doesn't mean I have to find it enjoyable.

Lomax

I'm sure it's great for engagement. That doesn't mean I have to find it enjoyable.

Oh I agree, and I'd much prefer some balance where there's both RNG and more ways to "earn" stuff over time. But I do think all of us that play do have to admit that we're more motivated to continue playing by the RNG than we'd like to think.

I think a strong argument could be made that the majority of players who play this game regularly do so in a very unhealthy way, to the point that I'd say a substantial portion are "addicted" in any reasonable definition of the term, and the design definitely contributes and even encourages that.

v1perz53

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5uxa8b/the_design_of_the_new_two_trait_relics_is/

Apparently in 7.2, the second trait on relics is RNG from available minor traits.

Go home, Blizz. You're drunk.

Honestly, from the perspective of someone who does M+ only and doesn't raid, I prefer this. And in fact, I wish the first trait would be random too. As is now, there are only 3 dungeons that drop relics with my BiS traits, but the way the system works it isn't very easy to run those over and over and hope I get my relic from them, and that is super boring anyway. At least with random traits, every relic that drops at a high ilvl has a chance to be useable, instead of knowing ahead of time that if I get a relic from this Maw, it is trash even if it TFed to 920 because the set trait is always shit. And assuming relics cannot roll 2 of the same trait, it makes it so that relics with my BiS trait already are good, but all relics without that trait can also be equally good (at least for Guardian, there's really only one "must have" trait, the rest are equally whatever) if I get a little lucky.

I can see why raiders might be less happy though, since you can currently kill a boss with your BiS trait and coin that boss and know you have at least 2 shots at a BiS trait. But for non-raiders, random 2nd is better in my opinion. I still think relics are very annoying because of how powerful some traits are vs others, especially when trying to set up your off specs, but what can you do.

Honestly, from the perspective of someone who does M+ only and doesn't raid, I prefer this. And in fact, I wish the first trait would be random too. As is now, there are only 3 dungeons that drop relics with my BiS traits, but the way the system works it isn't very easy to run those over and over and hope I get my relic from them, and that is super boring anyway. At least with random traits, every relic that drops at a high ilvl has a chance to be useable, instead of knowing ahead of time that if I get a relic from this Maw, it is trash even if it TFed to 920 because the set trait is always shit. And assuming relics cannot roll 2 of the same trait, it makes it so that relics with my BiS trait already are good, but all relics without that trait can also be equally good (at least for Guardian, there's really only one "must have" trait, the rest are equally whatever) if I get a little lucky.

I can see why raiders might be less happy though, since you can currently kill a boss with your BiS trait and coin that boss and know you have at least 2 shots at a BiS trait. But for non-raiders, random 2nd is better in my opinion. I still think relics are very annoying because of how powerful some traits are vs others, especially when trying to set up your off specs, but what can you do.

The thing is though, gear (in terms of power) is sorta (mostly?) irrelevant for non-raiders. So making things worse for raiders looking to maintain a high level of gear kinda sucks.

Also, today was transmog farming day, then this happened:

lolollolol

Rarity says that was after 39 attempts. Never have to sit through that fight again.

Shit with this luck, I should go back to Ulduar and Dragon Soul.

Honestly, you're wasting gold buying heirlooms as a new player. You should instead save your gold for bank slots, your reagent tab, bags, and mount licenses. Practical things that you'll need beyond leveling. For example, lvl 20 riding is 4 gold, lvl 40 is 40 gold, level 60 ground speed is 200, flying is 200, then it ramps up to 4000 gold for lvl 70 and another 4k for the final tier. That doesn't include Northrend and Pandaria flying. Hexweave bags (32 slot) go for 1500 gold on average. That's 6000 gold just to get the best bags for your toon.

All heirlooms will help you do is hit Draenor content faster but you'll be pretty resource poor. I'd be shocked if you could afford lvl 70 flying or have decent bags.

The guy insisted I buy'em. I felt obligated since he had given me some gold to buy. I only bought weapons. I feel like they were a waste as I don't feel that much stronger and besides I don't plan or want to hit level cap ASAP. So long as these quests are half as good as Silverpine I'm happy.

Worst questing is easily 50-60 and really some of the high forties.

Damn. I thought the old content was supposed to be amazing?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rose tinted glasses. People wanting vanilla servers forgot how tedious questing was. Thr 50-60 content was mostly untouched by cataclysm.
Swamp of Sorrows got lots of changes. One of the better Cataclysm reworks. Western Plaguelands and Eastern Plaguelands were both shifted to an earlier level range and saw pretty substantial changes. As a result there's just not really a leveling zone for 55-60 outside of Blasted Lands. Dungeons are also kind of meager. Dire Maul was pushed to an early level range, Upper Blackrock Spire was removed and reworked for level 100, Scholomance was pushed up to an early level range. Even though the content is thin here it goes very fast so I personally do not find it to be as draining as 60-70, where you need dramatically more EXP to level up.
Pretty sure this graph is still accurate:

The issue with that becomes balance though, and when they start nerfing traits (because they have to or else they are really dumb) around the possibility of getting your two BIS traits three times.

This is less of a big deal for classes that have traits that are fairly even in value, or only one that stands out.

But for Outlaw, there are two traits that are worthwhile for relics: decreased energy cost for finishers and increased RT damage. Right now, Blizzard only has to worry about you getting 3 increases between these traits. Now it's six. And nerfing finisher cost is more than just a tuning issue, it's a major gameplay issue, especially when Outlaw is expected to reroll a decent amount of times. They've nerfed that trait twice now and I've felt it both times.

I think the only iron relic with decreased finisher cost in the game drops from Ursoc (other than WQ). For RT iron relic, I think it's only Gul'dan. I get not being able to find a relic you need. But I really don't think this is going to be any better.

Depends on perspective and what quality of leveling content really means. People are who leveling alts basically judge the content on how fast they can blow through it. Whether that translates to 'better' is a personal viewpoint.

Sometimes. It's actually fairly efficient to just blow through that BRD wing in your 50s, but it's boring as hell joining, taking drill, killing boss over and over again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sometimes. It's actually fairly efficient to just blow through that BRD wing in your 50s, but it's boring as hell joining, taking drill, killing boss over and over again.
I think this was heavily nerfed when they adjusted the bonus objective experience gains.

Are you supposed to be able to solo dungeons? 23 warrior and got wrecked pretty hard at Shadowfang. I tried joining a queue and waited for nearly 2 1/2 hours before giving up. It's bothering me how nobody seems to do lower level content. All these lower level areas are abandoned and the few people I see ignore you. I kinda feel like I'm playing a SP game right now <__<;;

Are you supposed to be able to solo dungeons? 23 warrior and got wrecked pretty hard at Shadowfang. I tried joining a queue and waited for nearly 2 1/2 hours before giving up. It's bothering me how nobody seems to do lower level content. All these lower level areas are abandoned and the few people I see ignore you. I kinda feel like I'm playing a SP game right now <__<;;

No you can't solo dungeons that are at your level range.

The queue shouldn't take that long, did you make your own party or use the preset dungeon finder tool?

If its taking too long, queue as a tank.

No you can't solo dungeons that are at your level range.

The queue shouldn't take that long, did you make your own party or use the preset dungeon finder tool?

If its taking too long, queue as a tank.

I had nother guy with me. I can kill the mobs ez pz it's just theirs like 30 of them ganking me. I can't queue for tank im not a tank.

If you're a warrior, play Protection. You don't have to main the spec but it's worthwhile to be able to off-tank when the need arises.

The problem with TBC is more functional shittiness of the quests. So many "gather 15 items, oh btw they drop from 1 in 10 kills" or "kill 30 of these mobs that there are only 10 of so you have to wait for respawns 3 times" or "use this quest item 15 times, but it has a 30 sec CD" or "go here do 1 quest, come back to town, get another 1 quest back in that far away area, repeat 5 times". As someone who just did every TBC zone to completion for loremaster like 2 months ago, the questing FEELS dated and shitty and grindy, because of outdated mechanics designed to make things take longer.

Also, there are WAY more quests in TBC that are just one off "do a thing for XP" quests that don't interact with the zone's story in any way. They were just there to give you more quests to do. TBC was great at the time, but from todays standards the questing really shows its age, and was quite the slog to get through coming from revamped 1-60 zones when I did my loremaster playthrough.

This is just from a "do all quests" perspective though, from a "do whatever to get to 110" perspective I agree 40-60 is pretty bad, dungeons in TBC are a strong point for sure.

The only TBC quest I find truly egregious is an Alliance-only quest in Hellfire Peninsula that ping-pongs you all the way back to The Blasted Lands, which was probably an easier journey when TBC was current content, and back for a single purchased pint of beer.

The obnoxiously low drop-rate quests in Zangarmarsh are sort of tolerable in that some of those items drop before you even accept the quests, you just have to know what is and isn't vendor trash, and often there are unmarked areas on the map where the targets spawn. I also enjoy trolling members of the opposite faction by killing those mobs because I know it's a pain in the ass.

I agree those things are kind of shit but only the Blast Lands ping-pong quest really bothers me.

I'm confused about the various tints for all of the class mounts. Some are automatically changed once the spec is switched, some have to be bought, and some require additional ways of unlocking? Am I understanding this right?

Which is the lesser of two evils, Legion Alchemy or Legion Leather Working? I'm rolling a Rogue and making it a Herbalism/Skinning double gather with the intention of possibly choosing a crafting profession once I hit current or maybe even WoD content.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the rng with raising recipe proficiency with Alchemy, although you can make a lot of money with it. I haven't read or seen much about Leather Working and while it may not have the same economic potential it does have tranmogs and mounts you can learn to craft.

that feel when your guild does heroic gul'dan in a clean up raid and you ask to tagalong and they say they're full when they're not

tears in the rain

Xeteh

I've been making decent gold by farming leather and crafting the rank 3 Warhide bracers. Then disenchanting them for shards and occasionally crystals.

Oh hey, got the Torn Invitation today! Finally!

TheYanger

2.5 hours sounds like something was messing up. it's rare but it happens. I'd leave the queue and requeue in that situation. It shouldn't take more than half an hour even as a DPS at any level range.

Low level Rogue is honestly the most fun I've had leveling a character this side of a Warrior. I've only been playing Assassination, which is the default spec when you first make a Rogue, and once you get Stealth, Cheap Shot and Poisoned Knife, i'ts pretty damned fun.

Alchemy is pretty much one of the best professions currently. The gear based ones are pretty much in dire need of reworking.

I've only been playing WoW for two expansions now, but that seems like it's always the case. Tailoring at least has bags it can craft but Black Smithing and Leather Working seem to mostly just be worthwhile if you want armor and weapons transmogs.

I'll just stick with double gather until 90 and then switch out skinning for Alchemy in WoD content so I can level it a bit before Legion content.

Lain

I've only been playing WoW for two expansions now, but that seems like it's always the case. Tailoring at least has bags it can craft but Black Smithing and Leather Working seem to mostly just be worthwhile if you want armor and weapons transmogs.

I'll just stick with double gather until 90 and then switch out skinning for Alchemy in WoD content so I can level it a bit before Legion content.

I wouldn't say that it is always the case all the while agreeing on the fact that gear crafting professions peaking way sooner in usefulness compared to stuff like alchemy/enchanting is the way the game has usually worked.
WoD, which sucked for professions imo, managed to offer a better way to still keep the crafted stuff worthwhile and be less tedious. Pandaria added some nice stuff over time (I liked the weapons you could craft and upgrade) like in BC.

Tarazet

I wouldn't say that it is always the case all the while agreeing on the fact that gear crafting professions peaking way sooner in usefulness compared to stuff like alchemy/enchanting is the way the game has usually worked.
WoD, which sucked for professions imo, managed to offer a better way to still keep the crafted stuff worthwhile and be less tedious. Pandaria added some nice stuff over time (I liked the weapons you could craft and upgrade) like in BC.

The gear crafting professions are useful for alts only at this point. Even then, the requirement for Blood of Sargeras to use an Obliterum is a bit of a cockblock.

mclem

I'm surprised there's not been something of the form of "Blacksmiths/Leatherworkers/Tailors can warforge items."

It works thematically, it's a skill that could be useful throughout the expansion, and Titanforge could still be out-of-reach, so there's still a chance of an upgrade beyond the default. The downside, of course, is that old 'need to upgrade items mid-raid to get the best use out of them' thing.

I'm surprised there's not been something of the form of "Blacksmiths/Leatherworkers/Tailors can warforge items."

It works thematically, it's a skill that could be useful throughout the expansion, and Titanforge could still be out-of-reach, so there's still a chance of an upgrade beyond the default. The downside, of course, is that old 'need to upgrade items mid-raid to get the best use out of them' thing.

Well I mean, belt-buckles used to be a thing, and were a main source of income for blacksmiths between tier releases.

With the way gems work now it's kinda surprising that they aren't a thing.

mclem

Well I mean, belt-buckles used to be a thing, and were a main source of income for blacksmiths between tier releases.

With the way gems work now it's kinda surprising that they aren't a thing.

I think the problem with belt-buckles is that they're a one-and-done thing until a given player gets *another* belt upgrade, and they're not attractive in themselves, but only in conjunction with JC. The ability to warforge would be beneficial continuously

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Guys, is there an easy way to change artifact weapons? I'm an Outlaw rogue now with Dreadblades, but I'd like to change it. I'm level 110.

What do you mean change? Haven't you done the quests for the other 2 while you were lvling? You automatically equip them when changing specs.

Top Bottom