• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

I'm a fury WAR and it's kinda boring. Just use wep throw+charge+whirlwind=dead. Infact, whirlwind kills everything super fast anyways. For a boss throw on berserk and war cry and burn it down. Problem is none of my skills are flashy. It's basically AA and it's disappointing. Are WARs just kinda boring in general? How are DKs? Do they get cool skills that aren't just regular attacks with the same animation?

What's funny about this is the melee animations all just underwent a serious overhaul in 7.0. So what looks boring to you is actually pretty flash compared to what was there before.

If Warrior isn't doing it for you, I don't know what will in the melee classes outside of maybe a Windwalker Monk.

What's funny about this is the melee animations all just underwent a serious overhaul in 7.0. So what looks boring to you is actually pretty flash compared to what was there before.

If Warrior isn't doing it for you, I don't know what will in the melee classes outside of maybe a Windwalker Monk.

Enchance Shaman

Demon Hunter

Even DK would be 'flashier' than Warrior.

Paladin I've always considered a caster melee, because alot of their spells are literally..white flashes of light, some which are ranged and casted.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kind of preferred the old meat and potatoes warrior animations instead of the spinny twirly ribbon dancing whirlwind and the like

its why i played an orc warrior for those meaty 2 hander execution animations

Tarazet

How is survivability for Fury? I messed around with it at the start of the expansion and could barely stay alive while doing normal questing. That increased damage intake really hurts.

Compared to the other melee DPS - it's really about the same. Paladins refuse to die, FDruids have self healing out the wazoo, but the rest of them are all pretty squishy. Rogues, DKs, Warriors, Survival Hunters, and Monks are all vulnerable compared to the god-tier solo classes, BDruid Warlock or BM Hunter.

Jag

I just logged in for the first time in three or four years and I'm so lost. And everyone's a billionaire now.

Gold is easy to get. If you boosted a 100, take 2 gathering professions and sell your haul. You get XP from gathering too now.

If you have a stock of low level mats, they may be worth something too. You can install tradeskillmaster (TSM) mod to make the most out of what you have.

Wowhead is your friend too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Nighthold Class Hall mission came up today, can't wait to get some useless item that will be DE'd on the spot.

Huh. Dungeons are super fast xp...faster then questing. I went from 62 to 65 in the span of an hour.

Dungeons are fast when there's quests to complete. The exp gain falls off dramatically without quests to turn in. TBC dungeons are remarkably fast to level through, especially after the ten level slog through Blackrock Depths.

Lain

Tried to do Ra-Den 25 solo with my lock. I thought "hey, I did it in two tries the other day with the Hunter, how difficult could it be".
Took 26 tries but I managed to do it. Also got most of the lock set transmog in one run so at least that was nice.

Einchy

Nighthold Class Hall mission came up today, can't wait to get some useless item that will be DE'd on the spot.

GLyqYEu.png

It's shiet confirmed.

v1perz53

Tried to do Ra-Den 25 solo with my lock. I thought "hey, I did it in two tries the other day with the Hunter, how difficult could it be".
Took 26 tries but I managed to do it. Also got most of the lock set transmog in one run so at least that was nice.

Ra-Den 25 goes from absolute joke to fully impossible based on your DPS, its kind of funny. It took me like 15 tries to do on my 895 Guardian druid the first time, since tank and especially Guardian druid ST DPS isn't that great. Kept getting him to ~45% when he got the second orb and insta killed me (need to push below 40%). Tried it on my 875 ret pally and it was a joke hah. Similar to 25H Amber Shaper I guess, felt nearly impossible until I fount a way to maximize my DPS to skip all the transforms.

Luckily, Ra-Den doesn't seem to drop anything that unique or appealing, so I don't have to do it for transmog.

Ra-Den 25 goes from absolute joke to fully impossible based on your DPS, its kind of funny. It took me like 15 tries to do on my 895 Guardian druid the first time, since tank and especially Guardian druid ST DPS isn't that great. Kept getting him to ~45% when he got the second orb and insta killed me (need to push below 40%). Tried it on my 875 ret pally and it was a joke hah. Similar to 25H Amber Shaper I guess, felt nearly impossible until I fount a way to maximize my DPS to skip all the transforms.

Luckily, Ra-Den doesn't seem to drop anything that unique or appealing, so I don't have to do it for transmog.

How do you beat 25h amber shaper solo? The fight resets for me when he transforms you..

TheYanger

Huh, I managed to glitch the game and fly without a mount

Me flying without a mount

My game crashed shortly afterwards. I managed to zone into Hellfire and there were no NPCs, enemies or players.

You were probably desynched/lagging out, you can see you've got your mount buff in the top right, the spell probably never actually finished casting on your end. it happens, though fairly rarely. You crashing afterwards was the server telling your client it was fucking up.

You were probably desynched/lagging out, you can see you've got your mount buff in the top right, the spell probably never actually finished casting on your end. it happens, though fairly rarely. You crashing afterwards was the server telling your client it was fucking up.

my PC crashed though. That was the weird part. I could also talk to guildmates.

v1perz53

How do you beat 25h amber shaper solo? The fight resets for me when he transforms you..

Purely has to do with how much DPS you can do, if you hit each transition right before he would transform you he kind of skips the cast until the next time he would've done it. So get him to 70% before the first transform, then kill add asap, then kill him asap when he runs to the middle. Very inconsistent but I was able to do it on my 880 ret with absolute max burst.

I don't recommend it though, honestly just better doing 10H each week if you're going for transmog...

Legion's PVE doesn't really hold up for multiple play-throughs.

I agree. It was really solid the first time through but the fact that you basically have to do nearly all of the same 4 zones every alt you want to level gets old very quickly. It is hurt a lot by the fact that there are really no ways to level at a reasonable speed now aside from straight questing. At least WoD had treasure hunting, dungeons or superboost with XP potion levelling to mix things up on alts.

Purely has to do with how much DPS you can do, if you hit each transition right before he would transform you he kind of skips the cast until the next time he would've done it. So get him to 70% before the first transform, then kill add asap, then kill him asap when he runs to the middle. Very inconsistent but I was able to do it on my 880 ret with absolute max burst.

I don't recommend it though, honestly just better doing 10H each week if you're going for transmog....

Hmm.

Well I soloed mythic Siege tonight. So I figure anything before that is chicken breast.(Last time I tried to solo heart of fear 25m, it was when I was like...840. NOW I AM 850.)

lazygecko

I think leveling through story heavy, super scripted quests hold up significantly less on multiple playthroughs compared to the traditional cookie cutter MMO questing formula. The manner in which these quests are designed introduce so much padding where you have to wait for story scenes and NPC interactions to play out before you can move on. Yeah, they can be novel and interesting the first time you experience them, but once you're doing them again with an alt it becomes pretty infuriating when you know you could just be blasting through all those quests at your own pace.

Tarazet

Hmm.

Well I soloed mythic Siege tonight. So I figure anything before that is chicken breast.(Last time I tried to solo heart of fear 25m, it was when I was like...840. NOW I AM 850.)

I was able to do that up to Paragons. Getting mind controlled put an end to that adventure.. which is a shame, but not the end of the world.

Lain

Yeah, it was feeling downright impossible for me until I went to repair again and remembered to switch around a couple talents I had changed to do Dark Animus, plus decided to stop trying to make my pet tank for the second 100 energy special, instead using a DPS one after my tank pet died to the first 100 energy special and going all out. That way I managed to push him to the second phase before the second 100 energy special and killed him easily.

Today I tried one of those infinite roll charges items on my monk and I'm not sure how I'll ever manage to keep going without having that effect always available. It's too addicting.

The bots were out in force last night in Suramar. Almost back to pre-ban levels it looks like. Was waiting at that quest in Anora Hollow on an alt and there was almost always at least one in view for 5-10 minutes.

I was able to do that up to Paragons. Getting mind controlled put an end to that adventure.. which is a shame, but not the end of the world.

Talking about the mind control that leads you into the bug? You can still cast single target spells against the bug.(then again I ice blocked while in it, while that didnt remove the auto run it allowed me to target after.)

I can't think of a single leveling experience that holds up after doing it multiple times.

At some point it all gets old, but I think for most other expansions, the second and third go-round was more pleasant than it is for Legion.

That's the eternal struggle with this game. How do you balance prioritizing first play-through vs. alt runs.

v1perz53

I can't think of a single leveling experience that holds up after doing it multiple times.

yeah weird complaint. No mmo levelling content 'holds up' for playing through it a bunch of times.

I mean, if you're doing the same thing every time it doesn't hold up no matter the expansion, but most past expansions at least offered various ways in which you could level so that you could do it 2-3 times without repeating too much. WotLK/Cata having multiple starting zone options, MoP having Krasarang/Vot4W, hell in WoD you could level a character doing no quests and just finding toys and treasures in the world. And dungeon levelling was always a reasonable option, not always the fastest but generally possible. Hell, even grinding was an option before Legion. I have a lot of alts and I've hit max level on at least 5 characters per expansion since TBC, and there was always plenty of variety in how to level.

But for Legion, if you are just interested in getting from 100 to 110 reasonably quickly you have 4 zones to pick from and will be doing 3.5 of the main stories completely, or 2.5 zones if you do all non-main story quests (losing out on the 800 pieces in the process), you will do every levelling dungeon once for the quest. Dungeon levelling, grinding, treasure finding are not options anymore, just the same 3.5 out of 4 zones on every character. Its funny, the point of the Legion levelling experience was to let you do zones in any order and make things feel like you had more choice, but in reality you have far less choice in how you level than you ever did before. And this is coming from someone who hates repeating things, and levelled every class to 100 in WoD, there were TONS of different ways to hit max level that expansion.

TheYanger

my PC crashed though. That was the weird part. I could also talk to guildmates.

Yeah, chat servers and the 'gameplay' servers are run seperately. If the server is crashing or if you're lagging out due to a connection issue it's not uncommon to be able to chat while you're 'lagging' really bad in game. Your actual computer crashing may have been related to what caused you to desynch if the server wasn't crashing, but that is a relatively common end result if something is fucking up :)

I've got some screenshots from when one of the raid zones opened a few years ago and the instance was lagging out and we had to cancel our raid early, I just stayed in there chatting while lagged out and the boss kept yelling every 30 seconds like he was still active for hours and hours. My boss mod kept reacting to it too.

I mean, if you're doing the same thing every time it doesn't hold up no matter the expansion, but most past expansions at least offered various ways in which you could level so that you could do it 2-3 times without repeating too much. WotLK/Cata having multiple starting zone options, MoP having Krasarang/Vot4W, hell in WoD you could level a character doing no quests and just finding toys and treasures in the world. And dungeon levelling was always a reasonable option, not always the fastest but generally possible. Hell, even grinding was an option before Legion. I have a lot of alts and I've hit max level on at least 5 characters per expansion since TBC, and there was always plenty of variety in how to level.

But for Legion, if you are just interested in getting from 100 to 110 reasonably quickly you have 4 zones to pick from and will be doing 3.5 of the main stories completely, or 2.5 zones if you do all non-main story quests (losing out on the 800 pieces in the process), you will do every levelling dungeon once for the quest. Dungeon levelling, grinding, treasure finding are not options anymore, just the same 3.5 out of 4 zones on every character. Its funny, the point of the Legion levelling experience was to let you do zones in any order and make things feel like you had more choice, but in reality you have far less choice in how you level than you ever did before. And this is coming from someone who hates repeating things, and levelled every class to 100 in WoD, there were TONS of different ways to hit max level that expansion.

I mean...you say you don't have choice, but then also in the same breath say it's just because other things aren't as efficient. I hate to break it to you, but there are more and less efficient ways to level through every stretch. All of my Legion alts have done VASTLY less content than all of it, meaning I had as much choice there (I could skip an entire zone if I wanted to on every alt I've levelled) or do some extra dungeons or whatever, the xp from them isn't actually that bad. The only reason you're seeing those alternatives as poor is because it's INCREDIBLY fast to just quest up, which I don't see as a flaw but as a blessing. Don't get me wrong, I hate levelling alts, but that's been true since the game released, given the choice I'd prefer it be faster not longer.

Like, yeah you CAN quest instead of dungeon grind at low levels, but you shouldn't. Just like you shouldn't dungeon spam in legion, but you can, it's not like it's literally so inefficient that you won't make it, it's probably like 2/3 as fast as questing.

The last few bosses of Brawler's Guild as a demo lock (its by far my strongest artifact) suck asssssss.

I'm just gonna use the Darkmoon Faire thing that can give you 50% haste, 100% crit or 100% dmg and the 15% buff off Operation Murloc Freedom.

Einchy

It will only break in raids/dungeons. Dalaran (for example) will still work fine.

The screenshot was to show people what it looked like incase they didn't know about it already.

And I got the addon because of raids, so it still working in Dalaran is kind of besides the point.

v1perz53

I mean...you say you don't have choice, but then also in the same breath say it's just because other things aren't as efficient. I hate to break it to you, but there are more and less efficient ways to level through every stretch. All of my Legion alts have done VASTLY less content than all of it, meaning I had as much choice there (I could skip an entire zone if I wanted to on every alt I've levelled) or do some extra dungeons or whatever, the xp from them isn't actually that bad. The only reason you're seeing those alternatives as poor is because it's INCREDIBLY fast to just quest up, which I don't see as a flaw but as a blessing. Don't get me wrong, I hate levelling alts, but that's been true since the game released, given the choice I'd prefer it be faster not longer.

Like, yeah you CAN quest instead of dungeon grind at low levels, but you shouldn't. Just like you shouldn't dungeon spam in legion, but you can, it's not like it's literally so inefficient that you won't make it, it's probably like 2/3 as fast as questing.

Don't even try to say levelling is easier now, you could level an alt from 90 to 100 in 2 hours of prep and one 15 minute potion timer. To be fair, that was too easy though. And yes, obviously I'm seeing the alternatives as poor because questing is faster, that's the whole point. Not like I'm advocating nerfing questing XP, just buffing dungeon XP to be like 80% as fast as questing. A random dungeon completion gives as much XP as completing ~7 quests, that isn't even comparable XP wise (80k XP for random, 20k for completion).

If you are trying to go 100 to 110 as quickly as possible, say over a weekend, and have no XP missions or rested XP, doing three zones from start through the dungeon quest gets you halfway through 108, I've done it on four alts now. Sure, if you level your alt over a couple weeks, you have to do less cause of rest and XP missions, but that's not what I'm talking about. Any other method of levelling will either take double as long or more, or just awards you with so much less gear/AP/relics that it is hard to justify. Even side quests are barely worth doing because the 800 items from completing main stories are quite useful.

There was always a "best method" for levelling, but in the past each option had pros and cons, now questing is simply best and you are silly for trying anything else, and it gets boring. Not saying this needs to change or is crazy bad, just that levelling alts in legion is the most boring it has ever been unless you specifically choose to be very inefficient.

Don't forget, you can level via pet battles!

Funny enough, this is the one alternative to questing that truly exists, since a single random pet battle win gives almost as much XP as a quest turnin. Breaking into pet battling is very intimidating though, so not the most accessible option.

It will only break in raids/dungeons. Dalaran (for example) will still work fine.

But pretty much the only use of friendly nameplates is in raids/dungeons and BG/arena. Not sure why anyone would have friendly nameplates on in Dalaran, or even in the main world. At least it is staying in BG/arena.

yeah weird complaint. No mmo levelling content 'holds up' for playing through it a bunch of times.

Previous expansions PVE wore thin a lot slower for me than Legion's. It's only my third time through Legion's PVE from start to finish and the only Legion zone I can say I like is Azsuna, mainly because it's the shortest.

I really do hate those quests where you have to hunt a rare monster with a timed spawn. I spent the better part of my afternoon camping said monster, only for alliance jokers to snipe my kill. Found a nice horde guy that grouped with me and we finished the quest together. An alliance guy came by and was too late too the kill. Better luck next time :p!

I'm onwards to 70 soon. I've noticed the game has become kinda grindy. I''m no longer out-leveling my quest zones.

I agree. It was really solid the first time through but the fact that you basically have to do nearly all of the same 4 zones every alt you want to level gets old very quickly. It is hurt a lot by the fact that there are really no ways to level at a reasonable speed now aside from straight questing. At least WoD had treasure hunting, dungeons or superboost with XP potion levelling to mix things up on alts.

Ya gunna have to grind no matter what. Thats just the nature of MMOs. I've yet to play an MMO that doesn't have a shit ton of grinding. Even TESO had an insane grind at endgame. The grind was so bad they had to remove it and replace it with a more efficient grind.

I really do hate those quests where you have to hunt a rare monster with a timed spawn. I spent the better part of my afternoon camping said monster, only for alliance jokers to snipe my kill. Found a nice horde guy that grouped with me and we finished the quest together. An alliance guy came by and was too late too the kill. Better luck next time :p!

I'm onwards to 70 soon. I've noticed the game has become kinda grindy. I''m no longer out-leveling my quest zones.

Ya gunna have to grind no matter what. Thats just the nature of MMOs. I've yet to play an MMO that doesn't have a shit ton of grinding.

That's the burning crusade for ya. It gets better post 70.

Einchy

What's the hardest boss on a +15 Tyrannical?

I was thinking Heimdall, Shade or Advisor but this week with Volcanic Helya and Wrath are extremely brutal.

The lady boss in HoV, the one after Heimdall.

The raid wide damage she does on the left side will kill you if your healer doesn't pop some CDs, and even then, players need to pop some defensives. It's insane how much damage that does compared to other bosses.

The lady boss in HoV, the one after Heimdall.

The raid wide damage she does on the left side will kill you if your healer doesn't pop some CDs, and even then, players need to pop some defensives. It's insane how much damage that does compared to other bosses.

Last night on 14 we had way more trouble on Heimdall (four wipes) then her (one shot)

We made the timer with 4 seconds left. Heimdall sucks.

Top Bottom