• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

There was a new Q&A yesterday. A couple of things I want to comment on.

The Balance of Power skins will not be made account wide. They are weapon and character specific cosmetic rewards that reflect your accomplishments on that character. The team is looking at the steps and how much effort is required.

This is unfortunate and something I hope is reconsidered later on in the expansion. I wonder why they decided to make that color tied to archaeology account-wide but not this one.

Hidden appearances from raid and dungeon bosses now have bad luck protection as of Patch 7.1.5

I was wondering about this. After the patch hit the hidden appearances for Guardian and Balance dropped pretty fast. Shame there's still some tied behind RNG that aren't affected by that protection.

Corpekata

Banned
They at the very least need to make it so as time goes on, for instance, the EN quest drops come from raid finder since it's tedious to find a regular EN run these days and it will only get harder for anything but achievement whores and whatnot.

Corpekata

Banned
I got Cindaria tonight too on my boomkin. 5th legendary, and it was also the most recent one I got on another toon, my demon hunter tank.

Really wanting to get the wrists. I've got 2 DPS legendaries and the rest offering very limited utility (boots, chest, belt) so I haven't really had the opportunity to mess around with switching depending on fights. Only have ever tossed the boots into the rotation on fights where guild has struggled with healing.

thats like the best legendary tho!

Eh, it's like 2nd or 3rd best depending. Still not Anger of the Half-Giants though. I now have a 20% chance to get Anger on my next legendary, and a 40% chance to get a "good" one, the other being shoulders.

Bracers are bad, Prydaz is mediocre at best and Trinket is okay, but I wouldn't want to deal with the on-use.

Tacitus_

If a Legendary can drop for your spec, it counts. An easy way to check this is to open the Adventure Guide ingame (Shift-J by default) and click the "Loot" tab without having a dungeon or raid selected. That'll show you which Legendaries are counted for your spec.

Oh for fucks sake. Where's my bad-luck-protection for Blizzards design decisions?

Lomax

But no bad luck protection for the ones from withered training that you can only run a third as much as a heroic? Not to mention it takes longer? Stellar.

Quite frankly *everything* in the game should have bad luck protection to some degree now. It's just a better system than pure randomness.

Eh cin is definitely amazing for dh though.

I'm disappointed but not exceptionally so this time. More of an "everything went better than expected". It does synergize well with the initial meta burst window, and it has perfect stats. I just need to do some re-itemization now, as it gives me the flexibility to drop Raddon's for a tier helm and use Sephuz instead on raid encounters. Have room to use the CoS/Arcway mastery set as well. Need a better pair of the gloves though. Might be something I'm forgetting but yeah.

Oh for fucks sake. Where's my bad-luck-protection for Blizzards design decisions?

Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to abandon the unidentified legendary token idea. I'd like to hear the reasoning for that decision over just straight screwing people with loads of utility legendaries. At least that's how it's currently presented unless things change.

vocab

I'd like to hear the reasoning for that decision over just straight screwing people with loads of utility legendaries..

"People will just pick the good one"

Blizzard both admitting ignorance and creating bad legendaries in the game. If theres one things the devs have problems with, its admitting their retarded.

There was a new Q&A yesterday. A couple of things I want to comment on.

This is unfortunate and something I hope is reconsidered later on in the expansion. I wonder why they decided to make that color tied to archaeology account-wide but not this one.

I was wondering about this. After the patch hit the hidden appearances for Guardian and Balance dropped pretty fast. Shame there's still some tied behind RNG that aren't affected by that protection.

Not making the appearances account wide, or at LEAST not setting it up so that balance of power isn't required to get the other unlocks from that row kind of shows blizzard being very wishy-washy about what is and isn't about "Player choice". The big thing they've said this expansion is "We want to give you options on how to play and progress". And that would make sense if the rest of that row was unlocked and wasn't reliant on the Balance of Power quest line. You can complete a mythic 15 or glory of the legion hero without rolling through the nighold and that's a very real path of progression for some people. And if you do those achievements you should get access to that color on that row. To not allow that flies in the face of what Blizz has said about being able to play how you want to.

I suspect the reason they're not making it account wide is so they can continue to have a reason to get people to run older content as not everyone is up-to-speed on this quest line. If they unlocked the row (based on your other achievements) or made it account wide I think most people wouldn't go back and do emerald nightmare or anything else. They're just obfuscating the fact that they designed it this way to get people to keep cycling through content. Thing is, I wish they'd just SAY that. Even if people didn't like it. Just be honest.

Tacitus_

"People will just pick the good one"

Blizzard both admitting ignorance and creating bad legendaries in the game. If theres one things the devs have problems with, its admitting their retarded.

Yeah, that's probably the worst thing about Blizzard. They insist on how things are fine until the next thing is out and then they admit that "OK, things were not fine".

Epix

Why not just make legendaries simple and always increase the target output of whatever spec you're playing (essentially get rid of utility legendaries completely). It feels like Blizz is cramming utility legenaries down our throats screaming "Love it, EAT IT!!!"

IE:
DPS legendaries increase DPS
Tanking legendaries increase tankiness
Healing legendaries increase healing abilities

Make it all like the above or make only utility legendaries. It's the mix of both that's causing the problems.

By the way, Twitch allows name changes every 60 days now starting today.

Might change mine, not sure. Cause it's the same as my GAF username, which goes back awhile (predates GAF for me) and it's kind of a mouthful.

Doesn't really mean as much anymore. Don't know if I'd want to get my GAF name changed as well.

Why not just make legendaries simple and always increase the target output of whatever spec you're playing (essentially get rid of utility legendaries completely). It feels like Blizz is cramming utility legenaries down our throats screaming "Love it, EAT IT!!!"

IE:

Make it all like the above or make only utility legendaries. It's the mix of both that's causing the problems.

People say this as a solution sometimes, but I don't know if it's really that easy.

v1perz53

By the way, Twitch allows name changes every 60 days now starting today.

Might change mine, not sure. Cause it's the same as my GAF username, which goes back awhile (predates GAF for me) and it's kind of a mouthful.

Doesn't really mean as much anymore. Don't know if I'd want to get my GAF name changed as well.

Wha this is a possibility? Man I would love to be rid of this horrible username I made when I was in 6th grade. Though I always find some random username I can't change preventing me from seamlessly switching to a new username fully, nowadays it is PSN and the inability to change your damn name in that.

Wha this is a possibility? Man I would love to be rid of this horrible username I made when I was in 6th grade. Though I always find some random username I can't change preventing me from seamlessly switching to a new username fully, nowadays it is PSN and the inability to change your damn name in that.

Yeah, just contact a mod and they will do it for you. One under the "Forum Administrators" category.

Not sure if the others can do it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

IE:

Problem is, unless they all have the exact same throughput, you'll always have people still upset that they didn't get the 'best' one.

It's better than getting a utility one, but the disparity still (potentially) exists.

Tacitus_

Problem is, unless they all have the exact same throughput, you'll always have people still upset that they didn't get the 'best' one.

It's better than getting a utility one, but the disparity still (potentially) exists.

Going the other direction would be better imo. Choosing between say, life gain or mobility would be an interesting(tm) choice. Obviously there'd be a best item for each fight or playstyle, but at least being able to stay in the fire for a while instead of moving more efficiently doesn't have such extreme differences.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
damnit i guess i may end up HC raiding for tomb again -.-

AnNrbkG.gif

Tarazet

Mine was changed. That was back when I was legendary for certain perverse things on the OT side and had much more notoriety. Also the board was much smaller and tighter.

Milennia

plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

side note a friend of mine who plays for limit was just banned because blizzard thought he was a chinese farmer (he handles their sales, which are only gold) bc he spoke mandarin to potential gold buyers.
he cannot speak english well and they will not allow anyone to help him appeal the ban, so in other words this may blow up a bit.
nothing he said in chat was bannable whatsoever.

not sure if racist on blizzards part

plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

side note a friend of mine who plays for limit was just banned because blizzard thought he was a chinese farmer (he handles their sales, which are only gold) bc he spoke mandarin to potential gold buyers.
he cannot speak english well and they will not allow anyone to help him appeal the ban, so in other words this may blow up a bit.

not sure if racist on blizzards part

uh if he handles their sales, isn't that...helping out the gold farmers?

Milennia

uh if he handles their sales, isn't that...helping out the gold farmers?

Every guild does this, to my understanding he did not trade hands with a farmer, which are basically classified in blizzards handbook as level 1 chinese characters.

No guild who deals in sales would be so gullible, they would first have the gold funneled if they were to accept it in such a way.

Basically he was banned for speaking mandarin and saying gold in chat.

Xeteh

I haven't played in a while much less played my Shaman and I see things changed since then. Any good resources for Enhancement? Not entirely sure I'm digging the talent changes but I like the class still so whatever.

Strimei

I imagine archaeology, due to the cycling thing, takes longer, wouldn't it? At a bare minimum, its 16 weeks before you get it.

That said, I think its dumb to not have Balance of Power be account wide.

Lomax

I think everything should be account wide, the concept of per character is antiquated and there's basically no one now except brand new players without multiple max level characters.

So how does this legendary drop shit work now? Is it per account or per character? I have one legendary on my Demon Hunter and none on anyone else.

Strimei

I think everything should be account wide, the concept of per character is antiquated and there's basically no one now except brand new players without multiple max level characters.

Aren't they also changing the one-character-only PVP mounts to be account-wide now too?

So how does this legendary drop shit work now? Is it per account or per character? I have one legendary on my Demon Hunter and none on anyone else.

Per-character. From what I understand basically everything you do increases your odds of getting a drop (just very, very slightly), so its wise especially to do stuff like the emissary of the day and open every treasure chest you can.

I imagine archaeology, due to the cycling thing, takes longer, wouldn't it? At a bare minimum, its 16 weeks before you get it.

That said, I think its dumb to not have Balance of Power be account wide.

I think Balance of Power took about that long for me because of the low drop rate on those essences. There were weeks I'd go through normal and heroic and not get a single one. Apparently it's fixed now so that part should be much quicker.

Einchy

So, I was doing a BG since I'm very close to getting my last prestige level and then this happened...

A8fSr9R.png

I'm out the legendary grin.
nxVEy5A.jpg

PatzCU

Balance of Power is really not that bad. I got 19 corrupt essences in my FIRST ever normal emerald nightmare. Why is it so bad that you get rewarded for investing time into a character? If everyone playing their alt Druid has the same artifact appearance as your main, what fun is that?

v1perz53

I couldn't care less about Balance of Power being account wide, I just want them to make it so any of my characters that do a +15 mythic can use the skin earned from that, even if they haven't done that stupid quest line. Absolutely ridiculous that they don't understand how idiotic this is.

Balance of Power is really not that bad. I got 19 corrupt essences in my FIRST ever normal emerald nightmare. Why is it so bad that you get rewarded for investing time into a character? If everyone playing their alt Druid has the same artifact appearance as your main, what fun is that?

Because this stupid quest line is required for using appearances unlocked by doing nothing related to raiding. And requires you to do content that literally offers nothing for you besides the quest line items. My Druid is ilvl 900, I don't raid, only do M+. Going back and pugging EN normal for this quest is literally a waste of my time each week aside from doing this one quest, but I cannot show off the skin for doing a +15 Mythic in the time limit unless I do this. It also gets stupider as time goes on, who will be running EN normal which drops like 860 ilvl gear in 7.2 when we all have 920 ilvl? Should anyone who makes a new character have to pull teeth to get this done?

Also, it didn't used to be like that, before you would be lucky to get 3-4 essences per week. It is faster now, but it damn well better be when you are doing trivial content that drops nothing of value.

Congrats, it took me around two months to get that many.

The "fun" is having neat appearances to use. Variety is fun. I hate the idea of anyone playing, especially casuals, to miss out on that if it's something they enjoy. The uniqueness means nothing to me.

Einchy

I wish they'd make it a lot easier to get on alts once you got it on your main. Having to do it all over again has been a huge pain in the ass on my Pally.

[edit]

And it's not like it's something hard to get, it just makes you do a bunch of content that's pointless.

My Pally is 891 but now I have to do EN, a bunch of the Surama questline, a bunch of non-keystone mythics and then finally NH. I wouldn't even say it's that time consuming but it's just really boring and annoying.

I wish they'd make it a lot easier to get on alts once you got it on your main. Having to do it all over again has been a huge pain in the ass on my Pally.

[edit]

And it's not like it's something hard to get, it just makes you do a bunch of content that's pointless.

My Pally is 891 but now I have to do EN, a bunch of the Surama questline, a bunch of non-keystone mythics and then finally NH. I wouldn't even say it's that time consuming but it's just really boring and annoying.

Yep. I just can't bring myself to go through it all again, even if the essences are easier to get. I'm burnt out on Emerald Nightmare. A lot of content from the quest line would have to be cut for me to do it again.

Lain

Just got my 4th leg on my Paladin from an emissary chest and obviously it's one of the most useless.
8eoc.png

At least it wasn't Sephuz. I could use the gloves in place of Aggramar's Stride.
Hoping for the belt, the ring or the shoulders is asking too much I guess.

mclem

Balance of Power is really not that bad. I got 19 corrupt essences in my FIRST ever normal emerald nightmare.

The droprates for that were very bizarre - I was ridiculously lucky or something, because I was finished with the Essence collection literally a month before some others were.

I'm now only one short of the Nighthold collection, too, and I've only been on that stage for a week.

Top Bottom